Knife sharpening / knife general

So I bought one of these about 12 months ago and it has been really good so far..... but I have noticed it is significantly less sharper than it used to be.

Is there any good way to sharpen this knife without having to learn the art of using a sharpening stone correctly? I have seen some other sharpening tools but they all look a little sketchy.

Also knife general I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B019A1G0YO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Crock sticks

Had never heard of crock sticks before. Just checked out a vid on the Lansky ones, are they good or can you get generic ones that are just as good? I'm assuming the quality of the abrasive rods make a big difference.

Learning how to properly sharpen your own knives will benefit you in the long run. As with everything in life, doing something half-assed will generate half-assed results. A decent sharpening stone is $10.00 on Amazon, and will last a lifetime, and there are hundreds of videos on YT on how to properly use a sharpening stone.

help me find a decent one on amazon? ty
I would like a 800/1-2k duo stone but I am pants on head retarded in regard to finding one

A pull through sharpener is all you need. It's a utility knife, not a work of art.

That exact thought did come to mind, but considering I'm not a chef and pretty much never go camping anymore or do anything other than cooking that involves knives I was just interested to see if there was something that isn't half-assed but not as in depth as learning to properly use a stone.

You are right though, I guess I'm just as bad as most people when it comes to the "I want it now, but I don't want to work for it" mentality.

I bought this one a couple of months ago. It has a rough side and a smooth side. Learning to use it properly was a fairly simple process. Like I said. Youtube is your friend. amazon.com/gp/product/B019A1G0YO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Lansky ones cost fucking twelve dollars or some shit, don't be a cheap cunt.

As long as you get a pullthru with ceramic and not carbide, then yeah it's all you need.

Not here in Ausfailia, the one I saw posted was $50 + shipping...... can't say I had a good look for better prices though. I just thought that maybe they were the well known brand of them and you were paying for the label on the box rather than what was inside.

Just get a lansky kit. Stones are for hipsters.

A proper sharpening stone is the way to go. A combo stone with one side 400-600 grit and a fine side with 1000-1500 grit is perfect. As has already been said, sharpening ist not a dark art. put in an hour of practice and become the envy of every fellow cook you will ever meet. other than that I have achieved very good results with a belt sander and a cotton cloth buffing wheel, but you really have to know what you're doing, or the sander will ruin the temper of your blade.

That's not a knife, THIS is a knife!

Just picked up one of these without reading anything about them. Are they actually good?

I actually have that one. It's pretty good, mane

A ceramic rod is only going to touch it up. Just go grab the King 1k/6k. Actually, even for that stainless an 800/3k would be plenty. They're super cheap on amazon.

using a sharpening stone is a basic life skill right up there in terms of easy and useful as
buttoning pants
tieing your shoelaces
washing dishes
making your bed
driving a nail straight

just fucking learn to do it it's incredibly simple
>grind knife edge at correct and consistent angle on stone until you reach the other side
>flip over and repeat
>move to a higher grit to make it nicer

You need one built for wrist comfort while stabbing people. Also with a convenient notch to channel the spewing blood

Khukris are rad.

get one of these. cheap ones will do. use it eveyr 3-5 times you use you knife.

Just learn how to use a whetstone. Its a bit of a learning curve, I am confident doing most of my hunting and general purpose knives, but I still take my nice chefs knife to the meatworks and pay one of the guys there a few bucks to tune it up properly, cause they can get that fucker soooo sharp.

>thinks fullers are for blood flow.
>almost 2017

You can take it to any of a number of shops and they'll do it for a few dollars. Or you can buy a machine and it will do a flawless job without you having to become one of these faggots that brags nonstop about muh' stones.

There is this mythical thing in the culinary world called a steel.
Now, in order to obtain one you must know how to hunt such creatures in the wilds.
You must first scout the location, then go buy one from the store and learn how the fuck to use a steel.
Hold the knife to the light, if you see reflections, you run the knife over the steel evenly until you don't see shiny shit on the knife edge.
Congradufuckinglations, you are now a goddamn adult.

Not the fullering, dumbass. The notch at the base.