What are you reading right now?

Does anybody else encounter the feeling where they look at their bookshelf with excitement and yearning for what you still have left to read, but when you pick up a book, you get the sense that you're wasting time?

Often times if I don't do my reading early in the morning it's hard for me to actually sit down and do it without an intense desire to watch Netflix or go out. Logically, it makes no sense, but it's literally impossible for me to focus on reading sometimes for more than 1 minute before I decide to do something else.

Also, thinly veiled what are you currently reading thread.

I feel you, I always feel bored whenever I start something, not just reading but also homework and other stuff. I remember reading something online somewhere about it and it said that if you stick long enough with something, you'll start to enjoy it. Kind of like "Go for another swimming lesson billy, you fucking loathed the first one, but it'll grow on you". The example the author used was being on a bus for a long road trip. You are using your phone playing Meme Crush. You know its useless so you decide to look out the window and appreciate the view, but it get boring af pretty quickly. If you keep looking out at sights, you'll sooner or later enjoy it. But if you go back to your phone, you'll stay a worthless pile of shit. Its not just for literature, but pretty much everything you should be doing: writing, gym, or whatever .
Sorry about typos, in the phone.

I get that first excitement looking at my books but not the second part. I love to read. The negative feeling I get from reading is reading to slow to finish all my books. Its not even that bad. I cant read late at night without falling asleep eventually though. I'm reading actress in the house by Joseph Mcelroy.

Currently reading the Iliad and I'm completely hooked.

Athena is mai waifu

Also Im reading this.

I wanted to finally start reading Balzac today so I went to Barnes and Noble. They had no Balzac. I said fuck it, I'll finally read this Submission book. But They didn't have that either. Soni went home and didn't use the Barnes and Noble gift card I got for Christmas. Instead I started reading Garner's Modern English Usage, which I also got for Christmas.

Täällä Pohjantähden alla, Viipuri 1918.

I get that except watching movies/shows/netflix by myself. I can't focus and end up grabbing my guitar and playing around while watching. Books are actively engaging me so I have no trouble paying attention to them for long periods at a time.

Currently reading The Name of the Rose. It's fun. I get where people may think it's slow but I'm enjoying the lengthy theological discussions.

Order it online, it's cheaper.

Internet has killed our attention spans, so it makes things like reading hard.

Right now I'm reading Walden. It's very good. I love his social commentary/philosophy, but the parts where he talks about the technical side of farming is just kind of boring. And the bits where he talks about nature and the pond itself I think I'd appreciate a lot more if I had the same reverance towards Nature that he does, but I don't lol. Overall very good, if parts of it aren't totally relevant to city-boy like myself.

Rereading Demian by Hesse as I take a break from Guenon, Evola and Manly P. Hall.

Mein Kampf
It's very interesting

I love starting books, but I my attention span fuses out quickly. Usually late at night when I am staring at my bookcase I want to start everything.

Currently reading Don Quixote and Labyrinth by Borges.

>when you pick up a book, you get the sense that you're wasting time?

Definitely, my man. Especially if it's a slog and I have other books I really want to read. I'm reading Demons by Dosto. and it was hard to get through for a while. Now that the Society has been revealed though, it's gotten a lot more interesting.

The real problem seems to be our attention spans are nearly non-existent. We're constantly bombarded, our senses are overloaded, and instant gratification is always a click away. We have lost the ability to be content with just sitting or walking and pondering. But I find that I can retrain myself, but it will often go away quickly. The skill of patience needs to be maintained and therein lies the trickiness.

Also, started on Two Ages by Kierkegaard earlier tonight. Love me some Kierk and I can already tell this will be a comfy read.

Pathetic fake enjoyment. Kill yourself.

Ayyy I'm reading Don Quixote too. I'm only a few chapters behind the pic in the op.

>classics bore me so they must be objectively shit and anybody that likes them is posturing
You don't belong here amigo.

>Pathetic fake enjoyment. Kill yourself.
Have you read it, retard-kun?

Parts of the Iliad are still really good though because the same themes run throughout modern media.

The Sound and The Fury. Super confusing to start but I've definitely settled in. Faulkner's style is very unforgiving--brutal but nicely composed.

Have you finished benjy's section yet? Everything becomes much more clear after that. The first 80 pages or so of TSatF are a fucking wild ride the first time through.

Blood Meridian. I'm reading it super slowly though, mainly because it's my "read before bed" book and i keep going to bed drunk

The Count of Monte Cristo. With the reading group here.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 3. It's kind of comfy so far, the translation kind of makes Yang super boring though

>i keep going to bed drunk
Sounds comfy

Currently reading Don Quixote.
Surprisingly pretty difficult man, there's some long as sections that make my eyes glaze over.
And I read GR with no real problems.
I do like it though, absolutely hilarious and touching.

You need to go back

Thrilled with it so far

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SCENE IN DQ SO FAR

Only on chapter twenty, but the part when Don Quixote drinks that balsam and then pukes into Sancho's face, and then Sancho pukes on Don Quixote.

one of my all time favorites, a real "you are special" kind of book that always rouses my narcissism

Just finished A Hero Of Our Time which is absolutely fantastic, you start off loving the protagonist and trying to identify with him, but by the end you see that he really is an asshole

About to start The Rings Of Saturn by Sebald, and I'm super hyped because it's cover (see pic) looks super cool

yes, i'm almost done with it. i went back and reread big chunks of his section and it made tons more sense the second time. so much of what happens is shrouded in his shaky narrative that it's really easy to miss. crazy how faulkner can go from that to crystal clear story telling in an instant.

I just read the scene where Basilio crashes the wedding today and it was great. I was definitely not expecting him to jump back up off the sword, that was an actual oh shit moment. And then the near-battle scene where DQ defuses everything was sweet. The inn scene this user mentioned was my favorite until I read this one.
In general it's a hell of a lot funnier than I was expecting it to be, somehow Cervantes' humor seems fresher now than other stuff from the time period. The emotional aspect is also done well with a good balance between the two.
My only real complaint is how repetitive it is, many of the adventures are almost identical and almost every character's dialogue is obnoxiously circular even when it isn't DQ being a blowhard intentionally. I guess the constant repetition of the pattern of the two of them rushing into things and getting their asses kicked makes sense thematically, but it's gotten to the point that I sometimes lose interest when I realize it's about to happen again.

I'm a little further than you and to add to the comment on repetition, that becomes important later as you will start to see how Don Quixote evolves in the decisions he makes regarding similar events.

I don't think anyone is going to care about what I'm reading but I just finished Archimedes' on the equilibrium of planes today.

I am reading
-The Sand-Reckoner by Archimedes
-Euclid and His Modern Rivals by Lewis Carroll
-The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money by John Maynard Keynes

Trying to finish Inherent Vice, beginning Jerusalem

Notes from the Underground.

Going through it far slower than I expected, but it's an enjoyable read.

I disliked it.. I can't tell if it's Dostoyevsky being smug as shit or the character, supposed thats why people say its brilliant, also it feels like just a massive fucking projector and the change in the main character comes like, switching on-off a light bulb, then again I've never liked him as a wrter

right now Bruno Schulz stories cause i am at work and i could nring small books only. Its awesome, but then i come back to house to unfinished Aristotle book, and it will be hard boring and ungrateful

also i read Schulz in original, is this reason why i enjoy him more, while Aristotle sounds clunky and nonsensical in occassions? I started with a greeks, and i dont enjoy philosophy much desu, is there no other way to get to rabelais, kant, kierkeegard and other giants?

I get this feeling when reading fiction, but I usually enjoy much more than non fiction.

Currently reading books of blood.

Currently reading The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius.

I'm enjoying it but the neoplatonism can be confusing as fuck sometimes.

Reading Meditations by Marcus Aurelius along with The Count of Monte Cristo with the reading group.