When do we cure cancer? Where's the improvement since 2000?

When do we cure cancer? Where's the improvement since 2000?

Other urls found in this thread:

ted.com/talks/elizabeth_wayne_we_can_hack_our_immune_cells_to_fight_cancer
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There are many cures for cancers now. There's still a lot of cancers that don't have cures.

Which cancer?

Stupid question, there are many types of cancer, some we can completely cure, some can be handled pretty well, some we can't cure yet. It's like asking "when do we cure diseases"

Damn, that comic makes cancer sound fucking awesome if it can break all those rules of biology. Why are we trying to eradicate it? We should be trying to harness it's powers and become gods.

as long as it's worth 170+ billion dollars a year it isnt going anywhere.

Cancer is too profitable to be treated intelligently or prevented, much less cured.

>Why are we trying to eradicate it? We should be trying to harness it's powers
Not sure if you're just trying to be funny, but I agree it's often a good idea to try to exploit problems to get some benefit out of them instead of just putting all your energy into trying to destroy them e.g. making use of parasites or even viruses to solve other medical problems.

>It's like asking "when do we cure diseases"
That's not a bad question though. If you could go beyond our history of solving one disease at a time and come up with a solution to the entire set of all human disease, that'd be a pretty great accomplishment. And it's not as unrealistic as you're implying. One obvious approach would be getting people entirely off of the substrate of natural biology. Machine based sentience would be exempt from the entirety of biological disease, and while it's not an existing technology yet it's also not anywhere close to impossible. We've already artificially reproduced some multicellular organisms' complete brain structures through conventional / already existing computer programming techniques.

No I'm serious, the first thing it says is
>Deactivate programmed limits in lifespan and how many times its DNA can be copied

We need to get in on that and learn how to do it at will.

>try to make yourself immortal
>end up turning into a walking pile of tumors instead
Seems risky desu.

The hayflick limit is there for a reason. Indefinite expression of telomerase increases cancer rate, which is in part mediated by membrane dysfunction.

Subverting this pathway of programmed cell death is definitely not the first thing you do.

not with nanobots advancing parallel to Immortal Technology.

Cells are nanobots.

cancer isa divine curse for the sins of man. It cannot be cured anymore than the last plagues which still ravage the earth. Only turned away for a time, before it ravishes the earth in the eternal return. You get to live a while longer while you bankrupt and starve to death.

Not sure if you meant in a Biblical sense or not, but it is usually a result of a poor life choice, i.e.; a lifelong smoker is more at risk to get lung cancer, so that is their punishment.

Cancer sucks and all but it's a necessary evil to keep populations under control, like any illness.

ted.com/talks/elizabeth_wayne_we_can_hack_our_immune_cells_to_fight_cancer

u might like this folks

I can't stand to hear or talk about disease treatment of any kind when I've read literally thousands of papers concerning naturally occurring compounds, of various origins, that show profound efficacy. And none of it is put into use, ever. All this horseshit about the next big thing, all the false mystery, and the false struggle. We live in a world of illusion, and the bulk of the human species are no more than cows to be milked and discarded.

Every society eventually shakes out to a solid and well organized enough power structure, that it ultimately stagnates and descends into hypocrisy, dissonance, and finally, overt tyranny. The west is there now. The east is following, albeit more slowly.

No progress can be made here. None. There are too many players, and too many hands in the pie.

two thirds of cancers are spontaneous, no amount of dieting and exercise will prevent them

>two thirds of cancers are spontaneous
That's quite a lofty claim.

They had to be caused by something, the person probably just didn't know what. Could be as simple as a bug bite they got as a kid that took years to manifest somehow.

>When do we cure cancer?

When we become machine.

Knudson's hypothesis will soon be outdated due to the new evolutionary perspective of cancer. We will never be able to stop cancer from forming as long as we are human, but we will be able to treat rogue cells from ever developing into a tumor necessitating chemotherapy (call that a cure if you want).

>naturally occurring compounds, of various origins, that show profound efficacy.

Yeah I don't know what does what, but my mom has stage 4 lung cancer and she started using those medical cannabis oil drops. A year later and her tumor shrunk and she's feeling fine. I mean it's still stage 4, she'll probably die within a year, but at least for the time being it's better managed. It's crazy how much curative stuff is in plants. Though she did radiation too but not chemo, so not sure how much was the oil vs the radiation.

>poor life choice
Like being a child
Children die of cancer all the time.

Anyone who would choose to be a child has definitely made a mistake.

Here is a solution. Burn the cancer. Burn it until nothing is left. What I hear is that these cells have turned traitorous. As such in life. Kill all traitors first.

Behold. A weapon to surpass common radio-therapy.
Protons. Harnessed into a partical beam so precise it does no damage to exterior DNA. So exact that it can obliterate hair width cancerous roots and even those tumors with veins wrapped around themselves that no ordinary doctor would dare operate on. All while delivering almost no radiation to the surrounding tissue.

Proton therapy ftw desu desu-

You say that like machine sentience will be perfect

you sound like a little bitch, if this was avengers we would be doing it

No, I said it like machines won't get diseases. Because they won't.

Half the cancers people get are curable even now.
As for the shit ones (brain/lung/pancreas etc), combine
>early screening
>targeted chemo
>targeted and tailored immunotherapy
>improved targeted radiotherapy guided by improved imaging
and we'd progressively get to some solid 70-80% 5y survival rate by 2040.
IMO, cancer deaths will probably be eradicated in the 2050-2070 period with advanced immunotherapy.