I would ask for cooking ideas but this board is 95% shitposting and 5% ideas

I've tried making this rice stovetop multiple times but it's always mush. If anyone can get rice cooker results on the stovetop, I would be happy to hear how but if you've never actually done it, I don't want to hear your retarded theories. I've heard: hurr, use less water a million times.

I'm expecting to get no good answers so instead, give me rice cooker reviews if you actually own one. What I would look for is the following, 2-4 cup dry size, inside pot isn't teflon, I've seen SS and clay ones but not in the small sizes.

finally, something i can fuckin answer

bla bla, not a rice cooker review. i only just recently got one, its nice but eh.

ok, rice on the stovetop....
my korean roomate does it all the time. he makes the shittiest mushiest rice ive ever seen. hes a fucking terrible cook.
im white as snow. have gotten a fair amount of compliments on my rice.

first off, if youre using that kind, a single rinse wont hurt. if you dont want to rinse, then pour the amount you want into your pot. top with water. fill with enough water that if you touch your finger to the top of the rice, in the water, its no higher than the first line of your index finger.

bring to a boil. allow to boil for just under a minute. i perosnally roll 30-40 seocnds.
drop to a simmer. a simmer. not a fuckign rolling boil. a gentle. fucking. SIMMER.
a fuckign simmer.
simmer. wierd word.
simmer.

after youve droppe dit to a simmer, put a lid on it, and either tilt it or some shit, just to allow pressure to release, but contain the steam. if it boils over, fucking whatever, youll wash your pot anyway.

let it simmer until the water line dissappears under the rice. it doesnt really fucking matter, but at some point once it goes past the top of the rice, take the lid off and continue to let it simmer.

let it do this until its done.
bam. you have fucking rice.

i suggest taking it off the heat when its done, and letting it sit with a lid on it, just so it doesnt dry out.

after that, unclump it and youre good to go.
i suggest unclumping before you put the lid on and allowing it to sit.

-
rice cooker review
i got one. pretty expensive. heard to never go black and decker for rice cookers. took the advice of going to an asian store and bought on there.

things to look for
-make sure it keeps the rice warm.

i make a pot of rice around lunch, yummy. i get back to it around dinner, nasty. cold rice sucks.
whats nice is being able to just scoop it out and throw it in a pan.

Does that method get you rice cooker results? A better way to phrase it is do you know how that rice is supposed to taste and do you get that result. The method itself is the exact same as the default instructions with the exception of simmering with the lid off. Are you saying simmering with the lid off is the missing step for stovetop?

tl;dr
I've owned or lived with (i.e. parent or rooomate owned) at least 10 rice cookers and the memes are true: zojirushi is good shit. there are cheaper ones, and there are other brands, that are also good, but if this is something you're going to use, just buy something good, they're cheap

I currently have an NS-LAC05 for the last maybe 8 years and I use it every day, it's pretty fantastic. I think I paid like $110 for it

like everyone who eats rice every day, I have made it on the stovetop and while it's not all that hard, it's also kind of pointless, like making toast by slicing the bread with a knife and then flipping it on top of a gas burner with a fork. yeah, it's possible. no, you're not a culinary super genius for doing it.

just buy a zoji

if you are using an electric stove top, try boiling on one burnner and simer on another, sometimes there is too much heat left in the coil when you turn it down to low.

could be. my roommate would boil with the lid until the water was dry, or boil without the lid. always came out shitty. either way, the simmer is important imo. i say dont risk it.

its not AS good as the rice cooker. the grain has a tendency to puff a little more on the stovetop.

i say try it. ive used the same technique for about 2 years now and have had consistent results. the rice cooker preserves the stickiness a little more. have made decent sushi rolls form both.

attached isnt asian, nor the same type of rice, but an example of the rice, texture and results. toasted prior to boiling.

i just finished eating dinner, but prior, i figured a visual representation of the process would be good.

|1----|2--------------|3---------------|4---|
1 - bring to boil, allow to boil for roughly 30 seconds to a minute
2 - lower to simmer, place lid
3 - remove lid, continue simmer
4 - remove from heat, place lid

i doubt this is it. the difference would be subtle. a boil is still a boil.

y u no have rice cooker? buy a cheap one. ive seen small ones for $12-20. why make cooking so hard?

pic related: its one of mine.

nvm, misread your post

Long grain/jasmine/basmati: 1 cup dry rice to 1.5 cups water, simmer on low heat, or on a 3 if you have a numeric setting that goes up to 8. Keep it covered, don't fluff the rice until you tilt the pot and see no water on the sides. If you wash your dry rice until the water runs clear, it will be fluffier. Typically about 35-45 mins.

If you are using brown or red rice, same process with 1 2/3 cups water to 1 cup dry rice. Washing gives improved results, but you will have to simmer longer than white rice.

Black rice is 1 cup dry to 1 3/4 cups water, washing has no results since the thick hull is still present. It usually takes about an hour on my stove.

Stovetop method, by the way.

>there are people who don't know how to make rice with a pot and a lid

>tfw your buddy says his unitasker monster popcorn machine is better than a fucking pot and lid to make popcorn
fuck he knows how to piss me off.

Dude seriously.
Also fuck Kitchen aid: I like to make my pastry by hand.

>There are people who can't read.
I said this specific rice. Stuff like basmati and jasmine comes out fine with a pot. This specific rice is always mush. I specifically said STFU unless you've gotten the results with this rice.

Wash your rice, retard.

This is my brand. I always eyeball it, but isn't it like 1 cup rice to two cups water?

Medium heat until boiling, put on the (clear) lid and set it to low. Then after 20 minutes or so, turn off the heat and let the steam work for maybe 10 minutes.

Works 99% of the time, every time.

Rinse your rice 5 to 7 times until the water runs clear. Add 2 parts water per 1 part rice. Bring to a boil, immediately reduce to the lowest possible simmer, and put a small towel over the pot, and then add a lid. Cook 18 minutes, take off the hot burner, let sit for another 10. Take off the lid. You should be alright.

You will never get better results than a rice cooker.
The nips literally engineered perfection.

But if you're a poorfag, the basic idea for a plain pot and lid for cooking rice is this:
It needs to be thick as fuck. Like 1/8". This is for heat transfer. Better rice is made when each grain is heated evenly. Aluminum transfers heat best. (actually the best would be copper plated with aluminum, but you can't find that anywhere)

When actually steaming rice, the amount of water you can add is flexible. It's not fucking baking, there's no real chemistry involved.

Once the water is almost boiled away, (it drops below the level of rice) you put the lid back on and lower the heat to simmer for like 10 minutes if this is 2-3 cups of rice.

If you want EXTRA FLUFFY RICE, then add some mirin or rice vinegar. Actual sake works too, but that's kind of a waste since it doesn't really impart any flavor. This will even improve rice made in a rice cooker. Don't ask me how it works, because I haven't been able to find anything on the topic.

>5-7 times
Jesus how much of a weakass are you? It runs clear in the second rinsing even if you're just swishing it around.

It's commonly known on Veeky Forums that that brand and similar brands are targeted at asians who can't into the western grains since those apparently are too dry for them.

>hard
I used a rice cooker for 3 years, decided it took up too much counter space and used a pot for 2 years now. Not that much more difficult.

my rice cooker didnt have a learning curve.
how about you?

>kokuho rice
Knockoff Kokuho Rose? Could be shit rice breh, I got cheap rice at the Korean market once and it always cooked up wet.

Just fucking buy a rice cooker you tard. There is no reason to waste time cooking it in the pot when you could just hit a button and get great rice every time.

If heat transfer is the issue, I have to ask even more questions even if I want to get a rice cooker. That's because I would want to get one with a stainless steel inner pot. The standard ones I've looked at are mostly teflon coated aluminum. Will the SS produce noticeably worse rice?

Do not disrespect me. I'll come to your house and beat you up. Also, learn to read. I can get great rice every time in the pot for varieties like basmati and jasmine. It's that specific variety that doesn't work well in a pot.

Why dont you try googling a recipe.

Maybe "how to cook rice on stovetop".

Idiot.

Something else I wanted to ask. Does anyone have one of those pressure cookers that also do rice? If so, how are the rice results in those?

Are you a weab, do you have anime figurines and stuff? I'm not making fun, I'm just curious.

Another idiot who can't read. What's your address?

I own a cheap rice cooker, well not exactly cheap but it's what most people use here, no sophisticated feature or whatever.
I rinse my rice twice, put water in, poke a few holes in the rice.
Cooks just fine. Cooked it on morning and stays good until the evening. If I got leftovers, I unplug the cooker and fry the cold rice.
I'm a SEAnigger so I do this everyday.

If using stove, my mom cooks with this special (pan?) with two levels, the lower where you put water in there and the upper where you put wet rice. Some sort of cooking with steam.

If for some reason I can't cook rice with my electric rice cooker (electric blackout), I just buy rice outside.

Here's an address for you:

Fuck off.

yea, but you still cant cook a pot of rice. a cooker is cool, but you havent learned anything.

Learned this from my korean teacher and it's never failed me since!

1. For japanese short grain rice like that, i always start by washing for a good few minutes first. (This gives it that nice polished look in the end)
2. Add rice and water to the ratio of 1,5 times more water than rice.
3. Put your lid on (and keep it on) and bring the water to a boil as fast as possible (Induction is great for this) Listen for the water to boil.
4. As soon as it boils pull it aside so it stops boiling and put it on a as low a heat setting you can while still maintaining a small simmer. Simmer for 12-15 minutes (watch out so it doesn't dry out)
5. Put the pot aside and let it chill out (Without removing the lid)
6.Remove the lid, and let it steam for a sec

>Served

The other recipes looked nice too, but i think boiling good rice is a matter of experience. Just keep a good watch on temperature control, it may be the most important thing. The lid and good rinse is also important in my opinion.

This nigga is shook.

1 to 1.5 is even more water. That sounds like it would be more likely to mush.

>cant cook a pot of rice

haha yeah I cant cook rice, its soo difficult I have to ask questions on a gay shoeshine forum. I'm not a poor baka. I have a rice cooker like most people who eat rice regularly.
jelly little bakatardo

Jesus you sound like a cunt

Use less water. I prefer one and three fourths cup of water per cup of rice, but I know people who do even less.

Make sure to fluff. Letting it sit helps.

Also be sure your heat settings and times aren't fucked.

I just use a rice cooker now though because I'm lazy and the pot is easy to clean