5^x ≅ 1 (mod 4)

5^x ≅ 1 (mod 4)

My mind was blown when I produced this for an unrelated math problem.

proofs?

5 ≅ 1 (mod 4)
5^x ≅ 1^x (mod 4)
1^x = 1
∴ 5^x ≅ 1 (mod 4)

more generally you have a^x = b^x mod a-b

yes, you create the modulus by subtracting residues

I came about it form this problem:
prove 4 evenly divides 5^n - 1
>prove 4 | 5^n -1

I love modular arithmatic. I proved a general equation that determines if a 'evenly divisible' statement is true or not. it must be in this form to be true:
>M | (m+r)^n - (m-(m-r))^n

this must be true for all integers m,n and for all natural numbers n.

4 | 5^n -1 ∵ m=4,r=1
>4 | (4+1)^n - (4-(4-1))^n
>4 | (5)^n - (1)^n
>4 | 5^n - 1
∴ true

>a^x = b^x mod a-b
I like that

[math] n^{x+1} = n \cdot n^{x} [/math]
[math] = n^{x} + n^{x} +\ ...\ +n^{x} [/math]

By the linearity of mod,
if
[math] n^{x} = 1 [/math] mod [math]m[/math],
then
[math] n^{x+1} = n [/math] mod [math]m[/math].

Of course, if [math]m[/math] is one smaller than [math] n [/math], then
[math] n[/math] mod [math]m[/math]
is [math]1[/math] again.
And by induction it holds for any [math]x[/math].

[eqn]5^x = 1 + 4 \sum_{k=1}^x {x \choose k} 4^{k-1} [/eqn]

read a book about number theory you putrid retarded piggot (pig + faggot)

modulus wasnt prime tho, and this needed to work for every p, not just p's that are not multiples of k

but that theorem has nothing to do with what he posted

>5^x ≅ 1 (mod 4)
my math teacher doubts this. she doesnt think its true.
she actually wrote that my proof was wrong because she didnt think that was correct.

I have one stupid math teacher

That's also a very nice way to approach it.

We may point out

[math] a^{n+1}-b^{n+1} = (a-b) \sum_{k=0}^n a^k\,b^{n-k} [/math]

resp.

[math] a^{n+1}-b^{n+1} = (a-b)\prod_{k=1}^n (a - b \cdot e^{ 2\pi i \ \frac{k} {n+1} } ) [/math]

(the latter being "evident" if you can use the fundamental theorem of algebra)

and set a=5, b=1

I like this method

Did the rich kids bully you again today, user?There, there, you go and put that dumb piggot in his place.

>she didn't think it was correct
how the fuck does someone that retarded land a position in education?

>fermat's little theorem is unrelated to blah blah blah
brainlet piggots (pig + faggot) detected

pic related is a generalization of the previous pic, piggots

California university, my friend.
I actually am planning on going by her office with a proof of just that one line

you've now posted two theorems that have nothing to do with what OP posted

are you just posting random things from babby's first elementary number theory text? do you even know what the theorems say?

>tfw I am taking a number theory class with a professor who always says he will do the proof from an algebraic perspective instead of from a number theory perspective

God fucking damn now I understand him. Look at that disgusting computation. DOT DOT DOT AM I RITE GUISE XD.

God damn, number theory was a mistake. I am so happy I was born in a time when algebra already saved the day and I can prove all theorems with group theory and I can just use pure number theoretical arguments when I need to solve problems.

Like seriously, the algebraic proof for this is so beautiful and straight forward.

I think you don't. Piggot detected.

What's worse is that you humiliated yourself by saying that the theorem you don't understand is elementary. You're a brainlet and I proved this by letting you prove it.

>What's worse is that you humiliated yourself by saying that the theorem you don't understand is elementary.
you just exposed that the only number theory you know is elementary number theory

nice work brainlet.

Man why are you writing in all caps no need to yell. Rewrite your reply and i will read it then.

Not true, brainlet. Me mentioning a basic theorem in number theory does not mean that this is all I know. How did your brainlet mind come to that conclusion?

Is all my vocabulary represented only by the words that I have written here in this post? That's absurd, you brainlet.

i called the theorem a theorem of elementary number theory and the fact you didn't recognize this as such makes it clear you're not aware of anything past the most basic of number theory

try again brainlet, perhaps when you've opened a book or two on analytic number theory, algebraic number theory, arithmetic geometry and modular forms.

i'll be waiting.

hey i can use caps too

WHATA FUCK MAN xD i just fall of my chair cuz i couldnt and i CANT stop laugh xDXDXDXDXDDDDDXXXXXXDDDDDD OMGOSH DDDDDXXXXXDDDDD DDDDDD LOOOOOOOLLLLL FUCKIN HOLY SHITTTT I CANT JUST STOP LAUGHING CAUSE HE HE HE HE HE JUST TO FUNNY MAN!!!1!11!

HOOOOOOOOLLLLLLYYYYY SHIT i just fall of chair!!!! simply le epic so ebin dae le epin win xD pwn’d ftw le bacon narwhale xP upboated good sir i tip my fedora to you! tips fedora, le any1 athiest? LOL

GOOD MEME

SORRY I MEAN

GREAT MEME

GR88888 FUCKING MEME BRO I WISH I COULD STOP LAUGHING BUT I CANT MAN!!!!

NICE MEME IMMA REPOST TO REDDIT LELELELELE TY FOR LE KARMA XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

XD

LE UPBOAT

XD

WAIT TIL LE DERPINA HEARS ABOUT THIS

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

EPIC MEMEING /b/ro BAZINGA BAZINGA BAZINGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ZIMBABWE is this a le new epic meme? screen kapped for dat sweet karma xD. FUS ROH DAH!!!!!1 i used to be a christmas but then i took an arrow 2 da knee :^( BAZINGA BAZINGA ZIMBABWE. top kek, toppest of keks. le nyan cat? hahahaha le mayonaise. fucking epic ass meme i love that fucking meme so much man wait let me just gets crack pipe out smoke some of that good 420 shit :) rips a bong

OP started a thread about a very basic concept in number theory concerning the prime number 5 and the composite 4

what did you expect to find in this thread, honestly?

you brainlets are amazing

>what did you expect to find in this thread, honestly?
not brainlets spouting off unrelated theorems like fermat's theorem or euler's theorem

I didn't expect to find in this thread brainlets who did not understand basic number theory but I did. What can I do? Such is life. Brainlets are everywhere, even on Veeky Forums.

Perhaps first try to understand basic number theory before coming and enumerating random fields that employ number theory like a defective printing machine.

who doesn't understand basic number theory here other than you? everyone seems to understand OPs result except you posting unrelated results

Wow. No sense in arguing with you anymore. Now you're starting to directly use ad populum arguments to insult me.

The point is that you don't understand basic number theory and no amounts of insults can change that, brainlet. You don't even understand what a fucking prime number is and what is the relationship between composites and primes and why 5 behaves the way it does in OP's example.

You just said "oh it's true cause of the rules". You don't analyze the rules you just eat it up like a stupid piggot and assume it's true instead of trying to understand it. You don't understand shit. End of discussion.

>. You don't even understand what a fucking prime number is and what is the relationship between composites and primes and why 5 behaves the way it does in OP's example.
OPs example requires no use of primality. (note that none of the first three valid explanations/variants before you posted the irrelevant fermat theorem mentioned primes)

try again brainlet.

looks like that b8 worked well m8
another Sunday well spent
enjoy your you've earned it

enjoy your Veeky Forums it;s the same thing, piggot

Not quite. /h/'s community is slightly more intelligent

digits confirm