Statistics hard?

Any other statistics major here?

I'm not sure whether I'm stupid or is statistics really supposed to difficult?
Even math is way easier.

t. freshman

Other urls found in this thread:

bls.gov/ooh/math/statisticians.htm#tab-8
bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/physicists-and-astronomers.htm#tab-5
bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Is it harder to justify inductive reasoning than deductive?

You tell me.

Most math majors dismiss it because "it's corporate stuff xD", but I still have nightmares from my stat and prob courses. Shit's fucking hardcore.

I'm a physics student so I'm not very good at maths, but I did a minor in statistics
It was piss easy

the most difficulty in frequentist statistics stems from the fact that it is an unnatural way of thinking for people

most people who have taken stats courses still misinterpret what basic things such as p-values and confidence intervals actually mean

also >stats major
dude wtf
how can u major in stats

>Shit's fucking hardcore.
T-thanks. Fuck, it's discouraging. Maybe I just do not have the genes.

Europe.

And do you think physics is hard?

b-bump

For me it is
If you're OP: I think it's difficult for everyone to get used to the way of thinking that's required for one's specific major
For me my first couple of semesters were extremely hard and it has only gotten easier since

I see. Yeah physics is hard for me too, but pure math isn't.

Here's a devils advocate. If it's hard for you, why not choose a major easier such as finance?

>that thiccness
I would live inside that woman...

that is one strong leg

>stats is harder than math :3

you're retarded

You ain't seen nothing yet brah...

Op here. Not even trolling.

I love physics and I feel that pushing myself will pay off more in the end

>fake ass

I hate this new trend.

how is this even possible. whats her name?

She looks like every professor I've ever had a crush on.

brehs...

I wish you much success.

Not THICC enough, sorry.

I may require more proof...

The proof is out there

What kind of person would smile when posing in front of a cemetery?

Statistics is not hard, it is just dry and boring. Common pitfalls are found in the interpretation of statistics; those are easy to evade.

Its not hardcore. you got memed.

You got me. I clicked in the expectation of zooming in a lovely woman.

>t. Topologist who thinks verbose is difficult.

>boring
Well that's one thing I disagree. I think it's really interesting.

that's i s k r a she's just thicc

dude just... dont.
dont reveal the ticcwaifus

>it is just dry and boring
It's not, you probably don't know any statistics beyond the run of the mill t-tests and univariate regression

What do you think is interesting in statistics? What are the charms?

did someone say thicc ?

Theory can be a bit boring but applying it to something you research is very interesting. You can get answers to anything you want.

forgot my pic

And get any result you want. Just keep trying. N.S. results in your anova? Apply a covariate. Still not getting what you want? Apply another one.

Appreciate it.

>THICC threads on Veeky Forums

better than 90% of the other shit on this board tbqh fampai

Study statistics and thickness maybe granted to your wife.

no ass is thicc enough fampai

Physics fag here. I agree. I got straight A's in all of my math courses, even got a 99 in calculus 3. Aced Differential Equations the works.

But it took me like 2 years of self-doubt and pain to understand how to solve physics problems. They're so different.

>And get any result you want. Just keep trying. N.S. results in your anova? Apply a covariate. Still not getting what you want? Apply another one.

>ANOVA
>covariate

kek of course you would think stats is boring, you're spouting terms from an introductory applied regression class

I would eat her shit.

Statistically speaking, yes.

Oh fuck that's what I call thiacccc. But not thicc enough.

bump bmpu

I believe you

What is statistics major's curriculum? I'm not in statistics myself but I've had Stat 101, Statistical Analysis and Econometrics. Just curious because it's interesting af.

Stats is mindfuckery to anyone who hasn't received training. That's why people have designated statisticians to process their data for them.

BRRRRAAAPPPPPPP...tee hee so sorry user...so as I was saying, the central limit theorem gives PPFFFFFFTFTFTFTFTFF a quantitative measure of the asymptotic fluctuations of the SSSPLLORRRCCCH *plop* sample means of iid measurements around the "true" (population) mean. heehee...so sorry about the smell :)... Complementing this is the BRRRRRRRPPPPPPPTHTHT law of the iterated logarithm, due to Khinchin and Kolmogorov, which *gurgle* describes the behavior of the sample mean at an asymptotic *brap*...oh sorry, so unladylike of me :( scale in between that of the law of the large numbers and the CLT. It is an interesting [math] \textbf{BRRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPP}
[/math] question to generalize the LIL to more general settings, such as percolation *burp* models or free probability theory.

oh dear....i've made such a mess. now it's time for you to lick it up! open wide!

>freshman
what the fuck do you know about math then?
math is hard work. hard, good statistics is math.

Is it learnable ?

T. Brainlet

do you know the basic premises of stats?
Whats actually happening when you look at data?

Yes, but only if you are at least slightly autistic. But since you are posting here, you exceed the requirements.

Yes. Im just wondering whether people average in math should even pursue ir.

I don't know about your school, but at my school, there is a massive difference between a statistics major and minor. The major focuses much more on fundamental mathematics of statistics and actually understanding it; the minor focuses more on application, which might be why you found it "piss easy".

At modern institutions, Statistics is considered a separate discipline from mathematics, and hence has its own department.

>Statistics is not hard, it is just dry and boring. Common pitfalls are found in the interpretation of statistics; those are easy to evade.

How many courses in statistics did you take, desu?

You can learn it superficially without too much trouble but a real deep understanding is very hard. Many of the ideas are very subtle and difficult conceptually.

It is so easy to mess up statistical analysis.

Also it verges into machine learning. So many traps and wrong paths to take.

LOWER DIVISION

CALC I,II,III
INTRODUCTION TO LINEAR ALGEBRA
INTRODUCTION TO REAL ANALYSIS
PROGRAMMING I AND II
DATA STRUCTURES AND ALGORITHMS
INTRO TO CALCULUS BASED STATISTICS
INTERMEDIATE STATISTICS

UPPER DIVISION

REAL ANALYSIS II
INTRODUCTION TO COMPLEX VARIABLES
NUMERICAL ANALYSIS
MATHEMATICAL STATISTICS
COMPUTATIONAL STATISTICS
LINEAR MODELS IN STATISTICS
OTHER STATISTICS AND MATH COURSES

I basically did the core courses of the stats major

Stats major of which school?

not a brainlet

Statistics is often a bit difficult to wrap your head around simply because you've been conditioned to believe in the brainlet interpretation the media shoves at you your whole life.

>interpretation the media shoves at you your whole life
can I get a quick rundown on that?

Do you have real understanding of it?

up anova

The lamestream media is constantly shoving frequentism down your throats.

ET Jaynes > RA Fisher XDDDDDDD

>come to Veeky Forums wanting to read about statistics
>find this thicc thread

yeah

Psychfag here not good at math at all. I've failed two classes ever and one was a math class and ones about to be another math class. Research stats is ridiculous hard but with enough focus and studying, I could have passed with a C or C+ at best.

it shouldnt be so hard. your just comparing means between 2 groups no?

just learn by example. its mostly procedural

basically no one in this thread has taken anything except a terminal baby-level stats class that doesn't do anything but teach you how to do a t-test

t. virgin who does not even study stats

bump

stats grad student here

statistics uses is way less "natural" and intuitive than math. It uses more heuristics. This makes it more useful but less "beautiful"

statistics is either hard or it isn't
50/50

please respond

failed stats in high school. became psych major. was required. i loved it. even took advanced stats and multivariate stats in order to pursue psych grad school. shouldve majored in stats. it just didnt click the first time. then, it changed my worldview and couldnt not be fasinated by it.

I don't know if it's any more difficult than pure math or physics, but statistical reasoning seems to be something that must be developed.

I have trouble when applying statistical thought even now. When discussing Monte Carlo simulation, I still have to really think about what we're doing, it's not automatic like applying certain mathematical knowledge like optimization.

At least you'll be pretty set op. Just don't fall to the dark side, always maintain integrity when interpreting results rather than allow you're corporate boss to push you into a different interpretation that makes their bottom line fatter.

>At least you'll be pretty set op. Just don't fall to the dark side, always maintain integrity when interpreting results rather than allow you're corporate boss to push you into a different interpretation that makes their bottom line fatter.
Thanks. I guess that's how world of today works

The people who meme about statistics being sophisticated lying have little knowledge of the subject beyond what they read on huffpo. As long as you're intellectually honest, I think you can have a good career in the field and maintain your moral virtue.

If you look at the salary for a stat major oppose to physics and computer science, statistics doesn't pay as high. Computer science and physics have 110,000 as their median oppose to stats being 80,000. Not only that but physics and computer science have a way high salary potential with the top 10% being paid around 170,000$ a year. 10% percent for stats is 130,000$ dollars. The reason being is because stats is easier if I had to guess therefore has less money in it. BLS recommends to double major in a second subject like computer science,biology, or applied math for getting paid higher than just stats major. Of course, if you don't really care about money, you can just major in stats and not anything else. I myself want to be stats and computer science in order to be a data scientist.

bls.gov/ooh/math/statisticians.htm#tab-8
bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/physicists-and-astronomers.htm#tab-5
bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm

Maybe in the Us. Still love statistics though.

You could have just pointed out I don't study stats

All 5 that were required for my psychology Bsc.

she looks like she weighs fucking heaps. how can you niggers be attracted to this? if she fucking queefs your dick will break

S-sorry didn't meant to hurt you.
I have taken lot of statistics tho. Never knew it was to be so rare subject in Veeky Forums.

I should have went into stats wasted my life
t. electrical engineer

As a student in a PhD program for Statistics, I can confirm that this guy is seeking internet validation to make himself feel smart.

He does this by dismissing other anons posts as trivial introductory courses, however he is truly dismissing his own validity in most subject matters.

In general people that make statements such as the following are not too bright, relying on misinformation or preconceived notions rather than fact

>"Anyone who does says or thinks x about y is z..."

And thus your post was discarded before I finished the first line. I encourage the rest of you to follow suit.

fuck, i'm not alone with this, thank god

Which country?