I feel like I shouldn't keep studying philosophy

I feel like I shouldn't keep studying philosophy

I'm afraid I'm gonna go mad from knowing too much

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q0zmfNx7OM4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No no, the madness comes of realizing nobody actually knows shit

then you cling to some comforting ideology to stop yourself from sinking into the abyss

Or you grow wings

>studying philosophy to learn objective, ontological proofs of life

that's where you're wrong, you should study philosophy to challenge your prexisting beliefs.

This. Philosophy's only good for knowing less and less

You just need to break through and go deeper

take a study break retard

stop shitposting like this it's not funny

you'll be fine, OP. Philosophy just starts getting more interesting the more you realize you don't know that much.

Philosophy, much like life, it's an endless act of destruction.

And yet here you are on Veeky Forums because for the life of you, you couldn't produce a single example of what all your knowingness has earned you.

And you may get a wooden leg taken

Doubt and questions that only philosophy can (try to) answer will still be bothering you. Maybe even make you go mad

Unironically this.
Did 4 years of philosphy in uni, left with a hell of a lot more questions than when I entered. No regrets though.

>study philosophy to challenge your prexisting beliefs
to what?

>family guy gif
>knowing too much

don't think so m8

You can read all the major thinkers from the Greeks to the contemporary ones, and you end up back at "I know only that I know nothing".

What did you read that made you feel like this?

Maybe he realized that knowledge and appreciation of Veeky Forums are not mutually exclusive?
That is enough to drive anyone mad.

get a load of this embryo
the ride never ends, have fun

Trust your instincts, user. Philosophers are generally very unhappy people. Most philosophers and by extension most philosophies aren't aimed at happiness.

Where do I start with philosophy? I want to feel like OP feels but when I try to read philosophy it seems to be senseless charlatanism (which I imagine it's just me not understanding what they are trying to say). But I don't feel like I'm gaining knowledge in any way. So where should I start if I keep encountering this problem? (btw I am a pure mathematics PhD student if it helps, focusing on logic, particularly set theory.)

Please dont meme me with the greeks.

>(btw I am a pure mathematics PhD student if it helps, focusing on logic, particularly set theory.)
There's no hope for you, just stop trying. Autistic people always have difficulty with philosophy.

Wiki articles, books, youtube videos, etc, there's a lot of content out there

Wasn't Nietzsche, like, the biggest austist in history though?

School of Life on youtube has some good videos, most are kinda bullshit though.

youtube.com/watch?v=q0zmfNx7OM4

I thought this was happening to me but it turned out to be just mental illness. Now I can't separate my philosophical views, which I spent about 8 years developing, from tendencies towards mania, so I gave up on it.

I was never all that good at it anyway so it isn't a great loss. Though now I have literally no confidence in any of my beliefs which is a weird feeling.

Which others do you like? Which do you dislike?

Start and end with the translated works of Han Feizi. Literally all you need. If you desperately need more read some of Robespierre's speeches.

On a second note, i think i wouldn't feel like it if everyone could read philosophy

>Please dont meme me with the greeks.
That's like trying to learn math and saying "please don't meme me with basic arithmetic"
>stemfags

Would you say all philosophy builds up on the greeks and is incomprehensible without previous study of them?

yes

You'd be wrong.

Oh user.... you have peered into my soul.

>then you cling to some comforting ideology to stop yourself from sinking into the abyss

Careful user.

read Heraclitus before anything else. seeing as you understand logic, move immediately from him to Fichte, then Kant. From Kant, go either
Hegel/Schopenhauer or Nietzsche/Kierkegaard. have any recs on set theory? i'm very interested.

How much logic/mathematics do you know already? Kunen's books "Foundations of Mathematics" and "Set Theory" are amazingly good, but they would require some previous knowledge of mathematics. (Both assume fluency in mathematical reading and Set Theory assumes a lot of general topology.)

>from kant, go either Hegel/Schopenhauer or Nietzsche/Kierkegaard

doesnt Hegel/Kierkegaard or Schopenhauer/Nietzsche more sense?

Have you tried Language, Truth and Logic? Has been surpassed 100 times by now but I think it would be very appealing to a mathematician and is written in an accessible style despite being difficult.

Chances are you're going to go mad regardless if you continue learning it or not. You can risk the consequences of living a life un-inquired for most of your life and one day and find yourself in folly of what you have done or commit yourself blindly to some un-examined ideology that is damaging. Kind of like Don Quixote in both ways.
If you were happy and content, you wouldn't have gone inquiring into philosophy. And if you continue being unhappy and content, but don't continue with philosophy, you're just at the same risks as with philosophy but in an inefficient and handicap way. So the answer is either to use philosophy for some consolation that makes you feel better, or coincidentally become happy and content in some other way (which you won't the answer to that here).

my advice to you is to stop questioning life and start living , experiencing and other stuff,don't try to lock youself in your mind.

Like "Why did I go into debt/waste mommy & daddy's money to learn what amounts to toilet reading fun facts instead of any marketable skills?"

>Philosophy
>Not an autistic pursuit

>studying philosophy
>learning

pick one

>philosophy
>knowing too much
Don't worry, son. Maybe if you were studing math, or anything of worth.

this

Not him, but I got my job through my Philosophy degree, not my CS degree

That's a lot of wrong assumptions senpai.

>I'm afraid I'm gonna go mad from knowing too much
then study engineering and use all that useless knoeledge

we all know gravity is real. you know you are alive, don't you? you know what foods taste good to you. You are experiencing mania, that's good. That's fine, me too. All children are maniacs and is it not the pursuit of a true philosopher to return to that childlike state of mind??

>he "studies" philosophy.
>afraid he knows too much

You're only educated when you realize how little you know. This is literally the very first lesson of philosophy. How pseud are you?

1. Descartes Meditations
2. Plato complete works
3. The Empiricists (read the complete works of Hume)
4. The Social Contract
5. Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes
6. Discourses on Livy
7. Kant's Critique of Pure Reason

This was my "beginner's" progression
There's still so much to read though. God damn I love philosophy. You should definitely check out the complete works of Spinoza too after reading Kant. This is what I did as well.

Your problem is you are reading for the sake of reading. To tick a box that says you have 'read' that book. But you haven't really read it. You haven't digested the information of worth. You haven't comprehended it. You have just read words and carried on.

This results in you having brief thoughts and ideas but no deeper meaning to them causing you fear, anxiety and severe diareah.

Literally just skip up to Wittgenstein

>Reading Philosophy
>Without even attempting to actually make philosophy
Why?

Plz don't do this^

Just find a philosopher whose ideas you think are cool and learn more about them and their works.

WHy would you do yourself the disfavor of not studying the Greeks first? Especially as a math fag you will love Plato and Pythagoras

You're just a weakling

maybe. i organized them based on likeness in thought. german idealism / existentialism.

cool, i'll definitely check them out. i only did up to calc in high school and have been doing generals in college since, but i have taken courses in symbolic logic as well. what school do you study at?

yeah that's also a good idea. but i personally skipped straight to Nietzsche at 13 like everyone else (yes, i did read Zarathustra first, and i did stop reading after book 2) and i ended up knowing nothing until i went back and read works pertaining to more basic thought

D I A L E C T I C S

how do you know they are mania? did you make some leaps instead of logic all the way through?

Alain Badiou, Being & Event.

>claims to have studied philosophy
>>accepts posicuck "diagnosis"

bertrand russell's history of western philosophy

it's pretty accessible, and if you know about math you'll probably enjoy the angle he takes