Be on Veeky Forums

>be on Veeky Forums
>new mexico and colorado anons always argue about which state the hatch chile belongs to
>each one always claims you can only find it in their state
>walk into grocery store in northern california today
>giant bin of hatch chiles for 99 cents per pound

So, what do with a bunch of hatch chiles? I know you're basically supposed to roast them first whatever you do, but what are your favorite applications? I'll probably do some stuffed things tomorrow with whatever I have on hand, and make a basic green sauce, but looking for other ideas. If they turn out to be as good as everyone says I might buy more and freeze them, as that supposedly works well.

Hatch chile's come from Hatch, New Mexico. Who ever argued that?

Yes, they need to be roasted first. Was there not a guy out front of the store roasting them?

one word: rellenos

>was there not a guy out front of the store roasting them

Nah. I really doubt there's enough demand in the area for there to be someone roasting them on site.

>So, what do with a bunch of hatch chiles?
You make green chili and eat smothered everything for the next week. It's fucking wonderful

Not really practical to roast them yourself unless you only have a few pounds.
The roasting service is pretty key to the success of your dish

>tfw Hatch, NM is my hometown
>tfw my whole family lives there
>tfw we all picked chile when we were young

It's so weird to me when people mention my tiny little ghetto 1500 population hometown. Like, I never thought we were relevant and assumed that every small town that grew chile was the "chile capitol of the world".

>we all picked chile when we were young
Are you a brown person?

No.

Unless by "brown person" you mean "mexican", in which case yeah, i'm a taco.

Put them under the broiler until they're black and blistered. Put them in a ziplock for ten minutes and let them cool. Take them out and peel and seed them. Chop them up and put them into whatever you want. I like them on cheese burgers. Tonight I put them into a brandy cream sauce I made with my steak and also put them in my baked potato. It was pretty good.

>each one always claims you can only find it in their state

Seriously? They're from NM, fucking dinguses will argue about anything. And you can find them literally everywhere, especially this time of year. I used to grow them here in Florida, but I gave up their space in the garden to grow Romanian and Polish heirloom peppers that I dry and use for paprika. If I need hatches I just buy them, they're cheap as dirt.

grew up in new mexico. hatch chile is from hatch, nm like another user mentioned. there are different kinds of green chile though, like big jim and sandia hot, which do taste different and differ in how hot they are. the anaheim pepper is also a descendant of the new mexican green chile when some dude brought it to california in the late 1800s.

anyway here's some good green chile dishes:

huevos rancheros (over easy eggs on top of two fried corn tortillas with refried pinto beans on the side, all smothered in green chile)

green chile chicken enchiladas (mix shredded chicken with onions, green chile, and cream of mushroom soup, then bake in layers of corn tortillas with lots of cheese on each layer)

green chile stew (potatoes, beef, and green chile you literally just sautee then add water and salt and let simmer for a while)

green chile sauce [to put on burritos] (ground beef, green chile, potatoes, garlic, and onions with corn starch to thicken)

Made some pork chili Verde last week. Making enchiladas with some right now, in fact.

>huevos rancheros
>all smothered in green chile

Like, you make it into a sauce, or just dice it up/saute it? Green chile smothered huevos rancheros sounds amazing, and I think I need to have this some time in the next few days.

smother it with the green chile sauce i listed at the end. and don't forget copious amounts of colby jack cheese on top and lots of flour tortillas to scoop up the delicious combo of green chile and egg yolk.

Is using them to flavor refried beans a thing? I was planning on making a batch with a serrano and a jalapeno, but if I can get hatch chiles I might as well try using those.

yeah but it's better if you combine the green chile sauce in the refried beans after, or do a bean burrito smothered with green chile.

New Mexico is best Mexico.

OP reporting back in.

Someone should have told me how much they shrink when you roast them. I started sauteing some onion and garlic to make a sauce while I was roasting a few of them and by the time they were ready there was so little that it was overpowered by the other ingredients. Ended up throwing a serrano in towards the end, which definitely helped it out., but the green chile flavor was kind of in the background.

Gonna go pick up a shit ton more later today now that I now you need a shit ton to make it worthwhile.

Colorado user here. Hatch chiles are from Hatch, New Mexico. We also have good green chiles, but they are not Hatch chilis.

Yes you guys do grow good chiles in southern Colorado but still most of the ones sold there come from hatch or mexico.

oh god i miss that one.

that chile sauce on the montymelt is the fuckin bomb