Is this really a typical French meal? Seems very unhealthy

Is this really a typical French meal? Seems very unhealthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DUrE_J4OTyw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hmm...

The french love their oil, butter, creams, and cheeses

c h e e s y

As long as I can remember, there are a set of "rules" we learn since we all were little kids.

Gathering info around me, I can resume them as the list below => French diet:

>The Meal template includes two servings of non-starchy vegetables, often raw (opening and concluding the main meal... Even in cafeterias)
>Every meal contains dessert, a fruit or a yogurt (except for holiday meals)
>Dishes served in courses, rather than all at once
>Almost no industrially processed foods as daily fare (including cafeteria meals and quick lunch foods)
>High rate of home food prep => this one is huge, we do not eat out that often or hardly order delivery
>You don't have to get the feeling of fullness to stop eating
>No coke or artificially sweetened beverages at meals! Water plus wine sometimes for adults
>Small plates
>Slow eating, around a table (Meals, including lunch last 1 hour even when you are working)
>The Dinner lighter than your lunch, your breakfast is not a huge feast aswell
>Strong cultural stigma against combining starches in same meal (like pasta and potatoes, or rice and bread)
>The fresh products are in season
>Eating is very social, almost every family eat alltogether around a table
>Low meat consumption
>Guilt-free acknowledgement that fat=flavor
>We eat in small portions
>We have a high social stigma for taking seconds, except holiday meals
>The variety of food is large (even school cafeteria meals include weird stuff)
>No food exclusions, everything can be enjoyed... but in moderation!
>General understanding that excess = bad news.
>Taking a walk after a meal with your family is very common (we call it "promenade digestive" literally "digestive stroll")

What do you think ? Are those set of rules strange for you ? Do you have additional rules in your country which are kind of common rules ?

Yes, we love cheese. No need to make this thread in response to my American obsessed euro brethren.

Traditional french food as a general rule is extremely unhealthy, yes.

OBSESSED

this sounds fucking miserable and akward

I really like it. The French do many things right

Can a French recommend me a good French cookbook?

Yeah. Except nowadays most don't even do a quarter of those things anymore.

can I be french, user

are you guys full

This is the easiest way to explain unloading in a girl you love without being lewd

It's because French cheese is actually decent, likeable food worthy of trust, unlike the """"""""""""cheese"""""""""" you eat in the US, which is straight plastic cancer

ah, the aligot, it's not even a popular dish because the right cheese to make, la ''tome fraiche'' it is pretty hard to find if you"re outside the production region.
And even tho, it's supposed to be a very fancy/party/special dish, you are lucky if you eat it more than twice a year.

t. Bougnat

lewd

For a moment there I thought it was a fondue gone wrong.

obsessed

Americans don't know about everyday French cooking. They only know about restaurant food and special dishes that take hours to make.

Anyone on Veeky Forums wanna meet up for a digestive stroll? Let's make our respective countries more like France.

>Joi divre......

Sounds more like an idealistic representation rather than an accurate one. French people nowadays probably eat more or less like any other cosomopolitan citizen; I really don't see most families being able to devote that much time to food preparation without cutting corners somewhere.

Clermont Ferrand ?

Had it with sausage in Aveyron when I was on vacation there. Was good, pretty heavy but you gotta get seconds.

Agree, I don't know a single family that adheres to all these rules (many of which I didn't know tbf)

Aligot is from the plateau of Aubrac, which is in the middle of tree differents regions, clermont ferrand happens to be the biggest city of one of those regions but some purist would says that aligot is not really a typical clermontois dish, but it's really easy to eat aligot or buy some tome fraiche there.

>eating food with other people
>being social
>having family

overall this is the case, except the whole "eating small portions", "no seconds" or "being hungry at the end of the meal".
That list might come from a girl who want to stay slim. familly meals always go until people aren't hungry. And the cook always like to see people asking for seconds.

I'm not French, but Auguste Escoffier's Le Guide Culinaire is generally considered "the bible."

In general from my travels to France I have noticed that while yes they do have quite a lot of unhealthy dishes, they eat about half as much of it as a typical American would. Just watch those jaques pepin videos on youtube. He'll roast a chicken for 4 but Americans easily eat half a broiler chicken by themselves. They also would walk 4 miles to buy a fig

A lot of why the french are healthy is really just portion control

Looks like a fondue gone right to me.

>That list might come from a girl who want to stay slim. familly meals always go until people aren't hungry. And the cook always like to see people asking for seconds.
If it's a family gathering yeah, it counts as a special occasion.

But for a normal family dinner (think a household), you don't want your kids to wolf down a massive second serving if you made a heavy dish. Or it will be just 1/4 of the original serving or something like that.

Also, you should check what Americans count as a "serving", it's massive.

>French people nowadays probably eat more or less like any other cosomopolitan citizen
It's a bit true but we're still holding pretty well. Our practices have been influenced by the rest of the world, but clearly, we're nowhere near what the Britbongs or Americlaps do for food.
> mfw Americlaps give brands name for recipes ingredients instead of actual names of foodstuff

One last thing which is not necessary obvious is that we're pretty light on sugar compared to other cuisines. It makes up for the unnatural amount of butter/oil and other fats (fucking cheese).

Sure

where do you live?

Everyday French cooking is fucking wonderful.

I had a French girl living with me for a month. Every meal felt light, was made with fresh ingredients, was just big enough to satisfy, and was delicious.

Her cooking was far and away the best part of that month.

>I had a French girl living with me for a month.
Why?

Was she cute?

Well, it had to make up for her probably horrible shit temper.

Good for you user anyway.

>Why?
Long story.

>Was she cute?
She was. Current girlfriend's cuter, but the French girl wasn't half bad.

>Well, it had to make up for her probably horrible shit temper.
It wasn't enough to make up for it, because she was a MASSIVE bitch. But at least the food was good.

>It wasn't enough to make up for it, because she was a MASSIVE bitch. But at least the food was good.
Did you learn some recipe on the way ?

Unfortunately, no. The ones I most wanted--her deceptively simple ways to prepare potatoes and omelettes--have been impossible for me to replicate so far.

I suppose I could make a croque monsieur easily enough, or the bolognese with pineapples that she did that one time.

And of course, when I tried to reciprocate I burned the fuck out of my dish.

How long/far is the digestive stroll usually? Do you buy desserts and drinks on the way?

Reminds me of when I'd do cardio after eating a protein-rich breakfast. Nothing like having to rush home to unleash hell on my toilet.

>promenade digestive
Damn I've always done this with the family but I didn't know there was an actual reason behind it, even though the words "promenade digestive" aren't foreign to me
Well good to know

>do you buy desserts and drinks on the way
Dude wtf no
You eat your entrée, plat, dessert, salade, everyone has a small cup of coffee then you go out for a good hour I'd say

>You eat your entrée, plat, dessert, salade, everyone has a small cup of coffee then you go out for a good hour I'd say

Sounds good. I'm thinking of doing that since I'm now in good shape and maintaining.

>burned the fuck out of my dish.
Worry not, the bolognese with pineapples were probably not intentional either. What a weird ass recipe, not sure if I even want to try.

>How long/far is the digestive stroll usually? Do you buy desserts and drinks on the way?
It's a family stroll after a big ass family gathering meal for lunch, people don't do that for every day dinner.
Basically, that's how it works out : the whole family strolls around to the nearby park/forest/piece of nature for one hour, adults speak to each other, children play and run around, teenagers grumble in their corner while day dream about what it would be like to fuck their hot cousin.
No drinks or desserts along the way (you're already disgustingly full at this point).
Eventually, a couple of family members stay at home to clean the dishes. They are oftentimes the parents of the shittiest kids so they get some relief to be by themselves while the kids bother the rest of the family for one hour.

Then, once you come back, last cup of coffee and off you go back home. In my family, we just started to cook the dinner at this point.

Keep in mind that's only for big meals with the family on sundays, not that you can't takea stroll after your normal meals

>Worry not, the bolognese with pineapples were probably not intentional either.
Nah, it was. She was a gamer geek and was basing it on something in a game she loved.

>What a weird ass recipe, not sure if I even want to try.
I'm a fan of acidic foods, so for me it was strange, but tasty. Probably not for everyone, though.

>But for a normal family dinner (think a household), you don't want your kids to wolf down a massive second serving if you made a heavy dish
non.
I'm french and there's no culture of frugality there. people eat until they aren't hungry anymore. Because snacking is the bad habits you don't want your kids to have.

I'm French too, and every family dinner I've done, there was always some kind of portion control. We can dig a few times more coz it's tasty, but it's not the "I stop to eat because my belly aches" you can find you'll in some countries abroad.

There is a difference between "not being hungry" and "being full". We French stop at the first line, and many many foreign cultures cross it to stop at the second line, be aware of that.

What you do in your family may not seem frugal to you, but go overseas for a while to compare and you'll see the difference.

The good old sunday lunch starting with an apéro at around 11, ending at 3/4pm with a cup of coffee and a walk before you come back for another apéro... I kinda miss that now that I'm living with my GF, she doesn't have the french lifestyle.

>every family dinner
Just to be clear, I meant the every day dinner there not the extended family gathering, arright.

For special lunch/dinners, we eat like fat fucks, we could make 20 pounds of foie gras out the nephew at the end of the meal by barely trying.

>tfw not French

lol, that's pretty gay. For me, it is messily devouring two or three mcChickens while hurtling down the freeway. The best way to eat.

Le Guide Culinaire is the bible for chefs, not home cooks.

If you are a home cook and want to use it, that is fine but do realise that this book is for mass cooking and that a lot of the language is out-dated and that a lot of the recipes done in the book are the french classic, however do have exotic ingredient requirements (that can be substituted) or did require 'minions' to do the preparation for (some recipes are laborious)

>tfw not French

maybe I should join the french foreign legion

>We have a high social stigma for taking seconds
All my family in southern France acts like stereotypical Italian grandmothers when it comes to taking seconds. They'll get offended if you don't, unless you explain how you love it, you just couldn't possibly eat more. Also never noticed the "combining starches" thing. We always had some kind of rice salad or pasta dish along with the ever-present bread.

>mfw when he starts the book by saying he reduced the portions compared to previous books (mostly for banquet)
>the sauce recipes are for 10 liters most of the time

What the fuck Auguste.

le repertoire de la cuisine is the version of it for professional chefs.

Thank you for your condescending analysis of a "home" cook. I feel like I should only be eating cake, you arrogant fagfuck. Why don't you realize your pretentious bullshit stylism has nothing on provincial French cooking, unless you're a pretentious faggot serving clueless hipsters?

Maybe in the 30s lol.
It was replaced by Paul Bocuse - La cuisine du marché when it came out. It is still the bible in most French homes.

I do that with my friends all the time! Once we even had a pre digestive stroll, and recorded it on video: youtube.com/watch?v=DUrE_J4OTyw

My mother has always used "Les recettes faciles" by Françoise Bernard.
Lots of traditional and simple dishes.

Neat. I hadn't heard of him, I'm having a bit of trouble finding that text in English translation, but there are several of his other books available, can any of our French bros recommend a title for the home cook?

Thanks for the contribution, hadn't heard of her either. Ordering these books presently.

Is it in American? I just see it's written in frog, I'm seriously interested if I find an American language copy.

"The Complete Bocuse" & "La Cusine..." by Bernard. Thanks Veeky Forums for not sucking in a troll thread.

Kek that whole digestive stroll description is extremely accurate.
Also, my family usually spends the end of the meal drinking strong digestive liquors, before the coffee.

For Bocuse, see , that's the best I could find on Amazon ~35US

Is everyone in France this autistic?

I suspect a lot of western European countries take the promenade digestive. I'm Portuguese and we always go for a stroll after big family meals. A lot of the other 'guidelines' are followed as well, except that we generally eat more than French people.

Only rural and south france.

The English translation is called The New Cuisine. I would recommend to be a bit careful with Bocuse's books because some of them are filled with 3 star-recipes and I doubt none of us have for example 500gs of truffels to stuck inside a bird. So they might not be so useful. For example the Complete Bocuse (as I assume that it's the translation of Toute la cuisine de Paul Bocuse) has a lot of these kinds of recipes. Go for the La cuisine du marché if you can find it.

Saturated fat isn't unhealthy.
That's why the 'French paradox' isn't a paradox.

>I suspect a lot of western European countries take the promenade digestive.
Germanon here, we also sometimes do a "Verdauungsspaziergang" after a nice, big family meal on a weekend. And then afterwards, its coffee and cake.

Post Dinner Walk is ironically one of France High Culture Exports.

Isn't it a huge amount of trouble to prepare meals with such diversity?

>french cuisine
>healthy
pick one

....I see what your trying to do, but....

no

Top fucking kek man

I really don't know why he insist so much on that one, it doesn't exist, that's his familly tradition at best.

>if you don't eat sketti and pizza in front of the TV every day you are autistic!

That poor girl

>walking after a meal
pourqoui

I guess we misunderstood each other, probs my fault, I was somewhat drunk/tired when I was posting last time.

I actually thought about two different types of meals : "normal daily meals" shared within your household, and "family gathering meals" which is the larger kind, involving everyone from cousins to grandmas.
I feel that the daily normal meals, we tend to have more portion control that what you can find in other countries. This went out of the window when I left my parents and started to cook for myself, as you might expect.
While for family gatherings, we feed ourselves like pigs, seconds are pretty much expected and the person who cook are pretty pleased by it.

Or maybe in your Southern family, you just have the family gathering version every day, and are a very lucky user.

Frenchfag here. Stop with this pretentious idealized bullshit. Though I would contend that we do have a better food culture on average than most other countries, we love pizza and McDonald's just like the rest of the planet

Irishanon, normal custom for us in my family was after the big Sunday dinner with my grandparents to go for a walk, then grand ads Parkinson's got worse and it changed to sitting around and chatting for a few hours, the dinner itself was 1 course of meat, vegetables, carbohydrates (usually potatoes) followed by jelly and I've cream for dessert. Even this has gone out of fashion in urban Ireland however and it's rare for urbanites to sit down to a family meal anymore barring holidays.

If Anything my time in Spain has only reinforced my belief this family meal, once a week is incredibly important. Though granted after my parents separation it'd be every two weeks as I go one week to my father and one week to my mother

You mean buying things that are in season and cooking them? Yes I suppose if the other alternative is eating McDonalds, but people in Europe like to eat things that have a taste and actually enjoy cooking.

Maybe interesting to outsiders:
French don't eat anything spicy, as in chillies. The closest thing is piment d'espelette which is like a strong bell pepper. So that sucks.

Tarteflute is fucking great

no dessert for holiday meals? why is that?

Usually, there is actually some kind of dessert, generally served with the coffee, followed by strong liquors (for digestion purpose).

But if done well, the "holiday meal" is just so fucking humungous that you're too full for anything beyond the entree and main meal, and of course, the plate of cheese that comes afterward.
So some family will just prepare some ice cream, cake or biscuit instead of a full-fledged dessert, to go with the coffee.

For instance, I had a Christmas dinner that went like that :
- aperitive with all kind of toasts and stuff,
- 1st entrée with different sea food (oysters, crabs and some shellfishes),
- 2nd entrée with foie gras, jams and toasted sweet bread
- 1st main dish of poultry
- in my region, we do something which mixes strong apple alcohol and apple sorbet to ease what comes next,
- eventually, 2nd mail dish of red meat,
- cheeses (a lot),
- ice cream cakes and fruit cakes with coffee.
All generously served with different wines.
3 years ago, I was already full at the end of 2nd entrée and I just pitifully nitpicked what came next. Feels bad man.

Autism.

>live in murica
>eat whatever the fuck I want, whenever.

Ah, so this is why we call ourselves free.

You're telling me a double bacon cheeseburger dipped in in ranch and drowned in cheese inst tasty gtfo you heathen American food is delicious.

why?

Nobody fucking knows.

Even sriracha is not doing so well around here. The spiciest stuff you may find is the pepper oil one puts on pizza.

That's the greatest let down of modern French cuisine desu

WHAT THE FUCK IS SPICY PIZZA OIL

>That's the greatest let down of modern French cuisine desu
Wrong
It's being pretentious autistic arseholes

What gives with the tartan?

Is this some sort of Auld Alliance thing?

>It's being pretentious autistic arseholes
French have been like that since the beginning of time. At least, we're consistent.

I don't speak bongistani very well, eat shit.