What would it be like to have an IQ 150+ in low-income family?

What would it be like to have an IQ 150+ if ,
>you come from a low-income family?
>went to a high school that suppressed you from learning calculus until 1st year of college
>if none of your family members attended college
>dad said he'd beat your mother fucking ass if you didn't get a job after graduating from college
>didn't go to a prestigious undergraduate school
>had to work in a coal mine during the summers or other odd jobs
>none of your friends are intelelctuals
>born in the deep south
>dad beats the fuck out of your mom and says he'll beat the fuck out of you too

How can such a person compete when other 150+ IQ people enter college at 16 and have PhDs by their early 20s?

If this person broke free at 30 years old and went to graduate school how much time would it take them to catch up?

>If this person broke free at 30 years old
it's obviously much too late by then

the answer is that life simply isn't fair
the person was born with a gift but will likely never be able to capitalize on it

One of two things happen.

If they are aware of their capacity, they usually become jaded cynics.

If they are unaware they usually end up becoming someone with "lots of common sense". I come from a third world country and my grandparents did not go to college, and two of my grandparents didn't even finish elementary school. They all had children who went to college and excelled. My two grandparents who didn't finish elementary ended up having two physicians, two teachers, an engineer, and a business manager for children. My other grandmother who didn't go to college had a dentist and a physician.

Why would you say it's too late? Wouldn't this personal be expected to enroll as an undergraduate / community college / whatever and be expected to catch up quickly?

>check
>check (in a way)
>check
>something like that
>check
>check, but I liked it
>one is a pure genius
>not burger, but in a way, yes
>not living with them no more
By trying to focus making money.
If making money works out, he ain't going to school no more. (well - maybe for fun when money comes pretty much by itself, needing max.2hours of light work/day)

>never be able to capitalize
If one has real talents on some business, few years is a long time and thousands of sales.

They might not be able to compete with other 150+ IQ people, but they will be far ahead than the other 99% of the population.
Fuck off with that whining. Unless you live in an African HIV-filled shithole, an IQ of 150 is a major advantage and means that you'll definitely be really successful if you have a minimum amount of willpower.

your ability to learn has drastically decreased by then
the more fortunate people with high IQ by the age of 30 will already have their PHDs and be at the optimal position to produce their greatest works

this person, in comparison, still has another ~10 years to go before they get into position to produce
life has already defeated this person

Thanks this inspires me. I feel retarded due to the lack of education vs people my age with more education but see I see things much quicker and deeper than much younger people that are of equal education as me. Really impressed one professor as well due to a deep math connection I found that extended well beyond the class. But I find my ability to be very superficial due to the lack of training.

Produce what?
Are you all thinking on a wage-cuck terms?

Make money by any means - it will make you happy.

>150 IQ

what test are you guys referring to that scales up to 150? when i took the WISC, the max score was 140.

My friend is like this. Born into a white trash family with no father. Did well in school and has a full ride to my state university because he got waitlisted at MIT. Does a lot of drugs, doesn't have any sense of social appropriateness, but otherwise does well enough in school to get As. Environment = bad performance is a fucking meme, IQ is everything.

nice ancedote
>Environment = bad performance is a fucking meme, IQ is everything.
moore 1986

iq isn't all genes

>Produce what?
I already specified
>their greatest works
depends on your life goals
could be scientific research, new physics, or it could be architecture, art, or anything else

>know a guy who has confirmed +150 IQ
>His family was white trash
>emancipated himself at 16
>sold bombs to russian mob
>join army at 18
>linguistic expert with the core
>learned 3 to 5 languages in middle east
>comes back and majors in philosophy
>Turned a whole fraternity gay
>King of dick-suckers
>Tripped balls with friend and this guy twice
>Kinda weird guy and hits on straight men way too hard so I never talked with him ever again

But one has always produced his best work already (for time being), so one has try more and more until death anyways.

>Environment = bad performance is a fucking meme

Depends on how bad the environment is, man. If you're a little kid and you have to figure out when you're going to eat your next meal, no wonder you're not practicing math and reading to be proficient.

What I meant to say is I am pretty advance for my education level. I made a deep connection in math that extended well beyond my class and my professor was really impressed.

But I fee like I know nothing compared to graduate students and the people my age doing grad school are in their final years of a PhD program or already graduated with a PhD.

Feels bad man.

So I fee very advanced for people with my education level but like I know nothing compared to people my age group that are have more education.

I won't worry too much about my life setbacks and instead worry about getting good and catching up

On mobile so typos. I'm in classes with people 18-19 years old and am basically 30. Oh well. I did really well in my last class and plan to continue doing well. Want to progress as fast as I can through my courses so I can do research

Don't listen to this imbecile. The Australian Economist William Philips didn't get his PhD until he was in his 50's and still became a professor.

Thanks man, I thought I might be too old to become a professor n my late 30s (by that time) but this gives me much hope.

Be me, IQ of 146. Low income family.
Life pretty much sucks.
School was boring, so I trashed it.
Joined the military, where they could not handle me. Wasted to many years on trying to do the right thing, only to find out society is for the rich only.
If I only had the money for the dentist, I could start over again...

Try to develop this skill on the side until you know you are able to impress some academic and skip a few steps, like Ramanujan did.

> If you're a little kid and you have to figure out when you're going to eat your next meal,
This just motivates you more to get out of that.
I actually grew up in the kind of environment. It's very easy to deal with when you're much, much smarter than your peers because you can actually abuse the living shit out of the systems your peers are barely aware of.

Once you get to university, you can easily handle workloads that your new peers are barely used to. I easily made up any disadvantage due to family connections through sob stories about muh dark, poor past and just being active.

>tfw to smart

Thanks. I'm working on it. He said I reinvented a certain field within a day and then extended some of my results and gave me a paper and book to read. He was very impressed and said he'd help me get into grad school. Said he wanted to get me on a research project but told me i needed to take a few extra classes first. First good step. I may be older than most students but I cannot see myself doing anything else and I absolutely love it

Correlation does not imply causation. A bad environment which inhibits creative learning. It's most oftentimes a benefit to grow up without a father in a white trash family. He was spared a lot of abuse.

Tip

Start reading the big philosophers.
Respect religion as a tool to keep people stupid. Fuck around to have kids. When you get kids, honor that other parent and uphold your new family. Enjoy love. Die without remorse. Let other people worry about bigger things besides your home. Money isn't love. Love is the most intense feeling your fill find in the universe. Get it, a lot.

it's called life to be complete honest imo

what field

I got 154 on the WISC III iirc

An IQ of 150+ corresponds merely to being at the 1-in-2330 level. There are 300 million people in the US, so around ~130k people with IQs of 150 or above. Another way of thinking about it is that if a high school graduates ~500 people per year, then someone with an IQ of 150+ shows up once every 4 years.

That's not bad by any stretch of the imagination but IQ 150+ is very far from being the sort of genius some people seem to imagine.

It's not far from what most people imagine. It's not like the stereotype for people of 150+ is them using their minds to move objects. It's much more like someone who has a lot of ease with intellectual activities, being able to easily deduce non-intuitive stuff with little knowledge of the subject.
An IQ of 150 should mean that the person is about as smart as Einstein or Hawking (I know that any of them took an IQ test, but it is a rough estimate).

none of them took any IQ tests*

>An IQ of 150 should mean that the person is about as smart as Einstein or Hawking

That seems really inaccurate. I think you might be underestimating (1) the significance of Einstein's work and (2) the range of variation in human ability. An IQ of 150 is likely "enough" in some sense for a tenured professor of chemistry (say) at a mid-tier state university, but not nearly sufficient for paradigm-changing theoretical work.

There are returns to IQ even at the very upper end; for instance, differences in performance on the IMO (no award / bronze / silver / gold) do actually predict the extent of future success to some extent (e.g. gold medalists are overrepresented among Fields medalists).

shitposting, evidently.

>your ability to learn has drastically decreased by then

Citation needed

>An IQ of 150 is likely "enough" in some sense for a tenured professor of chemistry (say) at a mid-tier state university, but not nearly sufficient for paradigm-changing theoretical work.
An IQ of 150 is more than enough for a paradigm-changing work. To change the status quo you need more hard work than intelligence (obviously above average intelligence is required, but hard work is more fundamental for that. See Feynman and his 125 IQ).
You seem to be underestimating the capacity with someone with a 150 IQ. With that level of intelligence you'll get to be only a chemistry tenured professor on a mid-tier university if you are lazy.
Veeky Forums biases us into thinking that having an IQ of 120-160 is not a big deal whereas it is. Truth is that any IQ above 130-140 is genius-level and at that point the score matters too little. At least for me, having an IQ of 140 or 170 means the same thing: you are way beyond me and the rest of the population, and I'm not able to compete with you.

Once they hit 18 they probably just move out and do what they want.

Now that trump won, the department of edjewcation will be downsized and smart kids wont be held down by their retarded peers.

This isn't just a low-income family, you're alluding to an extreme case where the individual is not only poor, but actively harassed and oppressed by his father

this isn't very typical as low income families oftentimes go hand in hand with delinquent dads in today's day and age

your average low income student will be in a worse off school environment (true), and have less resources to draw from, but will be naturally precocious and drawn to books and libraries. They will probably still do very well in school and get a scholarship to college, once in college nothing about their past poor life will affect them as it's a completely different environment and your living is essentially fully paid for by scholarships, grants, loans, and money you make outside of school. This would continue through grad school.

The biggest barrier is access to learning resources, which isn't really a problem in all but the worst case scenario, like being a poor Indian squatter or something

Assuming you aren't completely fucked in the head already (as most high IQ outliers are) and that you didn't receive too much trauma just from being raised in a destitute family (as much such individuals experience), and assuming you don't have any incredible chance encounters with someone who can make use of your potential (most people don't)...

You'd probably do about as well as most folks in your camp... Maybe slightly better, but probably still be lower or middle class by the end of your life, with some odd nerd hobbies.

All it really means is that you can memorize numbers and recognize patterns better than most. Nearly all switchboard operators in the 70's had IQ's over 130, just as a result of practicing those same two operations so often, yet they weren't exactly known for becoming millionaires.

You'd be surprised how many homeless folks there are with MENSA level IQ's.

On the other hand, you'd probably be pretty good at coding, and assuming you managed to get a computer at a young age, and the interest stuck, you could probably work your way up to a middle class income that way.

Speaking in an American context (I realize situations are legitimately severe in impoverished countries), the whole "being low class is a death sentence for your success" thing is almost a total meme. Everyone essentially receives a baseline level of education and public resources that are freely accessible should some individual choose to.

I think the bigger influence is your parents and how much they pass on to you. Genetic intelligence, on top of support. There are plenty of schmucks these days who come from middle class childhood backgrounds but never turned into achievers. Conversely, plenty of poor kids who didn't have much of a problem rising through K-12 and achieving in college.

The correlation between being poor and staying poor is because poor people are usually dumb, and have dumb kids, in a dumb situation, like being 19 and jobless. The correlation does not suggest that there is a mammoth wall sitting between a literal genius and making K-12 to college his bitch. A kid with a 150+ IQ and ambition would run train on public school.

That's part of the problem, I think. I wonder if, perhaps, there might be more "highly intelligent" people than we realize, but they lack the ambition or otherwise have certain traits that mark them for failure or under achievement.

It seems higher intelligence is positively correlated with all kinds of mental illness, from mild to serious. It doesn't seem outside of ordinary for some of these potential "geniuses" or at least "genius" level IQ to slip through the cracks and not manage their mental health. Become homeless, wrapped up with drugs/other addictions, or commit suicide.

>tfw 154 IQ
>Lowest of three tests.
>Born middle class.
>As a result, get a bunch of free-ride AP placements despite so-so grades.
>Actually do better in AP classes, but still bored.
>Now old, and still middle class.
>Still watching anime and browsing Veeky Forums.
>Half of my old friends in the same boat, including the Kiwanis Bowl guys I debated with, half of those guys are actually worse off than me (drug addicted or dead).
>All of us white or azn.
IQ dun mean nuffin.

Feynman measured IQ is inaccurate. Funny you put so much belief in it. His true IQ would certainly have been beyond 140, probably 150-160 range.

No IQ test is that accurate, you can gain or lose 20 points just by the time of day you took it or what you ate that morning. There's a reason you're supposed to take them a year apart.

Feynman probably scored very high in one section and very low in another. For whatever reason his score isn't accurate and doesn't reflect what he was capable of. Gifted kids with disabilities also tend to eat much lower than their ability (often times not even scoring in the gifted range). I'm not saying Feynman had an LD or anything like that, pointing out IQ results aren't always accurate for certain people that think a different way.

Typos, on phone whatever

>What would it be like to have an IQ 150+ if ,
>you come from a low-income family?

You spend all of your time helping out the family; from around age 5.

Then, when you're an adult- they can become middle class, and you can become upper-lower class.

>How can such a person compete when other 150+ IQ people enter college at 16 and have PhDs by their early 20s?

Tenacity, courage, and the ability to recognize when others are whining.

>If this person broke free at 30 years old and went to graduate school how much time would it take them to catch up?

I would like to learn that from this thread.

You wind up identifying with that movie; way too much- and you have a short temper because no one will fund you to study pure math except towards malicious purpose.

If you are white and male, kill yourself. No one gives a shit about "economic diversity" if they can't show you're "diverse" in a photograph.

I'm not quite 3 sd from the mean like you but I'm damn close and I know what it's like to have a shit past. When I realized that society was "for the rich only", the way forward became obvious.

Become rich. If you are as smart as you say you are, it will be easy. Trust me.

And you're a meet faggot. funny how that works

Smart people always find a way, that's why they are smart.

I love this answer. It's very true. Even if it takes them longer to get there they find a way.

having IQ above 120 is not very important in contrast with hard work

IQ 150+ doesn't mean they are really more competent than other smart people.