Computer science, self-taught or university

I want to learn computer science, i've already taught myself how to code but I've heard that comp science helps you right much more structured code, is it worth going to university for 3 years or should i just buy some computer science books and self teach

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
scotthyoung.com/blog/myprojects/mit-challenge-2/
reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/10vjy0/i_spent_the_last_12_months_learning_mits_4year/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

write*

if you want structure get a software engineering degree

its geared towards enterprise software development

computer science focuses on theory

depends on your end game

Ideally I'd like to be a freelance web/app designer, but I know that's a tough road to go down

if you want to be a tradesman, at least pick a non-meme trade like plumber or electrician

Just self teach. Understand that computer science is more about the nature of computation and computational machinery our universe allows, than individual algorithms, or algorithms relative to a specific system. Also, read Knuth's books.

Computer Science really is a generalist's field. Any approach used to solve a problem using a "computer" is indistinguishable from the approaches used by the brain, a network of cells, or even an individual cell. Every task requires a means, and the means is defined by the underlying logic of the universe, not the mechanics of a specific machine. Anyone with a genuine affinity for computer science is near certainly good at molecular biology as well.

You don't need a CS degree for that.

Web design is quite plebeian. Doesn't even really involve programming. I doubt most designers even write HTML/CSS directly anymore. There's probably GUI software they can use.

Also, a brief addition. The first thing to get out of your mind is the common fallacy that computers are math machines. They're not, they're signal manipulators that just happen to be able to do math. It's an old matter of philosophy, math appears to be made of signals and signals appear to be made of math, but whatever. The matter as it appears now is quite clear, there is not a single machine known that can be said to "run on math". The means for math are universally signal generation and processing. Always.

Mathematicians are, in general, mediocre programmers. Modern hardware allows these types to exist, and when you're going through a codebase you can always tell when a person's background and mind is rooted in mathematics. Modulus operations used liberally, divides and multiplies everywhere, repeated expensive calculations that can either be precomputed, or moved out of a loop, done once, and maintained by cheap operations. Etc. The effort just isn't there, and they're writing software for an idealized machine that just doesn't reflect reality. Don't be that guy. Man, just don't be that guy. Always make sure mathematical theory and logic maps correctly to mechanical reality.

Self teach all the way.

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering

Self taught. Unis want to turn you into a cog that can be replaced.

Self taught but only if you have high IQ.

very much this. people like to call cs majors brainlets and all but, honestly speaking, theyre actually not the ones who would write code like you see in the CS degree meme pics. there's a difference between people who can follow along with the stuff they see on screen, and the people who really understand what the fuck your compiler is doing

not OP but interested in the same question.

How will I go about with self teaching myself CS? I'm very interested in theory but with some practical examples as well.
Is there a course(s) or book(s) that are highly recommend?

I'm 24 and feel like I've fucked up by wasting a lot of time, I want to get back on my feet.

Can you do this with brainlet (115) IQ?

I have a long way to go

Much appreciated user

if you think computer science is about writing code, then you a truly retarded

possible.
i) practice coding (recommending java or python)

ii) practice math (pre calc, calcI,II,III, linear algebra, discrete mathematics)
desu just look up any universities comp sci courses and find the textbooks and learn based off of that.

What if you can do everything but the last one?

Wix.com has beat you to easy web design.
Apps market is still saturated pretty well.

Freelance will be tough.

Try

anybody in here got any experience with Assembler? I've got this weird-ass problem with reading a string. every time I do a user-input string, and then I read it back to make sure it went in right, the first character in the string has been changed to a non-typeable symbol. took me looking to the ascii charts to realize that the symbol matches the hex value of however many characters I entered. there's literally nothing I can see in my code that would make it do that; I commented out everything other than what's needed to call ReadString and then WriteString afterwards and it still does that. Am I retarded, or is this something esoteric?

1b, 2c,3b,3c,3d,4a,4e,5a,5d,5e,6b,6c(both of them) and 6f are best studied in the classroom. You don't need a degree, but it is best to learn these with an instructor lead course.

I would guess that 99% of the people on Veeky Forums couldn't do all of those in their spare time quick enough to be young and ready for a new career.

You need something difficult to push you.
The CS courses that taught me the most were: Data Structures and Algorithms, Compiler Design, and Operating System Design. You will learn how to think in algorithms and it will propel your programming career.
Go to classes and compete with your peers. It’s like real life. You will find out if you are good enough, and if not, best to know sooner than later.
One last thing: it must be your singular passion. If you don’t wake up itching to get back into the algorithms, you will be left in the dust from your college peers.
Best of luck to you. There is nothing like it, as it combines principles mathematics and art. Both pinnacles of human endeavor.

On the internet, people can say anything without any basis of fact. The internet is made of 90%, prime, free range, Grade A bullshit. When bulls take a shit, it decomposes into digital matter which evaporates into cyber airwaves and becomes "internet."

That little laundry list posted there is a bunch of bullshit. There might be a super tiny amount of people in America with the ability to follow that, have a means to live and a will to live, but really, only 7i-7iv is something you can do completely and utterly by yourself before you die.

This.
Youve stated nothing about your career goals, for all we know youre a fucking mailman looking into a new hobby

Only 3c (learn proofs) is something that would be hard to learn on your own. Mainly because you need someone (a professor, graduate student, or math undergrad) who knows what they are doing to check your work when you don't have the mathematical maturity to do it yet. You don't need to take a class but you do need to have at least one mathematical friend.

>I would guess that 99% of the people on Veeky Forums couldn't do all of those in their spare time quick enough to be young and ready for a new career.

scotthyoung.com/blog/myprojects/mit-challenge-2/
reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/10vjy0/i_spent_the_last_12_months_learning_mits_4year/

it has SCIENCE in the word not artist. Watch some youtube videos and you can design a website