Garlic and Onion powder

Why can't they be used and why does every cooking show use fresh garlic?

They can't be used? I've never heard such.

What's the difference?

huh?

they are staples in most recipes,

>McCormick

Down the food disposal it goes.

WHY ARENT THESE MORE POPULAR?

I use them both in dredging flour all the time. For fish, veal, chicken, you name it.

they can be used, but they don't taste the same as fresh. they have almost a slight bitterness to them. but they have their place in spice mixes, breadings as mentioned, and other things where you have a bunch of dry ingredients mixed together.

generally its better to use the real thing but they are great when you need a dry application but want garlic or onion flavor

like in breading for frying or a dry rub

They shouldn't be used as subsitutes for fresh since, unlike fresh v dried herbs, they somehow taste wholly dissimilar to their fresh counterparts.

They're moreorless fine to use as spices, but not as sub-ins for fresh. Better still: grind dry minced onion into fresh powder. Tastes way better than the pre-ground stuff.

>They shouldn't be used as subsitutes for fresh
I haven't ever used fresh garlic in anything I cook. 35 years old and I cook all my meals.

Okay, what's your point? I could point to someone who's never used salt in anything they cook and thinks there's nothing wrong with that.

They are just used differently. You used them in the case where you want it to be dry like rubs and crusts and things like that or where high heat would ruin the flavor of the fresh stuff.

Also good for savory biscuits, breads, and dumplings.

If you're from a culture that natively uses dry garlic, like American southern cuisine, that'll be your go-to, but if you're from a culture that natively uses fresh, like the various cuisines of the Med, fresh will be your go-to. If you're from a culture that natively uses both, like south Indian, Sri Lankan or west Chinese, you'll have uses for one, uses for the other, and the two aren't interchangeable. that's what I was trying to get at.

They're pretty good popcorn toppings.

onion juice is an underrated as fuck star ingredient. I ALWAYS use rub onion juice into beef if possible. I don't ever use garlic and beef together, onion is always the better choice.

garlic juice seems a little less useful, you get plenty out of just using fresh garlic but I guess a little bit could go a long way in soups and stews and maybe asian cooking.

Don't be a dick. There's nothing wrong with using garlic powder, it's just not interchangeable with fresh any more than cream is interchangeable with milk. They start out as the same product, but they diverged into two separate products with two separate uses

where 2 cop?

I'm not being a dick. Garlic powder tastes terrible compared to fresh garlic, so I know without even tasting it that your food is terrible. The only acceptable use for garlic powder is in a dry spice rub or for seasoning flour.

>inb4 "everyone who's tried my food has liked it"
Your family and friends are likely from the same uncultured shithole as you and haven't tried fresh garlic either. They don't know what they're missing.

>your food is terrible
>implying i'm the other guy
lolno.
I'm /All I was saying is that there's a place for dry and a place for fresh. Even you admit that much. So why are you being a dick to the other guy? I mean... you don't use fresh anchovy to make puttanesca over the preserved stuff, do you? Of course not. Because they're not interchangeable. Same idea.

Meh, I use both. If I think a dish requires less than one clove of garlic I use powder. I can't apply the same to onions because it has texture you actually notice unlike garlic which is almost always "beat the shit out of it and puree it and then add it".

Why not both?

That guy said he's never used fresh garlic in his life and implied that it meant fresh garlic was useless. I was just pointing out he was wrong. Also welcome to Veeky Forums sweetheart, everyone is a dick.

What did he say that was wrong, exactly?

best answer

This begs the question, why don't cooks just smash a few cloves and use a tea ball for stuff like sauce? Just jam a few in and you don't have to go through the mincing hassle. FUCK I hate cutting garlic....sticky fucking shits.

>Garlic powder tastes terrible
>The only acceptable use for garlic powder is in a dry spice rub or for seasoning flour.
Well which is it? Make up your fucking mind.

>That guy said he's never used fresh garlic in his life and implied that it meant fresh garlic was useless
What I think it really is. Not cultural, not superiority. Garlic powder is cheaper and lasts longer than fresh garlic. I'm just a poorfag, so that probably explains it best why I've never used fresh garlic.

This. Onion powder and you don't need much salt at all.

Uh garlic is around 70 cents where I live (US) and it has like 10 cloves. Plus it lasts a long time at least a month.

garlic is over used in western cuisine in general. I think its a lazy way of injecting flavor into a dish, rather than let the natural flavors of something shine through.

>I'm not being a dick
>proceeds to make it personal about friends and family
You're a dick