No bullshit. Physic's PhD, is it worth it?

No fuckin around, is Physics even a good degree. I wanna hear from people who have finished and are at a point in life where they and many others can answer that question.

On one side:
>physics bla bla clever
>learn math and "analytical skills"
>basically become kinda clever

on the other hand:
>i could do a math degree and equals the same shit
>dont bullshit, because stats say online most phys grads end up with jobs with 36k at most (thats 50k for you americans)
>PhD cost even more shit, and to what? become a lab technician. yes becoming part of academia is okay, but what if it doesnt work out (job security wise)
>then your fucked.

Physics degree's arent really worth much are they?

>Reminder: Veeky Forums is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.

>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

im doing a phy degree, but talking about academia is apart of the discussion about science.

Can one survive in life by doing science as a job? especially a unmoving field like physics

>PhD cost even more shit
No they don't, they're funded.

>We all live in America

if you don't then your opinion doesn't matter anyway

the physicist's experiment is grounds for a device that increases wealth. the physicist is taxed for their struggle, the inventor is taxed for their struggle. ask yourself what money IS and you'll have your answer.

on the flip side what does a math major do once they've graduated: they go into FINANCE and help housing markets crash. they play the stock market BLIND. ask yourself what would happen if the person most knowledgable in physics, chemistry, astronomy, & geology would do if they played the stock market. that shit would be beneficial to all involved. but you don't hear about that because a bunch of ex math majors scooped up government jobs at a community college with their government funded masters which doesn't even produce the food on their plate

shit, what would happen if the most knowledgable person in the world in chem physics astronomy and geology went into GOVERNMENT
there's ur fucking answer
we're getting people overextending their reach. it's like people who use math to predict behavior-it's doomed because behavior is the one thing u cannot predict

You could theoretically predict behavior... but there is so many variables that it's basically impossible

your metaphysics is flawed.
we are either a) determistic b)have free will c)are a combination
if you dare disagree with me i'll tell u what u r

any attempt to predict behavior and ACT on it is immoral, you say that we can't use cars that produce smog? what happens if a 3000000 year old alien wakes up 5 km deep in the continental crust and starts vaporizing people in the vicinity all the while jamming radios in a ten mile radius, while your smoggy car can move just a little bit faster than the alien can?

When I was looking at studying physics I talked with a professor (he was a younger professor so had more relevant experience with modern academia). He told me that you basically spend ~10 years+ in post-grad limbo and since most universities aren't hiring tenure positions, unless you're the best of the best you're fucked. It'd be better to just do a degree in engineering or math and learn Physics in your free time and be a citizen scientist if you're truly interested in it (but good luck publishing papers because no one will take you seriously).

>dont bullshit, because stats say online most phys grads end up with jobs with 36k at most (thats 50k for you americans)

Since you even bothered to green text this I think you should look elsewhere.

why don't u max out your KNOWLEDGE and become and INVENTOR? go work at CERN and use it to build the next structural material

goddamn, 10 years to become a lecture

couldnt you of just said youre 'deterministic or have free will'? ratard

no, there's three options, you could have had free will with an increasing or decreasing mind due to what u ingest

u didn't even call me a retard right
i'll take ratard and call u a ghoul

this is the WORST idea i'v ever heard
you decide to become a citizen scientist, you haven't been properly introduced to the dangers of argon gas, you die, the people who find u die, etc. only a mathematician could afford person means of experimentation which is rediculous

Are you disabled? Are you lost or something?

personal* you pay ur dues and then u get to be in charge of other people's research, all the while doing ur own

you bring your ad hominem, I bring my, yea, whatchu gonna do about it? i'm sick of you people who CANNOT THINK

I bring you a moral absolute: choosing physics & or engineering or live as a sacrificer of others to yourself

How are my metaphysics flawed exactly?

because they are FLAWED. I cannot force you to think-if you are unable or UNWILLING to THINK no1 can do that for you. do you at least understand THIS!??!?!?!

I throw a question at you, and you will hopefully be humiliated if u answer wrong: can u SENSE SENSE the contents of another's mind??!

perhaps if you are SENSING your senses-as those are thoughts- perhaps brought about genesisally by your will. and this would be a shot. but not proof. you are not Edward Cullen, the fictitious mind reading vampire from "Twilight", you can NEVER know the contents of another person's mind-even if u were their Siamese twin

The answer is "I don't know". My on hand facts are "Environmental effects can radically change a person's cognition and various senses over time."

If you've ever been homeless, you don't get used to the smell of shit. It just grinds you in the heart and makes you madder. There is no magic fancy of free will that could make me not mad over smelling shit.

don't u bring up being homeless to me, I was homeless by choice. your "fact" is not a fact, but in fact an assertion. it is in fact religion

your "fact" that you cannot overcome your "nature" proves that you have not confidence in your own mind-self-esteem, or morality

No I cannot sense the content of someone else's mind

this is to anyone who has not sold out their mind: any man who claims man is deterministic is a dictator in disguise. he is a criminal. or his thinking is flawed and when you introduce him to mind/body triality, he will accept it because he uses logic. beware these men.

You say these things but yet.... you show no proof for it. I could just as easily say anyone who believes man has free will is a dictator, criminal, etc but since i've shown no proof the claim is useless just like yours.

Having a Ph.D. gives you better chances to get a job anywhere anyway.
Everyone wants smart workers.

>Everyone wants cheap workers.

Here, I fixed it for you.