Aldi

Moved to a new place and saw that one of these was nearby.

I've never been to one, does Veeky Forums shop here?

Other urls found in this thread:

uk.reuters.com/article/uk-tesco-strategy-suppliers-idUKKBN13U0LX
telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/11/15/tesco-enjoys-fastest-growth-in-three-years-as-aldi-and-lidl-slow/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes! cheapest grocery store around me, always has the basics that i buy plus a bunch of other stuff, and they have a nice rotating stock on non-food stuffs every week. definitely recommend aldis

I can't wait for the 'aldi/lidl is good' meme to end.

Most of my shopping is done at Tesco, and it's absolutely fine.

Aldi is good. They own trader joes. They are going all organic soon. Good food for the price. Only thing I am not a fan of is their produce and the way they force you out once oyu purchase with cart

Depends on which country it's "nearby". Quality varies.

>Shops at Tesco
>Thinks his opinion is valid

Okay.

Depends what country, In aus all of the fresh produce tends to go off very quickly and it isn't that good.

What's wrong with Tesco?
At least where I am, Aldi and Lidl's fresh produce is nowhere near as good as people like to make it out to be.

>What's wrong with Tesco?

It's shit tier. Their stores all have terrible layout, their own-brand products are literal garbage, and they don't pay their fucking tax.

I've never been in a supermarket and had the store's layout bother me.

Their own brand stuff is comparable to other supermarkets. Each of them have their strengths and weaknesses.

I don't care how much tax they pay. Can't blame them for finding loopholes. I spend shit loads of money at Starbucks and amazon too.

They have excellent chocolate.

This is another terrible maymay

Really depends on the location. Some of them are awful but the one near me is great. Eggs, milk, spices, and non-perishables are the cheapest in town, and good quality. I'd stay away from the meat though.

Tesco's "fresh" chicken tastes like it's been frozen and thawed three times over, never again.

I'd only shop there if I had no other choice.

Everything tastes disgusting for some reason, at least in UK. Lidl is much better than Aldi but only for basics.

ive been there before, got a really delicious frozen pizza for $5

All the Aldis around me are always totally full of foreigners that don't really speak any English and buy two carts' worth of food at a time

Most of their premade processed shit tastes a lot worse than the name brand equivalents (although that's to be expected for what you're paying) but you can't beat them for the basic stuff like milk and canned vegetables

really cheap food for poor people so yeah it's ok.

If you're buying stuff like milk, canned tomatoes and other stuff its fairly decent, heck I even bought some beef mince from there a few days ago and it was pretty decent. Their fruit and veg is pretty good too.

Pretty great place if you're a student who likes to cook imo.

Aldi isn't good, it's cheap.

Which means it'll be popular for the foreseeable future.

best fucking candy, fish for cheap, chicken for cheap. go there OP. They have almonds that are way better than blue mountain or whatever and for 1/3 the price

Pretty good for speciality foods and bargains, though my local tesco has the best international food section for miles around. Used to despise tesco but I like it better now.

A logically run grocery store. You get a quarter for returning cart, and cant take one unless you insert so no need for pointlessly cart returner job.

The clerks can sit behind cash register so they are comfortable during work instead of standing around "so you look ready".

Line of their own basic products that are decent.

Sells food that is cheap as fuck without sacrificing quality.

I always go tk Aldi unless I'm looking for some specialty product.

Their "Winking Owl" wine undercuts the price of three buck chuck by 12 cents.
Take and bake pizzas for $5.
Lots of copycat brand name fakes. That's always classy. I guess.
If you're poor (and user is always poor) then go for it. You'll fit right in.

Their selection is smaller than other supermarkets. Almost everything is their brand and there is not a lot of variety, they only sell white eggs and there's only about 3 different hot pocket flavors, for example. The lack of grocery bags and bag boys makes doing large shopping a hassle. A lot of their fruits and vegetables come in prepackaged bags so if you're like me and you only want one or two apples then good fucking luck. Also, my cats refuse to eat the cat food that comes from here.

That said it's super cheap so I cant really complain. I also like their cheese selection.

>aldis
Kill yourself

Did he strike a nerve?

You mean because it's unrefridgerated.

It's for turks and poor people basically here in Austria.

> fresh produce
Lol fucking hipster

It amazes me that you burgercunts see Aldi as something special. In europe it's the place to go if you're piss-poor.

Perfectly good store if you know how to cook.

Basic ingredients are all great and some of the processed stuff isn't so bad either. Just don't expect it to be good.

I shop there about 75% groceries at Aldi and 25% at REWE/HIT

>take and bake

My nigga

Yes more for speed as much as price. One type of beans for example instead of a full aisle. I can do a full shop in 20 minutes and the bonus is it costs alot less than everywhere else. There are some things not availible so i used to go to asda for those bits but now i do with out who needs HP brown sauce when aldis is the same.

In America, poor people get food stamps, then go to Walmart and buy hot pockets, frozen pizzas and 2 liter bottles of soda. They get fat enough that they can then earn disability benefits because they're too unhealthy to work.

The thought of poor people actually going out and buying real groceries at a store is a novel concept to many of us 'murricans, which is why Aldi is so interesting to us, I guess.

This

Aldi/lidl are places you go for "those certain items that as tasty as fuarrk/cheap as fuarrrk"

But I wouldn't do a full shop there. I haven't been in a while but lidl used to have the best and cheapest frozen pizzas ever.

Aldi here in Los Angeles is decent, going to the store and seeing all the European products really makes me miss Poland

I live like 30 sec away from Aldi, preety much able to live off £20 for groceries every week.
The generic stuff like fruits and veg are good and cheap, 2 medium chicken breasts are like £1.75 and 6 pork belly slices £2.25 and when i am buying stuff like sauces whether it's curry, pasta, bbq or stuff like cheese and premade foods i just get the extra special branded ones since they're not that expensive and have never really dissapointed me unlike asda. Not to mention 1kg of rice is £0.45p, similar price to a pack of whole wheat pasta, potatoes are around or under £2. They also sell some organic stuff so i get them sometimes.
I'm currently a college student so it's nice to be so close to an Aldi. Back in home i lived close to Tesco and Asda but i have realized that Aldi is cheaper. When i do go to the Asda in my college town 30 min walk away, i get branded stuff like nandos sauce, cereals, chicken breast sausages and other stuff that i can't get from Aldi. I would've liked having a sainsburys instead of Asda as my go to branded stuff store though. And getting fresh and nice fish and seafood is a struggle.

From my experience their quality ranges from store to store. The one near where I live is extremely good, the fruit and veg is always fresh and of a much higher quality than the Tesco across the road. The meat is also excellent, and the beer selection is usually pretty interesting as well.

However I have been to others in...not so great areas and I agree with other people in this thread that it is shit. Full of scum and the food looked terrible.

As for demographic, it seems to be middle class people that shop at the one I live near. It is a brand new building complete with car park and there are always nice cars parked there.

This is excellent.

I haven't tried anything else from Aldi.

It's not something special. There's just a larger chance that an American hasn't been there, given that they're less common and America is a larger, more spread-out place.

I love Aldi. I'm poor, their stuff is quality, and overwhelmingly cheaper than the competition. It's where I get 90% of my groceries, though not very good for fresh produce.

I really love their wine, actually. Cheaper than other 3-dollar brands and much higher quality.

I remember thinking ALDI and LIDL were cheapshit growing up- how wrong I was

Aldi is ranked top in taste and freshness for just about all produce in the UK AND they're the cheapest. LIDLs are great for baked goods and nuts but overall they're only marginally above average.

Aldi is still the only supermarket I can find that has good olive oil. Every other supermarket in the UK sells dogshit

Blows my mind that more people don't shop there.

TESCO is pretty much the universally accepted worst supermarket for quality and fresh produce. The exception is that they have a lot of variety that other supermarkets don't have and you can only really get south african imports from here. They're also one of the most expensive. There's a reason they're going bankrupt- they're shit

First time I shopped there I was drunk, accidentally took pic related (it's for disabled shoppers - I thought that's just what they looked like in ALDI) and knocked a display over.

It's alright, everyone thought you were just mentally retarded

I got the ALDIs mars bar alternative. Tastes alright but it ain't no mars bar. One day I got both Titan and Mars and Mars gave me a orgasm. Titans suck.

I think there must be a fair bit of regional variation here. I haven't been in Aldi/Lidl for a few months, but I can't imagine how anyone here would say their fresh produce is comparable. I certainly don't think Tesco is the best out of all of them, but it beats the discount ones imo.

>There's a reason they're going bankrupt

Yeah, about that:

>Dec 5, 2016, No longer the bad guy, Tesco set to reassert UK dominance
uk.reuters.com/article/uk-tesco-strategy-suppliers-idUKKBN13U0LX

>Nov 15, 2016, Tesco enjoys fastest growth in three years as Aldi and Lidl slow
telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/11/15/tesco-enjoys-fastest-growth-in-three-years-as-aldi-and-lidl-slow/

Best beer of anywhere. I generally go there just for beer. Shop for the rest elsewhere.

Veg is good if you eat a lot. Goes off quickly.
Steaks are actually pretty darn good.

Just common sense, some things are good and cheap. Others are cheap and shitty

Chocolate, not candy sticks.

Love this store, wish there was one in my town. I always go there when I make it over to pennsylvania.

those german brother are among the riches in the world! why? selling crappy stuff with a margain. not considsering quality.

Hmmmm. Sounds a bit like the biggest retailer in the US, what?

Aldi is pretty crap, id rather go to an independent or coles/woolworths

Aldi is the cheapest in Australia and their products including meat, dairy and produce, are often far better than the name brand shit.

Literally the only reason I don't do every shop there is there's no self service and the lines at my local Aldi are fucking enormous.

They've got three service belts and two of them are generally closed despite there being a bunch of staff just milling about the store seemingly doing nothing.

Yank out the two that are always closed, install a bay of self service registers and get one of those lazy fucks to supervise.

you are lying.. are plain ignorant.
but, hey. sad aussie, keep living at bare minimun.

What? Your English is terrible.

It's the place if you want to eat humbly and save money. Their brands are cheaper and with that sometimes means a little lower in quality than name brands.

Example: Their canned soup version of gumbo has a huge lump of soft rice. In the Campbell's version, the nice is firm and not clumped one bit.

Aldi holds the record for being the shortest job I ever had at a staggering one hour

After a week of work trials and interviews I was offered the job, given a start date, and then only told an hour into my first shift that it was a requirement to be clean shaven, so I walked
If their management is so bad that they'll offer the job before giving you the deal-breaking provisos, it's not gonna get any better

not a disgusting neckbeard by the way, clean and well groomed but nobody will believe me

I tried it this summer, I went to Manchester (UK) for a month and there was one ten minutes walking from my house. Very basic stuff but good. I've seen way worse ie. Eurospin

exactly, where did you see worse?

Say youre Muslim

In my home country (Italy) we have "Eurospin" which is really the bottom of the barrel. It's cheap and bad. The product it's most famous for is 49 cent beer cans which tastes like aluminium.

>shaving is a deal-breaker
How fucking old are you?

>In Australia it's bad
>Just like everything else

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAJAJAJ

I said a deal-breaking proviso, user, by which I mean the matter of shaving was a deal-breaker for them

I walked because they didn't mention this detail until I'd already been given the job after a week of bullshit, which is piss-poor management
Had they mentioned it during that time I might well have agreed

fuck me. Aldi here is bottom. I once bought some tooth paste, my teeth went yellower!
milk, fruits. seems ok, tho...

I have had no experience with Aldi toothpaste - I brought my own. Produce was nice though.

Yes honestly. Lamb at $32/kg is still low tier.

Cutlets? Sounds like woolies prices, can be had for much less if you go to the right places

Coles price yeah. Clostest butchers 20 mins away but "gourmet"

i would, if it is the nearest. i just go to the nearest place.

That sux. I have a place about 10 mins away that is in an industrial area, open 7 days a week. The front entrance is to that of a cool room. It's a massive place where you can buy anything from half a cow to a lamb to a small pack of snaggas. They are way cheaper than the supermarkets.

Which city you in?

Sounds cool.

Im in perth.

Me too bro. North or south? If you're north check out The Beef Shed in Malaga. If you're south, go to the butcher at Market City in Canningvale. Both are open 7 days. Much cheaper and good quality product compared to Coles, Woolies, aldi or spud shed

South, ill check out the beef shed. Thanks for the advice, been looking for a good butcher.

Beef Shed is worth the drive up to Malaga. They have a website and if you google you can get their weekly price list emailed to you. They are Aussie butchers that type like they grew up on a farm and dropped out of school in year 8, the weekly newsletter is full of spelling mistakes. I enjoy receiving it.

I do, but it's called Hofer in Austria, which is obviously the superior name. Their vegetables and fruits are always very fresh, better than other more expensive super markets. I buy most meat at a butcher tough.

>shopping anywhere other than Costco

Overpriced. Aldi is the GOAT grocery store.

Kirkland Signature is literally the best brand you can buy.
Fucking pleb get out of my sight you stupid poorfag.
Shouldn't you be doing your grocery shopping at the foodbank?

>tfw no Aldi, Trader Joe's, or Publix in Canada
>tfw Sobeys and Loblaws are getting shittier and shittier as time goes

>requirement to be clean shaven
bullshit at least in germany

I guarantee it's not bullshit in the UK

If I wanted to lie about something I'd aim for something a bit more exciting

>cans of beans/veggies for under 50cents each
>really good goat cheese for $1.99 a log or 2.99 for a log 3x the size at times
>hummus $1.25 for a size the same as the 3.99 in local supermarket
>cereal for 1.10 for the same amount as the 3.99 at supermarket (even the supermarket storebrand is 2.99)
>milk/soymilk/almondmilk/coconut milk is cheapest
*again its a dollar-something but they dont always have everything available. Sometimes they have almond, sometimes coconut, sometimes just soy, and usually they only have 1 type like PLAIN or UNSWEETENED

i wouldnt touch their produce; dont eat meat so i dont know what thats like. Frozen berries be fine but i dont get their frozen stuff really cuz the perogies were too cheap.
if you find some of your personal food staples there, stock up, and hit aldi up everytime you run low

The stuff they have in stock on a regular basis is actually pretty good. In some minor cases though they're not even the cheapest around, which is a common misconception.

But everytime they have some limited offers for electronics, clothes, etc. it's complete garbage.

I prefer Lidl but Aldi is fine too

Why didn't you just shave your gross beard and come back? You weren't fired for it, they just said it's policy.

>gross beard
u don't know me

I've already said they didn't tell me until they'd already given me the job, which is terrible management, and I probably would have agreed if they'd actually been up front about it

but I understand you gotta be an indignant ass about it, this is Veeky Forums after all, you need to fit in

I shop at independent grocers :-)

Most of their brands I have found to be okay to good, a few were awful. I stopped eating junk a few months ago but I ate a lof of their cheetos, rice crispy treats and chocolate. It's best to get their early, before all the spics get back from dumping their kids off at school then slow the lines with their two carts full of shit as they fumble to get to their ebt card which they can never remember their pin for.

Got a nice mirror they had on sale for 8$. Not sure I would trust the tools or electronics they sell though.

They are pretty much the best thing you can get if you are a poorfag. They don't break down that fast, won't kill you and do thier job. Keep in mind that they aren't manufactured by Aldi, but by German brand companies.

Just opened an aldi in San Diego.

I got 5lb of potatoes for 50¢, tomato for 25¢, bread for a 1.30, avocados for 28¢, onions for 7¢ and dozen eggs for 59¢

Is all it's good for is produce? Didn't see much in way of deals besides these...

So besides bread, this place really offers nothing?

i love this store but the spics fucking ruin it for me. I'll get in line with an armful of stuff, like way less than 10 things and it's always only the spics with 2 carts of shit that won't offer to let me go before them.

not to mention their shitty ass kids running up and down the aisles getting in everyone's way.

Aldi is incredibly cheap for staples and basic foods. For several years when I was poor as hell I literally survived on the great deals available at this store.
Best price in USA for canned goods, eggs, nuts, dried fruit, chips, summer sausage, cheap wine, cottage cheese, milk, thick cut bacon, bread, onions, sometimes potatoes.

The fresh fruit and veg are usually acceptable but you need to keep an eye out -- often another supermarket will have better prices for fresher produce. The only meat stuff I would get there are packs of cold cuts and maybe whole chickens, never had bad experiences with them.

For specialty goods, most meat products, and better variety of produce go to a normal supermarket. It's optimal to shop at both if possible.

aldis is the dollar store of grocery stores

I don't know how Aldi is in other countries but in Burgerland, Aldi fucking sucks. Their produce quality is shit. You can find better AND cheaper produce at the Mexican supermarkets.

This.
And besides whatever ad the Mexicans print out, Walmart will price match

I would never buy produce from Aldi. The best situation I ever had was an Aldi that was fifty feet away from a Mexican supermarket, so I'd just do both.