I've got a 9.5 oz cut of new york strip steak that's super thick. I don't have a working oven...

I've got a 9.5 oz cut of new york strip steak that's super thick. I don't have a working oven. Can I still just pan fry it all the way? like 6-7 minutes per side? Will I just burn it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AmC9SmCBUj4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_steak
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nope pan fry it, i do it all the time with thick cuts

turn it into jerky

That's how I do it in the winter when I'm too lazy to go out in the cold and use my grill. Rub the bottom of the pan with oil and throw that guy on there. I go 4:44 each side for a nice rare / medium rare steak.

actually, you should probably rub the meat down with oil, rather than oiling the pan

Grill it over a charcoal fire like a real fucking man.

This

yeah, i have made entire pound stakes but it takes a long time

Salt both sides, and then roast after a day.

Is this even hard?

youtube.com/watch?v=AmC9SmCBUj4

Obey the Gordon

why does he put cooked food on the same cutting bored he just had raw food on

Yes, you can definitely cook it a pan but it's crucial that you rest it (covered or wrapped) otherwise it will be tough to chew.

We call it porterhouse here and I cook it at least three times a week. Sear one side for few minutes, flip and cook it for a few minutes longer. Check how firm it is by pressing down with tongs and when its firm enough I'll hold it on its edge fat, side down, to sear that fat edge for about half a minute then put on plate and cover with the warm lid of the pot that I used to cook the veggies. Let rest for anywhere between five and ten minutes while I deglaze the pan with the veggies and do other things.
Perfect juicy tender steak every time.

tldr
>sear
>flip and sear
>rest

toss it in the microwave bro

>Can I still just pan fry it
Wot of course. Do you normally bake your steak? That's retarded.

i doubt somebody with 15(?) Michelin stars would fuck up something that obvious. theres a lot of cuts in these videos, youre not really getting the whole story.

>veggies
what veggies you use?

A simple combination of Orange, Green, and White.

Orange:
>carrots, pumkin, etc
Green:
>spinach, silverbeet, kale, green beans, etc
White:
>potatoes, rice (yes rice is a vegetable in my world), etc
Plus occasional capsicums (bell peppers) , sweet peppers, or whatever.

Deglazing the pan with the non-white veggies lets those veggies soak up lots of flavour from the meat that was left in the pan. I sometimes add a splash of vinegar but you could add red wine too. Vinegar is great with spinach and carrots. Ginger too.

Interesting, why?

Where is the money shot? I want to see the pink.

You should never be cooking your steaks in the oven, that's dumb. If it's really thick the worst that happens is you end up with a rare steak, which shouldn't be a problem at all. Just cook it on the stove, and sear the fuck out of it until the outside looks like what you want, and it'll be fine.

Not only CAN you pan fry it, it's exactly what you're supposed to do.

Also, don't go by time. Go by (good) feel or (best) thermometer.

That's not a porterhouse. A porterhouse is a thick cut t-bone.

That's basically half a porterhouse that OP has. It's missing the filet.

Pleb tier. Always oil the meat son

What do I oil the meat with? I recently found out that vegetable oil sucks so I switched to butter. Any better alternatives?

peanut oil

No. In Australia we call it a porterhouse. What Americans call a porterhouse is what we call a T-bone.
We don't call anything a 'new york strip'.

because it is simply called strip steak...New york strip is just an american slang word for strip steak

NOW YOU LISTEN TO ME ON THIS:

My Poor user's Sous Vide Steak

1. Set your steaks on a plate and let them sit at room temp for about 45 minutes. Maybe longer if they're thick-thick. Goal: get them warm before cooking. Makes meat more tender to get to room temp before cooking.
1. Get a largish cooler, even a cheap styrofoam cooler will do (that's what i use). If styrofoam, line it with a garbage bag. Place it in the garage, or bathtub, just in case it leaks and you can dispose of the water you're about to put in it more easily.
2. Heat up a giant pot of water, maybe two if the cooler can accommodate it. Get the temp a few degrees above where you want the doneness of the steak at, NO MORE.
3. Salt the steaks only at this point, no other seasoning. Put them in separate water tight plastic bag. Cheapo ziplock will do.
4. Pour your hot water into the cooler. Throw the steaks in there with them. Close the top and make sure the seal is good. You'll lose a few degrees of temperature, but it will maintain temp for a good long while.
5. Wait about 1 to maybe 2 hours max. Personally with your thickness I'd do 90 minutes.
6. Remove steaks from cooler and the bags. They're going to look terrible and anemic at this point, but we're not done yet.
7. Oil the steaks generously with your fav cooking oil. Season steak to your liking. I might add a little more salt and then the pepper. Personally I don't' like to get fancy with seasoning.
8. Get your skillet, preferably iron, searing hot on the stove. As hot as you can get it.
9. Add a generous couple tablespoons+ of butter as you add the steak. Sear each side, including the fat cap and smaller sides about 45seconds to 1 minute give or take, not much more though. I'd start with the smaller sides first. As you're searing the flat sides, take a spoon and constantly baste the top of the steak with the butter. The maillard effect of the slightly burned butter and pepper will add a lot of flavor.
10. Enjoy the best goddamned steak ever.

The end result, and the purpose of using sous vide, is to perfectly dial the internal doneness of the steak while allowing you to finish it off with the smallest crust possible.

It's amazingly good. I can't eat steak in steakhouses because I make it 100% better myself.

>smallest crust possible
>he hates the crust

kys

No, man, you got it wrong. Fucking love the crust. The crust is incredible and there's more then enough. The exterior is well done, if you will, but it takes up the smallest possible size of the total steak. I love a good crust and very rare interior, myself.

NICE AND HOT

PAN

it is when you don't have a working oven.......

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_steak
>In New Zealand and Australia, it is known as a porterhouse steak

We call a t-bone a t-bone here. We call the part of the T-bone that doesn't include the bone and tenderloin the strip steak. We call giant t-bone steaks porterhouse steak. The t-bone needs to be like 32oz, or something like that and above.

This explains better than i do
>T-Bone steaks and Porterhouse steaks are the same. The Porterhouse is just a larger version of the T-Bone because it is carved from the larger portion of the tenderloin. A Porterhouse is the "King of the T-Bones".

>prep for a fucking day and a half to finally have my steak

WHY DO PEOPLE INSIST ON THIS MEME

The real question is why do people bump dead threads from page 10 with nothing of value to add?

None of this matters. I was just adding a little fun-fact to my original post where I was letting OP know that he can definitely pan fry a thick steak because I do it all the time.
Call it whatever you want. I don't care.

Lol i said the same thing. i was just doing the same thing you were and explaining the different names for our different cuts of meat. The first post in this thread is mine lol