How much energy would it take?

ok, so I've been told a story, that is supposed to actually have taken place:
>Hungary, some time ago
>a major town in the region decides it's time for some philanthropy
>they grant a gift to a little Gypsy village:
>they'll give them the electricity for free

I mean, how much energy can 40 houses use? especially if they don't have washing machines, hairdryers/computers/etc.

>for the first day and night everything goes smoothly
>second night
>suddenly the displays go crazy
>it seems that the village is sucking *enormous* amounts of energy
>two men are sent to investigate

>they enter village
>everything is dark
>everything is quiet
>no lightbulbs turned on, no tvs, no nothing
>they go further into thee village
>finally, they find one singe house with light inside
>music played loudly
>people dancing half naked
>they get inside
>in the center, they see:
>a metal part of the mattress
>connected to two cables from the high voltage line
>fucking glowing, giving out intense amounts of heat

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_size#Table_of_common_sizes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cont.

So I would really like to know, if this is in any way possible to be actualy true

It's obvious it might burn the house, but lets assume that's not a problem for some reason.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_size#Table_of_common_sizes

so let's just assume that the size it's something between 20cmx70cmx170cm and 30cmx100cmx200cm

I have no goddamn idea how much metal might be contained inside, but since it's usually carryable by two people, who have to strain a lot, I'd assume something like 60 to 80kg

the voltage should also be assumed to be the standard stuff going through the cables used to power the villages. I thought there is but one standard. Maybe any of you anons kow the numbers?

I would like to know how much energy could be sucked this way. And whether the metal would melt or not.Again, Idon't know what kind of metal is used, but I guess it's the cheapest iron.
You know, even if it could be dissmissed as bullshit from the very beggining, I'm really curious to see the 'what if'

no
at the low voltages that would have been supplied for consumer use it would be impossible to use 40 houses worth of electricity like that without melting the cables and blowing circuit breakers

no circuit breakers. They just connected it to the cables that are on those wooden poles, that go directly from the power plant. I've no idea how is it called in english

still impossible
reject the /pol/ lad

i've never been to /pol/. this story has been told me by my friend, but he also only heard it from somebody. It doesn't matter, I don't really care.

So what exactly would happen and which part of the circuit would give up first ans how?

>They just connected it to the cables that are on those wooden poles, that go directly from the power plant

It really depends. Some transmission lines are going to max out at 250v and you connect your house directly to it without a transformer. The ones with a transformer will have 5kv to 8kv on one side of the transformer (most likely voltages for this). The high voltage carrier lines on the other hand can be as much as 765kv.

Any of these could make a bed mattress glow in the dark, but not use 40 houses worth of electric doing it at once. The amount of energy going through it would depend on a few variables, but it would not be maxing out the power it has available. It is basically just a giant toaster or space heater. It's own resistance limits the power.

yeah, and that's the core of my question: what could be expected resistance of this kind of metal and how much electricity would flow through it in a unit of time?
Also, the 40 figure is just a wild guess. I might have been even 100. I believe it wasn't more, as those villages are really small.
but how is it: does the power plant just send them how much power they think will be used or do they keep the same voltage on every line, no matter where is it and where it goes to?

The first thing you need to know is how much they call "1 house worth of power". Because it could be they were only allowed say 5kwh for the whole place just for lighting or something and the bed mattress was pulling 10kwh. Because it sounds like no one is living in American style houses using American amounts of power (10kwh/month per house average).

They use the same max power on every line for one type of thing, like residential zoning. Things like industrial zoned stuff would have a different setup entirely. The end user devices are what ultimately decide on how much power is being used.

It would be possible to make the bed glow, it wouldn't be possible to sustain it.

R = (Ro)L/A

assuming
L = 6.7m
A = 3.88m^2
Ro = 100x10^-8 (highest for steel)

R = 1.73m Ohms.

I = V/R = 250v/0.00173 = 144.5kA (unlikely to be supplied.

P = V^2/R = (250^)/.00173 ~=36.1MW

Q = (P)(t) =~ (36.1MW) * t

36.1 MW will make steel very hot, possibly glowing but I don't think it could be supplied by the plant, if just a branch is headed towards a gypsy camp.

I would say this story is very implausible, but not impossible.

4.375kW is what my welder consumes, but thats Pb-62% Sn solder which melts at around 190 degrees Celsius. Steel melts at around 1510 degrees Celsius.

I don't know if that helps or if I'm wrong about anything tho.

** P = (250^2)/0.00173 = 36.1MW **

thank you, this helps a lot

But I don't quite get, why wouldn't it be able to sustain the glow?

Well, a typical coal plant only delivers about 500MW each year, so 36.1MW just isn't going to be delivered to the 40 houses. That's more than the average house in the USA uses per month. The lines couldn't handle it and the power plant couldn't handle it.

36MW is a ludicrous amount of power no municipality would allow one 40 residential home neighborhood to use. Even if it was, that bed frame would probably break because it would fucking expand in seconds.

That's about as much as 19000 hair dryers at once.

The bed wouldn't even light up, the whole fucking house would be on fire as soon as the bed was plugged in!

wait.
are you trying to tell me that the typical coal plant would be able, using it's yearly production at once, to merely make 15 mattresses glow for an hour or so?
Are you sure of those numbers?

how much does the steel expand? I thought this type of effect is pretty miniscule

it gets hot so it expands. its not minuscule when there's 36.1MW being delivered, the steel might shatter at weak points from thermal shock.

still, the bed frame may have two, three centimeters in diameter

I don't think you grasp the aw inspiring power of 36.1 MW being delivered to a relatively small piece of steel. where the connections are would gain so much thermal heat so rapidly that the area inches away would be maybe 400 or 500 degrees cooler than the connection points within seconds. I also imagine the surface of the rivets in the corners would be quite a bit hotter than the surrounding steel as well.

Dont listen to anything anyone in this thread has said. Im a former electrician turned electrical engineer. The only possible answer to this is maybe. We dont have enough information to tell. Could some nigger rigged 3rd world country electrical system behave in a way you described (especially when they expected low amp draw)? Sure. Can running electricity through a metal bedframe (this is what i assume you meant as a mattress would catch fire before you ever saw any glowing) cause it to glow? Yup. Will drawing massive amounts of power cause brownout like conditions for the surrounding area assuming previously mentioned 3rd world nigger rigging? Possibly. All of the things you mentioned are within the realm of electrical possibilities, without more information theres no way of knowing. I would look at the source of this knowledge, see if its reliable, maybe do some internet research. That will tell you more than even the most brilliant electrical wizard who ever lived could if given the information you gave us.

Also, the iron would transition from FCC to BCC at the instant it reaches a high temp, like 1200 degrees Celsius, which could cause defects inbetween the cooler and hotter steel, causing it to break.

I see.
but wouldn't an electric arc be formed then, sustaining the connection and closing the circuit?

They're using Gypsy magitek.

A glowing mattress skeleton sounds comfy as fuck. Must feel like sitting inside a toaster.

At any rate, this thread is probably better suited to /diy/. Those dudes do more hands-on applications as opposed to math and science.

>first it was mattress springs "a metal part of the mattress"
>now it is a bed frame

The springs could easily get to glow, but not a bed frame.

man, wtf are thoce contraptions?
they look cool

well, to be quite honest I simply don't know what it was.
But when speaking about a frame, I only mean the frame surrounding the springs
Sorry for my non-nativeness bringing confusion

Those are DIY transformers.

Having a bed frame glowing can't happen like that and it would be pretty lackluster in the first place. Mattress springs on the other hand will glow. You need to also take into account what is glowing on it in the story. Maybe only one section was glowing, not the rest, which is more than enough to state "it was fucking glowing, giving out intense amounts of heat" because even if the rest of it wasn't glowing, it'd all be pretty hot.