How is your semester going, Veeky Forums? Interesting classes? Cool research? Are you dying?

How is your semester going, Veeky Forums? Interesting classes? Cool research? Are you dying?
I have
>Electrostatics - ball-busting calculations with a French madman professor who takes pride in his ability to trick us on tests
>Relativity - math isn't difficult but is obfuscated by strange notation so far, presumably to compensate for much more difficult math later, prof is nice but is too caught up in LIGO work to prepare notes to explain fuck-all in lectures
>Quantum I - autistic linear algebra nonsense
>Thermodynamics - easy but boring, seems way too imaginary to actually apply beyond muh arbitrary perfect adiabatic quasistatic box
>Geophysics - cool shit with professor talking about whatever interests him that day, does research trying to predict earthquakes with machine learning (???)

nice blog post

The point was for everyone to blogpost, lad. Sometimes that can be nice.

>mathematical structures in computer science - i finally get to use homological algebra, algebraic topology and model theory for something remotly close to real world
>formal analysis and verification - maybe in a century, when every programmer has to go through this course, computers won't be garbage
Currently playing with forest automatas in context of formal verification of concurrent systems.
>inb4 CS brainlet
I'm in a pure math masters programme, my bachelors thesis was on direct sum decompositions of generalized lattices. I'm not taking CS courses (want to spend credits elsewhere), i'm just going to the classes because i find it interesting and i have a gap in schedule that fits them in perfectly.

Nice. Sounds like where I want to be in a few years. What text are you using for mathematical structures in computer science?

A pdf written by the prof, around 2k pages, pretty detailed. Supplemented by various chapters from books which are mostly undergrad-level like Van der Waerden's Algebra, Birkhoff+MacLane's Applied algebra, Lang's Algebra (graduate version, but it's really an undergrad book for an average math student), Nerode+Shore Logic for applications, Cameron's Logic with categories, etc.

>linear algebra
>autistic
buckle up kid thats the easy part

It's not difficult math once I can decipher what's going on, it's just incredibly hard to figure out what we're doing and why we're doing it. The textbook consists almost entirely of linear algebra proofs starting from nothing and going nowhere. An entire section might be devoted to an example of finding eigenstates for an operator, but not once does it explain what that accomplishes or what it means in any bigger picture at all.

Learning about crypto and ML this semester. Pretty fun.

Formal Verification is cool. I want to pursue after studying it a bit last year.

networks and data communications is the most boring thing ever

database and database management systems is possibly a close contender for most boring thing ever

ethical hacking and cryptography is hella cool because if I put my hoodie on while I'm copy pasting SQL injections off google I get to feel like mr robot

t. Person who has never worked a real job, is entirely on daddies money, and will never accomplish anything noteworthy

>t. Person who has never worked a real job, is entirely on daddies money, and will never accomplish anything noteworthy

>mathematical structures in computer science - i finally get to use homological algebra, algebraic topology and model theory for something remotly close to real world

I'm jealous desu. Also in a master's program but I went the applied route because muh jobs.

are you a grad student?

yup

nigga u don't even know
What if I told you the spectrum of eigenstates of a physical system are the only stable solutions of the dynamical Hamiltonians they're produced from?

What if I told you that that's all of quantum mechanics?

fysics is fun

kekimus maximus

Amdvaced c++ turns out to be mor fun and more chalengeing than expected.
Signals is shit as expected
I like java more than I tought I would

Taking a course in quantum field theory and doing some prep for research involving instantons and monopoles. Learning a lot about QCD.

>Electrostatics - ball-busting calculations
Electrostatic is trivial.

Feeling less Human
Like Mark Zuckerberg

>LIGO
you at MIT? whos the prof?

or caltech i think it was my bad, i remember the mit guy was the one who built it, he was one of my friends' undergrad advisor

LIGO has contributors from a lot of places, the Nobel only went to three who were leaders of it. I'm at Georgia Tech and we have two really cool professors involved in it. One gives public talks about it here frequently, the other travels so much I never see her.
Not a grad student, third year of undergrad. Relativity and geophysics overlap with grad students, the rest are all undergrad only.
Trivial to who, people who have been in the field for 15 years?
You'd have to literally be an autist to think finding multipole expansions and potential fields around crazy conductors and dielectrics is trivial. The professor himself says he hates the tedious calculations.

Definitely cool, i find formal methods the most interesting part of CS. Are you in undergrad? There's lots of opportunities for research, both theoretical and practical.
Education in first world countries is free, mr projetor. I'm not likely to work a real job since i want to pursue academic career. Considering i've already put out few papers in impactful journals, i'd say i'm on a good track.
I find applied harder than pure, but that might just be because i enjoy pure more.

Terrible. It's mostly because I'm autistic as fuck and cant get along with anyone though. I can't even think straight in a classroom setting and am pretty much begging for death every second of every lab because the fucking teacher MANDATES that every student team up for a semester long project. It's utter bullshit because the project is a one man project anyways. I cant even think with all these fucking normies getting in my space. I wish they'd all just fuck off and let me do my work.

WTF? Why do you need to team up if it's a 1 man project? Also, just team up with another sperg and just never speak to eachtother. Pick a fat neckbeard and you're good to go.

Not even an option because the teacher assigned the groups himself. His rationale was something like "you'll be working in teams on the job so you work on teams now." Electrical Engineering, by the way. As if that's not bad enough, he requires that we meet outside of class in order to discuss the project (even if it's not necessary at all) and will actual mark us down on our grade if we don't. It's completely fucked.

>was the top student in my Measure Theory course last semester
>somehow utterly fail an exam on ODEs a few days ago

After 3 years I still can't get past how either retarded or full on autism my peers are.

Undergrad is hidden under the lie tha is just linear algebra. It's actually functional analysis and not trivial at all, but physicists think everything just werks, but punish you when you didn't consider the cases were it didn't.

Undergra QM*

measure theory is just stats, it's basically applied math.
no airplane ever build depended on some function being lebesque integrable but not riemann integrable

>Group project set, do a bunch of numerically solving of matrices, checking condition number, random error and stuff
>work with friends on the group project (people I did a group project with last semester)
>My usual rule is that when it comes to group projects and coding I do the all the code myself and write the entire code section of the report myself. All these lazy bum aussie engineers all are coding turbo-brainlets
>I let my guard down because I know them, allow them to take a larger portion of the project than I otherwise would
>They finish their parts close to the submission date. (I would have completed it when I had time, first week after it was set.)
>I take their word for it that it's good because I don't have time to check it because another group assignment is fucked. (group of 7, where only myself and one other person are submitted anything. So i'm writing that whole thing in 2 days.)
>the grade back, 45%
This unit doesn't fail you for failing an individual component (unless it's the final exam), so I can still make this up.
If I get 100% on he next group assignment (with the same people) by doing it all my self, and then 100% on the final exam. I can still get a grade of 89%. Which will still give me full GPA points.

I probably wont be working with friends again, I let my guard down, and I also can't roast them in peer review. I can't roast them because that are hard working, they are just dumb.
>tfw first time making friends tbhlads

Yeah so I spend my time at uni 9am to 7:25pm each day now, preparing for exams, and on the final 2 group projects of semester.
Only 4 weeks until final exams.

My semester will start next week, German here
I'm quite excited for quantum field theory and theoretical particle physics, as well as some programming in C
I'm also going to have thermodynamics with a professor whom everyone describes as being the absolute uber autist. He also wrote his own Wikipedia article

>He also wrote his own Wikipedia article
Look at this badass.

>Vector analysis
Basic vector analysis for babies, easy shit.
>Functional analysis
Introductory course in functional analysis stuff. "Elements of linear functional analysis including Banach and Hilbert spaces and linear operators between them, three basic principles, and applications to differential equations". Semi tough since I'm taking it 3 years in advance.
>Real analysis
A bit weird name for the course. "Basics on real analysis, like L^p spaces, convolution, covering theorems, Lebesgue's differentiation theorem, BV- and absolutely continuous functions." Having a hard time with this one because I'm a brainlet and taking it 3-4 years in advance. Thank god it's almost over.
>Advanced mathematical tools for physicists.
Some semi advanced complex analysis tools for physicists. Pretty difficult because the lecturer sucks and I lack the pre-regs. At least I'll have a solid grounding for actual complex analysis later this year after I'm done with this shit.
>Casual mathematical tools for physcisists.
Baby level high school math. Just doing it for the creds.

Second year math student.

>measure theory is just stats, it's basically applied math.
Um, what? In my university, it's a pure math elective, so idk what you mean by this.

some of my fellow undergrads are taking QFT and its absolutely killing them. I'm praying for you user. What have you guys learned so far?

damn user I like ((your)) program, at Ohio state we either get the choice to take Honors Quantum for 2 semesters simultaneous w/ Honors E+M for 2 sems or only take 1 semester each of regular.

our only general relativity course is offered every 1.5 years :\

>failing at ODE's

might want to just neck yourself mate

good luck mein neiger

if you don't already know complex analysis strap in for an ass fucking my friend

If you are studying to be an engineer and can't do group work, you're fucked.

>complex analysis I
>real analysis I
>biology I
>sociology of medicine
I was considering taking classes to prepare to write the MCAT when I graduate but (conveniently) decided against it past the final class-drop date, so I'm stuck with those bullshit classes. Thankfully I can use the biology to replace an elective I took a long time ago. Sadly the sociology is effectively useless and potentially a completely wasted credit, but I might fill it with something else later. dunno.

The prospect of taking a bunch of 1st year lab courses turned me off, so I changed back to math.

Not in uni so it doesn't matter.

I know that fucking feel bro. The thing is I'm not even maximus autismus, I actually can socialize fairly well. It's just that working with other people within a very short time frame breaks my concentration.

>MFW everyone is tripping out over improper integrals

>Electrostatics
I don't like it. It is the first class I take in which I "get it" but don't actually get it. I feel like if this professor was challenging us the way math professors typically do then I'd fail. I am doing well because he always asks questions about scenarios he directly covered in class, except maybe with a different distribution of charge density. I am just glad I am not a physicist and I'm sure I'll never take a physics course never again. Physics was a mistake.

>Ordinary differential equations
I find this course easy but also really interesting. ODEs are just chill. They are the pinnacle of what I believe math should be about. I say this because after the trivial cases there is no way to just deduce an answer. Every technique comes from first conjecturing that a solution may have some specific form and then inquiring from that. It is amazing. Even in the simplest case of linear equations with constant coefficients someone first had to think "Hmm, lets say that [math] y = e^{cx} [/math] and see what happens". It is just my kind of math.

>Linear Algebra 2
I am doing great in this course and I love it. Linear Algebra is like going on a safari where the jungles are vector spaces and the animals are matrices. There is just so much to discover. I really could not imagine so many interesting things could be discovered in an array of numbers. Things like the Jordan form blow my mind, it is just so ingenious and beautiful. Every theorem is an experience and the proof is a journey.

>Numerical Analysis
I like this course and I'm learning a lot but there is not much to say about it. We deduce an algorithm, we use said algorithm to solve some interesting problem, then we deduce another algorithm. Repeat until time runs out. It's okay but certainly nothing to go crazy about. I am just glad I am learning to use Matlab.

>Statistics and Probability
Another safari course. Everything is so cool. Probability distributions are such a great idea.

If you're a big fan of probability distributions and linear algebra, quantum mechanics combines those in a cool way. Maybe you're the type of mathematician who feels like applications ruin your "safari" feeling, but it's almost as abstract as physics can get.

>Advanced Quantum Condensed Matter Physics
Seems okay

>Atomic and Optical Physics
Easy so far and the lecturer is very good, probably my favorite course right now.

>Theories of Quantum Matter
It's more mathematically intensive than I'm used to and I don't really know if I can deal with it.

>Biological Physics
The subject matter is interesting but the lectures and materials are irrelevant, confusing and useless and the workload large (and questions take me a while because they have nothing to do with what is being taught). All this could be forgiven if the course at least followed one or two textbooks but there's bits and pieces from like 5+ books.

I just don't think it will be healthy to study more physics given that I won't be a physicist. If I were to study quantum physics it would be on my own and my own time would be better spent learning more math.

>Philosophy: Logic
I had some extra room in my schedule, and the classes I'd otherwise want are either super filled, or aren't offered in the fall
>Genomics and Proteomics Technology
Basically learning about sequencing techniques, how to classify genes and proteins, a bit of bioinformatics- fun shit all in all. Biology is the shit.
>Advanced Genomics
Just a requirement for my major, basically a rundown of Genomics as a field, as well as a lot of the shit I'm going into more in-depth in my other genome class.

Any other gene/molecular bio bros here?

sigma algebras being "pure math" doesnt imply that measure theory isnt used 99% by applied stats people. (yeah I used a double negative. deal with it)
nobody uses lebesgue integrals besides them. nobody needs the convergence theorems besides them.

Got my first proper job offer from Honeywell
65K, 3K signing bonus. I have another offer from a startup for the same salary and equity.
How hard can I negotiate with Honeywell for a higher salary?

>yeah I used a double negative. deal with it
Are you on the spectrum by any chance

Just completed..
Control systems, was shit and I hated it but wasn't too hard, the lecturer was Syrian though and there were spelling mistakes in nearly every questions of the exam.
Computational statics and dynamics, sort of speaks for itself really, but for some reason none of the assessment required the computational software to be used.
Heat and mass, wasn't too bad, pretty much a continuation of thermodynamics to an extent, I enjoyed it

new copypasta

sounds really cool OP
biochem bro here, seems like you got yourself a good deal

here's mine
>physical biochemistry
mad russian professor
>bioenergetics, biosynthesis and metabolic regulation
probably the hardest module this year, cool professor, doesn't treat us like brainlets that we are
>applications of molecular genetics
useful
>developmental biology
fascinating
>molecular biology
starts next term
>microbiology
starts next term
>protein structure and function
high contrast of interesting and really tedious things
>neuronal and cellular signaling
basically neuroscience

Not bad, but tedious at points

>nuclear physics
no tests or homework we just have to do reading and answer and ask questions on this website our professor uses. Its a little weird but one less thing to study for

>stat mech
goddamn joke fucking class except our professor is obsessed with making us 'fysiks ninjaz' so makes us do a bunch of poorly worded vague questions and math substitution fuckery to solve ordinary stat. mech problems. She literally makes uncomplicated things as complicated as possible

just to put a cherry on top
>the grader is a pedantic fuck
literally takes half points off a question because they can't understand algebra. Deezus christ

>dynamical systems
easy class, taught by a bro-tier russian professor. Met a nice blonde girl there and fucked her. I actually like her too, which is opposite my usual attitude towards girl I have sex with. We both love movies and shes a bro

>Contemporary Social and Moral Problems in the US (Philosophy)
easier class, everything we have to do is readings on philosophy and writing assignments, the professor is a bro who just wants us to learn to argue good so its cool

>We both love movies and shes a bro
>she

Freshman year at a brainlet school. Changing my major hopefully soon. I think it is going well, finding a passion for music. Does going to a brainlet school really as bad you people make it out to be?

My gf keeps cucking me and I'm secretly starting to enjoy it

See, /pol/? I told you one day things would just click and start working out for you. You are a white man, after all, your penis is too small to satisfy anyone. It is better if you step back and let a PoC handle your white woman.

We hardly have any "PoC", and I'm not from /pol/

>We hardly have any "PoC"
Then who is pleasuring your white woman?

>tfw she likes it when i fuck her really hard

she must secretly be a guy

Other white guys, duh. I mean I wouldn't mind if it was a "PoC" but at the end of the day it matters none to me. You're kinda weird for projecting your interracial fantasies on me

>Other white guys
You are just delaying the problem. Maybe these white guys have a chode slightly bigger than yours and she is getting a rush from getting filled more than usual but the result will be that eventually, she will get tired of these too. You need an actual man to stuff your white woman. You need a "final solution" so to speak.

Why are you so obsessed with interracial?

>Cell bio
Pretty neat shit. You have to truly understand what is going on in a cell and intuitively understanding it. It's a giant culmination of genetics, biochem, and -omics. Professor is an unholy mix of /g/ and Veeky Forums but still cares about his students. Inspired me to better myself as a student and learn Perl, R, MATLAB, and dick around in Biolinux suite.
>Animal physiology
Half stamp collecting half intuition. Professor basically researches salamander dicks so most of it is amphibian based but he still knows his mammalian shit and a hint of birds. Cool professor. Bodybuilds on the side. Strange mix of chad and Veeky Forums.
>Career Dev in Bio
Meme class. Ezpz GPA boost. Gained interview and resume + CV skills though, so not worthless
>Biochem
Taught by a pchem professor who works with chaperone proteins. Pretty boring. Somewhat difficult. Lots of premeds. Annoying but foundationally important.

virology = 400 level biology class, in depth study of viruses. my favorite class so far. It made me order a syringe from amazon and perform elisa test ( also from amazon) to see if i have hiv, also confirmed I dont by the walgreens hiv test.

this shit is something you pay out of pocket for your 'doctor' to do rofl

Man, semester schedules look more fun. I'm on a quarter schedule, so typically 3 5 credit classes is the load, which means that we run through things super quick. It's sort of nice only having to focus my energy on 3 classes at once, but in upper division I'm finding I'd much rather take more classes, as it's less of a chore and more of a passion.

What's your bioenergetics, biosynthesis and metabolic regulation course about? I am always astounded at the amount of ways to approach biological systems, and the more I learn about bioinformatics and the way these systems all tie into an incredibly comprehensive model just blows my mind.

Is this in burgerland? Seems quite low, depending on position. 65k is what i'm at in yuropoor after 2 years with them, formal methods division. Also hefty bonus for headhunting, 50k after signing for both me and him, i get 100k after 3 years if he stays.