ALBA GU BRATH edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
What's the best subclass to play a scotsman?

Here's how the last few sessions of my game went. How're your games, anons?

>2.27 MB
Boy, did I fuck up

We just had the first real session of my game, everyone says it was a blast and there was a lot of role playing and one fun combat. Also one big fat plothook that they all seem more than willing to take.

Barbarian+Fighter

I missed last session because my grandmother passed away, and I'm rolling up a new character for this coming session because I was bored to tears with my old one.

I had a dm that claimed to be experienced after running two solo games with his wife. He started relying on shitty dandwiki homebrew that we could tell was unbalanced just at first glance because "We've already really done everything we can with official content." He started dming for my group and he didn't even know what disengage did.
>"I need to get the fuck out of here."
>"Keep in mind that you're in that monsters melee range."
>"I'm gonna spend a ki point to use step of the wind to disengage, then I'm gonna run this way."
>"Okay, but I don't think disengaging stops opportunity attacks."
>"... That's exactly what it does though."

Without spoiling anything about the campaign to me beyond what a typical resident of Port Nyanzaru would know, how good/bad an idea is it if I want to roll up a yuan-ti pureblood character for Tomb of Annihilation?

You should roll your grandmother.

Boy, that doesn't look like a pureblood to me

It's fucking awful because fuck your fetishes.

Always battlemaster

Barbarian or Druid

this is their official art

I know, but I like the pic, and with a Charlatan background I'd be proficient with Disguise kits. I wouldn't necessarily look like her anyway - actually I was thinking College of Whispers bard.

Hang on, here's the character I wrote up, using the information in Volo's Guide:

>Talas was a spy sent to insinuate and undermine the society of Port Nyanzaru. Technically she did not fail, and in fact she perfectly blended in to the society and became enamored with human culture, subsuming herself into her human identity as a bard – however, another member of her coven was discovered and betrayed them all to the humans.

>“I insinuate myself into people’s lives to prey on their weaknesses and secure their fortunes.”
>“I have very high standards for food, drink, and physical pleasures.”
>“I am interested in modern human culture, even as primitive as it is.”
>“I display my wealth as a sign of my power and prosperity.”
>“I am enamored with the culture and trappings of humanity, and wish to be a part of it.”
>“I feel twinges of emotion, and it shames me that I am imperfect in this way.”

My idea for the character is sort of like Rick O'Connell in the 1999 Mummy, in that she starts as a prisoner in Port Nyanzaru that the other PCs will free because she is from Omu and offers her services as a guide in exchange for her freedom. Although specifically I plan on phrasing things like so: "I am from Omu, you know. You will need a guide to take you there, and can you think of a better guide than me?"

Note that she did not technically state that she knows the way to Omu. Because she doesn't. That's what the scouts and guides were for, it wasn't her job.

>gives them a better ASI due to having a weaker feat
Nope, even the ASI is the same, because the feat comes with a +1 to any score which can stack on top of one of the racial +1s. Locking someone to a specific feat is a house rule. I don't think you can call it "homebrew" if nothing was created. For the record, I like the rule.

Why is it that races always have a set ability score boost? Shouldn't it just be that your class gives you +2 to your main stat and +1 to another, and your race gives you unique powers? It's weird how you can't just play a PHB tiefling as a decent rogue or fighter or a Dragonborn wizard without being completely useless compared to the elf rogue or the gnome wizard.

Technically the pic only hits one of my fetishes, which is small boobs.

Wrote rules for PCs into Death Knights and Liches since the vile apotheosis ritual exists, yet there isn't any further explanation.
c&c welcomed

>liking small boobs

Flat is justice.

Thought about running CoS but read that some encounters were nightmareishly difficult, so I watched Chris Perkins, the lead designer of CoS, playthrough of the module to see how he handled it.

>party gets to Old Bonegrinder
>instead of 3 Night Hags (in a coven) he changes it to 2 Green Hags (no coven)
>obviously fudging rolls and going easy on party
>NPC insta-kills one hag off-screen
>party kills the other while it should still have loads of health left
>mfw the fucking lead designer completely abandons the difficulty of CoS that he himself designed

You can't just AIM to become a death knight. The whole thing is that it's a curse and they won't be freed until they redeem themselves.

which is why I can't watch any of these DnD series.

>It's weird how you can't just play a PHB tiefling as a decent rogue or fighter
But you can? A daily casting Darkness is handy for any rogue, and +1 to INT could equally benefit an Arcane Trickster or an Eldrich Knight. The tiefling fighter in my group is getting a lot of mileage out of her fire damage resistance and Hellish Rebuke. Fighters and Rogues get plenty of ASIs, anyway, if having 20 DEX is really a deal maker for you.

>instead of 3 Night Hags (in a coven) he changes it to 2 Green Hags (no coven)
Wow. That's not just a 1 CR drop, that's like an entire tier.

>she is from Omu
Just... you know, check with your DM first because that has some substantial plot implications.

Big fite against a Quarmallian fortress created with the Mighty Fortress spell, defended by mercenaries from Carce, including a pair of 10th level Eldritch Knights, an Arcane Archer, a 12th level conjuror and a 17th level Shapeshifter that works like a Moon Druid but Aberrations.

Displacer Beasts, Perytons, Arboreal Stranglers and some huge floating Octopus aberration.

Party was controlling one of their NPC allies (shorthanded on an index card) in addition to their regular character. Battlefield was the new Piazo Fortress Map and a Jungle flip-mat (they were rescuing some natives from Klesh).

Shit was cash, the Conjuror with a Ring of X-Ray vision kept swapped herself twice with Quarmallian Brutes (basically Flesh Golems) with the Conjuror class ability, and fucking with the party using stuff like the Scatter Spell.

A damn good fight to wrap up the Klesh leg of our continuing multi-year Nehwon campaign.

It's because races are inclined to be good at specific things based on their culture and upbringing, with the exception of humans because humans are everywhere and can be good at anything.
>It's weird how you can't just play a PHB tiefling as a decent rogue or fighter or a Dragonborn wizard without being completely useless compared to the elf rogue or the gnome wizard.
But you can. An additional +2 to a stat amounts to a 5% better attack or saving throw DC. 5% won't make or break a character because a d20 is a huge die. As long as you don't deliberately gimp yourself with stat assignments, just about any race can make any class work, with the exception of Orc Wizards (and even then, they won't be useless because they're Wizards) or Str Kobolds.

It can be changed to any given yuan-ti settlement that might have connections to or knowledge of Omu. She doesn't actually know the way there anyway, and it's been awhile since she's been home (several years at least), and she frankly prefers living among humans.

Swashbuckler
>Can't use a buckler.
>All swash and no buckler.

Not according to the Book of Vile Darkness. It's specifically regarding that very rare artifact.

Our first session went great. Running Lost Mine using pretty much only the starter set material. The most experienced (honestly practically the only experienced) player is running a half orc barbarian, all the rest are running the premade characters. Almost through Cragmaw Hideout. I accidentally fudged the fight with Yeemik and my players almost killed him before he even got to grab the prisoner (I thought it would be interesting to have him alive later). It was a stumbling mess. It's my first time DMing so I'm not gonna beat myself up over it.

Asked my players a few days after the session what they thought of it. All seemed to be pretty happy with it. The veteran player had some decent feedback. Any general tips you folks might have for a first time DM?

Do you guys have any homebrew for quick combat resolution? I think it would be fun thematically for the party to bop like 30 zombies (and I think they would like it too), but I know they won't die, so going through the motions of a nonlethal fight seems pointless (and time consuming). I'd still like it to be a light resource drain for them(hp, maybe spell slots?)? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

DMs softballing players is quickly becoming my biggest pet peeve. Mercer's Vecna, this, my DM instacuring a curse he himself placed on me. Where the fuck are the consequences???

>The dungeon opens up into a vast cavern illuminated by standing magma 40 feet down. Suspended over the magma is an ancient wooden bridge. Conversely, there is a very thin path running alongside the cavern with footprin-
>I cast a flying/a teleport spell

>The Grand Duke scoffs at your pittance to hire his army to aid you in the coming battle, however he does mention he suspects his Duchess of infidelity and may think of loaning you his army if-
>I cast Charm Person/Suggestion

>The Terrasque swipes at you with its mighty claws; the whiffed force alone is enough to demolish cottages-
>I’m bladesinging and I cast shield and some other spell I can’t remember to get 31 AC

Why do Wizard players even bother playing the game? Serious question

>Letting a wizard just cast spells
Why are you letting your players do that? They have verbal and Somantic components for a fucking reason

Refluff studded leather as leather with a buckler.

A tiamat cultist leader more powerful than the party offers to halt his impending attack on a local village if the party's devotion paladin of Bahamut revokes his vows and receives a brand of Tiamat.

Wwyd?

As a DM, if the player takes the deal, what do?

>I cast Charm Person/Suggestion
If you can't beat them? Join them.

>Court mage casts counterspell

>letting your players get the better of you
You're a disgrace

Magic is very obvious. If you stand there and Charm or Suggest the Duke right in front of his court, somebody is going to take issue. Unless you're a sorc with subtle spell, in which case that's what it's fucking there for.

Tarrasque gets +19 to hit, he only needs a 12/13 to bop the bladesinger

That first one is honestly just convenience that they had it prepared, but if you like you could say hot vents of air coming off the magma sear their skin as they attempt to fly over.

>The dungeon opens up into a vast cavern illuminated by standing magma 40 feet down. You can’t breathe because of the heat, but are able to stay alive for some inexplicable reason. Also your arms are bound by fucking magic for some reason

>The Grand Duke scoffs at your pittance to hire his army to aid you in the coming battle, however he does mention he suspects his Duchess of infidelity and may think of loaning you his army if you can prove her unfaithful. Also, the duke had your arms broken and had you gagged just in case you were hostile

>The Terrasque swipes at you with its mighty claws; the whiffed force alone is enough to demolish cottages and you can’t avoid this by any means besides martial means because reasons

Thanks oh wise Wizard player

I rolled the absolute worst (highest stat is 11, rest are single)

Am I viable or stuck to being a sickly burden on my party

F u bruh

Ignore your stats and Moon Druid

I don't think softballing players is inherently bad, especially if it's in the pursuit of fun. Going full ham and outright slaughtering your players in the final battle that they've been building up to over the course of years is kind of lame, so i can see why Mercer would dumb down his Vecna fight.

I'm assuming you're the guy that got cursed with lycanthropy and then had it immediately cured? Yeah, that's lame, and would definitely get on my nerves because it's such a great source of storyline inspiration immediately snuffed out.
But, the important thing I try to remember when I DM is that the players are supposed to win. Sure, they might fuck up every now and then, and maybe someone dies, or there's unforeseen consequences, but if it's coming time for the final battle of a long campaign, my players are probably going to win in the end, unless they make some really dumb-ass choices.

Why not just have a blurb that recommends what the stereotypical member of a race is good at, and let the player choose if they want to buck that trend. And like dude, don't be coy, you need to have as high an attack modifier and AC as you can, you're sabotaging yourself if you're a fighter and you aren't starting with +3 to attack. Your attacks will land inconsistently.

Line-of-sight teleportation spells should require a spellcasting ability check to ensure accuracy, in my opinion. That way they're still useful for taking the high ground in combat or zooming past guards, but casters are more reluctant to use them for precision jumps across magma pits and stuff.

Did you roll a 4d6d1? What is your stat spread?

You can still be viable for quite some time if you just play a moon druid.

Be a Moon druid and none of your physical stats matter.

But any decent DM would allow you to reroll such a shit array

And any SANE DM wouldn't be rolling for stats in the first place.

That's an unplayable character. Convince your DM to let you reroll, or use point buy or standard array.

I appreciate that as a DM you're presenting your paladin with difficult moral choices. If they revoke their vows, I would probably have them fall, and either let them choose a new Oath that matches Tiamat, or present them with a path to regain their old Oath (but not an easy path by any means.)

If they refuse to revoke their vows, you'd have to consider what they do after. Simply letting the village be destroyed, they probably fall. Engaging in the futile fight in an attempt to save the village probably wouldn't end in falling if they survive.

Is this PFag/Shadposter again?

>wizards are totally okay guise! They can’t fill literally every role in a party better than anyone else with half the effort!
Hot air negates any nonmagical means to cross the lava. And the Terrasque is one of the best monsters in the game and it still needs the roll of 13 to hit a wizard

>Terrasque is one of the best monsters
>one of the best monsters
Not in this edition. the Big T is a fucking chump.

But I don’t want to be a Druid, sir

Yup. I have absolute terrible luck.

11, 8, 4, 9, 3, 7

I've lost count of how many times I've had to remind my players of this one:

>>> When the effect of Charm Person wears off, the target knows that it was magically mind-controlled by you and is probably upset about it.

>Hot air negates any nonmagical means to cross the lava
since when does hot air stop grappling hooks and rope/chains?

Don't take the bait, you idiots.

I'll take what I want!

As a DM, if the paladin does so? The paladin revokes his oath to Bahamut and the power of Bahamut leaves him, stripping him of all Paladin powers that use or imply the use of magic or supernatural ability. The Tiamat cultist scoffs mightily and orders the destruction of the town anyway, ranting about how the power of Evil will always win because Good is dumb.

It is then that Bahamut himself shows up and swats the Tiamat cultist and his army aside with little effort, consigning them to Avernus with the deity they worship so strongly - and he can do this because he made a specific vow and just broke it, so Tiamat cannot intervene. Bahamut in his glory tells the Paladin that he has done good and right in sacrificing himself to stop the slaughter of the village - but at the same time, the oaths that the paladin made are important, and casting them aside is not a light matter. It is the belief the paladin had in those oaths that empowered them, not Bahamut himself, but the paladin by casting them aside in his mind and heart, has still broken them. It is doubtful, though not impossible, that the paladin will be able to reclaim them.

Bahamut can use his power to restore the supernatural powers of the paladin for the duration of the paladin's campaign against Tiamat, as Bahamut's agent (during this time the paladin will not *technically* have any oath, but Bahamut will simulate the powers of the Oath of Devotion paladin). But once whatever threat Tiamat is posing has been defeated, Bahamut must rescind those powers. Most likely, the paladin will have to retire, or train in a different class. And of course the paladin will have to act in accordance to Bahamut's will or else the powers will be rescinded.

>11, 8, 4, 9, 3, 7
Jesus Christ. If your DM makes you play that character, just quit or have them kermit suicide so you can reroll.

Fuck off Mearls. Your Discord Boogeyman isn't the only /5eg/ poster who has a problem with Wizard.

I’ll ask for a reroll or point buy

Thanks

There is a 92.80% chance of you getting a 14 as your highest stat, so you probably had a lower chance of getting this stat spread than of getting at least one 18.

>Let wizards cast any spells with no consequence or complication because you're uncreative and hand out rests like they're candy.
>Hurrr muh wizurd am outsmart meh eben doh I'm duh DM dem wuzurds must be OH PEE

>kermit suicide

>Hot air negates any nonmagical means to cross the lava
You described a ledge
Have it hurt like hell to shimmy across, but survivable.

And if AC is such a concern, cast saving throw spells on them dumbass. Shits not OP if you know how to deal with it.

Also counterspell exists, fucko.

>3
you rolled 4 1's?

Thanks for that

>11, 8, 4, 9, 3, 7

o i am laffin

>Deity shows up on the Prime Material in person without monumental magical hullabaloo or contention from other divinities
Shit DM

Yup.

Four.

Fucking.

Ones.

Listen, just because you never watched Xena or Hercules doesn't mean we all are morons who lack taste.

Ask to reroll or take standard array

If neither option is allowed, throw yourself off a cliff. You either get a new character or you get kicked out, and either way you win because no game > bad game

I’m actually the /co/-Veeky Forums guy that rallied /co/ to come to Veeky Forums‘s aid against the Shadman threads

Play a revised ranger. When you get to level 3, convince your DM to let you play as the awakened animal companion instead. At least Lenny was strong.

>with an intelligence of three and a dexterity of four, my character stumbles over a cliff side

>he tries using his seven strength to pull himself up, but fails and falls

Hopefully my party mates aren’t complete dicks and let me die instead of pulling me up or saving me.

I'm with user here, having a god just come down and solve problems and act all high and mighty is concentrated DM wankery.

It's why settings that have capital G "Gods" as opposed to powerful but mortal beings are shit.

stat him

>Play defensively by using the dodge feature
>DM literally never attacks me when I dodge and dogpiles me when I don't

Why did I even pick drunken master

Our Warlock's probably Chaotic Neutral at best, even though his sheet says Chaotic Good.

I would have the absolute most fun with this character. Just be the most abject fucking burden on anyone and everything if your DM is such a complete asshole to make you play that. It’s That Guy time

Put your 11 into CHA, as well as every ASI you get, and play a Hexblade Warlock. You should reach 20 CHA by the time you hit 20th level, and have 1 ability point left over to take you up to 10 CON.

Seriously, though, you are fucked and should suicide quick so you can re-roll.

>DM literally never attacks me when I dodge
Sounds like it's working as intended, then.
Dodge -> don't get hit

I'm ruffling through some NPCs I generated for a game and the hobgoblin is listed as doing 2d6+2 with a Scimitar and 2d6+2 with a bow

Is this a bug or is there some reason for him doing 2d6 instead of 1d6? All the other pirates of different races do 1d6.

RPGTinker Hobgoblin Pirate 4HD

Reeeeeeepost from last thread: would you allow someone to play a zeal cleric in their games? I want to play a warlike cleric of Pelor (I like the light domain flavor and some spells), and the abilities it has pretty much perfectly match that.

I quit because the DM's story was boring me to tears and the last session ended with PvP because the DM gave us a super powerful sentient weapon that made the user become addicted to the power high and not want to let go.

Drunken Master's level 6 feature is all about getting attacked but not getting hit.

If he never even attempts to attack me when I tried to utilize it, why do I even have it?

>the DM's story was boring me to tears
what was the story?

How would you homebrew switch/trick weapons like in Bloodborne or Monster Hunter?

>okay, user, make a Persuasion roll
>I can't
>I know you only have 4 CHA, but you could at least try
>No, I really can't
>Sure you can, it's not a difficult check...
>No, I mean I can't speak. I have 3 INT

>What's the best subclass to play a scotsman?

Actual Scotsman here, If you mean a Highlander then probably just be a barbarian. If you mean someone from Edinbvrgh then cleric, wizard, from Glasgow a rouge or fighter. Ayr is bard, Inverness would be druid, Stirling a fighter. Dundee would be rogue/warlock/pervert

>what was the story?
mostly about making holes.

Something about a magic plague created by a cult holed up in a valley and we had to go stop the source of the plague, but first we have to talk to this NPC, then another, then another...

What's its hit die? For monsters, hit die is tied to size and damage dice for weapon attacks. If its hit die is d10 then it's large and it'll deal 2d6 with weapons that normally deal 1d6.

If I run White Plume mountain for 4 8th level players consisting of a wizard, druid, bard and paladin, will they likely die?
If they don't die, will the legendary weapons in the dungeon make them overpowered for future adventures? None of them would be able to use Whelm, but they would likely be able to wield both Wave and Blackrazor.