Changing the way people view math

Question of the day:
Your goal is to change the general opinion towards math. You want people to see the beauty of it, and also make them understand that it's a lot more than just technique (because most people have no clue), and that you don't have to be good at arithmetic to appreciate it. But most of all, you want people to stop being afraid of math, and stop perceiving it as something "beyond them", that they could never get into.
How would you do this? Feel free to suggest any idea, you have unlimited resources. For the sake of the conversation, you could be a teacher, the minister of education, a meme youtuber... you name it. What steps would you take in order to reach the goal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SYWaQe0qmNI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Let's do a thought experiment. Let's replace math with poetry. How would I make everyone love the beauty of poetry? I wouldn't because poetry isn't for everyone. Some people cannot appreciate the beauty of some dude jacking off using a pen and paper all over liberal arts graduates.

basically math isn't for everyone, don't force people into it.

I would teach every child to write, in vernacular, what the goal and strategy of each problem is before they attempt it.

Most people avoid poetry because it doesn't suit their tastes. This doesn't seem to be the case for math. Most people avoid it because they believe themselves inherently good or bad at it. If we could teach people that math uys accessible to all, then they could make an informed decision as to whether it suits their tastes.

Some people cannot do math nearly as well as others. It's not a matter of will power, it's literally they cannot think mathematically. I'm not talking about arithmetic, I'm talking about proving things, writing equations etc

Why do you think so?

How is giving them a more rounded view on math forcing anything?
You can't make people love math, just like you can't make them love poetry. But most people don't even realize that there's something in math TO LIKE, because that's not how it's presented to them.
The question is how can you properly present math, so people COULD like it (even though they don't have to).

Also, not everybody likes art, but most people can at least appreciate it. If someone would say something like "art is a complete waste of time" he'd be viewed as somewhat ignorant, but sentences like "math is dumb and useless and boring" get thrown around all the time and nobody gives a shit.
THAT'S the problem, at least for me - not the fact the people don't like math (it's their choice), but the fact that they don't even know what math is, but still disregard it like it's nothing. (and it's the popular opinion)

Well said.

drop the 'math is beautiful/useful/deep/language of universe' bullshit
show math problems and solutions as riddles and answers
explain that definitions, theorems are merely formalizations of things you first intuitively discovered
basically it's a puzzle game, if you're good at it you will like it and if you're bad you won't

>If someone would say something like "art is a complete waste of time" he'd be viewed as somewhat ignorant, but sentences like "math is dumb and useless and boring" get thrown around all the time and nobody gives a shit.
Just not true. Plenty of people complain about liberal arts millennials contributing nothing to society and being self-gratifying, but math is at least on some level respected as a difficult but important thing in society

>there's something in math TO LIKE
What are you even talking about? Teaching proof-based mathematics and properties of abstract structures to people who can't tell the difference between function application and multiplication? Teaching 'beauty' of abstract algebra to people who already don't give a fuck about equations at the most concrete levels with applications explained? Or alternatively - putting lipstick on a pig and lying to students about how interesting, beatiful and important the most basic brainlet-filtering school-level math actually is?

just show them graphs of functions

You're right, most people aren't smart enough to handle abstract and rigorous math, just like they can't study in depth quantum mechanics without knowing anything first. But just like you can make the appreciate physics by conveying "the general idea", there's no reason not to do the same thing with math.
Call it "putting lipstic on a pig" if you want. But hey - maybe some of the people will actually develop an interest in math (once you give them a chance) and find out that they're actually smart enough to study it (and even if they don't study it, at least they have a proper idea on what it actually is).
I don't know what scientific field you like, but it's likely that you didn't like from the day you were born. I'm guessing that at some point you came across something interesting about it that made you want to learn more. Some people just need that extra push (and again, I don't care if they study it later or not, it's about giving them a more realistic view on math, because these days plenty of people think that math is basically what you study in school, but harder).

>Just not true. Plenty of people complain about liberal arts millennials contributing nothing to society and being self-gratifying

You mean old farts and tired baby boomers who ruined the planet and fucked over future generations for cash and useless shit they didn't need, and now obsessedly talk about muh pensions and muh millenials? Ah yes. The pictures of self-restraint and humbleness.

Fuck off you daft cunt.

Question of the day:
Your goal is to change the general opinion towards anime. You want people to see the beauty of it, and also make them understand that it's a lot more than just moe (because most people have no clue), and that you don't have to be good at japanese to appreciate it. But most of all, you want people to stop being afraid of anime, and stop perceiving it as something "beyond them", that they could never get into.
How would you do this? Feel free to suggest any idea, you have unlimited resources. For the sake of the conversation, you could be a teacher, the minister of education, a meme youtuber... you name it. What steps would you take in order to reach the goal?

Wait, you don't like people forcing their interests on you? Guess how others think about math.

>there's no reason not to do the same thing with math.
We're talking about pure math, right? (if not, then my following argument doesn't apply - teaching students who don't have a knack for abstract math applications in physics, engineering etc for motivation is obviously and demonstrably very useful)
So we're talking about trying to make math more interesting to people who have trouble with school math because it's already too abstract for them by saying "can you imagine - it gets even more abstract than that! To the point that there are fields of math OTHER mathematicians refer to as 'abstract nonsense'! Doesn't that sound like an enticing thing to study better?" It's just not gonna work. This is only good for informing people who already like and are good at school-level math, but like you said aren't aware that there is more to it (and I don't think that's such a large group since this is a group of people likely to look into studying math in college and finding out things about future cirriculum). But to the people who fail math already there being "more to it" is just there being more to stuff they already dislike and can't work through.
IMO there is no possible jump from "I don't care about properties of numbers/don't understand and don't care about functions' graphs and derivatives/can't understand school algebra" to "I'm going to apply myself and power through these things I didn't care about before because during our pop-sci-ish math class I got exposure to ideas from modern measure theory, differential and algebraic geometry which I got interested in so much so that it totally changed my opinion about these way less abstract things"

tl/dr: if in physics you can motivate people to do things they aren't necessarily immediately interested in with a cherry on top of less enticing things: "just power through this calculus course and you'll get to do that w/e thing you actually like", in pure math there is no such thing - it's math all the way down and if you hate it and are bad at it at the school level already then all motivation that does not come from applications of math to other, more conventionally interesting fields, is useless.

OP here, I was bad at math in highschool and I had no interest in it at all. Now I'm a math major.
Turns out that once you get exposed to the simplified stuff, you develop more "endurance" to the abstract things you used to hate, and as time goes by you start to actually like it.
But to be honest, students these days are usually not even taught the applications of the algebra they're supposed to study (excluding problems like "Tyrone purchased 45 watermelons and X^2 cans of grape soda"), so I can see why most students see math as technique and nothing else.
I work as a tutor and it seems to me that the reason students are having such a hard time with math verbal problems is that they can't possibly imagine a connection between the numbers and the words.

Physics is trash though, and students' hatred for it is only second to math.

Do you know what my classmates in physics class did when I went to high school? We celebrated the Catholic church for burning scientists.

Fun times

I would nuke academia and execute all of the mainstream university and tv lecturers, then I'd start with the holy bible and Pythagoras.

I don't want to do. I want to be special.

Tell them einstein is a fraud and take kids outside with rulers and yardsticks to teach them geometry literally earth meauring by building a clubhouse for recess

I have this unique talent, why would I want to convince people my talent isn't "that special"? I WANT people to think I'm performing wizardy, I WANT people to think math is impossible. The more unique my talent is, and the more normies are oblivious towards it, the more valuable I become.

Consider this: at the end of the day, people who are good at math will already naturally gravitate towards it.

This is basically the problem

I fucking hate puzzles though. This only works for people who are into graph theory and discrete math. Most people aren't.

Once Trump nukes all brown people with his hate missile, we will be able to make rapid societal changes at the genetic level. Brainlets will give birth to Brainswoles and an era of Math Renaissance will begin.

Maybe this help people like math

youtu.be/SYWaQe0qmNI

What's wrong with the way math is taught in high-schools. Just let those idiots math teachers teach teens that math is just memorizing car directions. I'm sure there are plenty of people who like to sit down and memorizing car directions on their free time.

How on earth did you decide this is true?

You like things you're good at.

not true at all. maybe for you

The 18th street cholos control an 8x8 block square. They currently have 1 dope dealer on every street corner. Each dealer brings in an average of 500 USD a night. Each dealer is paid 100 USD a night for satisfactory earnings. It costs 8000 USD to manufacture enough dope to sell for one night. Assuming all dope gets sold each night, are the 18th street cholos making a profit? If so, how much per night?

Those digits tho

Dub quads confirm.

Bump