Moujse Guard and Torchbearer

I'm considering getting these and have couple questions.

Is the box set of Mouse Guard worth it? It's double price but has cards, and very pretty dice and an extra book and a bunch of other stuff. I'm not sure how important the cards are. The one thing I really dislike is that it has a softcover book while if you get the book by itself it's hardcover so I'm really undecided.

Torchbearer only has the cards sold separately, I assume they're similar to MG cards and every player is meant to have a whole deck. Are these important? I really don't want to get these fucking cards though, they are pretty expensive, and getting 4 decks will cost more than the whole rule book.

Attached: mouse guard.jpg (374x374, 151K)

bump

bmp

Attached: 1491194525941.jpg (1240x1754, 1.21M)

Yes, core rulebooks today are sold for $60 base price and you don't get any cool stuff included. The stuff included in the Mouse Guard box set is high quality as well (plus it comes with 20 dice). You don't actually need the cards to play either game, it's just optional (and very useful) player aid material.

Oh okay. I guess i'll just have to be more careful with the softcover book. How is the binding on that one? I dont want it to fall apart from regular use.

Attached: 1501178925248.png (454x515, 335K)

Unless you're violently throwing the book around it's good. The only problem I've ever had with softcover books is the plastic cellophane stuff they use for the cover and how it peels over time, Mouse Guard at least uses a thicker cardstock style cover so it's a bit tougher than regular softcovers.

Mouse Guard is a great, well thought out system. Torchbearer is not.

On the contrary, Torchbearer is a great, well thought out system.

someone has gotta be wrong friendo

Quite.

*looks at u*

keep on looking

I like what I see. Wanna grab a coffee sometime?

not with a pleb who likes torchbearer

I like Mouse Guard. The cards are so useful I ended up printing a couple myself. What's Torchbearer?

Official hack of Mouse Guard inspired by OSR.

How is a hack official? And shouldn't it be a hack of Burning Wheel?

It's a repurposing of the Mouse Guard system to do dungeon crawling. In the long run, yeah it's a hack of BW since it'd be a hack of Mouse Guard which is a hack of Burning Wheel.

Yeah I realized that both questions were dumb seconds after hitting post. I'm not really into OSR so I won't be checking out Torchbearer, but I'm sure it works wonders. Mouse Guard is my go to system for any setting that doesn't have one

It's way more Mouse Guard than it is OSR, but as someone who likes both I found it to be too clunky.

Wat, clunky?! Mouse guard is the simplest shit ever, what did they do?

They just put way too many subsystems. Some of them are neat on their own, but the whole game just feels like a drag to play. It even says in the book that it will take about 10 sessions before you even understand how to play reasonably.