Are there any engineers here that can explain why we arent using these kinds of tires on our vehicles

Are there any engineers here that can explain why we arent using these kinds of tires on our vehicles

Looks expensive. Looks spongey, thus inefficient for gas.

Just a guess.

>expensive
Cant be any more expensive than a regular tire. It looks like its made of some kind of rubber

Seems legit.
I had to change my tire the other day and I remembered pic related exists.
Seems like people would be able to save money and headaches if all cars were switched with these.

They are just more expensive.
And nonstandard.
Beyond that its fine

They're very expensive and energy inefficient.
They're a specialized solution to a specialized problem that most people never encounter on the road.

If I'm not mistaken the comb structure is made of some kind of spring steel, and it would be a very difficult shape to machine, thus very expensive.
I believe it's also single use.

And also, even if it's not spring steel but some kind of polymer, it would certainly be more expensive than a regular old rubber tire wall.
If it's a polymer it looks to me that it would be some advanced polyurethany compound, and those can get very very expensive very quickly.
Nobody would buy a tyre that costs 150$ more than the standard one and offers no real advantages on the road.

This looks like they would wear out LOADS faster under regular use, and be less aerodynamic leading to higher gas use.

That's a bad design, small rocks will get into the tire tear it, also the rubber will deforme after a while. Standard tires are also better because you can adjust the pressure

Jesus christ you nerds need to get some offroading experience. You just deflate your tires, which is only ever useful when crossing sand or soft mud. You usually have a psi of around 25 when clearing obstacles, any less (like in OPs pic) then your just sacrificing lift and fucking your tires for no added traction.

more expensive
degrades faster / less robust
likely inefficient as fuck (probably only has reasonable application in rough terrain)
not actually useful, who needs it?

This is triggering my trypophobia

Nah it wouldnt be any better in rough terrain then a tire. Having a soft tire is pointless when you gain no surface area, all youre doing is loosing lift for a tiny increase in traction.

>everyone is telling him that they're not a good idea

>hurr durr fucking nerds

>road grit getting into the cells and fucking em up

Hey shit up faggit, Ive spent 30k over the past 5 years on my rocky. Pretending I know shit about offroading is all I have.

Deflating/inflating manually tires in 2017 anno domini should be outlawed.

you do you user.
good to hear atleast someone here has a hobby other than shitposting

What would happen if you accelerate fast from a stop with these? Wouldn't it collapse the tire?

Also if you hit a bump going fast wouldn't it resonate with the tire web?

Creep will set in fast with them tyres. Enjoy your square wheels.

LITERALLY
I
T
E
Reinventing the wheel
A
L
L
Y

You can also come up with a million and one reasons as to why rubber tires are bad. People are just too lazy and are afraid of change unless there's massive advantages.

We've already established that for 95% of the population, the standard wheel and tire is a more practical, and better performing method.

Fuck off with this "sheeple are afraid of new technology" middle-school-tier bullshit.

?
What is better or cheaper than a rubber tire?

People in the habit of getting their tires full of lead and depleted uranium?

Pneumatic tires are actually pretty fucking great.
Happens with pneumatic tires too. As long as you don't leave them parked for months it's not really a problem and kinda averages out.

>HEH PEOPLE ONLY CHANGE WHEN ITS BETTER, FUCKIN NORMIES
nigger i would hit you in the face with a bat if you said this to me IRL

cost and they don't last very long.