>>9194578

>NASA
You mean Elon.

Elon is headed straight for Mars in his mind.

Musk is so fucking Alpha that he's gonna skip the worthless moon completey and go straight to Mars.

>Russia and the United States

Thank god. We don't want China to do it first.

Need chad mars and virgin moon meme.

fucking finally, it took them long enough to start caring about the moon again.

Is that before or after he finally orbits an astronaut?

Because I've been waiting. For him. To orbit an astronaut.

damn this makes me hype

seems like the last ISS partner is fully signed on to the next space station. japan, canada, and the esa were already pretty much locked into the deep space gateway program (DSG). russia's contribution to the DSG has been conceived as pretty limited because their civilian space program's lack of funding. right now they're expected to maybe build the docking module for the DSG, but it's not all bad since the DSG will be much smaller than the ISS anyway.

the details of the DSG program are still being worked out, but we should likely see it being constructed sometime in the 2020s as the ISS program winds down. nasa hopes to reduce it's role it the ISS because of the financial burden it takes (~$4bn USD a year), but finding organizations to take on the financial costs have been difficult. brazil quit the ISS program years ago and both india and south korea gave up because it was deemed to expensive to join the program. alot of companies are now involved in doing business with the ISS and more join as time goes on, so maybe we'll some sort of private-public partnership pick up the costs to operate the station. nasa has stated that they want to abandon LEO, leaving it to commercial space, but we'll see if they actually do. we've got until at least 2024. at that point the DSG program should be well underway.

no matter what happens though, the DSG is planned to be alot smaller than the ISS (see the OP and my pic) but the costs will still be high because of it's remote location. sending stuff to LEO is alot cheaper than sending it to cis-lunar space. also the station will primarily be focused on manned exploration of the inner solar system instead of general space science like the ISS, but new technologies will be developed for it, including much better life support systems than the ISS, and the possible deployment of a solar sail to keep the DSG in the correct orbit (pic related).

How big of a rocket would it take to get something like a Salyut in to moon orbit?

i think the two really interesting variables when it comes to lunar exploration is the role of china and commercial space. china is effectively banned from doing work with nasa, and they have their own lunar exploration program too. i don't think we'll see a space race happen, but we may end up having two separate manned lunar programs again (like back in the 1960s) but this time around both programs may get their people on the surface instead of just one. as for commercial space, nasa has been providing funding and assistance for companies who want to take a role in lunar exploration (pic related is an example of from lockmart). alot of it is for companies to provide competing architectures for the DSG, but there are other things too, including a re-usable lander which may act as the primary transport system between the moon and the DSG.

space has been really interesting over the past 10 years and it may be way more interesting over the next 10.

this shit made me realise that the moon landing was faked

fuck orbit, how about just launch a falcon with someone onboard.

???

As far as commercial space goes, it wont get into heavy commercialization (Eg tourism) for a long time yet.

realistically, the current bunch of space companies are basically the guys who see the big picture and are willing to be the pioneers. And, in general, are basically just acting as glorified contractors for NASA, since it's cheaper to pay a third party to do all the R&D for them

It was lazy bait, user

Its all fake.
Space is science fiction.
Earth is a stationary plane. Polaris is the bearing for the sky to turn upon. The seas are level. Moonlight is cold. The sky is blue because the sunlight is bending thru the atmosplane. You need a mirror to make a rainbow indoors. NASA is a religion.

Astronauts orbit him, he doesn't orbit astronauts.

the technology wasnt there yet otherwise this project wouldve happened years ago

wow you opened my eyes
...and my anus

So you're going to pointedly disregard how fucking notorious government programs are for their unparalleled laziness and corruption
Just going to ignore the utter farce the space shuttle program was, that got fucktons of funding for years despite being even worse than literally everything NASA had made previously

They didn't do jack shit not because of some magical conspiracy, they didn't do anything because they could sit around with their thumbs in their asses and still get 20 billion dollars a year
The only reason NASA is considering doing anything at all is because of SpaceX making them look like the pack of lazy retards they are

Had Elon not decided to make SpaceX, the deep space gateway project probably would not exist, and if it did, they'd announce that they work on it until the fucking 2040s before launching a single part, and they'd sit cozy with their billions and billions, embezzling most of it for whatever the fuck they wanted

Think shit through you spacker, decade spanning global conspiracies are far less likely than regular fucking corruption, since the former has never happened, and the latter has happened continuously for the last 5 thousand years

it just doesnt make sense to me
are we rediscovering ancient technology here or what? anyway we will see when they start launching something big into moons orbit again so we can compare the ammount of fuel and shit
but I dont want to derail the thread even further so dont bother replying

you will get all the responses for being a retard

There's a key difference between having the tech, and having a working station
They need to design the thing, order all the materials, build the rockets, build the payload, put it all together, and then launch it part by part and then flawlessly assemble it together, either roboticly, or by somebody in a bulky ass spacesuit

Even if they were going full tilt as fast as possible, which they are not, it would still take some time to do, people can only work so quickly when absolute perfection on every last weld is mandatory

This isn't a video game, there's a lot more to these things than just throwing minerals at it and fuel barrels

With what rocket?

Nah, just beta Veeky Forums cucks.