Is philosophy nothing more than mental masturbation?

Is philosophy nothing more than mental masturbation?

After the romans, yes

Before Kierkegaard, yes.

After the DFWians, yes.

Yeah. Sans the sloppy 'cumming' part. It's therefore morelike tantric NEVERENDING masturbation..

Pretty much everything that has to do with a Philosophy degree is masturbation.

Anyone who is philosophizing for anything but answers is masturbating.

After the mydiarydesuians, yes.

obligatory "anything post-Wittgenstein is masturbatory garbage" post

Only correct answer

Yes and no. Philosophers have to have some way to test their theories and axioms. The best way to do that Is to construct abstract hypothetical boundaries for their propositions (I.E, Question: What makes a person the same person? Hypothetical Boundary: Is an exact copy of someone the same person? If so, what are the implications?) Obviously we can't make exact copies of people (yet?) but we have to ask these things to set precedent.

It becomes mental masturbation when the axioms and hypothetical situations in question have no practical application.

>lawwwwjik
>good
>muh practicality
>good

It's actually anything post-Nietzsche.

Philosophy died on the year 1900.

What followed was post-modernist/structuralist French pseud-hacks on the one hand, and autistic pseudo-mathematical analytic Anglo-Saxons on the other.

ITT: Pseuds who think another person can "give" you philosophy.

>is it
Sometimes.
>nothing more than.
No.

who cares? you still orgasm

The frog actually gets it right.

My god.

No, its purpose is to seek knowledge which can be used to guide proper action.

Obviously it can get masturbatory just like anything else, but that's the realm of pseuds.

Is masturbation nothing else than corporeal philosophy?

Fuck, frog is correct.

philosophers are tourists, scientists are explorers

>
t. reddittors who think that repeating a joke a thousand times makes it funnier.

Philosophers are generals, scientists are soldiers.

Scientists don't listen to philosophers, philosophers are more like "redpilled" /r9k/ virgins, and scientists are chads.

Any philosophy that isn't mine is nothing more than mental masturbation, yes

Scientists who don't listen to philosophers are shitty scientists.

+1

Science built the atomic bomb, but it's philosophy that determines when to employ their use.

Philosophers are juicy cheeseburgers while scientists are the fries on the side.

>"ooga booga where the empirical evidence at"
scientists are literally the blacks of the intellectual disciplines

Is masturbation a bad thing? Feels pretty good to me.

OH EM GEE, user, TEE EM EYE!

Only people who pretend to be "deep" and "philosophical" uphold Nietzsche.

He's basically a pleb filter.

Sure, kiddo.
Now go watch TV.

Philosophy for philosophy's sake is ego-wank, yeah. However I would make the argument that using philosophy as a lens through which to analyse contemporaneous history holds some merit.

How about you stop worrying about whether philosophy is practical and enjoy it for what it is. A lot of the autists here with inferiority complexes to Veeky Forums might not like that but so be it.