Why is irony considered to be the only honest attitude?

Why is irony considered to be the only honest attitude?

If you're taking anything remotely serious, you get tagged an autist, le wrong generation, extremist, or what have you.
Any thinker who delved into a similar observation more deeply?

Other urls found in this thread:

olgasedakova.com/Moralia/280
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'll give you the meme answer: David Foster Wallace was taking about how tiresome that shit was getting in the mid 1990's. The internet has merely projected it to greater heights than ever before. It is commonplace to mock experts, people who dedicate their lives to study or to their works, and while this was once done out of jealousy it is now simply the herd mentality- being able to understand most ironic scenarios or craft irony from something is one of the most basic levels of intelligence and many people feel content to believe themselves intellectuals due to their understanding of irony. To go any further takes time, effort, passion, things that most people don't have all at the same time

Because on a society drowned by skeptical materialism the only consistent attitude is to mask your suffering with a layer of "le irony".

Does anyone consider it honest? I use it as an anaesthetic.

Sloterdijk.

In fairness, imagine if you left that pod of pink goo in the Matrix but Morpheus and the rest of the gang didn't show up, because you really weren't the Chosen One. Something just happened and you woke up that way. And then you just had to walk around in a hellscape by yourself. Chased by robots. With no pants.

No pants, user. THERE ARE NO PANTS

>tfw maybe there are pants tho
>jungian pants
>nietzschean pants
>heideggerian pants
>chinese pants
>stoic pants
>so many pants to be tried on

>Why is irony considered to be the only honest attitude?
You just made that up.

>Any thinker who delved into a similar observation more deeply?
Probably some wimpy weak boi incapable of detaching his thoughts from the emotional automatic responses of others and himself

Facing reality sincerely is too horrible

>drowning in skeptical materialism

Kek

lmfao

Yeah dude. So alpha. Beer, titties and weed. Joe Rogan podcasts and man the fuck up, bitch.

are you going to deny that the current most popular "philosophical" (between quotation marks, because it reeks of intellectual laziness) worldview is derived from a dogmatic belief in science and denial of everything that's not matter derived, going as far as to adjudicate every process in existence (and even existence itself) to matter alone.

Honest question (+ not that user), but what makes it intellectually lazy?
Surely Sam "Stiller the Mind" Harris is anything but a lazy mind.

Really, detach yourself, thought itself obviates the need to assume any particular "attitudes"

There's a difference between detachment and irony. A huge difference.

2 things,

1-the vast majority of normal people don't know what the fuck any of what you're talking about is, so how could our society be drowning it?

2-science gets results, while literally fuckig retarded pieces of shit like you just complain about the lack of dogmatic bullshit in the world these days

It's intellectually lazy because 99% (only an useful figure of speech) of the people that subscribe to that approach don't even attempt to rationalize it. Following it is an act of faith (something decried by the same train of thought).

The hate for philosophy in the hard science field is one of the biggest examples of it.

Well, agreed, and it's why I haven't type a thing about irony

I have difficulty differentiating between irony and humor in the context of "attitudes". I would say people choose and encourage humor over seriousness because being serious is exhausting.

>science gets results
Yes!

1. The vast majority of normal people don't know what the fuck any of what you're talking about is

Doesn't prevent them from acting that way.

2. >science gets results, while literally fuckig retarded pieces of shit like you just complain about the lack of dogmatic bullshit in the world these days

I'm not even saying that science isn't an useful tool (it fucking is). But to attempt to answer all of the questions with science alone, while considering everything that isn't answered by science alone, unimportant is just lazy and stupid.

We're all hipsters now.
I'm not even saying that as some meta-hipster who thinks he's above it. I feel it myself too, this pulse to immediately be the jester whenever an idea is brought up or a set of beliefs is presented. It's not a nihilism of the last century, but something more toxic in the long term.
Subcultures are seen as silly. If you're part of one after 20, you're some sort of loser who hasn't realized that everything's just a joke. Apparantly that's the final conclusion you need to reach.

I truly think Zizek has a point when he says that a conviction is a danger to the current status quo. Like love, for example. Much rather have an open relationship, be a hedonist nomad or some sort of adulthoodless manchild than anything truly defineable.

It's better to be a free floating detatched unit than a devoted believer.
Paradoxically, these very ironylords are the breeding ground for and very receptive to fascism. Look at Sam Hyde for example.

oh come on this is the same as debating jocks vs nerds

>It's not a nihilism of the last century, but something more toxic in the long term.

>Much rather have an open relationship, be a hedonist nomad or some sort of adulthoodless manchild than anything truly defineable.

Poor thing! You're already infected, and you can't even see it!

But this:
>Paradoxically, these very ironylords are the breeding ground for and very receptive to fascism.
is accurate

Can't even see what exactly?
I said in the very first sentence I don't think I'm above it.

good post desu

I really wanna blow her cock.

Whatever
>I truly think

There are no interesting questions that can't be answered by science

>muh meaning of life

Fuck off, if you even think about this just kys already that's clearly what's motivating you

>how to live a good life

People instinctually understand this, there is nothing to explore academically, do what your parents tell you until you know what to do yourself

I can't wait when AI makes you STEMtists expendable.

J U S T

Irony is shit. You only like it because "muh DFW muh Pynchon" but they're just temporary fashion. Irony is shit.

>I'm an atheist
>no, really!

I like the shamish attempt to glorify science's limitations

>there are no interesting questions that can't be answered by science

Thanks for only proving my point

What's the problem?

irony does not provide anything constructive. Its a purely deconstructive method. once this meme is over the better.

Actually it's the questions that make us most human that can't be answered by science.

But it's good to know that scientism and dense borderline depressive assholery always come in tandem. Makes it easier to avoid these people.

Problem is people think too much for their own good. It's a brainlet activity.

Because it's the critical mode par excellence, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, read criticism. That it is easier to know what you do not want as opposed to the reverse of course
>fans the flames

Irony has never been the way to the truth. Irony is basically the attitudes of faggots

intellectualy dishonest/lazy is a better insult and more aggravating.

I'm agnostic not atheist, the question of whether Magic sky daddy exists isn't interesting, I ignore it

Ethics is equally uninteresting. Everybody knows what to do, thieves know what they are doing is wrong, they either do it out of desperation or greed

2500 years of philosophy brought to its anticlimactic conclusion by agnoanon.

God might not real.
You know what to do.
Science solves what's important
Listen to dad. After that listen to superego dad.
Don't be a pussy.

Have you not been near normal people recently? All they do is turn anything into memes (not image memes but the origin of the word "meme") as part of their irony. They hear a song that has a "weird" part? That part is now a meme between their friend group. They hear or see anyone doing something genuine? Why the fuck would anyone want to do something seriously when you can just be ironic about your entire life as a mask of how boring and plain you are?

As someone who has been living and interacting with people like this, I can tell you it is 100% more exhausting than living with people who are serious all the time

>thieves know what they are doing is wrong, they either do it out of desperation or greed
I steal at supermarkets because fuck big companies though. It's wrong in the law sense but I see no harm done by wearing a jacket that someone else was going to pay 50 bucks for. In fact, I'm doing everyone else a favor by stealing it :^)

Most people are ultra-serious, including youths. People like me, on the other hand, am ultra-ironic.

Being agnostic is a trend.

>results
Why are these good?
Science cannot answer anything, it is impotent.
>People instinctually understand this,
No they don't. I cannot name many people that have lived a 'good life'.
>There are no interesting questions that can't be answered by science
Science can't answer anything, it's impotent and you embody its impotent rage.

See you know what to do

>why are results good?

They let us manipulate reality for whatever we like

It doesn't matter what percentage of people "live a good life", knowing what to do is easier than doing it

>science can't answer anything

If you wanna do philosophy Mumbo jumbo about "truth" or "answers", that's up to you, the rest of the real world will continue solving problems the only way that works

>They let us manipulate reality for whatever we like
Reality doesn't exist, it is an ideology projected onto existence.

Go back to riddit, ideologue.

Irony is not an attitude, but a figure of speech. Death is the truth, monkey.

And more ironic, pleb

>They let us manipulate reality for whatever we like

And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

That's just more Mumbo jumbo

Again, we live in the real world with real shit that requires real science to analyze. You can say it's not reality or whatever you want, those are just words

It will never change the way things work

>Death is the Truth, monkey.
You were tempted successfully.

You?

How ironic!

*masturbates his dick*
ahhhhhh *cums all over*

You want true irony? :^)
*tips fedora*
Death is the end boys. There is no God, there is no higher meaning. Science knows everything.

>Have you not been near normal people recently?
Obviously you haven't you raging autist

Science knows what it knows, I have no problems with Science, but its knowledge is ultimately tautological: a is a, b is boring. That's why little empty-headed sci-bots come here-- to make incredibly stupid pronouncements concerning books they haven't read, and therefore mistake for themselves: boring.

You sure you answered to the correct posts? My post was "ironical".

The coolest thing about modern life 2017AD: everything seems equally valid and reasonable from a perspective of total ironic alienation. I could wake up tomorrow and decide I just want to be a nazi. I'm pretty sure I can meme myself into believing anything regardless of how retarded it is. I could go full normie or be 'born again' into any fundamentalist sect of my choice. I could hop on to the ever trendy 'transgender' bandwagon and start taking estrogen pills. I could deliberately become a destitute 'problem gambler' or trade in everything I own for meth just because I can. It's all surface.

This is fantastic, but it also reads as the projected wish-fantasies of a paranoid moron.

That'll stop one day.
We've been here before. The syncretic stoic attitude towards it all. It's only fun for a bit.
A new religiousness on the horizon.

Is this what being a Buddha feels like?

I'm generally behaving like a wish-fantasist paranoid moron these days, so I can't really get too angry about that. Glad the post was otherwise helpful to you.

It wasn't necessarily helpful, but it was fun. Thanks.

Oh. I wasn't trying to be mean, cheap, or anything, user. I just saw the meme and responded. That's it.

>a dogmatic belief in science

What? Modern society rejected real science ages ago. We now have to deny our critical faculties and if a man says "I'm a woman" we have to believe him. In the past few decades epistemology has been replaced by "muh feelies". I use this only as an example of where real philosophy would be useful in the modern age but people just shrug their shoulders.

Xenofeminism and HD non euclidian gender customisation options are the inevitable outcome of modern biotechnics. get with the times, meatbag.

Read this and pic related.

Well, there was your explanation:

>mumbo-jumbo
Stop talking, ideologue.
>the way things work
According to?

Nothing works, you only project working onto it and make everybody suffer by it.
>faculties
muh senses are right because muh ideology does not function without rejecting itself and presuming senses are perfect.

Your infatuation in science is based upon 'muh feelies'. There is no valid epistemological basis for science.

>A new religiousness on the horizon.
Are you sure that you aren't just getting memed by the next thing that comes along because what you really want is to cling to your 'sanity' and your vanishing sense of self?

Ah, the second essay is cut right before she talks about the fashion of pretending to be detached and see things on universal scale (of which eternal irony can be part).

If you are masochistic, you can use automatic translation of the full text in Russian: olgasedakova.com/Moralia/280

Everything is always funny if you look at it from the right angle. And why not do so?

>Does anyone consider it honest? not at all.
only the speaker knows.

i think people confuse irony + sarcasm + method acting

When you're a sincere sensitive person you have to be so honest you're mistaken for copypasta.

This isn't at all my personal desire.
I'm afraid that this will happen. I don't welcome a return of it. I'm afraid that people will grow tired of this global nomadism and seek the 'sanity' of religion once more.

>thread proving millennials are disloyal hipsters who "juz wunna meme" and think this ironic LARP-ing posturing is somehow a validating existence

The upcoming generation will produce Hitlers the sort of which history has never seen. I believe 20th century fascism will be nothing compared to what we'll see now.
Not even joking or even enthusiastic about this. But this Flapper bullshit is gonna hit its climax real fucking soon.

Who are you quoting?

My inner dialogue

>The upcoming generation will produce Hitlers the sort of which history has never seen.

what's wrong with being tagged an extremist? irony is only a shield the insecure carry with them to avoid persecution. sometimes it is funny i guess.

Sam Hyde has been dropped 2 times already.
There's something to it. He's such a meta post-irony memelord and now spends his days retweeting every white supremacist twitter account out there.

By this point, I'd be pretty disappointed if he doesn't pull off an 'ironic' ritual suicide a la Mishima

I agree with this. Maybe it's a stupid comparison, but irony is used as a shield when you like something that would be embarrasing to your peers.

So many people liking anime only to claim that they're not the same as those cringy otakus and only watch the anime "ironically" and for the memes.

It's intellectualy dishonest and hypocritical.

He was originally going to vote for Bernie. I don't know, extremely IQ people interest me because none of them, really, act very much at all like just regular smart people. Then again there are those faggy pop physicists public programming always pushes to represent the tip, but in actuality the lot are a basket case and I say this as someone with verifiable autistic obsession and experience. I know you probably don't care but for some weird reason I'm just typing away here. That being said his IQ is 165 and I think at that level people are most concerned with getting the most bang out of their buck as far as every second they have to spend on earth goes in terms of influencing what they value because they're all social at that point and the world isn't exactly accommodating to that. Maybe you completely disagree, but I feel like just throwing this notion out there anyway at least. It almost seems like Sam brainwashed himself to engage emotionally with the politics he now represents. I mean, go through his videos and his personas flip and flop just as his literal identity does. I don't necessarily think oh sam's an amazing genius who's done so much but he does what he has to do to grind through the worst of the worst to get what he most urgently knows needs to be done for himself ultimately but in a very long term. perhaps he is a failure but he does act on a quite abstract order of business

Sorry, laugh at me. Whatever. I just felt like saying it.

How do you know his IQ?

In Hydewars he implied Sam Harris, identifying him as a Jew and then staring into the camera, is hypnotizing us with his voice.
Operating on another level.

Sam Hyde is not a human being, well, he probably was one, long time ago, but definitely not anymore. the entity once known as Sam Hyde is what gallic post structuralist sages would call a an hyperreal schizofascist warmachine simulacrum multimedia happening, a vicious glitch in the current system of spectacular domination. He is not of our world, but an invader from the realm of cybernetics, perhaps demonic in nature.

This is eerily accurate...

Veeky Forumss getting weird lol

Demonic in the sense sentience's inherent vulnerability in a paradoxical universe can only be exploited to solicit higher dimensional back door worms such is Jaden Smith, Jim Morrison et al. though Sam's vessel was hijacked rather than genetically engineered or sperm selected.

d-did I LARP right

It's not LARPing it's called HYPERSTITION! you just don't get it mom

Irony is considered "honest" because if you are being sincere and optimistic rather than ironic and cynical, people can assume you are an idiot who isn't aware of the worst the world has to offer.

Irony is a shield that helps you deal with absurdity of late capitalism. At first, it was a tool used by the intellectual left to criticize and mock the subtle ridiculousness of our culture.

Nowadays (and this is very, very apparent within the past year) irony has merely become a tool to excuse cynicism and promote hatred. I'm guessing there will be a huge shift to sincerity within the culture and arts very soon. (normies engaging with memes and surface level irony is negligible considering it's superficial).

Depending on your viewpoint, Trump represents postmodern irony coming to an abrupt end, or he represents its status as the default attitude of modern American culture. It's been wholly subsumed into the culture, to the point it has allowed a clearly unqualified candidate (don't argue this with me. even if you support Trump, you cannot say he was qualified for the position at all) reach the presidency.
Trump literally contradicts the veneer of every president preceding him, and that is exactly what him the ideal pick. He wasn't a political stooge- his muddled ambitions were more desirable than Clinton's political ambitions. His lack of knowledge and "frankness" (which was nothing more than ironic shield accepting his blatant flaws to the chagrin of his dubious opponent), paired with his ironic showmanship were more desirable than legitimate experience. It's a mess, regardless of how you hash it.