Why aren't you working on an unsolved problem?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsolved_problems_in_mathematics

You could literally pull it off by studying fifteen hours a day for years.

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/sci/thread/S8559172
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I May be a brainlet but im not dumb

I am. Although nothing on that list, and I will likely not actually solve it but may get lucky and prove a special case at some point.

fpbp

Last time I tried to do an unsolved problem I spent my entire summer trying to prove Goldbach's conjecture. What I did is that I created 5 different algorithms to generate solution pairs (two primes that add up to the even input you put into the algorithm) and then tried to prove that for all n, at least one of the 5 algorithms would yield a solution.

3 months went by. And in those 3 months there were probably 4 times when I thought I had actually proven the Goldbach conjecture before I realized I was assuming something extra. Unironically considered suicide every time. Do you know how it feels? To start day dreaming about becoming the youngest field medalist, and getting your PhD without even having a year in the program? And becoming instantly famous? I was even thinking about what speeches I was going to give when people came to interview me.

HAHAHAHAH

Never again. Now I do recreational mathematics 24/7. Just today I think I may have "invented" an integration technique. I sent it to an professor who specializes in analysis to see if he had seen it before and he hasn't so I guess I got a minor paper no one will ever read boiiiiis.

honestly user that's cool

thats narcissism

It is cool. Don't get me wrong, I may be exagerating. But being a young mathematician (or young aspiring mathematician to be technically precise) comes with a certain dread. If you are also studying mathematics you may have noticed this. There are two types of old (40+) mathematicians. The ones who are already stars (or at least minor stars) and are destined for greatness and live it to the fullest, and those who didn't quite make it but they still make ends meet, enjoy their job and aspire to be good teachers to the next generation.

When you are young you see those two paths and it scares me. To be quite honest every year it feels like if *this year* I do not become famous then I never will. I want the luxury of being one of the superstars, but every day I am faced with the reality that every step I take brings me closer to being one of the mediocre ones.

Probably, but not really. You try tricking yourself into believing that you just did something so amazing and groundbreaking that you will never have to worry about anything ever again in your life. That just by doing this one thing, your life is already solved.

It is kinda hard to not become narcissistic when you are deep in that kind of delusion. You should try it.

>but every day I am faced with the reality that every step I take brings me closer to being one of the mediocre ones.
that's what i was saying is cool

>that's what i was saying is cool
How is that cool?

how is overcoming narcissism not cool?

I don't think I am battling with narcissism here. Do you think you would be a better or worse person if you were famous?

>Do you think you would be a better or worse person if you were famous?
I see it as irrelevant to the amount I enjoy my life.

Being math famous isn't gonna get you any pussy

elon musk gets mad pussy though

nah i know what it's like.

Trust me that letting go of the idea you are somehow more important or better than anyone else is a relieving first step.

It's not like famous means anything anyway. You are going to die someday and people will eventually forget all about who you were and all you will be is a picture and a name like tesla.

Do you think the way people worship newton today somehow benefits his ego? He is dead

That's bullshit. I'm not him, but being famous for a good reason like a Fields medal must be way more personally fulfilling than being another professor. Not that you cannot be, like, "baseline happy" either way, but being a superstar must be something else entirely.

>but being a superstar must be something else entirely.
doubt it

Elon musk builds cool cars and sends shit to space. He is does not solve number theory problems.

damn SON STUPID

you must be joking

Man I think you're lying to yourself. Personally I'd rather try to be my best, you know what they say? Aim for the moon and if you fail you'll land on a cloud, or something like that. I may end up being just another dude, but hey at least I wanna give it a shot. I think aiming at being a run of the mill professional is a bit boring.

I think you're a few years younger than me.
>Man I think you're lying to yourself
Immediately after that you proceeded to tell me you're lying to yourself.

Like I fucking care about getting pussy. Get out of here.

>Trust me that letting go of the idea you are somehow more important or better than anyone else is a relieving first step.

I have already taken this step. The thing is that I aspire to be more important and better than everyone else. Not because I am full of myself, but because being a great mathematician would be neat. I mean, I'm already this far. The only source I can derive pride from is mathematics. What else can I aspire other than to be the greatest at the one singular thing I do every hour of every day?

>It's not like famous means anything anyway.

It does mean something. It means that I'll have an easier life. Right now I am a student, but soon I will aspire to be a professor and I don't want to be poor, nor do I want to be exploited. I want to have a good position doing great research. Being famous is a powerful way of securing that I will have all these things I desire.

>Do you think the way people worship newton today somehow benefits his ego? He is dead

Newton was a complete asshole and because of his fame he got to live decades of his life believing he was the best human being that had ever set foot on this earth. His fame made what should have been a terrible and painful existence into an easy ride of fun and security.

Because I'm a pussy who's under the false impression you have to sludge through a meter high stack of textbooks before doing anything impressive.

First of all just to make it clear I'm not OP, now that's out of the way, I'm not lying to myself. I know far well that I'm not a genius and it's unlikely that I'll ever make it as a superstar, but it's the act of giving it a shot what I believe matters the most.

>more important and better than everyone else. Not because I am full of myself

I can almost assure you that your ego is getting in the way of your potential to become anybody

>only source
>pride
Perhaps you should become an ivyfag instead?

good luck with everything, user

My bad I was upset about something g else. I just don't think being a superstar requires some sort of special effort focused on material success. I'm not a slouch in this regard but I'm at a point in my life where happiness is something I can't stay inside and find.

Pride is a sin. Newton died a virgin. The male brain literally needs pussy to be able to think clearly and be happy

>I can almost assure you that your ego is getting in the way of your potential to become anybody

I can't believe you'd ride with this. Just after that I explain exactly why being famous in math makes your life 50 times easier.

>>only source
>pride

My pride is my craft. Maybe it isn't my only source because I also have a really refined taste for anime and I'm good at deconstructing art. But that's just a side hobby I'd drop if I didn't have the free time.

>Pride is a sin. Newton died a virgin. The male brain literally needs pussy to be able to think clearly and be happy

I know and I completely agree with everything you said, but that's the point. Newton died a virgin. By all measures, Newton ought to have hated himself and been a shy pussy ass faggot. But that motherfucker was FULL OF HIMSELF. Literally the biggest ego in academia at the time. Why? Because he was famous.

That disgusting roach of a human being believed he was the hottest shit, despite getting no pussy. simply because he was famous.

I want some of that man.

Second half of meant for you.

>happiness is something I can't stay inside and find.
Well of course, I don't mean to spend all my time working on problems, some time should be spent doing normal things. Hell I'm on Veeky Forums right now, which I probably shouldn't lol Time to turn the wifi off, have a good day, night or whatever it is where you live

>I also have a really refined taste for anime
lold

>That disgusting roach of a human being believed he was the hottest shit, despite getting no pussy. simply because he was famous.
For sure, I'm just saying it's better to be an average professional with a healthy sex life than a famous virgin autist. Try to find a balance

>lold
You know why I am here and not on other math forums.

I was baited by /a/ and then swallowed by Veeky Forums. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the story of everyone here. Pic related is best girl holding best book, because a believing heart is your math.

>For sure, I'm just saying it's better to be an average professional with a healthy sex life than a famous virgin autist. Try to find a balance

Your pleasure in life comes from self-perception. Even if you get no pussy, if you can trick yourself into believing that you are great then it doesn't matter. Newton, in such dire circumstances, lived like a King.

If I could get just 1% of his notoriety then imagine the things I could do. The places I'd see...

>The only source I can derive pride from is mathematics. What else can I aspire other than to be the greatest at the one singular thing I do every hour of every day?
sounds more like doubt than aspiration

Attaining wealth is a good reason for pushing yourself, cant argue with that.

>Newton was an complete asshole
what im trying to say is that fame is superficial and existential, superfluous.
I think fame being a cornerstone of success to you is going to harm you more than it's going to hurt you. And i hope you dont have narcissism because if a personal failure made you semi-suicidal then actual rejection might seal the deal. Narcissists are terrified deep down they are worthless/stupid/etc, and when those feelings come to the surface (imagined or real) they melt down.

You sound like a very intelligent and driven person, it's too bad you feel pidgeon-holed to math, i hope some day you are able to use that almost autistic like focus to help people.

>I was baited by /a/ and then swallowed by Veeky Forums. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the story of everyone here. Pic related is best girl holding best book, because a believing heart is your math.
Jesus you really are beyond hope
>Even if you get no pussy, if you can trick yourself into believing that you are great then it doesn't matter.
Maybe, but it's not worth it
>Newton, in such dire circumstances, lived like a King.
Kings get pussy

>Jesus you really are beyond hope

I am sorry but if you do not watch then it's time for you to go back.

>Kings get pussy
True.

LOL people on Veeky Forums are so cute

>You could literally pull it off by studying fifteen hours a day for years.
Because I can't pull off studying fifteen hours day for years. I think 4 is my max.

javascript:quote('9000773');
You probably care about status too much to end up a superstar. The minute concerns about personal status begin to intrude upon your passion, whatever that passion may be, is the minute you forfeit your chances at true success. Wei wu wei, all the way

>ywn find a general solution for navier-stokes

>giving a shit about problems thought up by 200 year old Germans

Few reasons
1) I don't have that much natural talent in mathematics. So I probably wouldn't be able to solve one of the problems on that list.

2) If I was able to solve one of those problems, it would take devoting decades of my life completely to mathematics. There are things I want to do with my life asides from solve mathematics.

3) I get a lot of joy just from doing a problem on project euler. How much different could the feeling of completing one of these be (possibly much worse when I realize I've spent years missing out on other things to come up with a nice solution)

In a sentence, I'm not working on an unsolved problem because I lack the talent and motivation.

Unless you're working on Navier-Stokes, then it's not really useful. That's why.

Fug, I know this feeling.

Because I've already solved one but I'm like 2 months away from graduating and if I publish it now, I'll have no doctoral thesis.

Is there a theory or scenario that can solve all at the same time?

Why don't you publish early and get your PhD early? You can actually end your PhD at any time, you know that right?

This, you'd be showering in doctorates the moment you proved your findings. If you're bullshitting us, there's no shame in coming clean.

>if I publish it now, I'll have no doctoral thesis.

...So your thesis' results are nullified by your findings?

I remember this guy. That was hilarious

Oh, yeah. I remember I mentioned it a couple of times while posting here.

Just so you know, I'm still going at it, but in an indirect manner. Trying to brute force my way through was not the right idea. Now I'm studying analytic number theory and when I get my fields medal you ain't going to be laughing.

still laughing at this
warosu.org/sci/thread/S8559172

Last year was really fun, yes.