Party comes up with retarded plan

>Party comes up with retarded plan
>Informed that plan is retarded and unlikely to work but they want to go through with it anyway
>Plan inevitably fails
>Players get mad their plan doesn't work

When did you realize you were playing with brainlets?

Attached: 1512404339029.png (625x773, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thealexandrian.net/wordpress/8406
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>party member constantly does dumb shit for the sake of being "quirky" when it would very obviously cause problems
>"have a little fun user!"

Attached: 7e90afab8db73b85ca939e0cfb104f78a996d27c_full.jpg (184x184, 10K)

>the only people interested in your campaign are retarded

Attached: 1517004171415.png (625x773, 117K)

I wonder how many wojacks we'll get out of this 'dumb wojack' race. There's been quite a few already.

Yeah, that can be really annoying. There's a line between your character making bad decisions because it's consistent roleplaying (which I'm fine with), and your character making bad decisions because 'lolrandumb'.

>level 2 party sees a battle between two large armies
>one side has a wizard with a wand of fire, casting fireballs and walls of fire everywhere
>annihilates the other army pretty quickly
>decide that I want to sneak through the woods and get a closer look at the enemy
>rest of the party gets mad, they want to charge him
>go ahead and sneak in anyway
>about to charm wizard
>party rushes him and his troops, gets incinerated after taking massive damage
>successfully charm wizard
>my character is neutral so the rest of the army just goes along with
And that's how my character accidentally joined the evil army after my party got themselves killed.

Attached: 1520970675581.jpg (572x303, 112K)

You're not supposed to have it just fail completely.
If you're going to let them waste time on the plan give them something for it. Not necessarily total success, but SOMETHING.

And if you aren't, don't let them spend time shooting themselves in the foot you moron.

How did the campaign turn out afterward?

thealexandrian.net/wordpress/8406
Might be a failure to communicate on your part.

If the whole group went along with it then, depending on how dumb it was, it might be a failure to have fun on your part.

>Party reaches the evil Wizard's laboratory
>They've managed to conceal themselves while and scope out the room
>Almost various cages filled with all sorts of monsters and abominations with horrible abilities
>Rather than launch a sneak attack, run away, or charge on in, they throw rocks into the room to try and make the Wizard "walk closer for the sneak attack"
>The Wizard naturally instead starts opening cages to send his experiments to check for intruders
>They waste SPELL after SPELL making sure they aren't caught but and continue this plan because they think "well eventually the Wizard will come over here and we'll be able to 1 shot him :^)"
>Wizard releases over half his abominations and they all start going to closing in on where the party is hiding
>Run away or get fucking murdered
>They pick get fucking murdered as I roll EVER dice roll in front of them
>"this encounter wasn't fair!!!!!!"

Not him, but I have had repeated instances where I would point blank tell the players that whatever the course of action was is suicidal and/or impossible to succeed at, and still had them go for it, and still had them whine when whatever it was didn't work.

I can't say it for certain, but I suspect that at least some of it is bad habits formed by what I call "GM chicken". Players know that GMs don't usually want to do TPKs on a bad note, so they try to strongarm the DM into allowing them to do something nuts by insisting on a suicidal course of action when they can't think of an actual solution to a problem.

>point blank tell the players that whatever the course of action was is suicidal and/or impossible to succeed at, and still had them go for it
The advice in the link isn't "tell them it won't work," it's "make sure what you think they're trying to do is what they're trying to do."

My mage went from CN to LE and my DM had us all roll up new characters. My old mage was usually out of the game, but occasionally for shits and giggles we described his adventures as a recruit of the evil army.

Yes, because the implicit assumption is that if the players are embarked on a suicidal course of action, it MUST be because of a miscommunication as to likely outcome or what is intended. If you can clear up the miscommunication on one end or another, you will realize that one or both parties has left something important was left out, and the course of action would be reasonable, not suicidal.

I can only speak anecdotally here, but that is not always the case. If we return to the jumping off a 200 foot building, I've proverbially told them how high it was and checked that they had no resources necessary to survive the fall, but they'll jump ahead anyway; and I suspect that the reason is a meta-thought process based on the reasoning that the GM isn't actually going to inflict the consequences, in this case taking a massive amount of falling damage and leading to the player's death.

You could broadly label that a sort of miscommunication, in the sense that players learned from previous games that they could get away with things like this, but that's far outside what the author is aiming at, and I disagree with his conclusion and implicit assumption.

Teehee Maccaroni is the bane of my fucking existence.

Every fucking campaign that my GM runs inevitably at some point involves running into an NPC named "Teehee Maccaroni," who the GM affectionately describes as "an epic level sorcerer who's also a retarded nudist gnome."

Teehee Maccaroni wander the countryside with a unique Rod of Wonders powered by "retard magic" shoved up his anus, and he casts the Rod of Wonders by diddling his penis. He says nothing but his own name in different inflections and the phrase "I like-a the goodberry, gimme gimme the goodberry." The GM thinks it's hilarious to have this character show up during the middle of encounters we're struggling at and start jerking off magic everywhere.

But the worst part is his chant. He wanders around chanting his name, so when he's about to show up the GM will start low;
>Tee-hee-hee, Maccaroni Maccaroni
>Tee-hee-hee, Maccaroni Maccaroni
And then get louder and louder until he's fucking shouting
>TEE HEE HEE, MACCARONI MACCARONI!
>TEE HEE HEE, MACCARONI MACCARONI!

And the table loves it! The other guys I play with think this is the best shit! Teehee Maccaroni has been our table's de-facto inside joke, our signature "running gag" for six years now. When that chant starts up, everyone else joins in like a ritual; the whole table is expected to start chanting "TEE HEE HEE, MACCARONI MACCARONI" by the end, and every fucking time I refuse because this is some embarrassing circa-2002 Penguin of Doom shit, it's always the same thing; "There goes user again! No fun allowed around user! user's just a big grouch who's getting angry because we're making him touch Teehee Maccaroni's penis again! Why won't you just let us have fun with this character, he's just here for dumb fun, you stick-in-the mud!"

These motherfuckers are all over 25 years old.

Teehee Maccaroni is going to be the death of me.

Sounds like you're just mad that the rest of your party is having fun

it's a copypasta dude

A what?

All that is wrong is rooted in drifters.

Attached: ten_thousand.png (462x316, 41K)

I realized a long time ago that player plans often fall victim to braintrust-syndrome

Where plans become increasingly more complex and thanks to the constant encouragement of other players seem like they're unlikely to fail no matter how asinine. The best thing you can do as a DM is make it fun and not immediately beat them down for their plans, since having something incredibly bullshit actually working (after much floundering and struggling) is a great feeling.

Remember you're not there to punish your players, but merely help them along in creating an enjoyable experience/story for everyone.

jesus will purify this thread.

t t t t

see the crosses
know that him was kiled for you.

Uh... what in the fuck?^^^^

>Be retarded DM
>Set up a situation with a really obvious solution
>Players cannot find said solution
>Get frustrated after hours of little to no progress
Not saying this is you, but I see that all to often, a GM who expects the players to solve a problem his way, when his way isn't at all intuitive to a normal person.