What causes the wave function in quantum mechanics? If the answer is 'it just is', then QM is pseudoscience

What causes the wave function in quantum mechanics? If the answer is 'it just is', then QM is pseudoscience.

Other urls found in this thread:

farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmech/Quantum/node25.html
quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node78.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_physics
youtube.com/watch?v=-IfmgyXs7z8&list=PLsPUh22kYmNCGaVGuGfKfJl-6RdHiCjo1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Inadequate equipment

>What causes the wave function in quantum mechanics?
The ebin maymays of course

this.

we currently do not have the capacity to directly observe particles, but only their interference patterns due to various collisions. the result is that we have only estimations for where particles should be based on a theoretical distribution.

learn complex analysis, advanced linear algebra, probability theory, and partial differential equations if you want more mathematical background on the subject

What causes newtons third law in classical mechanics? If the answer is 'it just is', then CM is pseudoscience.

But that's the answer to all scientific questions. Someone misdirected you about what science is.

Nothing "causes" it, it's an inevitable outcome of the reality of quantisisation and the uncertainty principle. It's like asking what "causes" gravity to be attractive, the only answer is "the laws of physics".

No retards, because of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. No piece of equipment will ever allow us to study particles like if they were soft balls.

quads of truth
reality is made of a field, not billiard balls
stop thinking in billiard balls

Kill yourselves, like, seriously. If you don't even know basic QFT you shouldn't be allowed to post here.

Nice quads.

So following Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle you can never guess when you can get quads, only the probability of getting quads?

And what about quads-double dubs duality

HUP doesn't tell you about probability, the Schrodinger wave function does.

Nah, m8s check this out.

Any force is just a sum of fundamental forces. Fundamental forces are electomagnetic, gravitation, and strong and weak nuclear. Every one of them has the property as stated in Newtons third law.

I don't need any mathematical backgrounds, I have good skill in mathematics.

I just need a justification to the existence of the wave function. If the justification is that its only an axiom, then the QM is incomplete.

So you say that aether is real? Hmm, makes you think

We are still researching. There are plenty of models to describe fermions and generally all fundamental particles, but "WHAT" exactly are they is the hardest question on the table. Are they billiard balls that we can't properly measure and we end up describing them by probability clouds? Are they disturbances in a field which we can measure, meaning that the disturbance causes the existence of what we call "particle", not the other way around? Are they vibrations of tiny strings (KEK)?

Finish your physics undergrad and come help, instead of shitposting
>inb4 im majoring chem eng ecks dee

>QMT is just like aether hypothesis

I merely asked. I don't study theoretical physics, yet i have to take a course on Quantum Mechanics. Maybe the word pseudo was too much tho.

Look up the Fourier transform of a Gaussian wave packet, the result is essentially the uncertainty principle
farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmech/Quantum/node25.html
quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node78.html

Why you are talking about uncertainity principle? Yes I know this already, it's a direct concequence of the wave nature.

I'm asking WHY the WAVE exists. But I guess it's still a mystery so I think we are done here.

>I don't study theoretical physics, yet i have to take a course on Quantum Mechanics
That makes no sense.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_physics

Unfortunately, that's not even true without redefining what you mean by "momentum."

>QM is incomplete
holy fuck let's call the presses, OP found the most obvious statement in all of science

What do you think "the wave function" is?

In QM, every possible state that a system can have is given by an element of a hilbert space. In the case of a particle moving in 3D space, this hilbert space is the space of L^2 functions on R^3.
This is an axiom of quantum mechanics.
If you don't like the axiom, try to reason down to a more fundamental explanation for yourself.
People already have. QM is just an approximation whose axioms are good at predicting reality in certain limits.

Whats a good book to learn QFT then?

cheap chinese measuring equipment.

this doesn't even look like QFT to me.
Just QM.

Shankaar is the best book for just diving into the material without having a special background

"Wave" function is a statistical description of the frequency of the location of the particle. Its not literally a wave.

>he can only describe fields mathematically

>What causes the wave function in quantum mechanics? If the answer is 'it just is', then QM is pseudoscience.

look another faggot who doesn't understand something complicated and would rather dismiss it as bullshit that come to grips with other people being capable of being smarter than he is.

watch this and them come back and apologize for shit posting your brainlet status.

youtube.com/watch?v=-IfmgyXs7z8&list=PLsPUh22kYmNCGaVGuGfKfJl-6RdHiCjo1

Holy shit you are a faggot.

what is the cause of anything? You think the wave function should be on a pedestal for philosophy to focus on?

Chance, randomness, free will, something rather than nothing, etc.

Basically, a wave function exists because it is logical and we don't know what it springs from nor what springs from it, but we just know it is logical and within our "knowledge-cone"

Ok, well we do know part of what it springs from is mathematics. Think of all possible configurations of information needed to make the wavefunction "intelligible" to a god or observer and that is the information content of the wavefunction. Any infinite string might have the wavefunction encoded in it whether it is random or by design, we don't know enough about numbers yet to say.

According to chemistry particles do behave wave-like.
Check out valence electron orbital theory.

>You think the wave function should be on a pedestal for philosophy to focus on?

Absolutely. What I have learned all implications (tunneling, double slit, particle in a box etc.) are based on that.

Nice /popsci/ answers.

idk

when I posted this, I was trying to think there is some mathematical structure supporting the wave function since to us it is just a mathematics equation we can use to instruct an algorithm (process of physical steps/calculations) to arrive at a value that logically completes the equation. The logical part tells us specifically what the mathematical structure can be, or at least it whittles the list of infinite possibilities down to another infinite list obeying the mathematics we are observing. From there you have to ask why are there the numbers and why is there a possibility? That's what I mean, there are deeper questions than the wave equation but it seems to be hidden in our vague understanding of mathematics.

I don't care. It just means science does not provide all the answers. I don't think my responses preclude science from answering his question further, eventually, but then they will be asking about that explanation instead, which is the point I was making.

Its based on the randomized roll of 2 6 sided die.
The most probable position is 7 and the least likely positions are 2 and 12.

>hidden in our vague understanding of mathematics.

Stop this mathematic troll. The question is physical and philosophical, not mathematical.

Science provides *correct* answers. Answering a question is irrelevant.

I am, I am also a huge brainlet

Look at this pendant. No, actually why would I speak of answers that aren't correct? Nice try asshat.

>OP posts graph showing mathematical relationships
>asks about mathematical equation
>asks about a mathematical framework
>No! the question isn't mathematical!! Strictly science and phiosophy because neither of those operate within the realm of mathematics!!!! Pythageoreans were heretics!

Physics is not reality. Physics is about making a mathematical model to describe reality.

Because the questions that science can't answer have no correct answers.

That would make it about reality.

shut up and calculate nerd

Stop playing semantics

shut up nerd, the truth is: the wave function is a meme
>no one knows what 'causes' it
>no one knows why its math works
>no one knows where u can get sch eq from

>the wave function is a meme

>he is mad his mathematical abstraction with no physical meaning is a meme

explain to me what does the wave function physically means, otherwise itll keep being a maymay

>what does the wave function physically mean
What does probability physically mean? Nothing unless you consider varying degrees of autism from humanity as something solid.