So I've been vegan for about a year now, purely based on animal suffering alone...

So I've been vegan for about a year now, purely based on animal suffering alone. Recently I've been having an ethical dilemma about it, though.

I think eating meat because it tastes gud etc. isn't enough of a reason to be horrible to animals. BUT, if the animal was treated in a way which meant that their life had more joy in it than suffering, would it be wrong to cease the existence for others?

for example:

>someone is born
>10 good things happen in their life
>8 bad things happen

Is that a good life? Should these animals continue to be created?

Also, I don't want this thread to be a vegan vs non vegan shitfest. I just am curious on this point alone.

You have this dilemma because you don't have God in your life. It's a shame, too, because this world really needs believers right now more than ever.

God put animals here to serve us. That's all the reassurance you need. Not much else too it, really.

srsly tho

If ethics means you don't want to support their inhumane slaughter, would you eat free meat dishes (BBQ, work function, eat...) operating under the logic that you didn't support the slaughter?

Yeah I'm sure God put the parasite that burrows into the starving child's eye to serve us too...

morality aside it's worse for the environment to eat meat

If you love animals so much, quit eating all their fuckin food!

I just think veganism is a silly concept though a biological standpoint.

Animals are animals, they are not our friends they are selfish, and lack the ability to have empathy/deep form of consciousness. I like to imagine a pig carrying away a newborn baby to eat it, just to prove it does not care. They WILL kill you if they were hungry or scared, so you should do the same. We are not allies with animals, they are fucking rude disgusting selfish creatures.

I seriously think veganism is a result of watching too many Walt Disney films and humanizing animals too much. This isnt bambi, this is a wild cow/rat that would hoof you or your children to death. Fuck them. Get in my stomach.

If you're a nilihist/absurdist/existentialist, you'll see that it's pointless anyway to care about an animal's suffering. It will have died anyway, it would have never existed save humans specifically domesticating them.

[spoiler]might makes right in the animal world, and we have been the mightiest for a long time [/spoiler]

I went vegan and I will never fully go back but the best way to eat is 70% vegan imo. when you're out with friends and you want meat, eat it. if you want a pizza with cheese, eat it. but try and maintain a vegan diet and focus more on reducing your animal
product intake instead of getting rid of it completely. early humans were eating pig brains and birds so there's no real argument saying its "unnatural"

Animals don't care about good/bad things that happen in their life. They only know if something hurts or feels good. They don't count the good and the bad to find out if they came out on top. So there's no reason for you to project your morality to another creature in order to find guidance.

I'm not a vegan, but I do understand why people would choose to be one. Like other anons in this thread have said, humans are at the top of the food chain, and it's natural that we should eat the animals below us. However, I do think that way we treat animals in the agricultural industry is pretty unethical, so I stick to cage-free/grass-fed/wild caught etc.

One need not be black and white in one's ethics. Take animal suffering, for example. It's legit to say you want to participate as little as possible in the causes of animal suffering. But if you take a wide enough view your very existence causes it. There's no way one can live in the modern world without haveing some of the things you do be causes of animal suffering. Or people suffering, for that matter. Chances are good that the chocolate you eat, the coffee you drink or the vanilla that flavors your awful vegan desserts got to you through some chain of suffering. To say nothing of the computer you're using and the phone in your pocket.

You cannot exist doing no harm. But choosing to do little is ethical. And once you accept that causing some suffering here and there is inevitable you can eat a mostly vegan diet and still enjoy a steak every now and then, secure in the knowledge that most of the time you're doing much less harm than you could be.

If an animalhas had a natural life in the wild and gets a bullet in the head without knowing anything about it and there are no young depending on it or other extraneous variables then there's no ethical argument for veganism that makes sense, pretty much the best way to go. Vegetarianism on the other hand is bat shit retarded for ethical reasons

This user is right. Dietary choices should be about harm reduction.

I try to eat as little meat as possible, but i won't beat myself up if it's the only thing to eat or if i'm saving it from being tossed out.

How would you like to be murdered at some arbitrary point during your retirement?

It seems like vegans believe that because nonplant life can't consent to being food, taking from them is not ethical. there's a reason vegans refuse honey. Bees can't consent, thus taking honey is exploitation. That's just what vegan friends have told me.

>raise rabbits
>treat them well
>feed them fresh vegetables, abundant hay
>give them lots of space to run around in and explore
>when they reach maturity, kill them, dress them
>bring them to your kitchen, cook them properly, deliciously, share the meal with friends and family, or even just sustain yourself alone

please tell me what is unethical about this scenario, OP.

Life is short, user.

Stop navigating the maze of petty morals and ethics and start living. Embrace the opportunity, not the principle. Instead of using your time picking ideologies to control your desires, learn to guide your desires to whatever makes you truly happy.

>in curious on this point alone
>mentions his veganism for no reason in his first sentence
>lol no shitfest

There's no moral dilemma. Animals have no morals. Eat it or don't.

You'd be surprised by how many old people pray for that very thing. In too much pain to live comfortably, but too scared to do it themselves.

the part where you kill the animal

dude, it's a fucking animal, they kill and eat each other.

you think a cow eats grass because it wants to?
no, a cow eats grass because grass doesn't run away and they don't have predatory traits.

why should we think to be so above nature that we denie a great part of our alimentation on purpose, when it was meat eating that got us here in the first place.

Parasite is feasting on the child.
The parasite grows, and spreads.
Get's eaten by a bird, bug, or whatever.
Further down the cycle we eat the chicken or cow that grew from that parasites energy.

It has served a purpose user, you just need to get gud.

Why can animals eat each other alive in the wild but it's so wrong for a human to kill one humanely?

What else are they going to do? Study agriculture and grow potatoes?

If you really care about animal suffering you should support farms that threat their livestock well.

well duh
that's just called eating normally

Evolve or die?

rabbits get eaten by pretty much every other animal that has ever existed
sucks to be a rabbit, but they're role is to convert grass into lean meat for birds and squirrels and foxes and dogs and cats and people to ingest
moralizing nature is a waste of time, but do what you gotta do

there is no reason to kill in the future. If you do, it's purely out of egotism.
However, our society is built on egotism, so technically it's not the fault of the pig that gets fat, it's the fault of the one who feeds the pig.

You were taught by society to be egotistic and allow the suffering of other beings for your pleasure. Either accept that you are that and enjoy your food, or go against it and try to make a difference.

I try to eat vegan as much as possible and try to keep animal products down to 1 meal a week at most (usually that really hungover day or a very special occasion where someone cooks for me and I feel like shit not accepting gramma's special meal or a special even where I get free food that I'll never be able to experience/afford in my lifetime).

It's wrong by all means at the point of intelligence/technology that we're at. However what has made us intelligent and technologically savvy has also made us egocentric so yeah

Just like
try
a little at least

and for chrissakes eats yr fucking veggies, and stop eating processed "food"

That's not a sound argument. You cannot compare a human's life to an animals, because their existence is meaningless to them.

That's actually retarded.