First human head transplant set 8 months from now!

Do you think it'll work?? Has science gone too far??
sciencetimes.com/articles/11181/20170328/worlds-first-human-head-transplant-all-set-in-december-man-from-russia-volunteered.htm

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DBY25Owxm1o
scholar.google.com/scholar?q=regeneration of peripheral nerves electrical stimulation patent&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0,33
science.sciencemag.org/content/162/3852/460
youtube.com/watch?v=cPhBHZvJReQ
youtube.com/watch?v=TnKAwkbBiqk
youtube.com/watch?v=ahwy3-k5mEY
youtube.com/watch?v=vhDPaJsy_No
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a-qa-with-the-first-human-head-transplant-surgeon
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

if it works ill probably be more terrifid at what we've become than anything

im not a bible humper, but this is on mad scientist tier.

What, that is crazy. What are they going to use to reconnect the spine?

Is it possible to reconnect spines now?

Medfags get in here and help us understand some of this Tomfoolery!

Wouldn't it make more sense to call it a body transplant?

Spine. Sure, just need a few screws.
Spinal cord, no.

if it was even remotely possible we'd have a cure for paraplegics. It's not a serious idea

Medfag here, this shit ain't gonna work.

Im guessing the media blew this out of proportion. There is literally no way in hell this man will get to use this body. The understanding of the human brain and neurology just isn't there.

I just skimmed over the operation and I'm guessing that the purpose of this operation is to give this guy a new heart to keep the brain alive. The body is just there to keep the heart alive, and the heart will be controlled by a pacemaker.

tldr; They aren't giving this nigga another body, they're giving him aesthetically pleasing Iron Lung and Iron Heart.

This is absolutely going to fail. This probably won't even go through.

This is equivalent of trying to go to Mars when you just invented a steam engine.

boy, is that throat going to be sore

Will the head reject the body or will the body reject the head?

It won't work

we can't even reattach spines in people with severe spinal injuries

Not him, but there is no way he will be able to fuse the spinal cord.

The spinal cord is not as complex as people think. It's possible to reattach it under certain circumstances. The reason you cant reattach it when someone say breaks their back is because you would essentially have to remove part of it (the part that is not only severed/torn but punctured by bone fragments/foreign objects) and this removal of spinal tissue would cause the spinal cord to be too short to reattach.

The team in this operation however will not be doing that, they will simply be cutting at predetermined section X and mending the connection (most likely with stem cells).

t. Neurosurgeon

Spinal cord fusion with PEG-GNRs (TexasPEG): Neurophysiological recovery in 24 hours in rats

Conclusion:

In this preliminary dataset, for the first time, we report the effect of a novel form of PEG with the goal of rapid reconstruction of a sharply severed spinal cord.

Surg Neurol Int. 2016; 7(Suppl 24): S632–S636.
Published online 2016 Sep 13. doi: 10.4103/2152-7806.190475
PMCID: PMC5025948

I think the idea is that a controlled sharp severing of the spinal cord under ideal circumstances is very different from the pathology of most people with spinal cord injuries.

Well the bone marrow comes with the body so the body will reject the head.

What height are they cutting? Below C3 isn't viable really. Are they reattaching his vagus too?

I'm not directly involved so I have no idea what they are doing exactly, I just know its possible to reattach a spine as long as its not highly damaged.

desu everyone involved should be burned at the stake.

nothing special
youtube.com/watch?v=DBY25Owxm1o

>In the 1980s they successfully transferred the head of 1 monkey on to the body of another monkey.
>The monkey lived for a few months before being rejected by the body and dying.

>it's ok to get another person's liver/lung/heart/arm/whatever
>but god forbid, please NO, not anything more than that at the same time

You'd be too stupid to breathe if it wasn't a reflex.

It would.

>neurosurgeon
top kek yeah fucking right.

I am not sure that they will reattach. The patient is terminally ill and this (if it works) will save his life. I doubt he will be able to work out or anything. The body is there to keep him alive.

I would say it's not OK to do those either, desu.

Would it be mad scientist tier to replace limbs (arms) with robotic limbs?

What about waking up the dead with electric shocks?

Or or growing human organs in animals and using them to replace human organs?

Waking the dead with electroshocks is impossible once the brain decays.

>be about to die
>except if you take some organ from an already dead person
I really don't see why the hell not.

Also whose body are they using? Will they just wait till someone gets brought in who was shot through the head or something?

cuz "muh respect for the dead" I figure.

Yeah why not. Why take the lungs, the liver, the heart when it could be given to 4 other persons that could be saved. long queues for those shit.

Science has gone too far on this one.

Oh then I misunderstood you. Yeah I can see your point.

what is the actual definition/mechanic of a body part or organ being "rejected?" Specifically, why does it happen?

When the blood of two bodies mixes the antibodies begin to realize there is a foreign threat. Due to the head being a small cluster of cells compared to the body the overpowering of its immune system will be in favor of the new body.

The best way to deal with this is to culture a stem cell junction point between the foreign head and old body and paste it between the two.

would this stem cell contraption act as an intermediate step between the head and the body, like something that could convert the antibodies from one side to match those on the other?

Wouldn't this significantly impede blood flow and thus diminish pressure and cause the patient to go unconscious?

It depends on how far its taken, tbdesu.
Of course you are gonna have some rich, sick, fuck that steals children and transplants heads around and shit, but for the most part this will be good for, you know, getting one step closer to making our species immortal.

>Has science gone too far?
Not far enough. Where's my pollution eating machines? Trees don't work fast enough.

Yeah, organ rejection happens occasionally. Don't we have tests to reduce the likely hood of that?

What actually bothers me more is that we do have nerve system regeneration/innervation, and it's not that hard:

scholar.google.com/scholar?q=regeneration of peripheral nerves electrical stimulation patent&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0,33

And those are just the patents. Doctors are literally decades behind rehabilitation, and it really pisses me off.

If it's that easy then you could just replace someone's entire damaged part with a part from a cadaver.

It's scary that you are a neurosurgeon yet can't comprehend how to make something longer.

He's basically saying that a clean cut to the spine is much easier to reconnect than a mashed up one. I doubt this would work though and the patient will die when they put his head to -15C

It's still fucking dumb, because you could graft an extension onto the spinal cord with "clean cuts".

It's like you guys are fucking dumb or something.

Is it gay to masturbate someone else's penis if it's now yours?

only if u say no homo

what if you have hydrogen atoms in your penis that hitler once drank as water!?!?!?!?!?

does that mean you are jearking off the jew killer cause that'd be metal as FUCK

Life uh...
Finds a way.
No but in all seriousness what hopefully happens is that in this junction point the blood on the way in begins to slowly accept the new head and the blood on the way out slowly begins to accept the new body.

In theory it is stupid.
In practice...
well it is so crazy it just might work.

The "stem cell contraption" is non other than a specially crafted "glue" of sorts composed of a hybrid of the two cell cultures.

It is extremely experimental...

They keep saying this will happen in a few months time for a few years now.

This would reduce blood flow had it not been preprepared in a lab for flow and well....precautions been put in place...

>.>

>yfw this doctor is trying to pull off the mathematical equivalent of pic related.

Doctors are supposed to save lives, not use dodgy experimental research to mess around with patients' lives.

If the cord reconnects wrong and your hands become your feet, will your brain adapt to that?

Yes.
It is up to the frontal cortex to unfuck you at that point.

I wonder what would happen if you made an axolotl human hybrid stem cell culture...
Would it be able to replace anyones limbs when inside a favorable environment?

science.sciencemag.org/content/162/3852/460

Depend, are they moving the body from table 1 to table 2, or the head?

RESURRECT
youtube.com/watch?v=cPhBHZvJReQ

THUNDAGA
youtube.com/watch?v=TnKAwkbBiqk

FIRAGA
youtube.com/watch?v=ahwy3-k5mEY

>yfw wizards never died
>yfw they just relabeled themselves scientists

youtube.com/watch?v=vhDPaJsy_No

This is the beginning of the dankest meme.

>Update

Soon magic shall return to Gaia in its fullest form.
We are awakening from our slumber.
The ancient ones approach.

>inb4 all the billionaire 80 year olds mysterious acquire new bodies and live on be 130+

This cannot be good...

Where are they getting the guy's new body?

Who is paying for the operation? 11 million bugs for an experiment is quite a lot.

I was thinking maybe some guy who is braindead? I guess they would need to plan the whole thing beforehand so they cannot get a organ donor's body.

No wizard would be complete without his precious monster and creatures.
Soon we shall bring back the races that man in his errent lust for power destroyed.
The return of the cyclops, the centaurs, the elves, the beast men, the orks.
The rebirth of all that was taken from our mother. Gaia's vengeance enacted through our hands.
Wrath. WRATH.
WRATH!

some dude donated his body for him to use

We're on the verge of reversing aging using gene therapy so I doubt they'd resort to a radical procedure such as this

when I first read about this they were saying he would still be a quadriplegic and the new body is just to keep his head alive because his own body is failing, but now they are talking about making him walk

somehow I have my doubts

If it is a perfect donor body and if the doctor makes the impossible possible and reconnects the spinal cord then it is possible.

If it succeeds, it will be very good news considering islam getting foothold around the world.

You'd need a living donor that's a match for a graft, you fuck turd. You can't take tissue out of a body that's been dead for more than a couple hours. The cells die. Bone begins to rot. The process is irreversible.

>is it worth it
Yes, I can finally become an immortal by taking other peoples body Jojo bizzare adventure style
>has science gone too far
its never far enough

Is it really that easy to pitch shit like this to ethics?

/pol/ was right

Doesn't he want to live anymore? Or will they place his head on the muscular atrophy body? lel

What's unethical about two consenting adults agreeing to partake in an experimental medical operation? Especially if one of them is about to die anyway.

That translation is hilarious

>his head will be frozen to heal from bleeding out
>Meanwhile, because of the possibility of undiscovered levels of insanity that might occur after the operation of transferring a foreign head, scientists finds a way. With a team of programmers who developed a virtual reality system the expected problem that will arise will be given solution abruptly.

the part where the have to kill a guy to get the other body

>undiscovered levels of insanity that might occur after the operation of transferring a foreign head, scientists finds a way. With a team of programmers who developed a virtual reality system the expected problem that will arise will be given solution abruptly.

I think he died of something but his body was left usable.
Can't say for sure whether the dude himself gave consent or if he was brain dead and his family gave permission.

So they have not even done this successfully with dogs or monkeys first? Are they planning to? Seems like the obvious first thing to do to prove that it even works and maybe to practice the procedure.

South Korea severed the spinal cord of a dog and then reattached it and apparently it gained it's ability wag it's tail in three weeks

The head transplant team did it with a monkey, but they didn't reattach the spinal cord because they wanted to test if the blood supply worked. It did but they kept the animal alive only 20 hours because of ethical reasons.

Says who?

what is the percentage of this being successful?

on surgery?
probably closer to 100%
on long-term survival?
probably less than 1%
that's my estimation anyway, that's based on nothing

I dunno fiddy fiddy?

This shit hasn't been done before.

This is some Frankenstein tier shit

I am excited, to say the least

No, because they aren't your hands either

Depends on what you mean by successful
If all you want is for the patient to survive, then sure this might actually work, for a while. He's not exactly going to be tap dancing though.

According to different sources there is a guy that have figured out a way to reconnect a spinal cord , buy kinda directing the body to where it is supposed to grow itself back together.
The body would reject the head, but they are also saying that he will need to use some kind of drugs to keep this from happening.

I don't really care. It's not going to make you liver forever, you probably have reduced functions if any, and only the super rich will ever be able to afford it.

That which is not dead but can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.

So it will work, he just won't have control. But the head transplant will work.

Or body transplant.

Even if they could successfully graft the two spinal cords together, I'm visualizing it as a bundle of wires, where they then have random wires connected to each other, so when the patient wants to move his left toe he actually shits himself and when he tries to shit he will stop breathing. Is my understanding too simplistic?

this

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a-qa-with-the-first-human-head-transplant-surgeon

the guy is just a transhumanism zealot

severing a dogs spinal cord and reattaching it isn't the same as attaching its head to a different body at all. There's no way the spinal chords are exactly the same. Something is bound not to fit properly.

There's something wrong and unethical about this. Gives me the heebie jeebies

I don't get how this would Work. It seems like a huge meme.

>the guy is just a transhumanism zealot
The doctor also refuses any peer reviews of his experiments and hasn't even proved he can reconnect the head of a monkey. The person will die. Now I understand they are dying anyway, but do no harm is not followed here at all.

>wrong and unethical

Take your bullshit beliefs in flying spaghetti monsters and show them the door.
This is where the real science happens.

this is Veeky Forums

If we're going full-mad scientist here, they should attach the head to the body of a black woman