/Beer General/

>Whats everyone drinking?
>Reviews?
>Looking forward too?

Drinking my way through a 6pack of Ballast Point's "Dead Ringer," an Oktoberfest copycat.

It's shit. Way too sweet with no hops to balance it. Doesn't even come close to the shittiest of the original Marzens (which is probably Spaten IMO), not to mention Hacker-Pschorr, my favorite of them all.

Fucking 211 ”Blk Berry", you goddamn elitist pricktico.

Yeah i think with those oktoberfest beers its hard to mimic the originals.

>just one more month until pumpkin spice beer season

Drinking this stuff. It was super fresh and great the last time I had it. The pack i got yesterday was over a month old and sucks. Oh well.
Also Prairie started distributing to my area. Other than Bomb!, what else is good from them?

Fuck

PBR, only cheap beer i'll drink. ranger ipa is also one of my goto's

westbrook key lime gose. it's okay

Brunch Weasel

I'm such a sucker, because that advertising fucking works on me. I would buy that. Reminds me of Surge which might have something to do with it.

Ive been on keystone light lately because im broke as shit and I can buy it for $10 a 12pack

I've had good ones before; Victory's Festbier and possibly a few others.

Picked this up last night. I've had porters and stouts with chocolate and vanilla flavors advertised. They're nice and this one is a good example. I recommend it to anyone who would like a darker beer to try. If you can't find this particular bottle I've seen other breweries make a similar brew in the same style.

Weihenstephaner Vitus - I first tried German hefewizen and this is a beer with more pronounced flavor with a higher abv. Has a nice banana flavor from the yeast.

Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro- the first nitro beer I tried. Rich, smooth, w/ a creamy mouth feel.

Found it by chance at a local store bought 3. Breddy gud for an imperial ipa. I prefer russian imperial stouts.

I can get craft beer on sale for $10/12pack here in CO. It's the cause of my borderline alcoholism

I'm so sorry keystone light is your only sub $1/beer option

I live in a dry county in a shitty southern town I have to drive 10min across county lines to buy any beer at all and they get top fucking dollar for it $13.50 for a 12 pack of coors light or anything like that

I finally went off the deep end and have been home brewing like crazy. Over the past five months I've made a 7.2% dunkel, a 5% Patersbier, a 7% dark IPA, and a 4% hoppy wheat beer. Now I've got a Saison with honey in the fermenter. It's already at 8.7% and still bubbling.
I haven't bought a beer from the store except for Guinness, a few mix-6's, and Oktoberfests since they're fresh. Saw Blue Pants Oktoberfest but haven't tried it yet, any good?
Going to try to brew a Stout next since I haven't made a good one yet, then a Kolsch.

what type of equipment do I need to make something comparable to coors light ? what do u store it in?

Very light lagers are actually some of the harder beers to brew, since you need pretty tight temperature control, both during the mash and fermentation. You essentially need a fridge just for your fermentation.

I can manage that actually have a fridge in my shop I could use

Just get a starter kit, a nice 6-8 gallon kettle, bottles, caps, and Sanitizer. I got mine from Midwest Supplies. Northern Brewer and morebeer.com are awesome too, though I can't vouch for their starter kits.
A burner and wort chiller are awesome to have too. Really that's all the equipment you need. Having access to good spring water is key too.

A homebrewed Coors Light would definitely taste different from the real thing I would think. You could mimic any blonde style and that would be comparable.

I have access to spring water but im not sure how "good" it is but people im my community have been stopping on the side of the road to drink it for years

Sounds exactly like what I use. I've used well and spring water for all my brews, never had any problems. You should find out if your city tests it or not.

Oh wow. I didn't know there existed Americans who have it as bad as us Finns when it comes to alcohol prices. Makes me feel good.

whats the difference between the stainless kettle on there and a s gallon pot from the food section at Walmart?

I've been looking for a bottle, but I can only find them for around €14. Would it be worth it?

Drinking top tier Wisconsin beer

Better photo

Aren't only 2 of those from wi?

Just made some bolognese. Eating with this shit beer on promotion

>no ale asylum
pleb

Have you tried James Squires Highwayman/Red ale? I can't find it anywhere but it's the best beer I had from them, I only ever saw it on tap at the Portland Hotel/James Squire brewery

>sans alcohol
what's the point?

The beer I most often drink is 2.3%, it's tasty and hydrating

Just had one of these the other night. Anything else that tastes like this?

Yes, this is also very good.

People won't shut up about it in my hometown. I mean granted, that's where the brewery is, so it's just some local pride I suppose mixed with so many people liking IPAs there. Personally I like their Damnation more, though I don't think I've ever seen it bottled anywhere even when I was still in Santa Rosa.

They sell Damnation bottled too but it's kind of expensive. On the East Coast, Damnation is actually the only Russian River that you can easily buy.

The liquor store I work at is filled with pumpkin beer and Octoberfest beers already

A guy at the liquor commission recommended this to me because I told him I don't really like IPAs. He said I might just not have had a good one yet and to try this one because it's sort of mild on the hops.

I have some frosted mugs in the freezer, should I use those? Or just a room temperature glass?

>like brown beer and ale in general
>no proper beer culture in my country
>only been to Hungary, like Szalon Barna
>foreign beer is VERY expensive

That's rough user. I live in the boondocks in Canada and there are three varieties of brown ale at my liquor store. I love that stuff too.

Just room temperature. Frosted will mask the flavor and you might as well try it fully and see if you like IPA's.

Personally I liked the first IPA I ever tried, Victory Hop Devil.

Gotcha. I was probably leaning towards chilled just because I already don't care for the bitterness but you're probably right that I should just go all-in on it.

Should I leave it out of the fridge for a while too?

I wouldn't do that with an IPA. I think drinking them cold is good, just not ice-cold. High alcohol beers like 9%+ are more likely to be good at warmer temperatures.

Thanks for the input. I'll crack it open now and have a taste.

>Should I leave it out of the fridge for a while too?
only if you want to taste it or learn anything

Hoegaarden

Oh, believe me I taste it. Just had a sip. Still got that really gross iodine aftertaste that I've hated in every IPA I've tasted.

I just think this really isn't for me, but I get that other people like it. Oh well. There's plenty of beer out there that I do like, I can live without understanding the appeal of IPAs.

St Bernadus Abt 12 and Nelson's Three Sheets pale

So I'm a devout amber/brown/blonde ale drinker who also loves porters. However, one beast I just couldn't ever enjoy were IPA's. They are so god damn hoppy.

That is, until I met this bad boy.

I struggle with Ballast Point because of that cuck Ian drinking it.

Finally found a bottle for a decent price (6bux) and I have to say that everyone who posted this was right.

This is a fine stout.

pic isn't mine.

Beer is disgusting.

While not an exact clone, this bier is my favourite.

Also, 3bux a pint.

I disagree, Paulaner makes a better double bock.

Also, try Samuel Adams version, its really tasty.

I bought it simply bc the popular beer websites all list it as a 100 beer world class. Im not really into the muh hops style of beer. Ive had hop stoopid from lagunitas as well as stones ipas and pliny is a mpre balanced beer, yet they have similar flavor profiles. Piney, herbacious, resinous, grapefruit.

Yes, totally

Is the Hop Thief any good?

I've never really liked any IPAs but I still want to try Pliny. Will I dislike it if I have never liked any other IPA? I hear so many good things about it

yeah its pretty good. easy drinking but still has a 'mature' taste

> Whats everyone drinking?
I'm just done with extract brew stout (munton's) and ruby red ale (st. peter's).

> Reviews?
9/10 would brew again. Works out in terms of price and effort.

> Looking forward too?
Gonna make more stout or alt beer, maybe today.

>decent price (6bux)
>3bux a pint.
You might want to try homebrewing at some point.

Costs around $15-30 per ~23 liters (/40 UK pint) for easy extract brew, and you can make those styles well and easy and tinker with them.

Cost could be be halved or less if you processed all ingredients on your own and mashed your own wort rather than using an extract.

>I bought it simply bc the popular beer websites all list it as a 100 beer world class.
I'm not surprised. I've seen people from all over line outside Russian River when they do their annual release of Younger.

Same here, I live in an autumn town though, so I'm used to that season starting early.

In Kansas City. There's a couple small breweries. Boulevard is the biggest one, and pretty much the go-to for me and anyone else in the city. They make your basic beers, nothing fancy. I always have some pale ale on hand because its easy drinking. There's also KC Bier Co. which does more adventurous stuff. I try their seasonals when they come out. Looking forward to Oktoberfest.

I had to quit drinking because of health problems. Wwaaahhh...... goodbye beer, my old friend. You will be missed.

Does anyone know of any beer services that send you specialized variety packs like those wine box companies?

I honestly have no idea how to get into fancy beer. It's overwhelming.

Don't know who the fuck Ian is, but Ballast Point's Sculpin and Grapefruit Sculpin are top tier IPA's.

Currently drinking Deschutes Brewery Black Butte. For a darker beer, it doesn't feel heavy, and tastes great. Would rec

> variety packs
Almost pointless. There are so many beers. I guess you can kinda find out how some style of beer MIGHT taste, but it still depends on the individual brewery for most styles.

Just create your own "variety pack" by ordering (or locally buying) a bunch of different beers from a store where you could afford to buy more.

The grapefruit is great, regular sculpin is pretty mediocre. I feel like the only reason it gets praise is because it's one of the few slightly balanced ipas from the west coast.
I tried Ale Smiths ipa the other day and it was so bitter I couldn't do it. The other stuff I've had from them was great, but I can't stand unbalanced ipas.

I dont think you will like it, since it has all the flavor profiles of an IPA. Hop forward, herbacious, citrus (grapefruit pith), and imo fermented pineapple. That being said its the best (imperial) IPA ive tried. And it is a very balanced IPA.

If you can find it buy 1 bottle just to be able to say you tried it. At worst, you will be able to say you dont like IPA knowing you tried a world class IPA and didnt like it.

A 4-pack of Old Rasputin is like $11 for me here in NE. Where are you? But yeah, it's great.

Try Great Divide's Yeti or Victory's Storm King if you get the chance.

Haven't found a decent beer since I've come to the US. Nothing compares to german beers.

>43 cents per fl ounce
>for beer
>$55.80 a gallon
wat

High taxes. It's 7 or 8.99 in mn

Then you're trying the wrong styles or just not finding decent stuff. We can't compete with the Germans, or Belgians, in a lot of their bread and butter ones, but a few breweries can come at least passably close. And we probably win in styles like stouts and whatnot. IPAs too I guess, but I'm not a huge fan of them.

You need to rethink your math there a bit bud. If he's getting a 4-pack for $11, that mean's it's $2.75 a 12oz bottle. Not bad pricing for a quality high abv beer like Old Rasputin, but not great. You must not drink much nice beer if you think that's bad. And who the fuck would buy a gallon of a russian imperial stout lol.

try all the sculpins, especially pineapple sculpin

where my mofuckin MN bros at? I know you guys always chill in these threads

>You need to rethink your math there a bit bud. If he's getting a 4-pack for $11, that mean's it's $2.75 a 12oz bottle. Not bad pricing for a quality high abv beer like Old Rasputin, but not great. You must not drink much nice beer if you think that's bad. And who the fuck would buy a gallon of a russian imperial stout lol.

pretty is talking about his own price lol. That'd be like $20+ for a 4 pack. Complete ripoff for a beer like old rasputin (which is good but never that expensive). the only 4 packs i see that picey or worse are important belgians like chimay/bernardus. so my guess is he's not in the states.

but yeah who tf wants to buy a gallon of beer lol. maybe if you're at a party or something, but then you just go cheap.

Sorry, I did divide backwards.
$29.30 a gallon versus normal people prices of $7.20 a gallon.

Well yeah, the whole point is most people don't buy expensive beer in huge quantity, or that often. If someone does, then power to them for having the budget for it.

Personally, I don't really drink that much during the average week. Sometimes when I've got the cash, I'd rather just drink 1-2 high abv beers beers that taste good rather than sling back yuenglings.

you lucky nigger. best beer in the world

Suburbs here. This place just opened up near me, and while their brown is pretty tasty, their hoppy stuff kind of sucked. The misty mountain hop was okay, but their opener mosaic wasn't too great. I'll give them a year or so to get their shit together. Hoping for good things.

>victory
>wisconsin
what the fuck are you on about buddy
good taste though, what'd you get?

> I'll give them a year or so to get their shit together. Hoping for good things.
Just homebrew meanwhile. Either you get better beer in a month already (as often happens when you just brew well-developed extracts and recipes...), or you at least gain some appreciation for their better beers.

Are you the guy who keeps telling people to home brew?

One or more anons that aren't me talked about homebrewing in this thread alone.

But I obviously am explicitly suggesting to try it, yes.

Alright, to anyone and everyone who keeps saying this, just stop. Everyone knows you can brew beer at home easily. I've brewed beer at home. If someone wants to brew beer at home they will.
Unless you're posting your actual home brews or someone specifically asks about the process, then fuck off.
Jesus christ it's like someone made their first batch and wants to try and throw around their basic knowledge about the shit. Start your own thread.

It's directly related to beer drinking threads. And also directly related to optimizing the cost and diversity of available beer that was discussed.

If that bothers you for some reason, I suggest you just ignore or GTFO.

Except it's not. It's about as relevant as someone going to a potato chips thread and saying "lol u can make this at home"
It adds literally nothing to the thread. Once again, if you're not going to post your own brews or someone asks about it, then shut the fuck up.

If someone complained about how expensive supermarket lunch box rice was, I am pretty sure some people will start explaining how you could cook inexpensive dried rice.

Either way, by both the OP and the discussion in general., I'm on topic. Your complaints are not. And pointless since I'm not going to do what you want.

Go back to whatever social network you came from. You can live your "discussions relevant to me only" nonsense there.

Who complained about price anywhere? One person for some reason calculated the price of a gallon of old rasputin.
Your posts aren't helpful at all.
>hey buy hundreds of dollars worth of equipment, then try and most likely fail a few batches before getting home brewing down, THEN YOU'LL SAVE MONEY
That's your advice that no one asked for. Literally no one in this thread.

Ya, it was discussed. And it's beer general.

Here's something else worthwhile of discussion:
>hey buy hundreds of dollars worth of equipment, then try and most likely fail a few batches before getting home brewing down, THEN YOU'LL SAVE MONEY
No, you don't need to at all. And you don't need a farm and tractor either.

The cost to get started is around $40 to 60, $20 of which is your first 5 gallons of beer.

Utensils:
- $15 brewing bucket with airlock. Plastic tube for transfer (~$1?), spoon for stirring, $0.5 stick-on thermometer strip
- Optionally a ~$8 hydrometer (observing that the airlock no longer bubbles or just waiting also usually work fine).

Consumables:
- $20-30 for the beer extract kit and sugar / malt extract.
- About 5 gallons of water.
- $0.05-0.1 of dish washing liquid and optionally sanitizer in spray bottle

Final storage:
Old PVC bottles from any typical carbonated drink, primed with 5g sugar put into each for nice foam with CO2. I'll just call them free.

Or perhaps a $30 plastic barrel with tap and a CO2 / NO2 valve. Or whatever you prefer.

I get this bearded guy that owns a shop to get some hops then put the hops in a vice, then squeeze out all of the liquid into a jug untill it's full.

But that's not enough, he then boils the liqued untill it's condensed. Then he finaly bottles it with (the label says artisan craft) with a dprincle of yeast at the bottom in bottles he got out of a kickstarter fund. He desingned them.

I then take the first sip and say mmm hoppie.

drinking this monster

It's a altbier with added black and red currants with a sour and smoked taste.

Definitely one of my favorites

HB is nazi beer.

The party formed in their brewing house