Favorite steak cut?

Flat Irons. They're really underrated cuts and thus usually super cheap

is there really a big difference between the cuts other than the shape and thickness?

Flank steak, marinated in wooster sauce and vinegar for a day, cooked over high heat briefly.

Porterhouse, but I would never eat that much meat in one sitting.

>is there really a big difference between the cuts other than the shape and thickness?

the name of the steak tells you which muscle it came from. muscles that do less work, e.g. the tenderloin, are naturally more tender than muscles that do more work, e.g. the round.

the key to finding a tender is steak is to select a cut that comes from a seldom-used muscle that has a decent amount of fat marbling. there should also be a minimum amount of connective tissue in the final product as cartilage and whatnot is usually tough to chew.

Bone in rib eye or Porter house

Tender
No flavor

+1
All the tender fatty flavor

Steak is the biggest meme food.

>Wooster
>Not Worcester
>Wooster

Guys, noob question here. Why is it called rib eye?

Anything with a bone is a big fkn scam. You're paying for dead weight, bone imparts no additional flavour or textural benefits. The only perk is that meat adjacent to the bone has marginally more intramuscular fat, but that's irrelevant if it's been trimmed away from the bone cleanly.

Porterhouse is for when you don't know whether you want tenderloin or strip (the correct answer to which is neither because you want a ribeye like any good boy does).

Ribeye is my favorite cut for sure. Pic related
>that spinalis

Porterhouse is a close second

It's the central portion (the eye) of the rib primal cut. The centre of the whole ribeye steak is also the eye of the ribeye, as opposed to the spinalis cap on the outside.

Mah nigga, I love for dat spinalis.

Have you not noticed that cuts with bone are sold at a lower price per weight?

Not where I am they aren't. I don't tend to buy bone in cuts regardless, as there's no real benefit to it, and I'm not usually going to whip out the calculator and figure out if I'm getting a better deal or not.

NY Strip and Porterhouse are tied first

>bone imparts no flavor

there's a multitude of reasons to leave the bone on a piece of meat, better taste is only one

Filet mignon if I'm feeling rich, a filet if I'm hungry.

Obviously with a high amount of marbling, I love my fat in steak I cook it hot enough to melt it properly.

It's not though, it's been completely disproven, bone doesn't impart any flavour. The only practical application I could think of is that it's easier to lift a tomahawk by the bone, or for resting rib roasts vertically.

Gr8 b8 m8

Tomahawk
Master Race

No memeing here son.

The cheapest.

Sirloin is the only way to go for me.

I ain't talking ur b8 mr fisherman

>Porterhouse is NY Strip and Filet together
>still has both on list.

What did he mean by this?

porterhouse

this

Filet or Boneless rib eye

Hanger steak

Tenderloin.

It is almost universally considered tasty. The only people who can't enjoy it are vegetarians and vegans.

most overrated: filet mignon
most underrated: picanha aka sirloin cap

Here's a noob question for you Veeky Forums. Which steak cut is the best to put in a slow cooker? Should I just get the cheapest thing and cook it until it falls apart?

Pic related is the model I have.

>picanha

love getting these at the Brazilian steakhouse in town

Fat is kind of a meme when talking steak. I've had all sorts of steak and I actually prefer the lean top sirloin. That's just my preference.

Porterhouse and Sirloin, Scotch Fillet is pretty good too

'Pot roast' or 'chuck roast'. Don't put a steak in there

>growing up, parents afraid of serving anything red
>served steak completely grey all the way through.
>never seared it, grey on the outside too.
>chewy fat and gristle
For years I assumed I hated steak, but when I see pictures and videos of properly cooked steak, I think it looks delicious.
What would you recommend for someone that has literally never had a good, properly cooked steak? Should I maybe order one at a restaurant first to see how it should be? What cut is good for a newbie? Also, what temp/doneness is generally recommended? I don't mind red, but I am not sure if I would like rare.

3 grades of meat in the US:
Prime is the best
Choice is 2nd
Select is worst

Grading is based on marbling (how much fat there is). Prime is fattier, select is leaner.

Look up a video on how to pan sear a steak, go to your local meat counter and get the cut you want (I'd recommend prime ribeye, I think it's the most flavorful). Cook it medium-rare/rare and pair it with some sides.

boneless rib-eye

Strip all the way

Bone imparts no flavor?

Your taste buds are malfunctioning, my friend. That's where ALL the flavor comes from.

Give me a t-bone over a filet any fucking day of the week.

>40 posts in
>no one has mentioned skirt steak yet

smdh senpaitachi

Meme steak

Although I love a good steak out of all of these, my favorite is a Flank Steak.

No marinade, just brought to room temperature and seasoned with a generous amount of salt and pepper, some olive oil, and cooked directly on coals for about 2 minutes per side and let to rest for about 5 minutes.

ribeye.

>muh rediscovered cuts of meat that they shove down my throat.

Flank
Rib Eye
New York
Tenderloin

Flank marinated and cut correctly.
Rib Eye sous vide to 130 or so.
NY same as above.
Tenderloin med rare with some sauce to ants in my pants, like a reduced cream with green peppercorns or duxelles or bourbon or git gud sauce.

Literally not correct. Intramuscular fat == flavour.

Take it up with the research friendo, no discernable difference. A tbone is half fillet you fucking mong.

Should I definitely make one myself before trying one at a nice restaurant? I am worried I will mess something up.

You say the research proves it doesn't add flavor, do you have any links?

Whatever one is best rare. And I do like eating raw fat
which one would that be?

It's more expensive at a restaurant. Just don't go somewhere mediocre and you'll be fine.

But I like my food with handles?

Rump steak master race checking in.

Thanks for your worthless unasked for opinion about what kind of steak I want. I will still take porterhouse. Ribeye is too soft and fatty, and I like the bones for my doggo. Even if I didn't have a dog, I would take porterhouse. I would take a New York strip over a ribeye.

>doggo
call them dogs. you're not on reddit

>I'm PROUDLY ignorant and defiant in the face of advice
Yeah, underage.

if you're worried about messing up go to a restaurant first so you can see how it's properly done. if you're rich go to mortons or outback if you're poor. get a ribeye or a porterhouse cooked medium rare.

Never been on reddit

Ya, because I know what kind of fucking steak I like.

>hurr he must be underage because he doesn't like the steak I like

I like my steaks between rare and medium rare. I don't like big chunks of raw fat in the middle of my steaks. just because you're a poor fav who can only afford a razor thin ribeye doesn't mean you have to get pissy that I buy big porterhouses and share them with my dog.

If the beef is well sourced and properly trimmed, then its game for a sous vide and tasty as fuck. The same applies for bavette.
Agreed here, sirloin is beautiful especially if you apply some heat to the fatty tissue at the edge before cooking the rest
Personally I enjoy rump over anything else, intensity of flavour is high but not too fucked with chew.
Filet m in surf and turf
Ribeye is great and all, but todays beef lacks the marbling necessary 9 out of 10 times

filet, i fucking hate fat.

ribeye.

they say you shouldn't give cooked bones to a dog.

Yeah you shouldn't give cooked bones to dogs, they can splinter and cause perforations which will be a costly vet bill and/or kill the dog.

I'm not sure why people think cooked bones are a good choice for dogs, I suppose they just don't think too deeply.

I guess I'm the only here that prefers filet over all others