What are your opinions on GMOs...

What are your opinions on GMOs? I think we can agree that they aren't poisonous (as approved by FDA) or harmful to the environment (any more than traditional farming). Will they provide the world with more food per area farmed or faster strip resources to provide less over the long term? Will they be more susceptible to disease as monocultures, or will GM techniques keep them always a step ahead? Please, detailed feedback only. I won't read single sentence replies.

Other urls found in this thread:

pnas.org/content/112/18/5844.abstract
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_use_restriction_technology
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Boycott them for the time being. Food and genes shouldn't be patentable.

>Food and genes shouldn't be patentable.
You're a stupid commie niggerfaggot.

It's all fine while you're just making veggies more nutritious and more resilient
it stops being fun when you purposefully make them infertile and jew people out of money annually for more seeds, like Monsato does

The alternative is letting the genes spread without any method of control.
GMO's are basically invasive species.

But so are any of the crops we farm. We've been moving them around the globe for millenia. We also breed hardier strains, graft, and cross-pollinate.

I agree that infertile GMOs are ethically morbid, but that seems to be a problem for the farmers that purchase those seeds. There are plenty of other sources they could get seeds from. If people are stupid, there is nothing that I can do to help them. If their products are in the store, should I not buy and support them, despite that they are being economically enslaved?

How does boycotting or consuming impact patent law? Lobbyists don't necessarily have direct impact on the judicial branch in the USA. (I mean they do for state judge reelections, but federal judges are appointed and are supposed to be free of bias.)

I'm waiting for the genetic paleontologist to post a wall of text with information and evidence that no epidemics have occurred without large monocultures. Maybe the biologist can tell me how GMOs could increase biodiversity? Or the doctor talk about the dangers of crop dusting?

>could increase biodiversity?
Cancer.

>Or the doctor talk about the dangers of crop dusting?
It's pretty much a meme, the only potential harm is runoff.

We've been eating literal GMO for millenia.
pnas.org/content/112/18/5844.abstract
>We communicate the rather remarkable observation that among 291 tested accessions of cultivated sweet potato, all contain one or more transfer DNA (T-DNA) sequences. These sequences, which are shown to be expressed in a cultivated sweet potato clone (“Huachano”) that was analyzed in detail, suggest that an Agrobacterium infection occurred in evolutionary times.
>(...) these foreign genes are expressed at detectable levels in different tissues of the sweet potato plant. IbT-DNA1 was found to contain four open reading frames (ORFs) homologous to the tryptophan-2-monooxygenase (iaaM), indole-3-acetamide hydrolase (iaaH), C-protein (C-prot), and agrocinopine synthase (Acs) genes of Agrobacterium spp.
>IbT-DNA1 was detected in all 291 cultigens examined, but not in close wild relatives.

While there is nothing inherently wrong with GMO as a technology, it's current major application in making plants resistant to the herbicide glyphosate is cause for concern as they spray it all over our food. It's apparently safe for human use but it does actually affect our gut microbiome.

>GMOs are infertile
Why are anti-GMO tards so misinformed?

>but it does actually affect our gut microbiome.
pls explain

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_use_restriction_technology

He/she was just making the observation that some GMOs [i]could[/i] be unethical. Not that they are necessarily.

Sorry my [spoiler] phone [/spoiler] was about to die so I had to end my post quickly.

So the herbicide works by disrupting certain pathways for the synthesis of essential amino acids in the plants. Animals don't have these pathways so the glyphosate doesn't affect us directly. However our gut microbes do have those pathways so when we eat food sprayed with the glyphosate it does affect them.

Some say that this is the cause to the upswing of gluten intolerance, and autism, and linked to a bunch of other stuff.

He/she claimed that Monsanto makes infertile seeds, which is a completely false meme.

>>Food and genes shouldn't be patentable.
>You're a stupid commie niggerfaggot.
You're a stupid corporate bootlicking whiggerfaggot.

Patents last 14 years.
It is a non-issue.

>literal GMO
literal selection and nurture is not literal GMO
Lrn2gmo fgt pls

>Patents last 14 years
L0Lno fgt pls
try to keep up with corporate patent law

GMO's should be considered on an individual strain, not as a whole.

Yes there have been a few bad apples, but overall they are overwhelmingly beneficial.

>autism
>developmental issue
>a womb thing
wew lad. For fucks sake, vaccines have more merit than gmo's.
(delaying (and/or spreading out) your child's vaccines by a year or two only impacts your child) . Just saying.

Maybe in other countries, but in the civilized (read: american) world, no single patent lasts any longer than 18 years.

Wash your fucking fruits and vegetables, you lazy millennial.

Use furniture polish on your cabinets and repaint your house when the paint starts shitting up while you're at it.

>no single patent lasts any longer than 18 years
L0Lno
going from bad to worse

CiTaTiOn PlEaSe?

Patent law in the US is loopholed as fuck.
Pharm industry is a primary example of this, where you can patent a racemic mixture then patent each enantiomer when that expires.

It's actually 80 years for a patent

That's why I said single patent.

CiTaTiOn PlEaSe?

literal agrobacterium tDNA faggot
kill yourself

>Do My HoMeWoRk 4me PlEaSe

>agrobacterium tDNA
>for millennia
Lrn2spell-millennia fgt pls

Nothing is wrong with GMO's.
There are questionable practices such as patenting genes and Monsanto in general, but FFS anti-GMO folk are just as bad as gluten-free fags.

The FDA is a stupid, outdated, and corrupt organization that stifles economic and scientific growth and is run by big pharma.