TIPPING ETIQUETTE QUESTION

TIPPING ETIQUETTE QUESTION

Should I tip when I'm picking up a take-out order? I currently don't, but whenever I sign the receipt the waitress/cashier waits in anticipation and when I cross out the tip section they get all moody.

Am I in the wrong here? To me it just seems like ALL waitresses feel super entitled when they literally do fucking nothing.

No tip for take out.

>Should I tip when I'm picking up a take-out order?

Nope. Tipping is for table service.

Tipping is optional by definition so if you never tip you should be okay.

Nah, maybe a buck or two if they give you extra sauce or satisfy some other special request, but otherwise I wouldn't bother. I always wonder what percentage I should tip delivery guys, I usually do like 5-10% opposed to waiters where I always tip 20%.

I don't tip for take out unless they went above and beyond. It's their job to get my food to me, if that's all they did they don't deserve extra cash on top of their pay. Last time I tipped for take out it was for a guy who made sure to get us extra sauce/plastic cutlery/paper plates/napkins.

if you do anything regularly like get take out, leave a tip and overall be friendly
if the people working there give a shit you will get taken care of in the future
I get my hair cut once a month and give a large tip
after a few months I now skip the line and get a free shave
sure, I could save a few bucks a year but it's fairly insignificant and I now get a much higher level of service

Never to for take out unless you're eating at a place really regularly (like once a week or more). The only place i tip for take out is a hole in the wall teriyaki place i go to for lunch on Saturdays. The only reason is because that guy, and who I'm assuming is his wife, work there 10+ hours a day with only one day off a week. They bust their ass every day in that kitchen and an extra few bucks probably makes a real difference to them.

No tip for takeout, but u know u can just leave all that blank and just sign lol. No one is gonna write themselves in a tip, most places have a camera pointed at the register so theyd see them messing w ur receipt

>tipping
>to make up for shitty minimum wage
>America, land of the free

Fuck u...

>mechanism to ensure quality service from lowest tier workforce
>socially acceptable
you're god damn right

Instead of crossing it out, write $0.00 very slowly. It gets the cashier's hopes up, only be be destroyed a short time later.

I only tip on takeout if I know it was particularly difficult/time consuming to box up, like pho, since they pack up every ingredient separately. Also I tip on takeout Mexican because they give me sacks of extra chips and salsa when I do.

Tipping lost its purpose

>free shave
>I leave a large tip
What

>implying countries where tipping isn't the norm have shitty service
>so it's just poor work ethic
>which apparently is socially acceptable
>living in a morally corrupt country

>implying countries where tipping isn't the norm have shitty service
I'm sure countries that don't have tipping as the cultural norm have plenty of great service people
>so it's just poor work ethic
and you have zero recourse for poor work ethic
>which apparently is socially acceptable
what is socially acceptable? bad work ethic?
because that would earn you less tip
>living in a morally corrupt country
I wouldn't call holding people responsible for their poor service or recognizing good service to be morally corrupt

I've never understood tipping. Why tip at some places and not others? Do McDonalds workers need tipping? What makes other places so special? If the pay is so bad in the food service sector why not just learn new skills and find something else?

In some places around the US, employers have worked out agreements and contacts with the government and their employees respectively to pay them less than the federal minimum wage due to the employees making up the difference, if not more, from tips.

Tips were originally a used to show your apperication for service you thought was exemplary; over the last few decades it's been made socially mandatory lest you look "cheap" to your peers.

These two things allow employees at some restaurants to legally be paid less than minimum wage by their employers thinking that they will still make up the difference because of social guilt.

Tipping is FUCKED and i hate people who think it's mandatory. I swear to God I'm going to write a book about this shit one day.

Just tip $2/person, regardless of price

>federal minimum wage due to the employees making up the difference, if not more, from tips.

You seem to be forgetting that:
1) Minimum wage still applies. If the employees make relatively little money in tips then the employer still has to pay them minimum wage.
2) due to the way taxes work in this country the tipping system saves everyone involved money--that includes both the customer and the employee

>>Tipping is FUCKED
So are a lot of things. Why'd you pick this one to sperg out about?

Here's a tip. Find a job where you're not living at the whim of donations like some street beggar.

here's a better tip,
you can easily make 20-30 dollars an hour, pay less in taxes and work whatever hours you want working a server job
it's probably the best way to make fucking around money when you're young

>1) Minimum wage still applies.
Yes it does, and if an employee regularly needs that compensation from their employers they're probably going to be fired for being bad at their job, as their his expects them to be making tips.

>2) due to the way taxes work in this country the tipping system saves everyone involved money
I very much doubt that an if like to see your source for that info.

>Why'd you pick this one to sperg out about?
Why not? Let other people sperg about other shit, this is something i care about and want to see done away with

you should kill yourself for making a tipping thread

it's not about food or cooking, it's always an invitation to shitposting

>I very much doubt that an if like to see your source for that info.
You can easily work that out yourself with a basic knowledge of how taxes work in the US.

When an employee gets a paycheck there are various federal taxes deducted (social security, medicaid/medicare, etc.) What most people fail to realize is that your employer also has to pay an equal amount of money as well. The employee only sees half of the total tax payment.
So for example, if you earned $1000 in wages then you might see a $200 deduction for taxes and your "take home pay" is $800. What you aren't realizing is that your employer actually had to pay that $200 as well. So it was really a case of $1400 spent of which the employee gets $800 take-home.

Now, consider tipping. Most of the time tips go un-reported so there is no tax on that money. But let's assume that our hypothetical server is 100% honest and reports all their tips on their tax return, and then pays taxes on those tips.

Situation A. Tips. Employee makes $1000 in tips, reports taxes, takes home $800.

Situation B. Wages. Employee needs to make that same $800 take-home. That means his/her employer needs to budget $1200 to account for both sides of taxes.

So with tipping it only takes $1000 to give the employee $800 take home pay. But with wages it costs $1200 for the employee to get the exact same take-home pay.

This example discussed Federal taxes only. If this happens in a state which charges state income tax then the difference becomes more pronounced.

>the employer still has to pay them minimum wage

And guess what? In the US where employees can be fired at an owners whim, after 1 month of making up the difference he will terminate them for failing to meet the standards required of a server. Your argument is bullshit because in the real world no owner will accept it. Tipping needs to go and the owner, like every other business, needs to pay the market value for that particular labor commodity. Sound cruel? Welcome to capitalism where collective bargaining has been castrated if even allowed to exist at, all motherfucker.

>worked out agreements
And It involves ME, the costummer, odly enough they forgot to ask my opinion.

>going to be fired for being bad at their job

So your saying that a server on a tip based income can be expected to make over minimum wage.

hahahahah, it's like seeing a monkey try to put on a tie

Even better tip? If you're not going back to the restaurant for a while just pay the bill and leave. It might encourage the waitress/male waitress to set her sights a little higher.

>In the US where employees can be fired at an owners whim,
That depends entirely on which state you're in.

>>will terminate them for failing to meet the standards required of a server.
What's the problem there? Wouldn't that be a clear red flag that you had an incompetent server? If all the other servers are doing great and one of them can't even get enough tips to equal a pathetically low minimum wage wouldn't that be a huge red flag to you that the server needs to be fired? Why would you keep such a person on the payroll at all?

>>needs to pay the market value for that particular labor commodity. Sound cruel?
Nope, sounds perfectly reasonable to me. How is tipping not paying market value for a commodity? It's just a slightly different structure, but fundamentally it's still a case of money coming from the customer and some of it ending up in the paycheck of the server.

I worked as a server when I was in college.

I took home about $30/hour on average. If it was a good night (valentine's day, mother's day, graduation, big football game, etc.) it was much more than that.

But then why should these specific businesses be tipping businesses instead of all businesses, since it saves money everywhere after all?

Fuck if I know. I didn't invent the tradition.

>What's the problem there? Wouldn't that be a clear red flag that you had an incompetent server?
While it could be indicative of a poorly performing employee, it could also be that the patrons just didn't feel like tipping. If this is the case it has nothing to do with the ability of the server, but they could still be fired for it anyway.

If the employer has to pay them a wage like every other business the employee could be graded solely on their performance instead of the customers whims.

So you're a waitress huh? How does it feel to be a LITERAL waste of a human life?

That's some pathetic bait to restart this shit thread, faggot.

I work as a bartender at a restaurant and deal with take out orders from time to time. I think it's asinine to expect a tip, though some places do add a small fee that goes directly to waitstaff.

Pic related.

>go to pick up Jimmy Johns order for wife
>get rung up
>slide my card
>walk back to receiving counter on other side of register
>"Sir, you need to answer the question there" (pointing to the credit card machine)
Huh?
>go look
>"WOULD YOU LIKE TO LEAVE A TIP?
>15%
>20%
>30%
>NO (small button at the bottem)

I was absolutely speechless. Just a totally "What the fuck is this shit?" moment. This household is banned from ever patronizing that place again. Fucking inexcusable.

Tipping is the company's way of making the customers pay their employees. If you haven't figured that out by the time you're 12, you are just plain retarded.

And don't give me that shit about "If the employees don't make suchandsuch, they company has to pay it" - that never happens. You know it doesn't. Everyone that has ever been a server can't even tell you how to go about filing that claim, because it's never brought up.

The barber could easily charge for the shave AND accept a tip. Isn't logic fun?

ITT: triggered eurotrash

>ITT: triggered eurotrash
tipping is optional everywhere in europe.

cross out tip and write some useful advice on the line, usually they are fine with it

that's because it's included, you god damned faggot cuck

Lol servers can work Part-time, make enough for rent, and pay for their own school.

Are you seriously this NEET?

How much is a waiter paid in the US? Can't they afford an acceptable living with their salary only, or is it just greed that pushes them to ask for tips?