Is it wrong to use drugs to write a novel?

Is it wrong to use drugs to write a novel?

I've been doing amphetamines to help me write more and quicker, and I've already finished half of my novel in a few days, but I'm taking a rest off the drugs now to not get into the habit of things.

Has anyone done this before? Did it effect your writing in a negative way?

writing should come naturally or not at all

"you're not a writer who needs drugs

you're an addict who so happens to write"

- me

Why?

""you're not a writer who needs drugs

- me"

-me

No
as long as the writing is good, doesn't matter how it comes

What type of amphetamines are we talking

Nothing too out of the ordinary. Ritalin/Adderall. Timid stuff, really.

I'm more worried about not being to write without it eventually. Not that I had any trouble not using it before.

Considering amphetamines to study, how did you feel when you used them? Was it hard to concentrate?

It was like magic. Hours passed like minutes. I got more done than I ever could've imagined.

Ayn Rand did it, I don't see what the problem could be

>what is tolerance

let me know how that works out for you

from experience, amphetamines do help you accomplish a lot. it is pretty useful to study in a short period of time. But, what you produce will probably be shit. you'll write a lot, but most of it will be gibberish.

good writing means editing and more editing. edit whatever you throw up on amphetamines and decide for yourself if it's worth to put your body under that much pressure just to complete a work fast.

I know a lot of writers that used drugs as a way to 'boost' through their limitations.

I'm just concerned about being no longer able to write without the boost.

The way I'm doing it is I'm taking a break from writing and the drugs themselves, so I can recuperate for a few days.

I read somewhere that S. King said that writing is one half writing and one half editing and you get the best results when you're drunk during one of the two. If you do writing on aderal then editing sober I think you'll be fine.

Any habit forming drugs are dangerous and you're going to thank yourself for not taking them later in life.

I had a friend in college that started on Adderall to study and came to need it to do any sort of work. He would do instant release tablets and extended release tablets at the same time in order to keep himself going.

He would feel like shit, all day everyday. He was rich though so it was easy for him to keep himself in the pills and on those he was essentially functional (but a little too obsessive).

Anyway, 2 years out of college, he works for a hedge fund and is making a lot of money but none of his friends from college have seen him in months. I've talked to him on facebook and he admitted to me that he's still using adderall in order to get through 12 hour weekdays at the hedge fund. He says everyone there is on all sorts of stimulants. It's common practice to spend what little freedom the investment bankers get, together doing drugs in clubs.

I don't know it all sound pretty depressing to me.

Stephen King sucks though.

>naturally

Nice fallacy.

if you take a break from writing AND the drugs then you will certainly be >no longer able to write without the boost.

If you need to do drugs to be creative than you lack true creativity

>Being this meme'd

So, Baudelaire lacked true creativity?

"""you're not a writer who needs drugs

- me"

-me"

- (You)

I'm not familiar with Baudelaire's drug use. BUT there's a difference between someone who is both a drug user and creative verses someone who uses drugs to inspire creativity. The two aren't the same thing. A true artist can create his art irregardless of whether he uses drugs or not

Well, drugs such as opiates and absinthe were key to the creation process of the symbolists. They were muses rather than compagnons.

thoughts about legal highs, like fluoroamphetamines?

The very well might have been sources of inspiration, but the inspiration only comes from the experience of the effects of the drugs. Without the underlying creativity of the artist those experiences could never manifest in the artist's work. That's what separates a great writer and drug user like Baudelaire from the average drug using bum on the street. Baudelaire is able to take his experience with drugs and apply it to writing using his creative ability. A common drug addict, lacking creativity, is not able to use his experience creatively.

>is it wrong

Don't write a novel, ever.

>to write a novel

There's nothing wrong with fucking around with drugs occasionally. If they help with writing then so be it. I do it. But if you are asking if drugs are a proper vehicle for crafting a novel then no. They aren't.

I'm with you on that one. That is not what is being discussed in this thread though. We are taking it for granted OP's work has some worth, for the sake of the argument (not that it changes anything anyways). The question is whether or not a work of art loses in value if in its conception exterior mind altering chemicals were used by the author. And in my opinion it doesn't change anything. A work of art is to be judged in itself, regardless of the context in which it was created, or the creator.

Read some PKD and find out where this will take you.

>irregardless

We've been memed.

You can believe that if you like but he's a successful writer and anyone who wants to be a full-time writer would envy his career.