Hey guys /diy/ here, what do you think of this cutting board I made out of maple and walnut?

Hey guys /diy/ here, what do you think of this cutting board I made out of maple and walnut?

What's your cutting board?

Other urls found in this thread:

thekitchenprofessor.com/blog/what-is-the-best-cutting-board-for-meat
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Should have used glass, or PVC reinforced with concrete.

You made that? It looks great. How are things like this made? I've always wondered. How can the pieces of wood be so flush against each other?

Actually this looks great well done op. A tad thick for me but a nice result all the same

Looks like a terrible chess board, op.

It's a sander user, a sander.

>A tad thick for me
That's what she said.

It's all about working with nicely milled wood of consistent dimensions. I'll post three pics and hopefully it clears it up.

After you glue the first pile of sticks you need to plane both sides so they are the same thickness.

Stupid and gay. Enjoy your glue toxins and the piece of shit falling apart as soon as you try to wash it with hot water. Cutting boards need to be out of a solid piece or two at the most and have channels for the juices to flow. Unless you're just using it o cut vegetables, then it's a waste of good wood.

Then you cut them sideways with the table saw, then flip every other stick end over end so the pattern alternates.

Then you glue it all up.

Sand until the glue lines disappear.

>glass
It's like you hate your knives.

You realize the FDA has lists of food-safe wood glues right? Specifically for these types of things actually.

B-but this glue is non-toxic...It's basically the same white glue you ate when you were a kid.

Maybe I do...

The FDA is total bullshit, they didn't even attempt to regulate cigarettes until 1996 yet they list psilocybin as a schedule 1 drug. The glue may be safe but using the FDA as a source is pointless.

Looks great OP.

It's just amazing to me that a thin layer of glue could be so powerful that it could keep something like that together

>The FDA is total bullshit, they didn't even attempt to regulate cigarettes until 1996 yet they list psilocybin as a schedule 1 drug.
I am honestly baffled by the stupidity of this sentence.

Looks amazing OP. Don't bother with jelly shitposting underageb&.

I made this cutting board in "shop" class back when I was in middle school near a decade ago. We used basically the same process here Surprised they actually let us operate bandsaws and the like.

It's pretty strong. I remember my teacher said that the glue is so strong that were it to crack, it would be along a weak point in the wood, and not where the pieces are glued together.

What's the best glue to use? I have a 36" by 48" by 4" walnut block I use as an island and I'm amazed at how it holds together. It weighs a ton.

Forgot image.

>It's basically the same white glue you ate when you were a kid.

And now he's retarded. Please be careful.

really shows how much free time you have. Are you a stay at home mom?

>butcher block master race

Old school head chopper stylee. Nice.

For modern glues, the glue joints are stronger than the cellulose that keeps the wood fibers together.

looks really good tbqh

That's because you're a retard, thanks for reminding everyone.

Titebond 3.

t. OP

Also, to all you chucklefucks, if you attempt to build one of these, dont use water soluble glue. Use something thats waterproof when its dried and cured.

Ive seen plenty of dipshits make cutting boards out of standard wood glue, which slowly comes apart due to moisture in the air, and/or getting washes with water/liquids, and they just fall apart.

Wow. A block of wood.. such talent

A FUCKING LEAF

Make em with a slightly fancier design and add some feet to one side and you've got a $200+ product.

I just use plastic because I don't like everything tasting like garlic also because I don't want meat pathogens in my food. Also dishwasher safe.

>I just use plastic...because I don't want meat pathogens in my food

thekitchenprofessor.com/blog/what-is-the-best-cutting-board-for-meat
>If you can afford an end-grain cutting board, it is the best, and safest cutting board, that you can buy.

Shit, I'm in the wrong line of work

I have a plastic one I properly wash only a few times a year because I'm vegan and a slob.

Nonsense.

great rebuttal

lmao who gets sick from a washed cutting board

maybe you shouldn't be alive

Confirmation bias is often a bad thing, where if someone is presented evidence contradicting what they believe, it makes them believe in their potentially false belief even stronger.

How about i fuck you in the ass?

Also have a board like Jack's my mom got at Williams-Sonoma and sent with me when I moved out because I use it for slicing homemade without making a mess and she's intermittently on the gluten-free fad but I brought it to a cabin and my dad assumed it was one of theirs and left shitty old people spiced meat that smells like cat poop thawing on it so now I don't like to use that board no matter how much I try to clean it.

It would be extremely painful.

You've got a big ass

For you.

this is pretty cool desu

Thanks guys.

I got another end-grain cutting board planned out, still using walnut and maple but this time making it the exact dimensions of an ordinary chessboard.

Though I think I might switch out the walnut for cherry. Walnut is a bit dark and dramatic for a typical decor.

That looks really good user, qualitywise. Lookswise it is a bit too busy for my personal taste. You also missed the chance to replace a single light bit of wood somewhere not quite in the middle of the board for a dark one, OCD sufferers love looking at such stuff.

You would get a much stronger board if you shifted every other stick "upwards" or "downwards" by half a block in that step. That way the glue lines would not form a "four way junction" but only a "T-junction". That way potential stress lines would be constantly blocked. And I'd stick to just one kind of wood, using two is just asking for trouble, with their different behaviour when swelling or shrinking.

I was definitely aware of that during the glue up, but in the end I decided to maximize the size of the cutting board by not cutting away waste after the final glueup. Plus, the glue joints are extremely strong. I am more concerned of cracking from moisture. If it wants to expand, then something has to give way, and the glue joints would be the last of my concern.

Also, black walnut and rock maple have similar expansion rates.

What I could have done better was to arrange the pieces so that the grain directions were aligned to expand in the same direction. As it is there are some places more likely to crack than others because when two adjacent pieces get wet they will expand against each other.

Exactly the same shop class project I did in 1989.
Glad to see technology has come a long way... or not...

Why would you change stuff that has been proven to work perfectly well? Just for the sake of change? I have seen many things change in my lifetime, and a lot of them got crappier ...

you should post this on www.kitchenknifeforums.com. People there appreciate stuff like that.

this is such a dadpost

>hours and hours of inhaling carcinogenic dust and then dealing with retards who got mad because they were hoping for a slightly different shade of brown
>here's your $200
>oops don't forget since you're self employed you get your entire life torn apart by the IRS once a year to make sure you're not cheating on your taxes since they know you can't afford tax lawyers like a real company
No thanks I'll stick to my white collar job

>I'll stick to my white collar job
... where you spend all day in your cubicle getting harrassed by your boss while STILL inhaling carcinogenic xerox- and laser printer toner dust all day long.

Are the different cuts of timber held together with dowel joints?

cool and good

That's actually awesome OP. Makes me want to get a nice one like that. I just use shit bamboo and plastic ones. Thanks for showing the process also.

>all day in your cubicle getting harrassed by your boss
not really, my boss is the owner of the company, he only notices me when I've been gone for more than a day and then instead of checking my calendar he just starts freaking out and asking everyone where I am

>while STILL inhaling carcinogenic xerox- and laser printer toner dust all day long.
what is this, 1993?

I work in the wood turning industry and I can tell you nothing is hand made like this anymore.
All our stuff is processed in an office and sent to a CNC machine, the only time a human actually touches a product is just after it's cut it gets checked for defects and then it goes out the door.
Contracts are pretty much won on how quick and cheap we can make something.

Yup, digitalisation, machines, robots and computers are beginning to kill off human labour requirements in a big way. We're on the cusp of a new technological age. Even the stuff that until now could only be made by human labour (clothes) will soon be manufactured by machines. Adidas has recently openend a fully robotized shoe factory - in Germany, of all the places with high cost of labour. This means that all the third world countries, for whom the clothes industry has been the traditional first stepping stone out of poverty and into industrialization for decades are well and truly fucked. Those people will all come flooding into Europe, trying to escape crushing poverty. We're seeing the beginning of that development right now, too.

Beautiful but perhaps a bit thick. Great stain job

>but perhaps a bit thick
I was thinking the opposite to be honest, i'd want double that thickness.

You can always sand it flat and re-oil it once it gets worn.

Glass cutting boards are objectively superior.

This is plenty thick enough to last OP a lifetime unless he is a professional chef maybe. Endgrain board have very little wear because the blade slides between the wood grain fibers upon impact without severing them.

Plus, sanding down a worn cutting board is a hellish job, all the oil and grease it has absorbed over the years clog up your sandpaper instantly.

No. They are more likely to have bacteria and are worse for your knifes. They don't look as good, either.

I know you're trolling, but to all possible newbies reading this, be aware that a glass cutting board ruins your edge instantly. Literally instantly, because it gets rolled over by the glass, which is much harder than the steel..

bacteria, well, no. I think you mean plastic boards. But yes, glass boards are horrible on your knife edge.

Neatos.

Damn you need to give your nose a rest.

>this safety organization is a sham and your and retard for ever believing anything from it because my addiction is considered bad and this thing I don't like took a while to be considered bad because medical bullshit so literally everything they ever do is false and I want to look retarded!

If you do that you know you have to play chess with vegetable pieces, right?

You eat what you capture.

Not a fan of the colors, reminds me of a chess/checkers board. would rather have a less contrasty medium dark walnut colored one. craftsmanship looks good though.
my friends who can't cook for shit inherited pic related and use it as a table to store shit on...

This pleases my autism

See if you can buy it off him. People like him end up using that for firewood, because their fucking girlfriend complained it was impractical without drawers or some other shit.

The FDA doesn't add or remove things from the drug schedules, and they didn't regulate cigarettes because of congressional pushback.

Is end grain really worth the added expense/care required over regular cross grain cutting boards?

Well long term its far less care.

The only real problem is the initial expense, and if you can do it yourself you're removing the majority of that factor as well.

It's more care because the end grain soaks up water like a mofo and causes it to crack.

That's why you let it soak in linseed oil for a day or two before using for the first time and let it dry out thoroughly when you're done done using and cleaning it. no cracks.

>tried to make a mortar and pestle last year as a first time home DIY project
>didn't really know how, too nervous to ask for help
>research made me more confused
>took a rock from outside
>wanted to make a hole in the middle
>tried to use an electric drill
>really old drill, got halfway through and the drill snapped off
>had a rock with a drill bit stuck inside
>felt nervous and kept it in the kitchen
>would occasionally use it to smash spices
>dad called it my 'pestle and worth a quarter'
>got angry and smashed him with it while he was sleeping
>now I live in a tiny room and have to share a kitchen with Indian strangers

If it ain't broke, _ _ _.

They are fine on serrated knives, which is what most normies use.

huh?

>eat what you capture
Are you stupid? What if he gets his pieces back?

Its pretty good for most part but why use niggerwood

yes, we got all-knowing supercomputertelevisionphonemapsecretaryvideocameras in our hands hooked up to a space-based network of miracle data beyond anyone's wildest dreams, smallpox was eradicated, knee and hip problems that would keep old people housebond until death can now be fixed with a minor surgical procedure on par with getting a dental filling, the cheapest shitbox surpassed the performance of a high end italian supercar while burning 1/20th the amount of fuel and at 1/100th the MTBFR, you can fly nonstop around the world drinking cognac the whole way for the price of a few nice pairs of shoes with a margin of safety that would have been beyond the comprehension of top NASA engineers when you were born, everyday occupational safety is protected to a greater degree than at any point in human history, you can have anything you want to eat or drink even if you live in bumfuck kansas thanks to the internet...

but yeah you can't run around saying nigger, nigger, nigger, you can't slap your wife around in public, you can't drive drunk without risking jail time, so modernity is a disaster and we should burn everything down and MAGA amirite?

You are quite likely the most ass-blasted person on the internet. Yup, I think so.

Internet is actually mostly cables. Underwater fiber optic cables, with really ingenious signal repeaters that don't involve electronics and the unreliability and latency they'd add. You're generally not doing anything with satellites unless you've gone out of your way to involve them.

>the GPS system is fiber optic cables
Just how do you think that would work in the middle of the ocean? Even LORAN at its best only covered areas within a reasonable distance of land.

I made an assumption about that bit at the beginning, that it was referring to Internet. Many people have a misconception that their GPS receiver sends signals to satellites. They only listen and do some maths.

>They only listen and do some maths.
Not really sure how that implies terrestrial internet, it could just as well have been satphones which are quite miraculous in their own right.

The Iridium network is neat. Ever look up at the right time to see one of the satellites glaring at you? There's several apps that can remind you and point to them when they're falling past. I once saw one and COSMO-SkyMed in the same part of the sky together by accident.

Wut?

>The FDA and DEA are the same organization now