Crock Pots

yay or nay?

may

tay

gay

CAN U REPEAT THE QUESTION

They are a good way to make a decent size amount of food with little effort. They can be great but generally the flavor of things made in crockpots tends to bland out.

Overall it's great if you are a person on a budget

Start before work, come home to food.

sure why not

mostly I use it for roasts and applesauce

Good for somethings.

I hate when I see people use it for things like pizza and mac and cheese.

>things like pizza

This is how house fires start.

You're the sort of retard who thinks I'm gonna start a fire by leaving the oven on when I'm not at home, right?

I've never been stupid enough to understand your reasoning. How exactly is a fire gonna start? You think the air in the oven is going to randomly set on fire? Explain your retarded logic to me

>by leaving the oven on
Why don't you use a dutch oven instead of a slow cooker if you don't mind leaving the oven on?

I do, I'm not one of those faggots who uses a slow cooker. Now explain why stupid people always think leaving an oven on will start a fire.

Fire comes from a chemical reaction between oxygen in the atmosphere and some sort of fuel (wood or gasoline, for example). Of course, wood and gasoline don't spontaneously catch on fire just because they're surrounded by oxygen. For the combustion reaction to happen, you have to heat the fuel to its ignition temperature.

And how exactly is this fuel going to reach its ignition temperature? Ovens are insulated so only a minimal amount of heat escapes, and inside the oven itself there's nothing that can catch on fire because oven designers aren't fucking stupid.

Funny how 13% of all housefires are caused by a running oven.

Right, and 100% of shark attacks are caused by going swimming, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't swim

I agree, that was my point...

Not the user you're responding to, but all sorts of shit can happen. Your fuse could blow and your circuit board thermostat gets fried and fails to turn off the power to the burner, which happened to me when I was home, thank kek. The oven heats to such a point that it will start a fire if it's within 3 inches from any combustible.

The cord or socket could malfunction.

That's why in the instructions, it normally says, "never leave unattended." Of course, they assume if you don't follow them, there won't be a great loss to the human genome.

>Your fuse could blow and your circuit board thermostat gets fried and fails to turn off the power to the burner
I have an electric oven.

>The cord or socket could malfunction.
No idea what this means, but I presume in that case the oven would just turn off.

>The oven heats to such a point that it will start a fire if it's within 3 inches from any combustible.
I don't put combustibles near my oven

Try again, friendo.

>Leave unattended
>Die

Is he getting hit by a bus?

So you're the type of retard that swims with sharks rather than using a pool.

>babies are attended to even when I'm sleeping in another room.

Yay

Doing some nip curry in mine tomorrow

>No idea what this means
Google "electrical cord fire" and fuck off.
>Try again, friendo
You don't "win" just because you're too stupid to understand what he's talking about.

>I don't put combustibles near my oven
You put combustibles in your oven, retard. Unless you don't cook with oil nor eat meat.

Wait, babies kill! Thank God I'm ugly.

ovens reach high temperatures! Peoples home burn down... I dont see that happening...

Hey burgers, build better houses and electrical outlets and you can leave all the crockery pots on for a few fortnights.

salsa chicken

>I have an electric oven.

Yeah, that's what I had when the fuse and circuit board blew. You see, with electric circuits building codes require fuses (there's a fusebox somewhere in your house or apartment.) They're a kind of first line defense. The secondary line is the circuit board in the electric oven. But sometimes they get overrun, and you end up having the oven start melting. Things near or in the oven catch on fire. Fire spreads to other combustiles.

Of course it will never happen to you! That's the mantra, that fortunately leads to a kind of self-imposed cleansing of the genome.

....pizza in a crock pot? I cant even.

pfftt. they dont got gas...

Have you ever thought that maybe it was just your time and you cheated death?

Not then. Other incidents, yes. Witness the hole in my sinus cavity where I was shot point blank with a .25 caliber during an armed robbery.

He was black, wasn't he?

Listen dude, you need to stop calling me stupid and implying I have bad genes.

I have a Ph.D in Music from the University of California. Do you have a doctorate? No? Then shut the hell up

>phd makes one smart
>im doktror i know everything

Crockpots are cheap, pretty energy efficient and make some easy meals. Only downside really is the amount of space it takes up, so unless you plan to use one a lot it's probably not worth it

This happened once to me. I was cooking food, put the oven on something low, like 200, and went about my business. About 10 minutes later, I smell smoke, the alarm is going off, and I race over the oven. The broiler is going full blast, my food is on fire, and I'm freaking out. I turn the oven off, but the broiler is still going. It's not just still glowing from the residual heat, but it's still active. About 10 minutes later, it all shut down, and I never had a problem with the oven again, although everybody's kitchen got renovated about a month later so it's not like I spent a lot more time with it.

I think two weeks might be a bit much.

I really only use them for making beans, which I leave on for the 8 hours I'm at work. I deem it safe, but I'm also a burgerlard, so I might be inherently retarded by euro standards. I used to make a lot of ham hock stews, but my roommate hates stews so those don't get made often. Excellent for bone broths in my experience.

>shot point blank with a .25 caliber
Bullshit, Everyone on /k/ knows that caliber enters your skull and bounces around turning your brain into scrambled eggs.

That's .22, .25 ACP is even weaker.

Terrible for cooking.
Good for keeping things warm.

Well, you don't /k/now shit then. It hit my high density glasses and refracted into my sinus cavity. He was shorter than me and pointing up into my face. And don't think for a minute there was even a second to react. I was standing at a counter in the back of the store bullshitting with the pharmacist/owner who was a friend of mine when he looked to my right and said can I help you and I turned to look who he was talking to and the next thing I knew, I was laying on the floor and he was firing at the pharmacist. I knew I'd been shot when I saw him shoot the pharmacist. The pharmacist slumped to the floor and he turned back to take care of me. I started acting like I was having convulsions, he grinned, stuck the gun behind his back and started walking to the front of the store. I ran out the back door, blood spewing out like a fountain from under my eye. In the emergency room they did a brain and upper body x-ray - no bullet or metal fragments. Five years later started having pain in my right side. Everything normal. Finally did a Xray and you could put calipers on the damn thing and see it was .25 caliber. How'd it get in the liver? No one knows.

As I said, that was one of the incidents where I should have died.

Yeah, he was. Why, was it you?

>phd in music

I have a BA, but I'm not particularly impressed by your capabilities when you don't know the basics of elementary home electronic circuitry.

I suggest you go blow your Phd horn and see what pops up.

My problem with crockpots is just that you can't sear with them.
Okay, you can with some models where you can either put it on the stovetop or it has a high temp function or you could just sear in a pan and transfer it, but I don't get this "do it before work" meme. First thing in the morning I'm not browning chicken. I'd rather do that the night before and then put it in the fridge in the morning and reheat for dinner.

A better solution is a GOOD banquet electric frypan with good temp control and a decent element. It's wide enough to get a decent amount of searing going. The shape is far more functional for searing and then slow cooking. That's honestly the problem with crockpots and dutch ovens. You need to sear in batches if you're filling them all the way up because they're shaped for stove elements. If they're shallow with a large surface you don't need to do shit in batches.