I have never read a book (ever). I'm 22. What would be something good to start off with?

I have never read a book (ever). I'm 22. What would be something good to start off with?

Don't get me wrong; I can read, but I've never sat down and read something. So please make it something accessible and nothing too Veeky Forumscore.

Blood Meridian
Heart of Darkness
Oblivion by DFW

>inb4 start with the Greeks

It would help to know some of your interests or TV shows, movies, music, etc. you already enjoy

Thank you

I enjoy thriller and suspense/murder dramas and that kinda thing on TV. Music is pretty varied though.

these threads aren't funny

go away

authors Kurt Vonnegut and Gabriel Garcia Marquez are also pretty good intros

In Cold Blood - Truman Capote

The Hobbit.
Volsunga Saga.
Nowergian Wood xOR Kafka in the Shore.
The Catcher in the Rye.
HP Lovecraft short stories.

McGuffey's first reader.
Spoiler alert:
Spot runs.

no you

Green Eggs and Ham.

The Hound of the Baskervilles

What do you like to do for fun? What are your interests? What books/movies/shows do you like?

Dostoevsky

Don't be afraid to read things you associate with edgy high schoolers. You have the advantage of being old enough to tell what's bullshit without spilling spaghetti everywhere in the process.
I liked reading things that are oft spoken about here just to know what the fuck was going on. You can always re-read so don't be intimidated if you don't understand something.
I'll suggest reading something like cliffsnotes or sparknotes to help with interpretation to start with, but they are training wheels you have to drop eventually.
Get a book of short stories (I think there's a reading group doing random short stories you should join in on) they aren't intimidating and can be just as rewarding as some novels.
Read as much poetry as you can.

not op but

>What do you like to do for fun?
watch movies, listen to music, lift

>What are your interests?
Secret societies/consíracy stuff, existential depressing stuff, techno

>What books/movies/shows do you like?
Lost, Leftovers, Fargo, Mad men
Bresson, Von trier, Wong kar wai, Haneke

noRMIE

w-why?

>pepeposter
Read Naruto or you can read the fucking sticky, faggot.

Your never gonna like reading if you listen to people here. Read dumb stuff for enjoyment Harry Potter for example. Then move up.

Sorta true, Read A Game of Thrones and if you like it read the series. It's easy as tits to read.

same here, difference me being fucking 26
I really want to be able to appreciate and enjoy literature the way i enjoy other art forms (painting/visual art and classical music) but i just can't get into it.

>but i just can't get into it.
Either you haven't tried hard (my bet) or you just can't read

Fucking great work.

The Turner Diaries & Hunter by Andrew MacDonald (William Luther Pierce)

ppl who grow up watching tv and movies all the time basicly let their brain rot
they cant imagine things
they can read, but they will be reading, they wont see what they are reading, hence it will be unenjoyable for them

Read some Bukowski, it's easy to read.

Read 'the girl next door' by jack ketchum

My Little fucking Caterpillar.
Spot the Dog
The Oxford Dictionary
Where's Wally?
The back of your cereal box
The inside of your eyelids

Start with this one, it will make you want to become patrician through reading

It's a book about wanting/being forced to rise above the common plebs, it's a book about people reading books

It's the perfect book to get into reading

Prove me wrong

only correct answer in the thread

youre trying to turn him into a redditor

Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut. Short enough to read in a few days and the language is easy enough.

the stranger by albert camus is super easy to read and a good starting place. I wouldn't start with blood meridian.

Meg dies after she gets her clitoris burned off.
Also it's bad.

>What are your interests?
>Secret societies/consíracy stuff, existential depressing stuff, techno
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick.
I think it hits these interests pretty well and it's short and simple enough to keep your attention. Blade Runner was based on this book.

>His first novel, 1991's Lee, received favorable reviews in The New York Times, The Los Angeles Reader and The New England Review of Books. His other novels have been praised in Chronicles: A Magazine of American Culture, The Quarterly Review and The Occidental Observer.
>...The Occidental Observer

/pol/ please go