It just occurred to me, most philosophers, even major ones...

It just occurred to me, most philosophers, even major ones, spend basically their entire careers reacting to a prior philosopher, either trying to refute them or taking their ideas and expanding them further.

Solipsists don't.

As opposed to?

It's almost as if we live in a deterministic universe where meatpuppets are not unmoved movers

yea thats because philosophy is the world greatest reaction thread

Literally the same thing applies to every field of human endeavour

Demonstrate this.

If all of philosophy was one big Veeky Forums thread, who would have the most (You)'s?

Plato or Jesus.

Yes because thats how humanity makes progress.

Spoken like a true NEET who has never even attempted to contribute to any field.

you're not the first person to think this

The majority of philosophy is just common sense written in a well articulated manner. The greeks basically sowed the fields of philosphy bare and everything after that is just edgy shit with no originality.

Every layman comes up with and contemplates at least a few big philosophical theories on his own without even knowing that the same thoughts made someone else famous.

Demonstrate this.

"Every layman comes up with and contemplates at least a few big philosophical theories on his own without even knowing that the same thoughts made someone else famous."

OR

The 'self-evident facts' that appear before the "layman" are the products of a shared language and culturethat is the dispersed and reassimilated thought of someone who actually though hard about the limits of their time's conceptual horizon. I honestly don't want to valorise the professionalisation of philosophical knowledge, but to say 'everything after [the Greeks] is just edgy shit with no originality.' is to dismiss the technical distinctions and nuance that the Greeks actually came up with.

deep

Diogenes for shitposting too much

elaborate. genuinely interested

Wow dude thats really deep

You should post this on /r/Showerthoughts

Deep meme my man

I want her to sit on my face

Kind of hard to come up with something brand new after thousands of years of thinking.

They spend all their time trying to refute world.

This is why Hegel makes the negative, nihilating aspect of thinking the basis of his work. Whatever thought takes hold of, it can't help but take it apart.

the anxiety of influence. Veeky Forums doesnt even know their own stupid maymays.