Anons, I'm building a world for my own gaming enjoyment. Can I get some feedback on the races present by continent?

Anons, I'm building a world for my own gaming enjoyment. Can I get some feedback on the races present by continent?

I will explain what each races' deal is if need be, and yes, I know the continent names suck, I really need to come up with better names for them.

*Daggerland (Main Continent)
>Humans
>Minotaurs
>Cogsoul (Competent Tinker) Gnomes
>Mountain Gnomes (Dwarves)
>Forest Gnomes
>Haffuns (Rabbitfolk)

*Hordeland
>Hobgoblins
>Goblins
>Gremlins

*Isle of Catastrophe (Mournland Mad Max Australia)
>Ratfolk
>Junkers (warforged expies)

*Dark Continent (Pulp Africa)
>Hutaakans (Slaaneshi necromancer jackalfolk)
>Gnolls
>Fennekin (fennec-folk)
>Sun Elves
>Gorgons
>Kobolds
>Tondi (orchid mantis thri-kreen)

*Gloomlund (Sylvania expy)
>Dhampirs
>Shadar-kai
>Fetches (half-ghost)
>Ghuls (half-ghoul)
>Mortif

*Ryutochi (China/Japan mash-up)
>"Lungborn" (Dragonborn based on Lung Dragons)
>Kitsunes
>Tanuki
>Oni
>"Nekomusume" (tigerfolk)
>"Grassblades" (militant rabbitfolk)
>Wukong (monkeyfolk)

*The Unexplored North
>Gulons (wolverinefolk)
>Goliaths

*The Moon
>Moon Elves
>Netherborn (warforged expies made from stillborn elves)

*Outsiders
>Half-Hobgoblins
>Half-Gnomes
>Kangaroo Ratfolk

Attached: Dieselpunk Megatropolis.jpg (1430x1430, 620K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sfwa.org/2009/08/fantasy-worldbuilding-questions/
1d4chan.org/wiki/Oriental_Dragon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>half-ghost
???

Long story short, lots of weird necromantic shit happens in the Gloomlund. Women being impregnated by the ghosts of their dead husbands is on the tamer side of things.

So, I admit there's a lot of beastfolk, but...really, what are D&D's options for humanoids that DON'T boil down to "different flavors of elf, dwarf and gnome"?

You got gnomes, elves, goblinoids, dhampirs, shadar-kai, fetches, ghuls, mortif, oni, goliaths and humans - what more do you need?

So, just to explain the elves and gnomes...

Short version is that the Elves came from the Feywild. They conquered a huge empire, but they fought with some other race, not sure which at this point. Their enemies created an artifact that scrambles the connection between planes, which really fucked up the elves and gnomes.

Moon Elves are a lunar colony that never found a cure, which is why they're dying as a race and have turned pretty goth as a result. Wraithguard expies, Slayer expies, all that grimdark stuff.

Sun Elves sought an alchemical cure, which... well, they're not dying, but they've devolved into a race of jungle amazons (in the sense of "they're all female and reproduce by magically inducing pregnancy") and become neo-Bronze Age barbarians, so I don't know if it worked or not.

Gorgons used to be elves, but they tried to cure the hole in their soul by tapping into magic left behind by the even more ancient dragon empire. It... technically worked, but it drove them insane by overwhelming them with draconic memories and turned them into a race of snakey-people, so I guess that's another own goal?

The gnomes, in comparison, found cures by forming new spiritual links. One breed bonds with nature, leading to different environmental subbreeds (forest, mountain, swamp, etc). The other bonded itself to "mechanomancy", the magic style of artificers, so they became competent tinkers.

Just going to leave a bump here; probably won't get any hits, but wanted to know I am interested in talking about this stuff, because it always intrigues me when Veeky Forums shows off its helpful side.

I dont have much advice to provide but i just want to let you know most of these sound interesting and ill probably be stealing some of these for my game

Hope your campaign goes well friend

>a world for my own gaming enjoyment
As much fun as world building is in its own right, it is generally helpful to keep your ultimate goal in mind. Do you have a group you want to introduce this world to already or are you making the world first before looking for a group? If this is ultimately for gaming, what system are you intending to use? Looks like D&D obviously but what edition?

Thank youi for the well-wishes and for thinking these sound interesting.

World first, group second. Where I live, it is not easy to find any sort of gaming group, so I was planning to go "full world" first (you know, make up a world in the same way that Eberron, Faerun, Mystara, etc is a world), then worry about finding gamers.

As for the system? D&D 5e with homebrew is the plan.

By continent
>Daggerland
Sounds knife. Be careful of too much advance. I like the gnomes being the subrace race.
>Hordeland
Boring, not because of the races but because it's gonna end up very samey, even if you spend years figuring out craploads of political factions. Do you have a map for all this shenanigan?
>Catastrophe Island
I love you. Whose wreckage is this? Go full mournland and have several different magitechnological 'styles'.
>Dark Continent
Uneasy at the Hutaakan/amazon elf cross. Gorgons don't make it better. Figure out how to present this as something not Monstergirl Island.
>Gloomlund
Workable, I suppose. I'd make it happier than usual- you do you, but I'd mix in a healthy dose of Dia de Muertos
>Ryutochi
Needs some peasants: Kitsune, tanuki, oni, tigers, and monkeys were all menaces to proper society. Unless the entire goddamn place is hidden forest kingdoms (which notafrica is already doing) you've got too many toppings on not enough pizza. Also might want to figure animism shenanigans for it.
>The North
Not much to say here, except I want to play Iorek Byrnson except four feet tall and salty about it.
>The Moon
I love it already. Are we talking creepy pseudophyrexian cyborgs, or baby souls in ipod robots?
>Outsiders
For a second I thought you meant like, the summonable and bindable kind and got hella excited. Resounding meh.

Well, since you are World building first, I highly recommend you take a look at the following questions and try to come up with answers to as many as you can.
sfwa.org/2009/08/fantasy-worldbuilding-questions/
Post them here if you want input.

Sorry to just post a link to a huge but it's the most comprehensive help I can provide.

No, I have no ability to draw a map. Things are very up in the air at the moment.

Catastrophe Island is covered in wreckage from hobgoblin invasion fleets, human armadas, gnome exploration vessels, and older wreckage from races nobody remembers the existence of any more.

The Sun Elves and Tondi are actually on their own seperate, neighboring island, whilst the other races are on the "true" dark continent, if that helps.

Hmm... each race on Ryutochi is technically its own faction, but a general "field-tiller" for the lungborn does make sense. I think? I don't know, the Earth Dragonborn kind of seem a natural fit for the role of working the land.

You know what wraithguard are? Imagine one being used as a memorial for stillborn babies, and when 108 of them are entombed within, it comes to spontaneous life. That's a Netherborn.

Hm. Lot of stuff asked here, but let's start with the basics...

>Laws of Nature & Physics
Mostly Earth-like, but with key differences. This universe derives from the power of elemental forces, its foundation lies in the interplay of Earth, Air, Water, Fire and more, not in the byzantine mundanities of chemistry, atomic principle, gravity, and magnetism.

Magic is part of reality, the cosmic thread that holds everything together. It is the energy generated by the interplay of what makes up reality, and at the same time defines the interplay of reality. A magic user is drawing upon the lifeblood of creation itself, bending what is to their own will.

Magical beasts are just nature taken to its natural conclusion, for magic IS nature. Often, magic beasts emerge from places where the boundaries between the mortal universe and the planes beyond grew thin, exposing them to environmental stimulation and mutagens not normally present.

(Cosmology: World Axis, incidentally)

This world is not earth at all, but something... different. Shaped by both natural magical flux and by deliberate meddling over the eons. I actually need to try and figure out the "geography" of the world as a whole.

Yes, there are different races on this world. Cultural diversity? Well, there are very distinct cultures, but culture and species tend to be more intimately intertwined than our world.

People have inhabited this world from the beginning, and the origins of life are lost. Many races believe they were created by gods, and for some that may well be the case, but others come from other places.

Hmm... I don't know if this is helping or not? Maybe I'm even losing the point? Perhaps it'd be more thread-relevant to layout my ideas/plans on who each race is and what it does and what it presents for both NPCs and PCs?

>Dark Continent
I'm just noting that the options are "Strong Elf Women", "Snakegirls", "Some Bugs I Guess", "Reasonable Furries", and "Turbofag Furries".
>Peasants
I mean I'm having a hard time picturing kitsune farmers. There's only so many raiders/thieves/deceptive infiltrators you can have feeding off an agricultural setup before the whole thing implodes. Unless there's a lot heavier magic shenanigans (I remember quite a few stories about oni having magical rice multipliers), there's too many on top and not enough on the bottom.
>Netherborn
Lots of dead elves there. Still 30 ft tallish?

The gorgons are actually a species of males and females, but point taken.

Well, kitsune as a PC race do not have to be a monolithic culture of thieves. Plus, they are associated with Inari, the God of Rice and thus the god of farmers, in real world mythology, so kitsune farmers? Actually not that strange. It's like how elves in D&D have jobs and don't just wish things into existence.

Put it like this; Moon Elves can live for about 1100 years on average, they procreate at the same rate humans do (ovulate 1/month, 9 months gestation), and an average of 1 in 100 (if that) moon elf babies are born alive. So, what do you think?

I thought Wraithguard were Eldar sized and it's the Wraithlords who're the giant mecha? Bt no, the Netherborn are more human sized, which is why they're PC viable and the actual Wraithguard expies (dead elves possessing golem bodies) are not.

>DC
I'm not saying take the turbofags out, just focus on like, "Everyone, even the insane dragonelf mutants, is scared as fuck of the megafauna" or "The four main parts of this continent are Shitty Desert with Reaver-esque jackal raiders, Shitty Jungle with Insane Cultist Snakelves, Actually Pretty Decent Veldt With Actual Cities, and This Island Over Here" or the like.

>Kitsune
They're associated by being his messengers, not necessarily by farming, and that's only some of them. Given high enough magic shenanigans, elf cities wishing things into existence is perfectly workable. Establish a baseline of how fantastical, because the inspirations are pretty fantastical; Elves went from being hyperpowerful old gods nobility expies to 'just' tolkien to average dnd elves, after all.

>Wraiththingies
Probably, my bad. Still seems like a lot of work to get a golem. If the Sun elves have a similar (possible) birthrate, then is a lack of magical reagents the only thing keeping them from overrunning the setting in a bronze tide?

Oh, no offense taken, the plan was to focus on the stuff the continent has to offer for players as either natives or visitors, like tomb raiding, diplomacy, black marketeering, revolutions, politics, and so forth, not magical realmism.

Right. I'll need to spend a bit of time thinking over Ryutochi and how it works in greater detail, then get back to you with the draft. This is a high fantasy setting, but you're right, that's not an answer in and of itself.

They didn't set out to make the Netherborn in the first place, they just sort of... happened. Some grieving parents decided to use a Wraithguard-style construct for their dead babies, and then one year it started talking to them.

It's one part the difficulty in cultivating the birthing elixir, and one part cultural attitudes, that keep the Sun Elf population in check. Long story short, a Sun Elf has to do something worthy before she's allowed to drink the breeding brew, and most only ever have one or two pregnancies in their life. It's actually the few who prove worthy of the tribe's elite who tend to have freer access to the elixir. Also, sun elves live barely half as long as their moon elf kindred.

Figured I should try and expand upon some of these. For starters, the Dark Continent:

>Hutaakans
Jackalfolk warlock-priests. Essentially an expy of Conan's Stygia; amoral, hedonistic, and shamelessly embrace the Black Arts. Fleshcrafting, necromancy, diabolism, nobody matches their expertise here. Old, corrupt empire starting to succumb to its own decadence.

>Gnolls
Warrior-slaves created to serve the hutaakans, a role they're not entirely happy about. In fact, there's a growing rebellion amongst their ranks, which the players are, of course, free to get involved in.

>Fennekin
Savannah-wandering fire-wielding moon-worshipping mystics. Really don't like either the hutaakans or the gnolls, but their belief in freedom means they are willing to work with gnoll rebels.

>Sun Elves
Elves by way of Warhammer Amazons. Sun-worshipping neo-Bronze Age fallen race who've lost their former advanced magical technology, and now preserve it as ancient treasures. Proud Warrior Race Girls who reside in Not Lustria, and believe the pursuit of glory is a holy demand.

>Gorgons
Elves who tried to awaken ancient relics from the lost dragon empire, which... didn't work out so well. Now believe they are the heirs to dragondom, warring with the hutaakans for control over the Dark Continent. Extremely mutable in appearance; more draconic you look, the more important you are. There are equal numbers males and females, but males look enough like the females to confuse the unfamiliar with a quick glance.

>Kobolds
Servitor race created by the dragons and inhabiting their ruins. Woken up by the gorgons and serve them, privately much amused by their delusions. Work hard, play hard ethic with a mischievous streak, but very loyal. Kind of look like a mix of gnome, lizard and rabbit.

>Tondi
Thri-kreen based on orchid mantises, an actual species from Dark Sun no less. Stone Age tribals who inhabit Not Lustria alongside the Sun Elves.

>Hutaakans
What entities are they tapping, or what are they tapping into with the dark arts that's letting the empire collapse? I mean, you'd figure eldritch entities and demons would want effective servants.

>Extremely mutable in appearance; more draconic you look, the more important you are.
Sounds very Yuan-ti-ish. Suggesting you steal the Abominations and etc.- the highest end priests are random dragonbits fleshcrafted together with like, 1% elf holding the whole mess together.

>Michael Fennekin
I like it.

>Tondi
Eh... no cross-cultural contamination? Unless they're deliberately stagnant they should be figuring SOME shenanigans out on their own.

Well, there's a plethora of answers, but one of the big issues is that this world is actually "blockaded" from planar contact; it isn't easy for extraplanar beings to reach this world. This gives the hutaakans a lot more freedom than they might normally, but also means they can screw things up for themselves.

As for what they're tapping... well, I want them to be more Amoral than outright Evil. Chaotic Neutral versions of Slaanesh, Lamashtu, Mordiggian and Keptolo are big in their "pantheon". I have actually been wanting to expand upon their fiend-worshipping ways, so would that be a good post to make?

Yeah, I was partly inspired by the yuan-ti, and partly by the MtG gorgons after Vraska became so integral to the Ixalan storyline. Your basic gorgon looks like a scaly elf with snake fangs, snake eyes, and prehensile snake tails in lieu of hair. Other common mutations include oversized, clawed hands, extra arms, wings, a tail instead of legs, a biting snake that sprouts from the lower spine like a tail, a wyvern's "snakey scorpion" stinger tail, and the classic mane of snake heads & bodies in lieu of hair. A gorgon can mix and match these, so a gorgon who slithers around on a giant snake that ends in a mouth she can eat you with? Isn't unheard of.

I don't know what you mean by "Michael Fennekin", but I'm glad you like them.

Oh, there's cross-cultural contamination between the two. I just ran out of space to detail it. The tondi used to not even have a society; each reproduces asexually and they're born instinctively knowing how to look after themselves (which is actually their old fluff from Thri-kreen of Athas). Seeing the Sun Elves has made them figure out that it's better to work together than just be lone individuals, but it's still a rocky process, and they're not entirely at peace with their neighbors.

Ran out of space, had to add this seperate.

Also, I didn't have the space to mention it, but tondi are THE psionicists of the world at this present point.

Thinking of blending in their original fluff of being druids with their association with psionics, so they're mostly Wu Jen variants who can take Druid spells instead of Wizard spells and favoring the Masteries of Water, Weather, and Wood.

Honestly, I think more settings could benefit from Dia de Muertos-style stuff.

Let's try expanding again, this time with our "Iconic Region", the Daggerland.

>Humans
The Diplomatic Race, the Jacks of All Trades. Other races may be better in individual fields, but humanity has a knack for greasing the wheels. Cogsoul Gnomes made "diesel" engines, humanity figured out how to mass produce them. Of course, human cities aren't always the most stable of places - picture a lovechild between Sharn and an Imperial Hive.

>Minotaurs
Warrior-mystics, big believers in philosophy and spirituality as well as strength. Basically stealing their Nentir Vale fluff for them, which maybe should be expanded upon here?

>Cogsoul (Competent Tinker) Gnomes
Gnomes used to serve as Artificers (the PC class) for the Ur-Elven Empire (dumb name, I know). The ones who found new purpose by focusing on their studies became cogsouls. Brilliant minds, highly inventive, rather socially blunt. Not bunglers, but can be cheerfully vicious in their enthusiasm to build mind-control rays, zombie animation engines, and so forth.

>Mountain Gnomes (Dwarves)
One of the "Wildheart" Gnomes, who healed by bonding with the raw power of nature. These gnomes are tough, hardy, scrappy survivalists who live in the rugged peaks. Closest fit to dwarves in terms of being small, hard-drinking, hard-fighting, hard-playing Axe-wielders. Can climb like the dickens.

>Forest Gnomes
The most common Wildheart gnome breed. There are potentially others, but so far it's just Forest and Mountain. Forest Gnomes are secretive, shy and reclusive, using their mastery of their environment and their innate knack for illusions to guard their territories.

>Haffuns (Rabbitfolk)
Midwest settler-themed rabbitfolk. Matriarchal, led by conclaves of druid-priestesses. Invented guns, and remain the best damn shot around. Archetypes range from wise druidess to stern dead-eye ranger to glory-seeking gunslinger to anarchist sorcerer and huckster-warlock.

And another, to keep this from hopefully dying in the night. This time, Ryutochi.

>"Lungborn" (Dragonborn based on Lung Dragons)
Begin their life as amphibious, kobold-like creatures based on the Yu Lung (Carp Dragon), then randomly mature into one of the seven adult forms. Undecided if this means Clan is based on adult form or if clans house multiple adult forms. Opinions? Basically the "samurai race"; proud, honorable, value war and art equally, but without denigrating those who labor, meaning they can be self-sufficient and not rely on a slave race.

>Kitsunes
Magic-wielding foxfolk nomads, essentially one part classic kitsune, one part gypsy. Make their living through performance, fortune-telling, useful tools, trickery and petty theft.

>Tanuki
Irreverent and primal denizens of the deep forest. Tricksters, hedonists and mystics respected for their magic & brewing skills, but not exactly major players on the imperial stage.

>Oni
Warlike and tribal ogre-kin with a primal connection to magical energies. Residents of the rugged hill-country, they are mostly known as a race of mercenaries, exporting individuals or whole armies in pursuit of battle, fame, loot and liquor.

>"Nekomusume" (tigerfolk)
Tigerfolk warrior-mystics, a rival nation-state that is opposed to the Lung Clans because, y'know, the Dragon/Tiger Rivalry is a thing in Chinese mythology.

>"Grassblades" (militant rabbitfolk)
Descendants of migratory rabbitfolk who crossed over centuries ago and severely lost their way. Ruled by cruel witch-kings who practice diabolism, blood magic and necromancy, they are a warmongering breed driven by the pursuit of conquest and power. Not universally evil, but are generally The Bad Guys.

>Wukong (monkeyfolk)
Mystic monkeyfolk who inhabit a harsh region of mountainous forests and pursue a philosophy of spiritual enlightenment through physical perfection. Basically the Monk race, in contrast to Samurai Dragonborn, Ninja Kitsune, etc.

I forgot to mention this in the OP, but there are half-elves in this setting too. They're mostly associated with the Moon Elves, and highly prized by their elven progenitors as their best chance for the survival of their species.

Don't like doing this, but here's a late-night bump.

>x-folk
>bad guy land
>good guy land
>defining a people by their race rather than culture
>each address gets its own species of elf
Just fucking play vanilla DnD at this point.

Attached: 6F9D153A-927B-46FA-8044-DF88399785FB.jpg (500x500, 92K)

Just in case it's helpful, 1d4chan has an article on all of the Oriental Dragons, which you can find here:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Oriental_Dragon

In the end races are gonna stick with their akins, so it's not that wrong to defining them that way (although you can have the same race settling in different areas)

Why even have humans? The "jack-of-all-trades" race isn't the most original thing.

Personal tastes. Weird as it is, whilst I love having lots of weird races in my settings, I also like to keep humans around. I don't know why.

I'm actually trying to figure out what abilities Oriental Dragonborn might have. Any suggestions?

Let's try Hordeland, although I admit that maybe my time on Veeky Forums is passed now...

>Hobgoblins
Kaiserreich, plain and simple. Prussian conquerers who have utterly dominated their homeland and now want to take over the world. Industrious, driven, warlike, but honorable, disciplined and pragmatic. Magitek style is big on brutalist aesthetics, and essentially borrowed shamelessly from the 2010s Wolfensteins. Thinking of stealing the Mag'har's physique as their basis because, seriously, 5e's look for them is goofy and they always looked like slimmer orcs in D&D anyway.

>Goblins
Oppressed worker caste for the hobgoblins. Sarcastic, bitter, grumpy little greenskins who're smart, but not very strong.

>Gremlins
The hobgoblin's "tech caste", a mutated offshoot of goblin with a knack for the Artificer class. Personality wise, think the Warcraft goblin, but without the greed; for these guys, it's all about making stuff that shreds, tears, shoots and explodes.

Attached: Mag'har Shamaness Aggralan.jpg (800x591, 192K)

I actually don't have anything set for the races from the Unexplored North region yet, so if anons are interested, figuring out their details would be good.

Normal dragonborn just have ability boosts, a breath weapon, and a related form of damage resistance. There's really not a lot to work with.

Yeah, that does make it an issue, considering 5e dragonborn are so... inherently underwhelming. Might have to get a little crazy. Like, say, Earth Lungborn have the Mold Earth cantrip and a burrow speed?

That'd certainly improve on the baseline. Though cantrip-and-movement-speed may not be appropriate for all varieties.

No, it wouldn't... hmm... just glancing at the AD&D statblocks, these re my knee-jerk abilities for the different breeds.

Carp:
* Small sized
* Amphibious
* Swim speed
* Bite attack

Celestial:
* Conical fire breath weapon
* Fire resistance
* Amphibious?

Coiled:
* Constrict ability, as per Plane Shift: Amonkhet Naga

Earth:
* Burrow speed
* Mold Earth cantrip

River:
* Can Create/Destroy Water 1/long rest.
* Amphibious
* Swim speed.

Sea:
* Amphibious
* Swim speed
* Goliath's "reduce damage 1/long rest" ability or half-orc's Relentless Endurance.

Spirit:
* Tail Slap special attack
* Amphibious & Swim speed?

Typhoon:
* Gust cantrip
* Resistance to Lightning & Thunder damage

Maybe the Water Fire ability can be adapted for the Coiled and Spirit Lungborn?

Alternately, steal the life cycle; amphibious to start, forcing them to stay near rivers and make workable viaducts and shenanigans, then grab feats or shenanigans to grab one of the other types (incidentally letting you make them slightly shinier because they cost feats)

I actually was planning on stealing the life cycle in a different way; all Lungborn are born as "Yu Lungborn" (Carp Dragonborn), and then randomly transform into a different member of the 7 "adult" breeds on their 101st birthday, which means Yu Lungborn and the others are treated as seperate races.

But... your idea sounds pretty good. I might just go with that. Making them Small sized might be a little stereotypical, but it sure helps make them look different to normal dragonborn, no?

You could fluff it either way, it's really just a difference of when the transformation happens. I like the "Deep personal realisation, 'adulthood', or arcane happenstance" angle because it's more flexible.
I'd also make the whole lot of them amphibious for ease of shenanigans. Some would be more water dependent, of course.

Alternately, have the dragonborn be more muttish (like regular dragonborn just getting resistance and a breath weapon) and have a set of racial feats to get the cool side powers.

Separately, I'm imagining swarming dozens of little carp dragon dudes working a flooded rice field and it's fucking adorable.

>Hordeland
I picture it looks like Europe if Attila the Hun conquered all of Europe, then all of his shitty successors started an endless civil war, conquering each other over and over again until chaos became the only norm anyone ever knew.

> Hobgoblins
A lot like humans, but naturally cynical and remorseless. Slit eyes, pale white skin, sharp ears, long prehensile tongues, sharp teeth. Usually warriors, or archers. Most begin training in martial arts at an early age.

>Goblins
Shorter, green, and more numerous version of hobgoblin. Natural cavaliers, ride hordes of strange animals into battle. Their speed and numbers make them a constant threat to hobgoblins. Their lack of organization means they are defeated by a competently organized force of Hobgoblins, but their quick reproduction and opportunistic tactics constantly keeps the boarders of this continent shifting.

>Gremlins
Also look like Hobgoblins, but are Small, blue and look like evil children. They can all shape shift into a much larger form that resembles a giant blue, bipedal lizard. 1 out of every 10,000 hobgoblins will give birth to one of these. They are worshiped as gods, and are expected to be the next supreme leader of Hordeland, though there is always 2 or more competing for that title at any given time.

That is one of the reason why I intend to make Yu Lungborn the "base" of the race, yes. It's just a neat little visual.

Interesting ideas, but not what I had planned, which I outlined here

Also gives a good narrative, ala the mythological history of ireland.
The dragons came up from the sea, the oni came down from the mountains, the tigers came out of the forests, and the foxes just decided to fuck everyone's shit up and laugh.
The tigers could probably be a bit more magical, actually, if they're of a 'breed' with the kitsune and tanuki.

Well, the tiger race is the weakest one at this point, so I'd definitely like to upgrade them. They were born out of the dragon vs. tiger symbolism, after all.

Channel in some indian subcontinent bits with a caste system. Also vine bridges and the bigass statues. Contrast them out with the lungs more, like the lungs have a 'service to your direct social superiors' bit as a keystone of civilization, while the tigers think in terms of dominance, the direct social inferiors keeping their superiors on their toes.

Also, weird social order stuff, like not being able to touch the kings and having to break the vessels they eat out of after one use.

Ooh, interesting ideas, yes, that's very helpful. Hmm... maybe work in a reference to the importance of tiger body parts in Chinese traditional medicine, somehow?

Tiger power is in the body and blood. Link it with what the monkeys do, but wilder and more practical than religious. Separately, I'd suggest making them the big guys of the area, to go with the oni. Like, if the grassblades are '3-4ish, the lungs are '6-7ish, they're either on the edge of large size or just over it, so '9-10ish.

Also gonna take the scary jungle apex predator thing and make a trait out of it- Vegetation silently bends out of their way (As well it should, they're KINGS, after all), meaning they're absurdly stealthy in anywhere with heavy undergrowth.

And bam, one of the starting and probably continually going diplomacy problems- The tigers expect you to make some kind of obesiance to the local lord, the lungs culturally can't do that because their superiors deserve all their service. It's mostly a formality, but both sides bring it up to get angry about.

Hmm, very interesting ideas! Thanks a lot.Any other suggestions? Or question, because I should be answering more of those.

Hordelands still seems boring. Periodic overcrowding problems? Refugee factions taking their shenanigans elsewhere? I don't know how to fix it.

>Suggestions
The grassblades like to reanimate fallen foes. Ten foot tigermen make hella excellent zombies, especially when hollowed out, demonically possessed, and with a hemoturge riding inside casting blood hexes through the ribs.

The Hordelands' basic intention is Kaiserreich Mordor. They're THE biggest generally antagonistic faction in the setting. Players going to the Hordelands, unless playing a hobgoblin party, are typically going to revolve around war themes; assassination, espionage, sabotage, and so forth.

Hobgoblin parties, in comparison, are more focused on working through the byzantine and bloody internal workings of the hobgoblin empire in hopes of achieving honor and glory.

Does that help?

So, random question; since the Isle of Catastrophe is basically ratfolk Gorkamorka, how unbelievable is it if they have an (annual? once per decade?) continent-spanning race & no-holds barred vehicular death match called the Redline, where the best drivers and motor-gangers around see to find who's the fastest and the toughest?

Going to bump this, but I don't know what to say now.

Making a bump for the night.

Sheesh, I need to bump this thread a lot.

Seems like a fun event to get inadvertently roped into for plot-related reasons.

Nothing unbelievable about that but what do they get out of it? Does status translate into leadership position within their clans? Do they get access to females, money, scrap materials etc? Do they run the race as individuals or as representatives of a gang?

I hope so. I've watched the Redline OAV in the last 24 hours.

It depends on the individuals; some are representing gangs, others are lone individuals.There's lots of prestige and valuable prizes to score depending on how you do. Bragging rights too, which are pretty important in their own right.

Actually? You know what? Tell me; what are possible plot hooks one could get out of a no-holds barred high speed death race through a junk-littered, magical radiation-soaked wasteland where local "delights" include giant owls that pretend to be dead trees, cat-snakes the size of elephants, spiders the size of ponies that chase down their prey, unstable energy crystals that sporadically emit blasts of energy that can fry the flesh from your bones, and ambitious raiders that may try and ambush you during the race?

So, llong story short, my dhampirs have a subrace mechanic based on archetypes stolen from Vampire: The Requiem. Do anons think this sounds workable?

Also, is there conceptual room in the same setting for both dhampirs, humans with vampire heritage, and vrylokas, humans who turned themselves into creatures resembling vampires to try and acquire some of the vampire's power?

Random question; would Gulons be Small or Medium sized, do folks think?

Actually, what are good mechanical abilities for a humanoid wolverine, anyway? Cold Resistance, maybe the half-orc's Increased Critical Hit Damage, and/or the Goliath's "lower damage 1/day" ability?

Hmm... any critiques on this statblock?

Gulon
Ability Score Modifiers: +1 Strength, +1 Constitution, +1 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Arctic Dweller: You have Resistance to Cold damage.
Snowstrider: You ignore difficult terrain based on ice and snow.
Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you increase the damage inflicted by +1 dice.
Unflinching: You have Resistance to Fear. Additionally, when you take damage, you can use your reaction to roll a D12 and add your Constitution modifier to the result. Reduce the amount of damage taken by the total rolled, to a minimum of 0. Once you have used this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
Bite: Your fanged maw is a natural weapon, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If yo hit with it, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.

By Resistance to Fear, do you mean that you have Advantage on Fear-related rolls?

Ach! Dammit, yes, that's what I meant, sorry, I screwed that up.

So, aside from screwing that up, any other comments?

bump

Maybe I should let this thread rest...

Just keep posting more setting deails
Also draw a map

Okay, but what sort of setting details? I'm just kind of drawing a blank at the moment.

Are you serious about worldbuilding at all?

Here's one of the setting elements I'm actually a little unsure of:

The hutaakans' whole schtick is that they are hedonists who are very interested in fleshcrafting. Replacing organs or creating clones, this is simple to them, they've mastered the art. But, is it magical realm to mention that this has led to, shall we say, sexual aberrations amongst the race?

Teleportation vs. Transportation
To summarize, mundane methods of transport - courier, cart, train, ship and a budding air transport field - exist because magic in this setting is wide, not deep. Whilst almost everyone has a cantrip up their sleeves, true masters of the craft of magic are still in the minority - not everybody's a level 18 archmage, basically.

Teleportation circles do exist, but in small numbers and jealously guarded. They are rarely if ever open to public access, and the potential weakness they offer to city security means they are unlikely to ever become the dominant method of public transportation.

Science and Sorcery are extremely intertwined, and in fact the former is actually the latter, industrialized, for the most part. For example, an "Ultrasonic Digging Engine" would essentially be a magical-diesel fueled piston-based golem/truck hybrid equipped with a device capable of generating a sustained Rock To Mud spell.

Hmm... for Gulons, does it make sense if there's a kind of civil war ongoing between "the old ways", shamans of an animistic religion, and a younger, bloodier faith based around dark deities like Kostchtchie, Cryonax and Ithaqua?

I'm actually torn between whether the gulons make more sense as a more tribal society, ala Indigenous Canadians, or something more advanced, closer to Russia in the 1800s. Opinions?

Why are you using Veeky Forums as a dev diary?

Because there are questions I just can't decide on answers on, and, really, Veeky Forums has actually been one of the most helpful places I've been to when looking for feedback on this shit.

Is there anything wrong with stealing the half-bunnyfolk, half-miniature lizardfolk look of the Raskvel for kobolds in my setting? Kobolds are kind of like the rabbits of the scalykind races...