Brie hyped up by Veeky Forums

>Brie hyped up by Veeky Forums
>Finally get my hands on it
>Glorified Cheeze Whizz

Can someone give me cheese recommendations that will help me refine my palate?

Other urls found in this thread:

greece.org/hellas/cheese.html
fda.gov/downloads/food/complianceenforcement/sampling/ucm512217.pdf
youtube.com/user/greeningofgavin/videos
latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-new-fda-regulations-cheeses-20140903-story.html
accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_7.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>buy President brand pasteurized export-only brie made for Amerilards because the WIDF banned properly made cheese because Kraft can't into labor intensive traditional food production without making people sick
>wonder why it tastes like cheese whiz
This is why

Not sure how to help, sorry

Oh shit, for real? I mean that's like exactly what happened with me. Is there no actual way to eat real brie in the United States? This is a weirdly informative explanation by the way, thanks man

You might find pic related to be of interest.

Caboc is one of the richest chesses I've ever tried. I prefer crowdie, it has a mellower taste.

most very large cities have at least one good cheesemonger, though its usually not very famous/well known. Finding a good cheesemonger is the only way a normie can eat good cheese

French here, I have no fucking idea of how you can get it in america but if you can, try Salers. You don't know shit about cheese until you've tasted it.

Roblochon

Is president brand in europe similar(outside france)? I buy their brie/camambert all the time, it's only a step above store brand, but it's pretty ok for the price overall

Thanks guys, I'll do my best to learn some cheese.

leave blue cheese to me

>he fell for the blue cheese meme

U wot m8 ?

If you don't like the Bleu d'Auvergne then you don't like cheese.

Don't even say you know anything about flavor till you try some of these babies.

>implying Kraft singles isn't the best cheese

Once I got some hard, chalky greek cheese that started with K or something, shit was amazing. Went back to the same supermarket a week or two later to get more and was disappointed when they stopped stocking it. I know it's a long shot but anyone know what it might be? I usually don't like hard or chalky cheeses but this one blew me away.

greece.org/hellas/cheese.html

kefalotyri

Beat me to it

>being inspired to eat brie by Veeky Forums
>thinking it tastes like "american processed cheese"

Your well gone, stick to what you know fatty.

Red Leicester is fucking tasty, as are most english cheddars.
But they're probably banned from import to the US because protectionism. And your inferior american palate can't taste things anyway.

I can get Red Leicster, as well as many other English cheeses, at my local supermarket here in Texas.

Step aside

>Has to be labelled as food just in case you weren't sure

And I'm still not convinced.

it's more like butter, and makes excellent biscuits if you sub it for butter. also don't eat it cold, wrap it in puff pastry and bake it

>American flavored

compté is my favourite cheese , problem is that iam french and i don't know if you'll find it

is triple cream brie cheese basically just butter?

C'est du rEblochon...

So much this. In Canada we have both kinds because US influence and you can clearly see and taste the difference. Pasteurizes Brie is a truly WTF product. It's so disgusting.

Thank god for Quebec making good brie cheese tho or I'd be shit out of luck over here in Alberta

you can't, all salers is made from unpasteurized milk and is therefore the equivalent of nuclear waste according to the FDA

Imo cheese on its own sucks without wine

Kraft singles have their uses, mainly on grilled cheese sandwiches and cheeseburgers, where it melts pleasantly. But both can also be improved with traditional cheeses, if you're willing to build the burger around that flavor.

you can get it here but it's like $20/lb

>AMERICAN FLAVORED IMITATION PASTEURIZED PROCESS CHEESE FOOD
God Bless

GL. Cheese is a very expensive food to get into. It's really similar to wine in that respect. Sure, you can get good wine for cheap but to really dig your teeth in your gonna start shelling out decent money,

No joke, is this a meme or a high quality blue cheese? I ask because it's my favorite brand. I sprinkle some on every salad I make.

It's okay for an everyday blue cheese. No better or worse than a generic Stilton.

more butterfat is a good thing but it still depends on the manufacturer. Trader Joe's has some halfway decent stuff

>american flavored imitation pasteurized process cheese food

Seriously, nigger? What other absurdly labeled foods can you find in america

1) True cheese are raw milk
2) Président is shit
3) Some cheese, like Brie, must age to develop their taste to the fullest.

A short list in no special order (*check my fridge*) :
- Comté (nice, simple taste)
- Reblochon
- Abondance (a bit like Comté, better IMO)
- Morbier
- English Cheddar
- Gouda
- Gruyère
- Tome (several kinds, all good)
- St Maure de Touraine (Goat cheese covered in ash with an actual straw in the middle. I don't make this up)
- Brocciu (very fresh, hard to find outside Corsica)

Seriously ? US are a fucking meme ...

I'll also add a quality raw milk half salted butter, to be treated like cheese.

Never had a generic stilton before. I don't think I've EVER had stilton. Sounds tasty though based on the internet. How does it compare to an average blue? is it sharper? I love sharp blue cheese

>American flavored imitation pasteurized process cheese food
God fucking bless

>is it sharper?

No. Stilton tends to be creamier.

Oh come on. Do michelin star restaurants in the US just not serve cheese then? Like how the fuck does a real nice restaurant in america get by with pasteurized cheese? There has to be a way around it

They can serve unpasteurized cheese, but there are restrictions on the age

I recently realized "Made with 100% white chicken meat" does not mean it is 100% chicken

Take a look at pic related. It's ice cream right? Notice how it's not labeled as "ice cream"? That's because it can't legally be called ice cream since it doesn't have enough dairy in it. If they did label it it would be "frozen whipped dairy dessert product" and since that doesn't sound too great they just dropped labeling it altogether in hopes that people don't notice

You can get unpasteurized cheese here but it has to be aged 60 days, and there are some you can import but I forget which ones

unpasteurized cheese is fine as long as it's been aged for two months. the FDA tried to raise a fuss about this but they stopped when they only detected pathogens in .87% of all raw cheese samples tested.

fda.gov/downloads/food/complianceenforcement/sampling/ucm512217.pdf

if it is aged at least 60 days and domestically produced you are good to go but there are a lot of foreign cheeses you can't get legally like:

Bleu de Gex, Brie de Meaux, Brie de Melun, Camembert de Normandie, casu marzu, crottin de Chavignol, Époisses, Fourme d'Ambert, (briefly) mimolette, Mont d'Or, Morbier, Pouligny-Saint-Pierre, Reblochon, Roquefort, St. Nectaire, tomme de Savoie, Vacherin

It fucking sucks but local small producers are getting into the game so at least we can have some knockoffs

how hard/involved is it to take up cheese making as a hobby?

why the fuck would anyone on this planet ever want to eat casu marzu in the first place

italians don't count as people

*Sardinians

It's a special kind of stupid

We have that vile garbage up here in Canada too. They have to have it labelled frozen dessert though. They can't sued the words "ice cream" anywhere on the label. That shit is vile. I remember I bought a bit once and I had like 2 spoonfuls before I threw the entire fucking thing out. It was just sugary cold oil.

Depends where you live and how much money you got, hombre. If you live in a super metro area like NYC, London, Toronto, LA, Paris, Cologne, etc it's not gonna be hard. If you live in small-town USA or even just a small city it's gonna be borderline impossible in a lot of places.

Your claims are true in general but I have to get to the specifics: That is a mockup/simulation of the carton for that product, the actual production product has "dark chocolate ice cream with dark chocolatey truffles" as a lower definitive line, along with things like the nutrition info, serving suggestion disclaimer, volume, etc. The "dark chocolatey" nature of the truffles would suggest that the nodules inside the ice cream don't mean the standard definition of dark chocolate. Probably a blend with a little more oil/air/sugar etc because real chocolate truffles would not be at their best while frozen/would be more expensive.

Yay, Unilever!
The zombie-corpse of Breyers has been pumping out plenty of other Frozen Dairy Desserts. truly dark worlds.

I watched this guy's videos a bunch because it's a comfy channel then got into it myself

youtube.com/user/greeningofgavin/videos

It's not very expensive but there are significant upfront costs. I think I spent about $300 to get started so my first generic blue cheese was $100 a pound but the subsequent ones cost maybe $1.50/lb and taste better than anything I can buy at my supermarket by a mile. Though I haven't used any since I live in a big city, you can buy unpasteurized milk in state from local producers. More than anything it is pretty labor intensive (flipping cheeses in the cheese cave, changing brines, stirring milk for 45 minutes) but for me, producing something with your own two hands makes it taste even better. Also make good gifts except now my mother keeps pestering me to make more Camembert

If you wanted to sort of test the waters you could make things like mozzarella, ricotta, and fresh farmer's cheeses for much less money to see if you like it before you sink a couple paychecks into it

Brie smells like jizz

fags.

i can only speak for middle/western europe, what you say is definitely not true for here.
100g of awesome, perfectly stored and ripened cheese is between 1.40$-4$ at the very best cheesemongers that arent part of some ripoff delicacystore that targets lazy rich people. 100g of cheese is a lot, for 20$ i buy more great cheese every saturday than we can realistically eat during a week. ironically almost the same pricespan holds true for the "highend" stuff at normal supermarkets, which is far from highend

what's the best real cheese to substitute for this stuff in cheeseburgers? what about nacho dip?

>nacho dip
>real cheese
stop

cojita

dude I meant what real cheese would you use to make nacho dip with.

strong cheddar works well, it's flavorfull, readily available and not too expensive

Well technically any dip can be a nacho dip, but I'm guessing you're thinking of cheddar cheese dip. In which case I suggest you start with a roux and use the oldest sharp cheddar you can afford and just melt that shit down with a little bit of pepper.

>what's the best real cheese to substitute for this stuff in cheeseburgers?

A cheeseburger is actually one place where processed cheese slices could be considered appropriate. But if you want to use real cheese, just bear in mind that the taste will be totally different. In some ways this is a great thing: the sky's the limit (I'm partial to a nice Black & Blue) but if you're expecting to simply replace Kraft singles with real cheese and have it taste the same, you'll be dissapointed.

it can be tricky to replicate the shiny-plastic-smoothness of nuclear cheesefood but you would probably be very happy with a very thick cheese sauce made from a bechamel base and a ton of chedder and maybe some colby.

just finished a pack of reblochon, shit's really good. it got better over time though as the crust kept evolving. is this how it's supposed to be - let it sit for a week or two to get more pungency?

shouldn't need a roux, just melt the cheese in a double boiler, then thin it out with cream or milk till you've got the consistency you want. you'll only need a roux if you over thin the cheese

for pungent try roquefort. i generally like pungent cheeses but the roqueforts i've tried have been overwhelming. excellent in small quantities though

yeah roquefort is great

Not that brie is extraordinarily complex or anything, but if you think cheese whiz is a good comparison, no amount of any other cheese will help you.

And no, the FDA does not ban unpasteurized cheese, nor is unpasteurized cheese uncommon in the US. Like a goddamned reddit kobe beef circle jerk spouting all sorts of nonsense.

user, that store has been closed for twenty years!!!

>And no, the FDA does not ban unpasteurized cheese

You are misinformed.

latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-new-fda-regulations-cheeses-20140903-story.html

accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_7.html

The us does allow for some unpasteurized cheese to be imported, but it must be aged longer than 60 days. Any cheese made from unpasteurized milk and that is less than 60 days aged is subject to an outright import ban.

>the FDA does not ban unpasteurized cheese
dumbass, unless you meant "the FDA does not ban ALL unpasteurised cheese" in which case you are technically correct

I don't think the guy you're replying to understands how different cheeses have different optimal times for eating. He's probably from Wisconsin, where the concept of cheese went to die a modern death free of scary bloomy rinds, strong odors, runny centers, or anything of the sort

>Hurr we troll gub!
Those cheeses were not banned, and especially not because they're unpasteurized. There have been batches of imports that have been sent back due to other issues besides not being pasteurized.

Is wegmans brie any good for pasteurized stuff?

>tfw like brie, but think the rind is disgusting and only eat the inside part

Am I pleb?

Brie and any other mouldy cheeses are glorified cheeze whizz that just tasts progressivly more rotten and buttery the older the cheese gets.

Get yourself some well aged hard cheese. Maybe even one thats been salted allot like Pecorino Romano.
Shit even a Old Gouda or some Old Cheddar will do for starters.

I would start with something like Parmesan.
No not ground up rinds that have been raped by several dogs like picture related, but a propper block of Parmigiano Reggiano 24+months aged.
Just break it into little chunks and nibble on it.

Or idk some Gruyère if you want it to smell kinda potent as well.

yes

>glorified Cheeze Whizz

Cheeze Wizz tastes good though.

But its gourmand

Cheese labelling is no fucking joke the Canadian government is fucking hardcore about what % of milk it has to be to be called cheese, food, product, etc. There is an entire government website devoted to it.

I recently got a triangle of Parmagiano Reggiano that'd been aged for a good amount of time that I fell in love with and now put on fucking everything, does that help?

that's because of the chocolate chunks, the ones without any kind of chunks are labeled ice cream.

>what's the best real cheese to substitute for this stuff in cheeseburgers?

A mild cheddar, thinly sliced.

>There have been batches of imports that have been sent back due to other issues

>Hey cletus, what is this here funny smelling thing from France?
>Gee, I dunno billy-bob, but thems French are terrurists, aint they?
>Best not take the chance, send this shit back to Madrid.

How do you know? Had much jizz on your face.

get some new zealand cheese. more creamy than any american made processed crap. make a toasted cheese sammich taste the difference...

>The FDA banned cheese because it had bacteria

Good work guys.

are your cheeses more sheep milk based?

I had a coulommiers recently and was rather underwhelmed, reminded me of immature brie.

Also, anyone know a lot about Tomme cheeses? I have the biggest soft spot for Tomme de Savoie

Camembert smells like sweaty asshole. It's just so good.

how do you guys feel about deli cheese compared to kraft singles?

are they both shit? i grew up eating deli cheese

I'm French and I think Brie is one of the most useless cheeses, plus it comes from Jean-François "ultimate cunt" Copé's town

It's like a shit tier camembert

Isnt that just sliced flamenco cheese?

I once found a bag of chocolate chip cookies in CVS labeled as "Chocolate flavored chip cookies"

I'm still not sure what that's about

It's shit, but still leagues ahead of kraft

Basically you're eating wendy's instead of mcdonalds