Flat Earth Theory

Somebody redpill me on flat earth groups. What are their arguments and why are/aren't they tarts.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law
twitter.com/AnonBabble

flat earthers are a manifestation of pathological paranoia

The argument is "I haven't seen a round earth, so for all I know it could be flat"

Which is countered simply with "well OK, but what about everyone that says it is round, and has the resources to actually see it for themselves?"

Which is then answered with "EVERYONE IS LYING AND THERE IS A GLOBAL CONSPIRACY THAT THE GREEKS 2000 YEARS AGO WERE IN ON"

And then they make up a bunch of shit to try and justify the phenomena of everyday reality. Unfortunately for them, the round earth crowd is several thousand years ahead on proving their model

It appears to me that there are four basic flat-earth posters:
1) Joker tards trolling,
2) Someone devoutly reading and taking an oddly literal interpretation of the English translation of the Bible,
3) Someone genuinely functionally idiotic and/or delusionally paranoid,
4) Probers/trolls seeking responses containing calm intelligence, patience, and refutation of the nonsense with irrefutable knowledge and clarity of thought, possibly to see if there's intelligent life out in the net.

pretty much this

Globe "truthers" / round earthers / disc deniers all make the same fundamental fallacy: appeal to authority.

seems legit

There is no argument.
It's a manifestation of Poe's Law.

A form of trolling so extreme, about a "theory" so ridiculous, that it becomes impossible to distinguish who is trolling and who is seriously arguing for it.

I'd like to believe 99.9% of flat Earth posters are trolling, but who knows really?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law

>What are their arguments and why are/aren't they tarts.
Everything basically boils down to "I'll just watch at something really far and it doesn't look round" without having any idea of how big the Earth is.

Just an idea: for a ship disappearing behind the horizon to lean backwards by 1 degree, it must be around 100 kilometers far away. Not only is 1 degree way to small to be noticed, but at such a distance, even if you see the ship, the image is distorted by the atmosphere and looks like shit.

With a flat Earth, it would take a much longer time to circumnavigate the Earth in the southern hemisphere, yet that doesn't happen.

There is absolutely no way to explain lunar eclipses with a flat Earth. Each time I bring this up to one of these Wildburger-tier smart asses, I get no reply.

I really think this is nothing more than a [math]0.999\ldots \,\neq\, 1[/math]-like bait we should blame on vsauce.

>Somebody redpill me on flat earth groups.
the real redpill is if you are in STEM it is in your best interest to leave these people to their own devices and actually encourage their discourse.

the public at large being scientifically illiterate or even having retarded scientific thought processes is supreme job security and only furthers your petit bourgeois lifestyle.

Here's a red pill: the earth is flat. You're welcome!

Islam is a religion of piece. Everybody says so.

I read a neat article a while back about why people hold dumb beliefs despite evidence to the contrary. I think they used anti-vaxxers as the example.

Basically the idea was because humans are social animals, we get a dopamine rush from agreeing with each other and we like each other more. So there's a greater advantage to falsely believing something that your tribe/social group/whatever believes than seeking the truth. Ties neatly with the idea that we can only perceive something like 50-100 people as 'real' people because we evolved in small tribes, everyone else is 'others'. I think they call that theory the monkey sphere.

Basically, we're animals with animal brains and the 'truth' we see is filtered through that lens.

Flat earthers are trolling, just like you were, but you were slightly more subtle

Brainlet can't spell peace

it's actually pieces

Ariana Grande go away

Not trolling here, but, look around you. The Earth is not curved as we observe it, and since what we observe is real to us, the earth is not curved. If the Earth is not curved, then it's flat or flat-ish. It's kind of like talking about quarks n shiet, the average non-scientist doesn't look at the world that way.

This flat Earth theory is really an argument in semantics and philosophy than hard science. To meme it: "how can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real."

r u dum or somewhat

You can buy a simple telescope and do observations yourself.

"Flat earth" is the "ISIS" of conspiracy theories. A random mercenary of a theory, used to distract, disinform, or just shit up a good thread.

Most flat-earth posts are done by some shadowy "they" group that has something to gain. The other posts are gullible idiots and trolls feeding it along.

Ignore it user.

climate and flat earth are close neighbours

You're right. That must mean that 99% of all humanity has been lying about it for thousands of years! That's the only logical conclusion!

lmao brainlet. How's calc 1 treating you?

>here's this evidence
>nah it's fake, look, this pixel right here aint right

I like you.

Troll here. I love trolling people with flat earth irl, even though they think of me as insane.

Out of curiosity, what observations can you make with a simple telescope that show the earth is a globe?

people lose their shit when you do this irl 10/10 good shit

I think you give the average true blue flat-earther too much philosophical credit.

If earth were spherical, it would not be possible for the whole world to see Jesus comming back on a cloud. Therefor it must be flat.

Our eyes are not flat and gave those who try to hard looking to see what to them as a curve. While in fact is just an optical illusion and the world could not be other than flat.

If earth was a sphere Rockefeller or Branson would have made tunnels from Europe to Australia by now. Big money has not done that because earth is flat and not a sphere.

Take a bow

Do what, exactly?

Poor critical thinking skills and spatial intelligence.

Why would scientists and the goverment go through all the work of hiding the true shape of the earth?

>bourgeois lifestyle

Yeah, for starting salaries. Unless you live in a big city or have a family started already, you're in the upper class by the time you reach $70k, which is very much open to you once you have a couple years of industry experience under your belt. Even before that, you're at the top 50th percentile just starting at your first entry-level position. That's not even speaking for how much value you'll net if you learn to love your work.

We all know that climate isn't real, user; don't be stupid.

What I find most interesting is the fact that most people believe the earth is round, but almost nobody can prove why.

By all intents, people who think that the earth is flat and people who believe is round but can prove it are equality ignorant.