CK Challenge SAVORY BERRIES

Welcome to the Veeky Forums challenge: Monthly edition: June Thread 1!

The theme for this month is Berries In A Savory Context
If you can harvest your own berries, feel free to do so and show off.

Dishes are judged on the following criteria, so keep that in mind when planning and making and plating:

-Presentation: The appearance of items on the plate; plating skills
-Originality: Creativity in composing the dish
-Appeal: How appetizing the food looks/whether or not the dish appeals to your personal taste as a voter
-Challenge Goals: How closely the entry followed the challenge goal(s)

The distinction between Presentation and Appeal: If someone submits an artfully arranged but burnt steak as an entry, it may score high in Presentation but low in appeal.

>SAVORY DISHES USING BERRIES PLS

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=savory&oq=savory&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2255j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
youtube.com/watch?v=Rl5JDzvkEA0
vocaroo.com/i/s1KZwCENv5mB
vocaroo.com/i/s1sN6KlhFFsG
youtube.com/watch?v=ru__6sQ_bpE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Veeky Forums Challange 5/2017 results.

SANDWICH

1st place: Postmark's Steak and Caramelized Onion Sandwich @ 18/20

2nd place: Toothpick's Bacon Sauteed Spinach and Gruyere Monte Cristo with Tomato Jam @ 16.75/20

3rd place: A tie between
!GINGERqAdE's Cuban Sandwich
and
BierMaaktEendracht's Kangaroo Sandwich
both @ 16.5/20

4th place: A tie between
Ya Dingus' Pork Tenderloin Sandwich
and
Spice Jar's Egg and Sausage Sandwich
both @ 15.5/20

5th place: Eyepatch's McCreamcheese Pesto stuffed Chicken Sandwich @ 14.75/20

6th place: Anonymous' Grilled Cheese with Bacon Sandwich @ 14.5/20

7th place: s3krit's Wisconsin Chicken Sandwich @ 14.25/20

8th place: Clothespin's Smoked Chicken Salad Sandwich @ 12.25/20

9th place: Anonymous' Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich @ 11.5/20

10th place: Anonymous' Two Different Sandwiches @ 11/20

11th place: Hindendburg's Bauru Sandwich @ 10.25/20

12th place: Hello Kitty's Steak Sandwich @ 10/20

>no images

>Berries
This is biased against diabetics.

McChicken thread?

>those flies crawling all over the berries
REEEE!

The vote thread is still up
and the images are still there.

Tomatoes and eggplants are both berries, so eggplant parm would be in line with the rules and uses not one but TWO different type of berries, yeah?

If this is true then while you would technically be in line with the theme, both tomatoes and eggplants are culinary treated as vegetables and not regarded as berries so you probably risk low scores in at least two categories.

Okay. But strawberries aren't actually berries, so anyone using those should get low scores too, right? Same with blackberries and raspberries. Neither of those are actually berries.

AND! Eggplant parm uses three (count'em: THREE!!!) different types of berries because the wine used in making the tomato sauce is made from grapes and grapes are also berries. So there!

>culinary treated

As to what exactly is considered a berry; that's for the voters and shitposters to decide.
This way, it's not my fault.

Congrats, Postmark!

I think it should be things that are conventionally regarded as berries. So raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and strawberries. Any other berry somewhat resembling this like goji berries and gooseberry is fine too.

Tomatoes and bananas should NOT be considered berries.

>goji and gooseberry
Which are very, VERY closely related to tomato and eggplant. Red gooseberries even look like cherry tomatoes for fuck's sake. In fact, unripe gooseberries can be used interchangeable with cherry tomatoes because they taste quite similar (though slightly tart in comparison, so possibly better as a swap-in for tomatillos).
Talking of which, I know of at least one crossbreed of gooseberry and tomatillo. So then: why gooseberry but not tomato/tomatillo?

And of the four "berries" you mentioned before goji/goose, only one is an actually berry.

>banana
>should not be regarded as a berry

don't try to enforce your lack of education on the rest of us

Just make your fucking lasagna. Nobody else has a problem understanding the challenge.

You can enter a damned wood shingle slathered in ketchup if you have a timestamp and identifier. You just have to recognize it might not score very high in the category "meeting challenge goals". Given that it's Veeky Forums, it could do pretty well in the other categories, though.

I've never done one before. What am I in for? I've got a few ideas... Is the preferred/standard vertical or finished product with timestamp/identifier? I've got a few pounds of a berry to pick this weekend ;)

A lot of people like to see the vertical, so they can try out the recipe later for themselves.
The only thing that is required is the finished product with timestamp and identifier though.
Get to pi/ck/ing those berries.

what do you mean savory? if i can get a crust decent enough i can probably do some pie or cobbler, blackberries are growing wild here right now

Many win for this round then

plan for this challenge:
make blueberry tea
make pancakes using blueberry tea instead of water
add some other kind of berry to pancakes
make syrup with some other other kind of berry8

By "savory" I mean "non sweet".

Hang on, why am I having to vaguely define "savory" for Veeky Forums of all places?
google.com/search?q=savory&oq=savory&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2255j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
There we go, google can do it for me.

>berries

Pork tenderloin with blueberry jam here we come

>I put tomato in fruit salad

A special kind of retard, truly.

>Berries in a Savory Context

Oh goodness I've gotta figure out how to do that, berries were never really plentiful back in Brazil so we used them for sweet stuff, savory stuff is gonna be difficult.

I believe in you.
You can do this.
You are not a disastrous blimp.

Can you ...
Okay. I understand if you are legit autistic.
You should talk to your handler about it, though.
They should decide if you are able to participate.

okay okay ...okay,
b-but, guys...
Um, guys...
Did you know? Um that...
Hey guys!
Did you know... uh...
TECHNICALLY
hhnnnnnn....

STOP!

Ah, the Nuremberg Defense. You should ask Eichmann how well that worked out for him.

Google fakes up their own pseudodefinitions all the time. They redefined "fascism" to make the ignoramuses who look up definitions on Google think that AntiFA is not a bunch of fucking fascist scum.

Just make some curried sloth or whatever you savages usually eat, and throw a couple of strawberries on top. It's what I plan to do.

>tfw lobster roeberries are beyond my lulzbudget

Too many squeamish faggots on here would be like ewww 0 appeal anyway

>he doesn't eat rujak cingur pecel
Tomato, kiwifruit, jicama, pineapple and beef lips salad with peanut dressing and prawn powder.

So yes: I do put tomato in fruit salad. Faggot.

>I'll intentionally misinterpret the question to look smart

Fruit salad here obviously referred to the euro-american dish called fruit salad. Make your fucking tomato and banana dish and see how things go mate

Hey, he went down in history, and I can only hope to do the same.

>the current year
>still espousing eurocentric worldviews
colonialists please go and stay go

Ok Numbaz, I'll be history, you can go down on me ;-*

If only this couldn't be the shittiest Veeky Forums challenge yet, now we're being invaded by /pol/tards straying from their containment board.

>Implying we haven't been here since the beginning

stop

They stray into any thread on Veeky Forums that has much activity anymore. I don't see it as much at /diy/ or /out/, probably because they never go outside or do much with their hands other than type and things I'd rather not think about.

What game meat do you have?

Now you're working together!

Nice.
Also, bump.

Well, I'm not currently in Brazil, but back then we didn't really eat game meat, and I'm still having trouble matching up meat cuts. For meats... honestly, beef, chicken, some pork, sometimes turkey, if you were a bit more adventurous you'd try lamb, quite a few fishes...

Hunting isn't really a thing there. Though, I'd actually quite like to try rabbit with a berry-based sauce.

I think the point was that "gamey" tasting meats pair well with dark "berries".
Duck and lamb go well with blackberries.
Lamb chop with blackberry jam, duck sausage with blackberry beurre blanc, etc.

Bump for the stump.

Chicken and a cranberry relish.
Liver pate and a tart berry sauce.

>Implying we'd really have it any other way
/pol/ used to be my home board.

Word.
Anynormie pissing about >go back to X
needs schooling.

>used to be

I think that's the operative phrase. 10 years ago it wasn't a drumpf circle jerk and you could have fringe discussions without being bombarded. It's a mainstream sipping at the power trough now, and worthless.

Let's not talk politics, as I'm too drunk for that.
Rather, talk berries.
>what an odd statement

C'mon you beautiful bastards, let's talk berries!
I like bananas and blueberries and grapes.
What's your favorite berry?
(I'm desperately trying to keep this thread up, humour me plz)

What about cherries?

>Veeky Forums is supposed to be segregated because I need a safe space

cry harder, bitch.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rl5JDzvkEA0

>I like bananas and blueberries and grapes.
Grapes maybe but no-one thinks of bananas when you talk about berries. Imagine someone told you they felt like eating berries and you brought them a bunch of bananas. Even grapes would be ridiculous.

Bimp

Fair enough, but please remember that
#AllBerriesAreEqual
because you're not Nazi Genocide Hitler, are you?
If you are, please let me know.

Nazi genocide hitler here. Don't mix berries and bananas. Bananas are their own distinct category. Keep the berry race pure.

Blueberries and cranberries are close cousins and are in fact not berries at all; they belong instead to a class of fruits known as epigynous or false berries. Unlike a true berry, the fruit grows from beneath the rest of the flower parts, and as the fruit ripens the flower stays attached and ripens as well.

Warmonger.

Well, given the support of
I think it's obvious where I'll fall.

Boop.
I'm quite fond of raspberries, which I pronounce oddly.

ITT: Everyone posts a vocaroo of how they pronounce "raspberry" and then we argue about it.

vocaroo.com/i/s1KZwCENv5mB

>thinks every board should be /b/

Fuck off.

I pronounce "raspberries" as "razzbreeze", cos I'm a cunt.

Got a good idea for this challenge but I'm wondering if I'll get point's taken off for also including a sweet berry element? Like a compote or berry lemonade. Thoughts?

>drumpf
Back to Facebook with you

vocaroo.com/i/s1sN6KlhFFsG

I am having the same problem. I am wondering if sweet/spicy salsas count?

If the dish, overall, is savory then I don't see a problem with it.
Keep in mind, that everything really comes down to the decisions of the voters.
>not my fault!

Are you really posh, or just Australian?

I'd give you points for strawberries in a salsa - but it would need to include onions or garlic or something else savory. You can't just make a watery fruit salad for dipping chips in.

youtube.com/watch?v=ru__6sQ_bpE

Ah
Ah
Ah
Ah
Staying alive

>Not doing game with berries in the jus

fucking goons

"Berries In A Savory Context" doesn't even make sense.

Middle class Indian living in New York.

why does your race smell so horrid?

Cumin and turmeric.

Poor ventilation, garlic paste, and using ground spices instead of whole. I cook Indian 5-6 times a week and I smell perfectly fine apart from occasionally having garlic fingers.

>why does your race smell so horrid?

YOU TRY EATING ONIONS ALL FUCKING DAY AND NOT BE SMELLY!

>Poor ventilation, garlic paste, and using ground spices instead of whole. I cook Indian 5-6 times a week and I smell perfectly fine apart from occasionally having garlic fingers.
Your skin is an organ. Everyone that consumes garlic, onion, and certain spices can and will exude those as part of metabolism in their bodies. Glands which excrete waste fats and proteins can carry some of the byproducts of spices. Put your nose into the armpits of someone who had singapore curry takeaway the day beforehand and you'll smell the cumin and other spices right in their pits. Being a frequently washed person, with clean clothing, isn't the whole cure. Time works it out of your body through every way possible, from pores to other waste. As the Frugal Gourmet used to say, don't even date someone who doesn't love garlic as much as you do :P

Having a house that isn't gassed out from unvented strong cooking smells is not the whole story, in other words.

Like I said garlic especially in paste for plays a big role in how you smell as does turmeric (people use way more turmeric than is required to impart flavor and color). Using whole spices instead of fine ground (a rough pounding in a pestle is fine) also makes a difference. A certain level of smell oozing out your sweat glands is unavoidable but regulating the aforementioned things will make a huge difference to the perceptibility of that smell.

I like to believe that the curries I make are not only better than those you get in most restaurants but also don't have a very strong smell while cooking nor do they linger on you as much.

Bumping

Chicken stuffed with dried cherries, almonds and spinach?
Would that work?

I don't see why not.
Give it a go.

I hope someone's injecting these berries with MSG

That could be your entry.

Bumped again.

Duck would probably be better I think.

A cherry is a fruit not a berry, user.

True, but the voters do the deciding.
Some people think a cherry is a berry, others think it has something to do with sex, who knows?

Thanks for choosing my theme c:
I'm excited to try my hand at something c:

For people who seem confused about the "savory berries" theme, my idea was to use something like berries that are in season but to avoid having 100 entries of pie and cobbler. I was only trying to shake it up. It's in the hands of the voters now.

No entries yet? You people are slipping.

Mine'll be in by the end of the week, rather than leaving it for the last day or so like I have been.

I entered in the last one and surprisingly didn't come in last place, kek. But to be fair, this is not something people commonly make, at least in my neck of the woods. However, my garden strawberries are on the wane but my blueberries are waxing, so I'll probably try to come up with something using blueberries. Who knows, I might be able to achieve last place honors this time.

I'm still trying to decide on what I'm making, totally stuck on sides that aren't just salad+berries.