Does reading increase the IQ

does reading increase the IQ

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pp06oGD4m00
quora.com/What-is-more-beneficial-in-life-a-high-EQ-or-IQ/answer/Jordan-B-Peterson
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

IQ tests only tell how good people are at answering IQ tests
statistics are a meme: see democracy
just start with the greeks and lift weights

As we all know, IQ is pretty much determined by what race you're in. If you're skrewed, you are skrewed for good, nothing you can do dumbhead

>t. brainlet
Memeing aside, intelligence is something you're born with. Reading may provide you with extra knowledge/perspective, but it's not gonna make you more intelligent.

Hitchen's razor would like a word with you.

IQ is a spook.

>IQ tests only tell how good people are at answering IQ tests

IQ is one of the single best predictors of success we know of. We don't know exactly what it measures but we know its really really important.

unless you are in the insane genius level of 160iq+ (or in the retard level of less than 90), how intelligent you are doesnt really matter
130iq will be able to make more money (if they make the "right" decisions) than people with 100iq, but 100iq people will not be starving or whatever

iq is a conspirasy to make you feel stupid

>Intelligence doesn't matter its just that intelligent people do better than less intelligent people

hmmm

notice how none of the super high iq (~200) ppl accomplished anything worthwhile during their lives

>Does art and philosophy increase intelligence?

No.

Wisdom ≠ Intelligence.

Notice how people with an IQ >200 never mention it?

I'm implying you don't know what the fuck people with iq200 accomplish.

because theres nothing to mention, they do nothing

IQ absolutely changes in response to practice.

Yeah, thats true, but what I'm trying to say is that if you go and take a test and you get a high score it doesn't make you instantly a succes or a failure if you get a low score. There are people with higher IQ than Einstein but they haven't made any contributions to science (or whatever their field is) as important as his.
It may sound obvious (because it is) but I'm guessing OP is feeling some kind of anxiety about his IQ, while is not really relevant to your subjective experience of life, unless, of course, you obsess over it.

Terrance Tao has an iq of above 200 (not even really sure what this means, I've seen conflicting information on the subject) and pretty much everyone agrees he is the greatest living mathematician

>reading is practice

He was a PhD at 21, lol, what a madman

>unapplied abilities yield no results
wew what a profound observation

wish i was greatest living mathematician :(

that wasn't really the point but ok

the chinaman can never be truly intelligent, only cunning and maybe skilled at puzzles and trickery, and after all, what are IQ tests but puzzles and trickery?

As with everything else you do often enough, if you aren't careful it can only leave you dumber

made me think
Can you give me some examples of how reading can make me dumber?

this

ugh. have u even read stirner? everything's like a spook man. biology, logic, culture, the economy, morals all fake af, all spooks. But marxism, and sjw 'transgender' pronouns those are totally real, wow. just wow.

Do people on this board legitimately believe this?

wew no actual rebuttal except for buzzwords

fuck off dumbass

>2017
>Not being a biodeterminist

It wasn't supposed to be a rebuttal, just an illustration of how trivial his observations are. Bugger off back to pol with your idiotic prepackaged responses and lack of reading comprehension, autismo.

I've wasted my youth on Veeky Forums

ITT: brainlets trying to disprove IQ to feel better

I'm also a brainlet but let's be real here.

IQ threads belong on

>tfw low iq but work hard and then convince yourself you must have a higher iq now and get conceited and stop trying and people now think youre exactly as smart as you are no wait shit

What are you some books you've been checking out but have been too afraid to actually open because of your IQ being in the bracket just below required?

For me it's, "The Stranger".

Why dont people with high IQs put it in their resumes? Surely an employer would be interested in someone with a 140 iq, even if it is an abstract number in relation to the job

90 percent of the time the stirner spook meme is just a rationalisation for the same faggy establishment marxist nihilist views you get from your standard issue jewish professor. It's about time you grow up embrace the harsh truths of life and realise being a fashy goy is the answer

It increases knowledge

lol, my man, that is like sub-80s or something, the stranger is fucking light weight

even Nausea, the densest of all existential french fictions, is only lower middle weight

you should have more faith in yourself

What about Waiting for Godot?

fashy goy reporting in

come back when you've wasted your life

not french brudda

This lecture on adding infinitely large prime numbers gave me a panic attack.
youtube.com/watch?v=pp06oGD4m00

Looool you're fine my man check the book out and enjoy it. Don't worry about getting it the first time around but it's not as cryptic as you've probably convinced yourself

Mel Gibson truly is /ourguy/.

holy...i want more...

lmao

How did he make it until 2006 before being banished?

No, except if you re reading Wittgenstein, that shit will make your neocortex grow.

IQs are only about being good enough to the point of not surpassing the recruiter

CVs

Literature? No, it increases your EQ, emotional intelligence, and your understanding of yourself and others, maybe your intrapersonal intelligence, which I think is just as important, if not more important than pure IQ. If you want to increase your IQ, you need to really push your intellect with advanced philosophy or mathematics.

I'm only up to chapter 5 of Ulysses.

It's too hard.

T. IQ137

(And no, I'm not comming back to this thread, cos I know you cunts will post spoilers)

does IQ increase reading?

Dont bother its complete and utter shit

Bloom is Stephen's father

(Not literally, though.)

quora.com/What-is-more-beneficial-in-life-a-high-EQ-or-IQ/answer/Jordan-B-Peterson
Emotional intelligence does not exist.

Using your brain in general raises your IQ, but only to an individual biological limit.

I don't know where you come from but you have to go back

Also IQ is pseudo science

>Also IQ is pseudo science
Nope.

>can be measured
>highly correlated with academic success

Okay I guess

>proof based entirely on studies and "lol it just makes sense bro"
>real science
pick 1 (one)

i fail to see how correlation is enough to class something as scientific

This entire worship of IQ in our societies is ridiculous and unjustifiable desu, it's an arbitrary score on a meaningless test that hasn't been scientifically proven to represent intelligence (psychometrics is a pseudo science and there's no argument against this) and intelligence is something that is very difficult to define in the first place

Also the Flynn effect shows it's not trustworthy

It is the most well-validated concept in the social sciences, bar none. It is an excellent predictor of academic performance, creativity, ability to abstract, processing speed, learning ability and general life success. The true relationship between grades, for example, and IQ might be as high as r = .50. In fact, if you could choose to be born at the 95th percentile for wealth, or the 95th percentile for IQ, you would be more successful at age 40 as a consequence of the latter choice.

>social sciences
kek

I trust it just about as much as psychoanalysis

Lol no

Nobody ask you to trust anything retard. But obviously you are unfamiliar with the extensive litterature on IQ, which you conviently turn into "I don't know what I am talking about thus it must be false".

Sure could include a source or two but I guess I'll just take his word for everything.

*IQ tests only tell how good people are at recognizing patterns
and it just so happens the ability to recognize patterns is useful in just about every human pursuit

which is why is true

the system can be gamed if you practice enough though, because iq tests tend to use similar puzzles, which is why there are people with 160+ IQs who don't seem to ever accomplish anything

"successful" people tend to be at 120 or higher

EQ is pseudoscience made up by liberals to feel better about themselves having a shit IQ. Intelligence is quantifiable. Emotion is not.

Lot of misinformation here. Not that I know everything about IQ.
Reading Scott Barry Kaufman might be a good start.

He might be wrong on creativity, while it needs to be tested, some claim that only up to a point does IQ predict creativity and a too high IQ might be bad for creativity
Might continue

Continued
I read his whole response. He might turn out to be right if he isn't already. But cannot understand how a man like him falls for Jung and Freud when he takes such a firm stance against things like self-esteem, EQ and grit.

I've come across another author who also claimed self-esteem is no useful concept in science. I think confidence could be another one.

As for EQ, stuff like the theory of mind and mentalizing seem to be valid at this point, so I am not sure whatever to fully ditch EQ. His critique that the Big Five already does what the EQ tries to do is very valid.

That is why I think we need to do tests on mentalizing and not self-test questionnaires.

>used to think I was smart
>everyone considered me so
>in actuality I'm just knowledgeable because I spend all my time on Veeky Forums and wikipedia
>realize friend of mine is smarter than me
>beats me at most video games, puzzles, and just life problems in general
>the only things I can beat him at are mindless trivia
>get jealous then depressed
>begin to wonder if every decision that I make that he doesn't do is wrong
Every time

Source: my sloppy asshole.

That is Jordan Peterson he is quoting. I don't like Peterson but we can expect him to know a thing or two about psychology.
I think he could turn out to be wrong, that's all.

Uh, you are aware that good companies test you for various mental abilities (maths, logic, general knowledge, writing etc), in large part very similarly to an IQ test, right?

I landed my comfy job just by acing the tests with no connections and barely any relevant qualifications.

>If you want to increase your IQ, you need to really push your intellect with advanced philosophy
Math major here, what kind of advanced philosophy are you talking about? I've already dabbled with the Greeks.

I've wasted my entire life on this board

Another person spouting nonsense without any source to back it up. But I shouldn't expect it from this board either.

>ugh. have u even read stirner?
right back at you, bud

>more successful
uhuh

intelligence is a spook

IQ doesn't increase only decreases, don't worry tho in a few years we'll all be wearing ai chips in our heads

That's horseshit, a person has a lower IQ when he is a child than he has when he is a grown-up.

intelligent people don't worry about their intelligence, they just live. but read as much as you can, and often.

This sound like a the LN hyouka

this

I'm at roughly 135 and a fucking loser. My IQ only makes me more miserable because I'm surrounded by avg iq fucks at my shit job and have to endure pleb music and pretend to be interested in retard conversations. Plus have to constantly repress the urge to point out my boss' idiocy.

Wrong. The only predictor of success we have is vocabulary. True story.

>reading isn't practice

srsly? you're on fucking lit. how is reading not practice?

I don't think IQ changes that much. You can be high IQ and useless because of bad habits, or low IQ and skilled/successful because of good habits. However the speed of your brain is pretty much fixed. How do I know? Because I'm a slow retard no matter what I do.