MTG Modern Magic General

Previously on Modern General: "Midweek Madness" Edition

Dominaria release notes: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/dominaria-leak-2018-03-08

>Playing
>Hating
>Brewing

>Thread question
How was your last event? Win big? Lose bad? Packing any spicy tech? Share with your fellow players your experiences.

RESOURCES:
>metagame
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>Search Engines
scryfall.com/
magiccards.info/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
>Budget Decks
pastebin.com/Q9D59Wry

Attached: soi-233-tireless-tracker.jpg (672x936, 234K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/established-modern/aggro-tempo/767834-collected-company-elves
reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/847fdi/ugh2_boxes_of_masters_25_opened_almost_identical/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Playing
BGw Collected Company Elves
>Hating
Any variant of green-based Tron. U-Tron is fine and cool imo
>Brewing
RW Norin with D&T shell

No major events right now where I live. Elves is still a strong archetype that's proven its worth but still under the radar which in my opinion is what makes it so strong. Also with the return of BGx decks, I believe the Shaman of the Pack variant of Elves will be in a much better position than the Devoted Vizier variant because mainboarding Lead the Stampede over Chord of Calling is a much better call in a field of 1-for-1 card attrition.

>Playing
5c Humans

>Hating
All Tron Variants

>Brewing
Something with Amber Mox. Legends and Taxes maybe.

>Last event

Went 4-1 at my store’s Modern league. Only loss was to Eldrazi Tron. No real spicy techs, but Auri Champion out of the board clowned my burn opponent.

Would like thoughts about sideboard for my deck. Basic idea is to mill out my own library then pop zombie apocalypse to flood the board. Have some Call to Mind to retrieve my Zombic Apoc if I accidentally mill them all.

Zombie Apocalypse x 4 (pops all graveyard zombies)
Forsaken Drifters x 4 (adds to graveyard)
Armored Skaab x 4 (adds to graveyard)
Crow of Dark Tidings x 4 (adds to graveyard)
Laboratory Brute x 4 (adds to graveyard)
Wailing Ghoul x 4 (adds to graveyard)
Screeching Skaab x 2 (adds to graveyard)
Necromancer's Assistant x 2 (adds to graveyard)
Risen Executioner x 4 (Other Zombies get +1/+1)
Submerged Boneyard x 4 (black/blue mana)
Call to Mind x 4 (return sorcery to hand from graveyard)
Swamp x 10 (land)
Island x 10 (land)

card total: 60 (8 sorcery, 28 creature, 24 land)

A buddy of mine plays jund elves with company and BBE. No chords no lead the stampedes. He does well at FNM. I really didn't believe what I was watching at first. Then again we have 8whack in our top tables for months now.

Interesting, what other red spells does he have with BBE? Abzan has always been a combo deck at heart, with good flexible SB cards due to the white splash. The biggest pull of black is Shaman of the Pack because sometimes you just win when you get 2, and I can definitely see BBE into Shaman as the main reason why its so good.

What would Norin even add? He has some utility in Sisters but that's about it.

The RW Norin package allows you to abuse the etb triggers of Purphoros, Thalia's Liuetenant and Champion of the Parish. The deck is leaning more to humans than D&T as the only D&T pieces here are Thalia, Blade Splicer and Leonin Arbiter.

The results aren't really that good desu and I might just turn this to RW D&T as its the spicy new build for D&T now

Why not just go full Boros Humans at that point for consistency? It sounds like you're trying to play two decks at the same time.

I like a lot of interactions between cards in my deck. Just straight up Boros aggro feels boring. Norin Sisters is straight up fun due to all the triggers happening at the same time but it isnt really a good deck. D&T is a alright but also meta dependent

Trying to slowly invest in format staples. Which card do I pick up first Snapcaster Mage or Aether Vial? The Snapcaster price right now is absurd so Im kinda shying away, but still willing to sink

Absolutely do NOT buy into staples right now, the market is at the height of a boom and the market correction will be coming soon enough, wait at least a few months.

Listen to the other user, wait a couple months
But fetches and shocks are always needed.

>burn
>tron
>some shitty land destruction deck with bbe and no blood moon
Will post list if anyone wants
>Thread Q
Does a fnm count?
Came in 3rd place, beating gds
5c humans came in first, don't remember 2nd
I main 1 deflecting palm and have 2 reality hemorrhage since there's a good amount of burn in my meta and it deals with opposing firewalkers

I got all shocks and onslaught fetches. The zen fetches can eat a dick though, you guys are right, I probably wont buy into those cards just yet.

wait is gonna make it better in a couple of months? except for m25 cards?

*what

How many basics should you typically play?

When people get sick of it and nobody buys cards. Then sellers start dropping prices to get their products out of their hands

Depends on how many colors and whag costs. If you wanna be casting Whir for Invention on curve you need more blue sources than for serum visions.

depends on the deck.
for fair decks, as a rule of thumb, you play the least minimum to play all your spells. for jund, for example, that would be 1 forest, 2 swamps, 1 mountain. historically, the biggest lands problem was blood moon, so they would skip mountain. nowadays with field of ruin and burn, a basic mountain is needed actually.
but jund is a bit greedy with mana base, with manlands and such. dual colored decks can play more basics. there's some math depending how many WW or 1WW or WWW cards you have in the deck and if you want to consistently cast them on turn 2 or 3. there's a channelfireball (i think) article with all the math etc.

some unfair decks cant afford basics without decreasing their consistency, like infect cant play islands and affinity plays typically only one basic to no get strip mined against ghost quarter.

tfw your acute level of retardedness contributed to the OP having a list of budget decks

Attached: UmaThurman.jpg (618x412, 26K)

Actually the spicy build of taxes is aggro taxes.

>How was your last event? Win big?
Went first with my Burn Deck and got 30$ store credit. We were only seven.

Packing any spicy tech?
Pic related in my burn, and it actually won me games last time because I managed to lock two of my opponents out of a color. Lots of people told me it was nice landhate tech AT BEST in burn, but it's been performing form okayish to great since I startind running it. I like the card more and more.

Attached: Image.jpg (223x310, 31K)

>U-Tron is fine and cool imo
It's all fun and games until this asshole shows up with his pal Academy ruins

Attached: Image (1).jpg (223x310, 34K)

I Play golgari elf and I've searched very long for another worthwhile black card.

I've had fun with pic related. Doesn't exactly protect from sweepers, but still keep the elf count hight for Shaman. Pretty crazy in multiples though, but worthless agains anger of the gods since it exiles.

It also count as an elf for the effect of Archdruid, heritage druid and Shaman

Attached: Image.jpg (223x310, 32K)

Now that it's there, i really wonder why it took so long.

Must be good against tron

Still, UTron doesnt automatically assemble all pieces on turn 3-4 consistently, and most of the time have to play a very grindy interactive game of trying to get colored mana with Solemn Simulacrum, trying to condescend or remand something for digging or just plain durdling until it can safely reach 10 12 mana + Academy ruins to set up the lock.

The reason I play the white splash is for selfless spirit and burrenton forge tender. My chords come from the SB while I main Lead the stampede instead.

I actually have a fun story, from a Rakdos burn to a Boros/naya burn player

>Game 2, won last game so I'm on the draw
>Guy drops Firewalker turn 2 with a smug face
>I try to bait him to block my swiftspear while I have skullcrack in my hand
>It fucking works
>He drops another Firewalker next turn
>Wellfuckmylife.gif
>Topdeck Tainted remedy
>Cast it
>Can't do nothing else because 3 lands
>Smug face still there
>He doesn't know
>pass turn
>passes back to me, he's stuck to 2 lands
>I cast bolt
>"I gain 1 life"
>"No, you lose 1 actually"
>"Why?!"
>Point to my Tainted remedy
>He Grabs the card, Reads it
>Smug face dissapear
>He doesn't read that Kor firewalker is a "You may gain 1 life" ability and is not mandatory
>Proceeds to lose 1 more life for each spell I cast
>Would have been one spell short of winning if he didn't do that
>MFW

Attached: 1404561819434.jpg (511x512, 46K)

Self mill needs lab maniac

Because some people here want the thread to be only about competitive decks and most budget decks are a minor step up from kitchen table Magic.
I don't care either way, I play my big boy decks and have 30 dollar Kiln Fiend meme shit and I like playing with either.

Burn already has a pretty good match-up against tron, has turn 4 you're either dead or one spell away from death so they're on the pressure of having to assemble the urza land on turn 3.

Only thing that can save them is if they drop either Wurmcoil or Batterskull, but they can't even do that on the play with this card. And sometime Even doing that kills them because Bolt to the face

Eidolon and searing blaze is pretty worthless against them though.

Attached: V3LbN1Q.jpg (480x680, 107K)

I also prefer Lead the stampede, but in a list with white I'd run Chord just for searching the silver bullets in a pinch.

We went into a low period and out the other end. We've needed a new OP ever since we ditched the shitposting-city that was "$$$$COMPETITIVE MODERN$$$$", and I thought that making our own links like many other threads would jumpstart the process. It seems to have worked, and I hope that others can join me in bettering /modern/, and maybe even the mtg community as a whole, going forward.

>I hope that others can join me in bettering /modern/, and maybe even the mtg community as a whole, going forward.
Big words my man. But I agree with the sentiment.
Making an effort to be a little more inclusive goes a long way

inb4 this is Veeky Forums fuck being inclusive

My autism got the better of me and I was tired of all the shitty low-effort OP's people were making so I put together the current one. I hope you are all happy.

To be fair 8whack, stompy are solid decks on their own; the latter especially because you dont necesarily follow strict constraints like what 8whack does.

In a field of unfair combo decks like ad nauseam, dredge or storm, MD Chord is better because youre playing for speed and outcombo them earlier. In a field of fair grindy decks like Grixis Death's Shadow, Traverse, BGx or the UWx control variants, Lead MD is better because you need to win with attrition until you can slowly shave off their life with Shaman of the Pack ETB triggers

>tfw I literally invented the Mardu Reveler list, and everyone said it was shit, and faithless looting is garbage in anything but Dredge, and Bedlam Reveler is a meme, and I’m a retard.
This legitimately happened on every single website, Reddit, MTG Salvation, and of course here. Literally everyone said it was bad. But now it’s a real deck. Seriously don’t let any faggot on the internet tell you your deck is shit, they don’t know any better than you. Just keep playtesting it, and building it and trying new things. So many people think just because none of the pros are doing it itcant possibly be good, but that’s not the case.

Prices spiked for everything not reprinted in A25 but they'll relax in a couple months.

>tfw I told everyone prized amalgam will break modern because it synergizes with bloodghast, dredge engine and life from the loam along with conflagrate from Raphael Levy's loam pox.
>they didnt believe me

But it wasn’t Amalgam it was grave troll. Amalgam is good but troll allowed dredge to be tier 1

I actually have a RW Pyromancer deck that's pretty close to what the Mardu version would look like if it didn't run black. I've had that deck for over two years but I never was able to really perform with it because removal is way too prevalent in my local meta so I felt like it was bad.

Attached: Dark tutor.jpg (640x480, 52K)

There’s literally no reason not to run black, it’s the best color in the deck, suck a fat cock and kill yourself also I’ve been playing it since Reveler was printed you cuck.

what do you do with all your bulk?
oh and fuck tokens, I have a whole clear case full of them

Attached: bulkcardz.png (726x1658, 161K)

Now this big boy is back to play.

what kind of decks can we brew with this motherfucker ?

modern ideas ?

Attached: Goblin_Warchief.jpg (500x500, 58K)

Amalgam still made the archetype work as the dredge we know now. Prior to Amalgam, Dredge was this grindy attrition based GY deck that relied on Zombie Infestation, Conflagrate, Life from the loam and the discard fodder recycling of Squee goblin nabob and the dredge package; sometimes with small pox. Amalgam completely changed all that

>what kind of decks
goblin decks. Not much else really.

Goblins will never be a thing in Modern outside of the hyper aggro variant that is 8whack, and that's considered a meme deck by most people. What made Legacy goblin work was the mana denial of Rishadan Port +Wasteland, the cheat that is Goblin Lackey and the card advantage granted by Ringleader, with added consistency due to Matron. Unless we get some value oriented Goblins, normal tribal gobs dont really have a chance. Now to be fair, I do think if Sharpshooter came back we might have something.

Now we just need port and wasteland

Your closest bet is R/B Goblins; but the problem is why go R/B when you can go RG with Collected Company? And even then why not just play Elves? I may be looking at it from the wrong perspective though, but unless a tribal deck can somehow cheat mana costs like how Elves and Merfolks via vial do it, or have the flexibility of having 5 colors like Humans do, then the tribe probably isnt cut out.

It sits in a box I originally received a piece of furniture in.

goblin warchief is too slow for modern.

>There’s literally no reason not to run black
>Only black card ran are blackgoodstuff.jpeg
>It can easily be replaced with Whitegoodstuff.jpeg

I'm still gonna post my decklist so that you can judge it for yourself in an hope for a non-shitfliging discussion and for you to see if I'm a cocksucker that should kill itself or not.

Also, not saying Mardu pyromancer is shit, just saying that the similar build I ran before it was thing sucked in my meta.

Attached: Boros Pyromancer.png (957x528, 266K)

Black Goodstuff>Green Goodstuff>>>Red Goodstuff>>>>>>White Goodstuff>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Blue goodstuff

>Green goodstuff
Aside form Acient stirring, what's good in green? Legit question

Also, white goodstuff is in the sideboard.

Green has good Mana Dorks/Ramp in the form of Noble hierarch, Birds of paradise and Utopia sprawl
There's also Goyf
Collected company made a lot of decks a thing
Scavenging ooze has been a sideboard staple for lots of green decks.
If we include multicolor, Abrupt decay and maelstrom pulse are probably the best removal options you can ask for

New to modern. My friend is quitting mtg and is bequeathing me with his 8 Whack deck. Anything I should know about the meta before I take this bad boy to my LGS?

The deck's main weakness is itself. Most of the time you wont really care what your opponent is, as much as you need to know what to keep and how RNG can fuck you over with your opening hand. Your mulligan threshold is 6 on the play and 5 on the keep so you better pray for a good hand. What's the decklist anyway

>on the keep
On the draw I mean

I don't know the decklist yet but it mostly depends on Legion Loyalist, Goblin Guide, Mogg Fanatic, combined with Goblin Grenade and Lightning Bolt. So pretty much the archetype as is

My local meta got insanely fast with the unbans. Suddendly everyone is playing burn, br hollow one, bogles and storm.
Is there a good deck to punish those fast threats.
I own merfolk and bw eldrazi (will be upgraded to eldrazi n taxes) and i'm thinking about building eldrazi tron.
I'm not sure about that anymore because if the fast meta. I think etron will get overrun.
Whats my best choice wich such fast decks? (Maybe sideboard spice?)
I'm thinking about bringing merfolk and mainboarding dismembers again instead of spellpierce and pack some gutshots in the side.

I thought it was one of the super meme versions with haze of rage. A standard 8 whack build is alright but again, the real enemy is RNG

Play a slow grindy deck like GDS or BGx. If its too expensive for you, something like a variant of DnT will suffice especially if there are more decks like Storm and Dredge which are easier to hate than something like Burn, which is so linear and a general strategy that's hard to counter outside of something clunky like Soul Sisters or BW Tokens. Mardu Pyromancer is honestly another good choice

>Playing
8whack, bant spirits, affinity. When aether revolt rotates I'll probably go back to eldrazi tron, since I'm using the ballistas for standard

>Hating
Lantern, as always

>Brewing
Monoblack. I'll probably just get the staples (lilis, thoughtseizes, inquisitions, bitterblossom) and switch around whatever I want

Merfolks sucks fat cock.
Play something like Jund.

ETron is a good bet

just slam those ballistas

Is blue steel still decent? Or has it lost its novelty

actually it's wheeled back to gw hatebear with maindeck gaddock teeg

swap master of etherium for superion myr and you should be fine

it's still fun and a couple lodestone golems can easily fuck a lot of decks

Real constructive post here user. I'm sure he's gonna realize ON THE SPOT that you're 1000% right with that Omega/Alpha comment.

BW eldrazi taxes is a pretty good deck, I can recommend it as it wrecks my shit more often than I care to admit.

In faster, creature based meta, I tend to go for floodgate type cards like Ghostly prison, Worship and Ensnaring bridge. Or go for smaller sweepers like Pyroclasm, Anger of the gods or Flaying tendrils. Usually works.

Play tezzerator and main board 4 chalices, then tune it to the meta, I’m dealing with the same thing and 4-0 regularly

In my experience humans has decent matchups across the board with a versatile sideboard (I’m not playing 5c in mainboard mostly because I don’t have vials, my version is closer to being bant coco based)
Boggles Im not exactly sure how to handle b/c only one person Around here plays it and I love only played vs it once. But b/w sin collector, kitesail freebooter, reflector Mage, meddling Mage and Thalia i imagine you have different ability to hurt their game.
Havnt seen the hollow one deck in the wild yet, my buddy wants to build it but doesn’t want to buy the goblin lore/burning inquiry
Burn might be the matchup I hate playing against the most but I’d say Its actuall okay. Board in kambals and canthidd necromancers. Thalia hits both versions pretty good, big Thalia is good against creature heavy versions.
Thalia hurts storm really bad and if you want extra hate, sideboard an eathersworn cannonist.

TLDR humans is pretty verisitle for a lot of metas

Currently scraping together UW Spirits with Tallowisp, because the deck looks like exactly my type of fun. Anyone else have any experience running the deck, maybe suggestions for what inclusions seemed good but weren't?

Im running the regular tempo version

4x Mausoleum Wanderer
4x Rattlechains
4x Spellqueller
4x Drogskol Captain
3x Selfless Spirit
2x Phantasmal Image

4x Serum Visions
4x Path to Exile
4x Remand
4x Curious Obsession
2x Ojutai's Command

4x Glacial Fortress
4x Hallowed Fountain
4x Flooded Strand
2x Moorland Haunt
5x Island
2x Plains

SB
2x Disenchant
2x Rest in Peace
4x Spreading Seas
2x Kataki, War's Wage
2x Blessed Alliance
1x Eidolon of Rhetoric
2x Dispel

I havent tried the tallowisp variant but it does sound enticing. It runs Geist, 1x Steel of the Godhead and 1x Temporal solation Isolation for its toolbox auras.

You have a deck list? A buddy of mine is playing coco elves and wants to make some improvements

Most of the 'primers' I've seen suggest running Reach Through Mists over Serum Visions and many seem to want to make allowances for Disrupting Shoal as well for similar reasons.

This link may prove useful, it's a primer describing what each version of elf want to run. Monogreen, abzan, golgari, selesnya, it's all there.
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/established-modern/aggro-tempo/767834-collected-company-elves

Attached: 014.png (675x1200, 1.22M)

>affinity plays typically only one basic
3 Blinkmoth 2 basics masterrace
white decks hate him!

4x Llanowar Elves
4x Elvish Mystic
4x Heritage Druid
4x Nettle Sentinel
4x Dwynen's Elite
3x Elvish Visionary
4x Elvish Archdruid
4x Shaman of the Pack
2x Ezuri, Renegade Leader
1x Reclamation Sage

4x Collected Company
3x Lead the Stampede

4x Verdant Catacomb (the GW fetch is fine)
2x Overgrown Tomb
1x Temple Garden
1x Pendellhaven
1x Westvale Abbey
1x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
8x Forest

SB
1x Selfless Spirit
1x Burrenton Forge-Tender
1x Chameleon Colossus
1x Reclamation Sage
1x Phyrexian Revoker
2x Kitchen Finks
3x Beast Within
1x Fracturing Gust
4x Chord of Calling

Sorry I meant 3 Ezuris

No it was cathartic reunion that broke dredge

Yeah, you convinced me to bring b/w eldrazi. Packed with removal and powerful white SB cards.
Maybe i can jam some fish when the fast decks have died down.
Also i love the mainboard relics, so many decks rely on their graveyard.

Gotta get those chalices when they get reprinted, i just hope that dampening sphere card from dominaria doesn't do too much damage to the deck.

Van reunion and dredge is still better than without troll faggot, there’s a reason it’s not played in legacy

Nice user
WouldPlayWith/10

It's not played in legacy because legacy has ways to abuse bridge

Mainboard relic is best cantrip.

Only ones disagreeing are Dredge, Living end, Goyf and Snap players.

Attached: Inkling smile.jpg (225x225, 9K)

so... Wizards is now shipping identical boxes?

>affinity
>unfair

Mox Opal is fair.

Of course they are. Just when you thought they couldn't fuck up any worse, they found a way to make this set even worse.

>Mox Opal is fair.
Name one (1) fair deck that wants to run Mox opal

this is too much I'm now forced to think they have inside agents on the board deliberately trying to run the company into the ground. Probably someone who wants to buy WOTC on the cheap

Other than the two MM25 boxes opened by Rudy, did it happen to anyone else? As much as I'd like to put a tinfoil hat and keep on shitting on WotC, it may just have been an insanely big conincidence.

people on leddit are saying it's happening to them too but apparently a lot of the posts are getting deleted by butthurt mods

reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/847fdi/ugh2_boxes_of_masters_25_opened_almost_identical/

Anyone know a place to compare collection to decks? Don't want to pay for premium mtggoldfish if there are alternatives.

I haven't played for a while,but judging from goldfish meta the doomsayers were wrong as usual and jace didn't break shit right?

Pretty much, yea. Format is already fast af, jace couldn't keep up. BBE is cool tho