Quotes often misused/misunderstood

>‘Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

is about close friendships, not romance. Lord Tennyson was grieving the sudden death of his best friend.

God is dead.

The "Romeo, Romeo..." line is not asking "where" Romeo is but "why" must Romeo be Romeo.

I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference

I find it interesting that 'to be or not to be' is probably the most famous literature quote, and one all children learn through jokes, when it's about suicide. Not so much misunderstood as not understood at all, I guess.

Not really, lmao
t. God

UK Conservative party singing 'Jerusalem' and people suggesting it as a national anthem when Blake was all about radically tearing shit up French Revolution-style.

Also he didn't like the Greeks, apparently.

insane... whatever blake was'... can love their country too, user

Is the poem just about how wonderful England is?

>was all about radically tearing shit up French Revolution-style.
No, he was much more extreme, he was talking about a transcendental revolt which will eliminate the false consciousness of mankind.
>The ancient tradition that the world will be consumed in fire at the end of six thousand years is true, as I have heard from Hell. For the cherub with his flaming sword is hereby commanded to leave his guard at the tree of life, and when he does, the whole creation will be consumed and appear infinite and holy whereas it now appears finite & corrupt.
Apparently, it's not a mere historical event but a process which can not be grasped by a 'profane'.

Not really. It's about action v. inaction, as is all the play

>ending a sentence with a proposition

>>ending a sentence

Actually, turning the tables: On several places I've read that Sartre's "Hell is other people" is a "commonly misunderstood" quote.
I don't get it. How is it supposed to be interpreted then?

>authorial intent
Its about love. And how its better to have and lose than never have at all.

>Hell is other people
From what I've read, it seems it's not an edgy "I hate everyone leave me alone mom", but that shame, guilt, remorse of conscience, embarrassment, feelings of unworthiness, self-hatred, etc., start with the idea that we can be observed by other people, that there are other people besides us who can observe us and make judgments of us.

Obviously, Sartre doesn't (intend to) glorify hating other people, but obviously is making an obvious statement in a flashy way, and his philosophy seems to be how to get beyond this hell, how to accept it and move on past it.

Except I've never read Sartre, so take it with a grain of salt.

>Wherefore doesn't actually mean where
wow you really made me think

. . .“hell is other people” has always been misunderstood. It has been thought that what I meant by that was that our relations with other people are always poisoned, that they are invariably hellish relations. But what I really mean is something totally different. I mean that if relations with someone else are twisted, vitiated, then that other person can only be hell. Why? Because. . . when we think about ourselves, when we try to know ourselves, . . . we use the knowledge of us which other people already have. We judge ourselves with the means other people have and have given us for judging ourselves. Into whatever I say about myself someone else’s judgment always enters. Into whatever I feel within myself someone else’s judgment enters. . . . But that does not at all mean that one cannot have relations with other people. It simply brings out the capital importance of all other people for each one of us.

What did the greeks and romans do to get him so butthurt?

Truthfully I don't get what he's saying here. Is it essentially: Because this is how I've interpreted it also.

>The problem of this world is that the intelligent are full of doubt and the stupid are cock-sure of themselves.
Attributed to Bukowski, when in fact William Butler Yeats said it with an articulation that is simply unfathomable for the likes of Drunko Buko:
>The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Our self-judgments are based on how we're judged by other people. The same thing is said in both posts a bit differently, yes.

>Using grammar rules coined less than 300 years ago by newly, self-made rich people to feign class and burgeoisie

Do you also never break infinitives lest your mother buys you no ice cream this afternoon?

peoples use it to describe how relationships between living things are vile but it's more about the fact that all your desires and pleasures have to go trough the judgment and power of other.

a world where all that exist is you and under your control is literally heaven

heaven end where the will and power of other begin

Blake contrasted the aristocratic tradition of classical literature with the democratic tradition of the Bible and Christian literature.

>Tis better to have nigged a gay than to have gayed a nig

Wut he mean of this?

>I think, therefore I am

Apart from being not a direct translation of Descartes, most people seem to interpret this lineas some kind of intellectual mission statement which it is not

embarrassing little kid trying to shock his mommy?

well it's 'je pense donc je suis"

it's not that far stretched in english, "so" could replace therefore but it would be weird

in french it may also mean "I think a dong I am."

It's not that far fetched, but it's not a direct translation

>money is the root of all evil
nope, it's 'the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil' and it has to do in a specifically faith-oriented context to putting one's trust and hope in the things of this world, having other gods one could say

>Brevity is the soul of wit

Said in his longest play after a long winded (funny) speach by an idiot.

So you're saying it's better to not have any friends, and better to immediately lose contact with your parents because they are going to die one day?

you're one of those fags who don't get it, choosing the other path didnt make any real difference

So longwindedness is the soul of wit?

Irony is you massive faggotron9000

>proposition
I propose you take off
>yfw look at the end of my sentence while you're at it

You can't analyze rust quote, user. What is every single twat who got that tattooed on their forearm going to do when they learn they got the wrong message out of it?

LOL
I love this board