Human head transplant feasibility

The first human head transplant was scheduled to be performed this year. The procedure is expected to cost 11 million dollars (it was originally predicted to cost 16 million).

Medical procedures become more affordable as time goes on. How long will it take to become affordable?

It is also quite possible that with improved medical technology, aging and death may be defeated.

My wife and I have already had our full genomes scanned, and saved.

We have also arranged 80k each to have our brains cryogenically preserved.

When brain connectome scanning becomes a thing, we're going to have our nervous systems scanned, so our consciousness can be backed up to a computer.

How long until a human head transplant becomes feasible for the middle to upper-middle class?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_suicide_and_immortality
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Genome sequences aren't 100% perfect and you'd need epigenetic DNAse and Chipseq assays done in order to collect full genomic information (something no service is doing commercially yet).

Connectome, sorry to say nii-senpai, requires the subject be dead as it utilizes ultra-thin slicing technology with electron microscopy in order to map neurons, which is not doable to a living subject.

Transplants are useless, there's no way to treat the mutations that build over time in the dermis or brain, so your head will more than likely after more than ~100 years total lifespan obtain cancer, and even if one round is survived, it would likely relapse over and over again until death, costing millions of dollars of essential life-support without any way to actually live your life.

Cryogenic preservation is a meme, cells will start undergoing mitsosis at weird intervals if thawed unevenly, and there is no way to thaw evenly. It might be possible through gene editing, but it's impossible to edit every cell in your head without having been born from an edited zygote.

Next generation might have it good, but I'm remiss to say you're shit out of luck OP.

Haven't we heard fucking nothing about it since April? I really doubt it'll go ahead in November.

We're both Millennials though. And our grandparents and great grandparents have lived past 80-90 years. We also eat healthy and exercise.

That's true- but, what I mean by next generation is that efforts to combat certain problems- like mutation gain via cancer, using CRISPR modified sperm or eggs.

It's been a while since I've had a course on the mechanics of cancer, but if I recall correctly, there are 7-9 or so genes that if mutated will give cancer, by stopping the mechanisms that prevent unlimited cell growth, allowing cells to leech nutrients from others, allowing metastasis, etc., and it's estimated we build up those mutations about one on average every 8 years in our cells, which can be lengthened or shortened by various means. Past a certain biological age, when our telomeres have worn down and we start deteriorating rapidly due to old age, that figure kicks up a hell of a lot.

We might be able to fix the telomere issue with drugs that can work like telomerase, but the cancer thing is kind of hard to fix. You might be able to live until 100, maybe a bit beyond, but the chances of any immortality effort working on you is incredibly slim- it might be best to live in the now rather than worrying about it.

>so our consiousness can be backed up to a computer
Have fun wasting money so some other asswipe computer program who thinks hes you can live forever. Its kind of vain to think the future needs you so bad that you are willing to spend thousands of dollars to have the future experience you, while you dont even get to experience that future. Just accept the fact that everyone dies. The only way you will ever experience immortality is if they find a way to make your genes replicate perfectly everytime. That’s literally the only way YOU get to be immortal, everything else is analogous to cloning yourself(see useless for you personally). You would be better off donating that 80k to telomere genetic research.

Every time you fall asleep, you die, and someone else wakes up in your place thinking they're you. The continuity of identity is a lie.

Thats a meme too. My neurons are, more or less, the same as they were when i fell asleep. Either way, i will humor you, lets say what you claim is true and the continuity of identity IS an illusion. I am a different person each time i wake up but the transition is so seamless i dont even notice. Is there really any difference between an illusion that is so persistent as to be indistinguishable from reality, and reality itself? The problem with brain uploading is that the illusion ends for you. The ship of theseus approach could possibly be viable but the only approach to immortality that we know will work is genetic modification to the point of errorless cell division.

This. Downloading yourself is a fucking meme, very simple to disprove.

>Take brain scan/downloaded personality/whatever
>Bring downloaded version of you online
>Oh look there is two of you, not one

The only realistic route is either biological immortality or slowly replacing parts of yourself with machine replicas.

i don't know about transplants but i got human head from your mom last night

no immortality for you, Typhon

>The ship of theseus approach could possibly be viable

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_suicide_and_immortality

The longest lived (or immortal) version of you, is "you". This would almost certainly be a VR duplicate.

I said *possibly* viable. I am actually of the belief that ship of theseus-ing your brain would result in you slowly fading out while being replaced by a robot copy. I have no proof for this, only a hypothesis, which is why i remain open to the possibility of it working.

>quantum suicide
I actually have given it a lot of thought, and believe it is possible. However, its unfalsifiable and therfore not worth discussion. Also its not immortality, eventually the probability of your survival is zero across all potential realities and you die.

>We have also arranged 80k each to have our brains cryogenically preserved.

I guess you and your wife must be dumb fucking cunts to waste your money on this shit.
>
When brain connectome scanning becomes a thing, we're going to have our nervous systems scanned, so our consciousness can be backed up to a computer.

Ray Kurzweil called, he wants his crazy ass bullshit back, you fucking faggot.

>How long until a human head transplant becomes feasible for the middle to upper-middle class?

60 years.

Even if you could magically "map every Neuron", it's still pure fucking manchild fantasy to think you can just "upload" your consciousness to le cloud XD. Cells are made of soft matter, it's dynamic and extremely complex. Brain uploading is the same thing as believing in an afterlife for atheists, because atheists are just as retarded as religifags.

>Transplants are useless
Nah. A vat-grown replacement isn't conceptually infeasible. Of course for the actual brain itself there's not much to be done, but replacing hearts, livers and other tissues is a valid concept.

>Cryogenic preservation is a meme, cells will start undergoing mitsosis at weird intervals if thawed unevenly

You can't even fucking freeze and thaw large human tissues without destroying them with ice-crystals you nigger.

Let's have a little thought experiment then. Let's say I can create a clone identical to you. Would you be fine with being burned alive as long as I create an identical clone of you that can go on living. Continuity of identity is a lie amirite? You fucking retarded niggerfaggot.

Wait, you paid 80k x2 to have your brains removed and frozen? You would be the persons this contract applies yes? Then by the time you are no longer here why do you think this contract would be valid if you are legally dead? Who would even sue if they decide to remove your brains an toss them to the trash afterwards?

This. How do i get into the brain freezing business? Seems quite lucrative.

>However, its unfalsifiable

Wrong.

Why use a donor's entire body on one human when you could instead save 8 lives?

>you can't even fucking freeze
I'm talking about theoretical flash-freeze, which is a fucking meme, I agree- it's just that thawing would have to occur simultaneously which is impossible.

>Transplants...
I was talking about the fact that brain tissue, skin tissue on the head, etc. would maintain the amount of mutations no matter what, so you'd get brain or skin cancer in the head shortly after replacing your head at an old age anyways. Learn to read faggot.

>wasting 160k on voo doo
swindling goyim cattle can't possibly be THIS easy

i dunno
they have done expieriments were people get along just fine with just half a brain, and one hemisphere removed.

I can see a ship of thesius thing happening like this

clone brain and spinal cord
put in stasis.
make sure to start recording a log from starting point.
when time comes cut corpus collosum, take half the brain and replace it with the same cloned hemisphere
, wait till it takes
rehab and physical therapy
then do it again with the second hempisphere

given your corpus collsum would be gone so theres that competing hempisheres thing you'd have to deal with ,
and you might have to have a colostomy type opening so your spinal cord can be easily transplanted.

Even by taking a gun to your head, you cant prove that its not random chance that you survived.

>When brain connectome scanning becomes a thing, we're going to have our nervous systems scanned, so our consciousness can be backed up to a computer.
But why? You brainlets have miserable life. Why do you want to prolong your embarrassment?

>We have also arranged 80k each to have our brains cryogenically preserved.
I'm sure your children won't miss that money.

josiah zayner tho

>I really doubt it'll go ahead
I see what you did there.

Just realized that one day science will resolve the problem with incest. One day all of humanity could be descendant from one person?

>Every time you fall asleep, you die, and someone else wakes up in your place thinking they're you. The continuity of identity is a lie.

I see the anti science tards have over run this thread. There is a very good reason radical science advancements have always taken place in the dark, sneaking around in graveyards, in cellars, in secret bunkers, in secret labs, etc.... Because if We listened to the naysayers Nothing would have ever gotten done. We'd still be living in mud huts listening to old women bark that building houses out of stone was crazy and would never work.

Anyhow, to the topic at hand. I really hope that it works. If it can be shown that a head transplant on to a different body is possible, than we have shown that we can basically transplant anything to anything else. The main draw backs, we don't quite have the technology to re connect the spinal columns, we're close though. And, then you have the issue of tissue rejection, the body is gonna say what the hell is that!

I don't see something like this becoming common practice though, people i think would much rather stay in their own bodies. And, the technology to cure everything and pause - reverse aging is not really that far off.

Short term, the appeal of something like this would be for some super old, very wealthy guy who doesn't want to go, and doesn't want to bother with the cryonics voodoo, Who'd be willing to sit there as a quadriplegic while we figure out how to reconnect the spinal columns. As to the tissue rejection issue, You're never gonna get around that. If you are suck as that transplanted head, you are gonna need someone to figure out how to take your DNA, and clone a perfect genetic match of you, ideally completely headless to get around ethics issues, and grow that to the age of at least the mid teens, and then take that head and place it on to that body.