/awg/ General

Scales edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Ghost Archipelago, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, Beyond the Gates of Antares, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread
What is your preferred game scale?

Attached: Gameplay-2.png (700x410, 569K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/644661994/alternative-civil-war-1861-a-blackpowder-and-spell
drive.google.com/open?id=0B0RVXAB_sPaKbzhZNjByMm9FRnc
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What miniature is this?

kickstarter.com/projects/644661994/alternative-civil-war-1861-a-blackpowder-and-spell

What games use d10s?

Urban war and this is not a test. I have both if requested

Urban War. Maybe if we mention it more, more people will play it...

drive.google.com/open?id=0B0RVXAB_sPaKbzhZNjByMm9FRnc

Attached: 34401.jpg (883x297, 146K)

Needs more love. So good

>Order a load of minis for a new game (Wrath of Kings)
>Super excited and can't wait for them to arrive
>Finally get something through the letter box
>Outrageous custom fee bill before I can get my parcel
>mfw

Attached: 7686178464_fdc8ea66c7.jpg (800x450, 66K)

>Preferred game scales
Depends on shatbthe game is attempting to do. Skirmish to small platoon then 28-32mm works fine. If there are going to be multiple tanks or other large vehicles per side no larger than 15mm.

MERCS, This is Not a Test, Wrath of Kings, All Quiet on the Martian Front, Warlord, CAV and a fee others I'm blanking on.

Someone asked lastbthread why KM no longer does their Marvel game, and from I understand it was a licensing issue.

Mf .com/folder/74wxxfy9ru8vr/this_is_not_a_test

15mm, I'm a bad painter and even I can make some look decent.
Also getting vehicles is pretty cheap.
10mm-12mm are cool too, 6mm tends to be too much blop.

Thinking of, UW and 6mm, I may finally see my Age of Tyrants kickstarter within the next month or two!
Got the full rules pdf ages back, need to give it a go still, maybe with my Epic stuff until the actual models arrive.

Attached: LegionaryPrincipes1.jpg (800x594, 354K)

Who actually owns Urban War now? Didn't Urban Mammoth go bust or some other dodgy shit happen?

Junkers are such a cool faction, shame the rest don't stirr anything in me.

I got my pledge about a month ago. Lucked out coz I chose Syntha and they got cast relatively early and before any of the machines broke down.

Saga anyone?

Attached: scenario-the-challenge.jpg (1000x534, 122K)

Sweet! Mine's probably gonna be rock-bottom last to ship as I went with a mix of VASA & Viridians so I could run demo games.
Any chance of some photos, or just a comment on the model quality?

Space Roman convict legions with shotguns is a solid look. Even though I play Viridians in Urban War, I think my favourite aesthetic now is a tie between Triad & Junkers.

Attached: Junker RED B 3.jpg (916x450, 234K)

Kind of more /hwg/ related although I'm very interested to see what the rumoured fantasy book is going to be like.

I do love SAGA, easily one of my favourite games.

More of a swordpoint guy myself.

I lack a decent camera, so probably no photos for now. Model quality on the whole is solid. Although I will note that there is a fair amount of bendy barrel syndrome on the vehicles, but nothing a bit of hot water can't fix.

Also the special biomech infantry unit might be the spindliest models I have ever seen and I am slightly terrified of trying to paint them.

It's resin tanks and metal infantry right?

That's right, although the biomechs I mentioned are also resin. CLAU's are metal too.

Scotia Grendel. They have an horrible site, but the prices are good.
They also own the old Void, Kryomek and Leviathan ranges. Underrated scenery, too.

Attached: demonic_altar_and_pillars.jpg (937x288, 60K)

Those look like set dressing from an old 30's horror movie. I kind of dig it.

Ah right. I don't trust resin infantry at 6mm, I'm glad they're mostly metal. Hype for CLAUs!

Have you managed to have a game yet, or did you get the models for proxying mostly?

I haven't even assembled most of the stuff yet as I'm prioritising other projects.

Not likely to get a game in any time soon as I am currently clubless and don't really have the time to spare to go find one ;_;

repoosting

Man I got confused just watching Modiphius demo the game on YouTube and that was only like 8 models total.
I mean there's some really interesting ideas in it like each dice has a bunch of different symbols and thus a chance to benefit every test but damn if it doesn't screw with consistency and whatever the fuck I am looking at with that picture.

Also is anyone else sick of companies trying to push stupid measuring sticks (Mostly FFG) into their games?
Not to mention this dumb "place model IN FRONT of the measuring thingy" annoys me greatly for some reason.

I have yet to pick the rulebook and the era book, I'm willing to do it and go smash faces with based Normans but I'm a bit salty about the price of those two books.

The amount of extra crap you need for FFG games is getting obnoxious. Legion is pretty bad, I got it in X-Wing and Armada, because of the nature of the rules, but there's no reason to pull that shit in Legion. The rules are too straight forward to need a fucking elbowed ruler for moving. Especially when you take into account its not even a set movement, the model can stop at any point along the way.

Batman models for Adepticon are done, still need to clean up the bases, but they are at least tournament legal. Now just need to decide which crew to run, the left 7 or the right 7.

[sorry for the potato quality photo. Don't worry you aren't missing much. I am a mediocre painter at best.]

Attached: adepticon crews.jpg (1867x634, 309K)

Seems that game died when they sent the sculpts off to get them cast. BUT the wayback machine had a beta of the rules since its dead as fuck and the websites even gone

MF .com/folder/bnvp6w510dljz/Alternate_Civil_War

Hosted on MF for convenience

Ummm...how donyou plan to run the group on the left? You'd have two Leaders with Gordon and Bats. And if you proxy Gordon for the version that can be a sidekick you have two sidekicks with Gordon and Cash.

Did that alternate ACW thing actually ever get made?

see

Gordon has affinity batman, so does Cash, so either can be hired as a Free Agent.

The Judge Dredd Miniatures Game.

I think all the Rattrap Productions skirmish games like .45 Adventure are d10 too.

Attached: Dredd.jpg (557x703, 92K)

Ah, don't know how I overlooked that.

I feel like the group on the right has a bit more hitting power, to be honest. Plenty of ranged threats between Batman, Gordon, Cash and the Arkham Guard with assault rifle.

Plus a solid selection for melee between Bats, Arkham Guard with baton, Cash and the regular cop lady.

>your preferred game scale?
to be utterly fair, 15mm
......but my FAVORITE scale is 1:285 / 1:300

cool. why not add this kinda stuff to the copypasta?
or do we have a master drive link i didn't notice?

> is anyone else sick of companies trying to push stupid measuring sticks (Mostly FFG) into their games?
yes. fuck those people in particular.

>stupid measuring sticks

The only time this was ever acceptable was the old red plastic ones from GW starter boxes, because you could fight your friends with them to solve rules arguments.

Left has a lot of fire power too, less pure volume but more consistancy in hitting. Lerida has red dot and expert marksman, Spartan has expert marksman, and Constantine is Constantine.

Anyone know for BMG are the flash/arrow or Arkham Knight books worth getting or does the new rule book cover what's in there.

Don't get them, they're for the old ruleset

Thanks, I figured there was a reason everyplace had them on sale.

So Ive been trying to develop my own game system but recently Ive been thinking. Is it worth it? There are so many systems out is another one really worth it? What do you fellow anons think about homebrew?

If you want to make your own game to make money off it, maybe not.

If you want to make your own game because you enjoy it, or you learn something from the process, or you just want your own 'perfect' game, then go for it.

It was a bigger idea than that. I enjoy writing and have a collection of short stories Im working on, it was supposed to be all one universe that works to this. Even been trying to learn zbrush so I could 3d print some minis.

The arkham knight book has campaign rules that aren't found elsewhere. For the right price its worth a pick up. Don't bother with flash arrow.

Tbh I thought the campaign rules were very underwhelming

Not going to argue there. Wouldn't pay anywhere near retail, but if the books on clearance...

Flash/Arrow is still the only place that has the team rules in it, if you want to play one of them (Birds of Prey, Suicide Squad, Secret Six and Teen Titans) you'd want it, but it can be skipped pretty easily now. The Arkham Knight campaign rules are shit though, and other than the vehicle cards I wouldn't recommend buying that book either

TL;DR Both books are shit and if you can get a scan of the vehicles and team lists you can 100% skip them. I can get shitty photos of them in a few hours, but I don't have a good scanner

10mm is my favorite, but not too many games in it.

>6mm tends to be too much blop.
Thin your paints, user.

I'd be intereated in seeing the team rules for Birds of Prey, myself.

Them I know the basic rules off the top of my head, I play them pretty often and love it. They all get stealth and moral compass (moral compass being the real downside), and your boss gets +1 willpower and reinforced gloves. The actual roster so far is on the hero builder, unlike some of the other teams which are missing members (Titans in particular). Strategies they have one, Aerie Two, that costs 3 points and allows you to hold 2 models off the board until turn 2. You must place them at the beginning of the turn, anywhere on the board.

My favourite way to run the Birds is Hawkman, Black Canary boss and 2-3 other models, usually Catwoman and Huntress. Huntress isn't the best choice but for sitting on an ammo and shooting while Hawkman and Canary run amok she's decent enough, even better if you use change of plans to put her on a medical supplies as well for 6 points a turn

Dystopian wars 3.0[/spoilers]

No Limits and its fantasy cousin No Quarter are d10 based wargames.

>What is your preferred game scale?
My absolute favourite is 25mm+. To me it's perfect for platoon level gaming and below. You could push it into company level gaming but it bogs down easily at that scale with too much bigger shit on the table leaving fuck all room to maneuver. I have been casting my gaze at 10-15mm stuff though, lots of cool ranges out there for that.

Gaslands. Hotwheels meets mad max

I was thinking of doing
Black Canary Boss
Rebirth Batgirl
Katana (original, not movie)
Huntress
Catwoman

I tend to try and avoid the more "super" superheroes and go for the normal folks, with Canary being the obvious exception here.

But right now that's a plan for way later down the line because I'd need the BoP set to get Canary and Huntress (I'll probably give Hawkgirl to my buddy).

That's a super solid list, with the exception of Huntress (but I spoke about her strengths before). Everyone else is very very good, you've got plenty of punch, speed and high defence to make the team work. Just have to remember in teams, you have to maximise VP gain as well as denial, because a larger gang can very quickly outscore you and pick out key pieces

Yeah, I figure a five model crew would be tricky but I imagine that's how playing any sort of elite crew is. When I run Green Arrow or Ra's as leader they'rr gonna eat up a lot of points as well which will generally mean smaller crews with them in charge.

But it'd be a fun little crew with models I will totally use in other lists.

5 models is honestly not that small of a crew in terms of elite things. My Brave and the Bold crews average around 6 models, my Rogues are 8 models, teams I usually only take 4-5, but I always have a plan going in with my teams. In those cases you just have to know when to pass, and every model in the crew has to have a role and stick to it. Take your Birds of Prey list for example, Huntress and Catwoman run around and grab objectives, while the other 3 can beat on models, and Canary shuts down groups of henchmen with her Cry

Bumping

Is there a reason the list of manufacturers has been missing from the previous two OP posts? Is it because it's getting a bit dated?

docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

really like them with this paintjob

Attached: northstar snakeman collage kev dallimore.jpg (2621x960, 265K)

GODDAMMIT ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS GIVE THEM A TAIL REEEEEEEEEE

Nevermind this isn't /hwg/ I am retarded

I'll probably pick up one sprue on ebay just out of curiosity, eventually.

I feel the same, but I think they'd make dope aliens for a sci-fi game of some sort.
Maybe a squad of headhunters for rogue stars of some funky Tau allies.

Stay a while, friend. We have VERY concerned goblins.

Very

Attached: mfw Akkad.jpg (400x400, 37K)

Anyone know a good 6mm fantasy skirmish? I saw an user who's playing 6mm skirmish that looked like scifi, so it put the idea in my head. And I've got a handful of Microworld figures sitting around, so...

I still wanna know what game that pic was of

How so you think geedubs is going to fuck re-launching lotr sbg?
Other than no SC or small cheap starters and no marketing push I mean.

I don't think skirmishes are really the scale for 6mm.
I'm not really deep into the smaller scales but the only systems I can think of are warmaster and the war of the ring, bot by GW.
The next best thing would be Demonworld, although that is 10mm I think.

Hordes of the Things is a name I remember, but as I said I never dabbled in the scale so I don't know anything about it.

Epic and Epic Armageddon are still pretty popular. Could have been that.
Or maybe Ion Age.

If you go up to 15mm there are actually quite a lot sci-fi skirmishers.

Protip: Any miniatures game can be played in any scale, you just might need to fiddle the distances a bit.

all of their minis are twice as expensive as they used to be when the movies where really big.
That alone should make it hard enough to sell much. And then you got stuff right now that is done by FW. So that's expensive too and you can pay a shitload of shipping if you are ordering from outside the uk.
Once brexit is through ordering from FW is gonna suck even more.

And they have a tendency to push for bigger armies in all of their systems. Which obviously means more sales.

They don't need to fuck up the game itself, their greed is gonna do the rest on it's own.
I mean these days people have choices. It's not the only 90s anymore where they were the only ones doing plastic fantasy and sci-fi minis.

I know that, but it'd be a hell or a lot easier to just find one

Still have the scars to prove it.

Looking at that butt, it may be pretty simple to add one. Just stick it right on there, say it's through a hole in the cloth. They might as well come out with a metal tail pack.

As sci-fi skirmish user, the beauty of skirmish is that it’s all scale-independent. If you have the minis, just find any old rules and change the inches to cm.
I know a lot of people dislike that, but where vertical movement is involved it’s important.

Does anyone know where I could find some cheap, modern 28mm terrain? Not necessarily post-apoc, but I'm open to it.

Which country are you in? There's probably a cheap decent MDF supplier. Sarissa in the UK, or War Bases, or ttcombat, or fuckloads of others.

Ive been hearing a lot about saga and would like to see what all the buzz is about. Does anyone have a PDF of the rulebook?

What Said. MDF guys in the UK have some pretty good deals. They can get even cheaper with some of the ebay MDF guys as well.

I'll forever keep my Whippy Sticks. Got about 12 or 14 of them and I'm going to pass them down to my children as a family heirloom.

Displacedminiatures com/lupus_yonderboy/image/2432/23043/ is all the information there is available, I’m afraid.

Definitely none of them, just doesn’t look right.

So I saw this kickstarter and it looks kindof interesting. I like skirmish scifi games. It says its based on the fistful of lead game system, which I am only familiar with by name. Does anyone have the rulebook for that game so I can get an idea of this one?

fucking spam filter wont let me link the page, just search 'galactic heroes' on kickstarter i guess

yeah I was gonna say sarissa too. They have a load of mdf scenery in warlords onlinestore, which has all kinds of modern stuff, since they need to offer something for bolt action and their zombie game.

Mantic also has a set of modular plastic scenery for their mars attacks game, but maybe the sets of crashed cars and street furniture are interesting too.

4Grounds also has some scenery in their homeland apocalypse range. Although those are not really cheap anymore. But they look nice.

For post apoc stuff a trip to a toy store would also be a good idea I think. If you can find cheap sets of toy cars, tankers or cranes you have some great material to build rubble piles or improvised barricades with.

Armorcast and Ainsty also have some interesting pieces for modern/post apoc settings I think. Resin though, so not as cheap as mdf either.

>Definitely none of them, just doesn’t look right.
do you have the picture?

Okay, thank you all for your help. I'm from France, so I hope they won't gut me with shipping, but I'll go and have a look nonetheless.

See my link ()
It says they’re gzg minis with card scenery. They aren’t epic because they’re individually based. They aren’t ion age or epic because they don’t appear to be squadded up. Also there are alien aliens which aren’t very ion age.
Personally I’ll be using FUBAR for skirmish and Laser Storm for mass battles.

That's child abuse, you monster.

The other use for them was to give them to your opponents to use when they didn't have a tape measure of their own, as the inches on the red plastic measuring sticks were slightly shorter than regular inches.

well it tells you which minis he is using.
What else do you need?
I think ral partha has the small scale minis atm after gzg died.

Those who survive will be stronger for it, forged in plastic, glue and tears.

Whoa whoa, GZG died? That cannot be, tell me it ain’t so

Ground Zero are definitely not dead.

ah, crap.
Sorry I confused them with Critical Mass.

Phew, easy mistake to make at this time of day I suppose.

The Mouse either wanted too much for the Marvel license, or figured that they could do something in house and reap more of a profit by cutting out KM as a middleman.

A shame. My friends are all really big on Marvel, and I'd find their favorite characters, paint them up to the best of my ability, and give them as gifts.