Is it worth getting into A Song of Ice and Fire?

Is it worth getting into A Song of Ice and Fire?
>inb4 someone posts "that" picture

I got you

Winds of never ever when?

No no, that is not the one

And yet ASoIaF plot is still more interesting and alluring that those other "serious books".

>tfw read even worse literature
>tfw read Japanese Visual Novels

IKTFB, I just can't help it

Nice pie chart, my man.

wtf kind of pie chart is that

Currently reading G-senjou no Maou, probably gonna relax with Nekopara next. I had been avoiding it, but it's getting an OVA soon. After that Himawari seems interesting. I've at least seen interesting reviews.

This belongs in /sffg/, and doesn't deserve its own thread.

Too late :P

I've read all the books that have been published, finish them a long time ago actually. The first three books are pretty good if you don't mind gratuitous degeneracy, after that there's really little point in things continuing on. Would have preferred him to do what he had originally intended and write a new trilogy that takes place ten years after the end of book three so there wouldn't be so much damn filler.

I thought Schopenhauer's whole M.O. was that we were driven to life by a hostile impulse, why would it matter what books we waste our time reading?

Are there any racism in the books? I enjoy some racism in my books.

I get a mental boner everytime I read something with racism/sexism in it that I know a lot of females/minorities also read

If you hate free time and love consuming garbage, yes.

Yeah, that's right! AFFC was sooo fun omg! I can't wait to see how the story ends!

you are a very sad person

As far as I remember, there is, but its very much, white people are ignorant racism and the oppressed groups are actually very cultured and civilized, which is how liberals try to display other cultures in general

The pro-feminist ideals are much stronger but are still only half of what they are in the show

I really dislike feminism, but I actually thought Asoiaf did it pretty well for the most part (season 6 of the show is fucking cancer for this though). Women were actually portrayed realistically instead of as superhero mary-sues like most media does today.

>season 6 of the show is fucking cancer for this though

Yeah, even my normie friends thought it was feminist garbage. Every faction is basically lead by a strong independent woman now

>ginger in-charge and saves the day: check
>muh evil plotting mother now in charge of capital/kingdom: check
>dragonbitch: check
>iron islands ursurper woman: check
>doria or whatever its called now run by women: check

Did I miss anything?

Yeah that small kingdom in the woods or whatever, which did not get a lot of playtime are ruled by a 9 year old girl

Why would you want to?

If the answer is so I can fit in, don't fucking bother.

Yuri what?

Me too. We're all a bunch of weeaboo losers.

But I just can't stop.

A yuritopia. The plot of the VN is being the wingman for various lesbians so that two ghosts can learn how to fuck

That first pie chart triggers me. They're all equal.

it probably ACTUALLY seems that way to you lol

i'd rather read a fantasy series like asoiaf than those boring old books that people pretend to like

how do I know the book is bad before reading it? Do I just trust random faggots on the internet?

Then I would kindly ask you to crawl back to r*ddit

No. These books are actually boring as hell. Each one is 800-1000 pages, the characters are dull (with few exceptions), Martin's prose is weak and wrought with cliche, and the story is told extremely inefficiently. Martin says less in 1000 pages then a good writer says in 300. Even as a fantasy/war series you can do much better, as most of the books consist of boring characters standing around talking to each other about exciting things that we never actually get to see, or of wikipedia articles of fictional history. The first book is ok, because you have Ned who's basically the main character, but after he dies the story is left completely directionless and without a real driving force. It feels like Martin wanted to make a fantasy series that was bigger and epicer then Lord of the Rings, but in the end it just collapsed under it's own weight. Honestly, just stick to the TV show, at least then they trim out a lot of the fat.

I forgot to mention that there is no fucking way that He'll actually finish the series either. The first three books took him 6 years to write, while the second three took him 17 (and counting). He's 68 years old, and if this trend continues, it will take him at least another 6 to write the last book. The average life expectancy in the USA for men is 77 years, but keep in mind that Martin is obese and will probably die much sooner then that.

Yes, put your trust in the memes

It's not a classic, and it's not dumb fun. It's just sort of ok. Just read the first two books, don't put yourself through the rest. It's not worth it.

It's not bad, it's just very very very long winded. Like, you have no idea. The gasbag isn't even done it yet.

as bad as the books are the show is worse. it's literally soap opera-tier 80% of the time.

>Honestly, just stick to the TV show, at least then they trim out a lot of the fat.

The first 5 seasons, maybe. Season 6 is abysmal and it shows no signs of getting better. Once the hack TV writers ran out of book material (the stuff that was good at least) then the show collapsed.

I am going to read them for the mere purpose of seeing if a normalfag actually read the books or just watched the tv shows when they claim they read the books.

You already know the answer, stop making excuses for your shit taste.

what is the closest thing we have to a maester irl

i was talking about this with my friend and he told me i would probably be interested in being a maester if got were real and thank god it's not but that is probably the one thing in the books that seem interesting and pretty relaxing

just being a scholar and a trusty counselor

>what is the closest thing we have to a maester irl
A professor.

medieval court jews

>He reads for the plot.

I wonder if he read Hitchhiker's Guide for the plot. I bet that was interesting and alluring.

Shitty series.

Do you read in Japanese?
That makes me feel a bit better about it.

What's worse, Visual Novels, or Light Novels?
I like both.

>I'll learn Japanese
>watch 5 minute youtube video about Japanese words
>get distracted and watch a video of two sleepy cats fighting or some bullshit
>browse Veeky Forums
>watch something on tv
>masturbate
>go to sleep
I'll never make it.

Light Novels are worse

Just get a nice daily routine and try to enjoy the process. There's a bunch of easy, fun VNs and manga to choose from like Flyable Heart or Yotsubato.
Reading something you like is so much better than getting fed up with some boring sample texts and just giving up, at least that's how I look at it.

I can show you some places to start if you'd like.

i read video game novels in spanish kek
but i only do it because im trying to improve my spanish and if try reading anything of merit there is too many words i dont know so im working my way up

Wow so brave

I liked it well enough, will be reading the rest of it in the unlikely scenario Martin ever finishes another book.

>implying i didnt read and analyze every single one of those books in high school and did meaningless homework, discussed, nitpicked, talked about the "meaning" of the book and why the author wrote it and took tests and as a result grew an internal hatred for "real literature" and can't read anything taught in schools.
only the shit they wouldnt teach in schools interests me now.

>tfw you DO read Hitchhiker's Guide for the plot

I don't understand this meme...