Other urls found in this thread:

tor.com/2017/03/20/march-2017-free-download-way-of-kings/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>science fiction and fantasy general
>fantasy goes before science fiction in the imgur links

triggering my ocd desu

>penis escaping the bottomless vagina.jpg

there was certainly that subtext if you knew how to look
>Rorshach is feminine essence, a labyrinth, destructive without even being self-aware, a large hairy egg
>Theseus, get it? is male essence, a long bendy tube injecting little agents into the egg, attempting to gather its secrets
>driven wild with lust, Theseus drops a bomb and returns home

half of me hates you, the other half grudgingly laughs

tbf we're much better at reccing fantasy

>fantasy is talked about more
>fantasy is more popular
>when general first started fantasy had more submissions (and charts) than scifi
>anons had to beg people to make scifi charts
>why is fantasy before scifi

you guys one of us posted outside our containment thread

we should know our rightful place and show deference to Veeky Forums for allowing us to post here. this kind of thing might piss them off in the future so in order to keep us from getting exiled to Veeky Forums or /toy/with the rest of the manchildren scum like ourselves I think we should be more careful in the future.

now lets continue to indulge in childish fantasies.

>how do you do fellow genre fans

user says angrily while jacking off with a fleshlight stuffed with pages of Ulysses.

woah, thanks for letting us know. the patricians are our betters and we would do well to appease them I propose in rectitude for our offense we offer up one of ourselves to be permabanned from this website. lest they think we take their kindness for weakness rather than the awesome pity for our wretched selves that it truly is

This. I have burned my 340-book genre fiction library and I suggest you do the same.

TUC
EXCERPT?

Just finished Fall of Hyperion. Fuck. There was definitely some stuff that went over my head, but what a satisfying conclusion to the first book.

Are 3 and 4 worth reading?

>trust me guys I'm one of you
I wonder who is behind this post....

put tears coming out from behind the mask

Fuuhhk, did I leave my webcam on again?

>scifi charts
Here's your soft SF

Now, months on and after more reading, I would put Ballard's The Drowned World in there instead of Finney's Body Snatchers, and include Miller's A Canticle For Leibowitz.

Can somebody throw a military sci-fi chart together?

More people here read fantasy so you get slightly more varied recommendations, as well as the usual 10 or so authors repeated ad nauseam.

No

Any good Gothic style fantasy that isn't a romance written by a female

Jesus christ. This ran through my mind when I read it... are you monitoring me...

... Gormenghast?

Great Idea. Updated

Jack Vance > Gene Wolfe

Seven Forges is a bit shit lads

I told you it was shitty. The premise of living gods using their chosen people to fuck up the non believers was nice. I also liked the augmented limbs slowly turning you into a many mouthed freak. And you being taken advantage by a muscular grey girl who has a tight cunny that squeezes you out. But the author dropped the ball somewhere.

I dropped it at book 4? I can't remember. After they awoke the statues to defend the city it got more shit. Dropped it after that

How far you reached?

I've now grown to hate writing, reading, drawing, cooking and playing video games

am I free to kill myself yet /sffg/?

not until you hate browsing the internet and masturbating

I doubt it, given what Himes's real plan was.

>how do you do fellow genre fans
Took me 3 hours in gimp

I'm most of the way through the third Dying Earth book. Vance is certainly funnier. more than I had anticipated. The two Cugel books are full of chicanery, scams, slow burning ruses, battled wits, made and lost fortunes, with the protag invariably leaving a wake of destruction behind him. There is some Pratchett level wit, dry humor and irony in the two Cugel books.

The first Dying Earth book is grimdark by comparison. But in all of them, Vance can present an impressively imaginative image, monster, or spectacle.

Why did you delete and remake?

You're a sharp-eyed so-and-so. I had left a half finished sentence/gibberish at the bottom.

Anyway, assuming the last part of Cugel's saga is as good as the rest, I think it would merit a strong 4/5 dinos.

I'm about 150 pages into Endymion. Obviously a very different book, but so far it's fine for what it is.

With those hobbies I gather you've already come to hate tv and movies.

Try walking outside with audiobooks.

Can someone help me remember the name of a book I'm fairly confident is science fiction? The title is kind of nonsense I think. I don't remember the name but it's formatted something like:
All nouns verbing on the something adjective
It's right on the tip of my tongue and I'll remember it as soon as I see it, but I can't think of it for the life of me right now. Part of me wants to say it starts with "All lights burning" but I don't think that's right.

>"dino as metric measurements"user is also catfag or Cherryhfag user
You exposed yourself

No, I just know the same stale memes you do.

>fantasy

I've run out of books that interest me. Everything is either cringey, boring or just disgusting to picture

see You like? Notice me Senpai

3/4 way through the first book. Cba going any further.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. I'd suggest putting stereotypical fantasy things on it but I can't think of something everyone will pick up on as being plebbish.

>anons had to beg people to make scifi charts
Except literally the opposite, at least as far as selected charts go.

>I would put Ballard's The Drowned World in there
Very similar to Hothouse though, don't you think?

It's an interesting matter to consider and a comparison could easily form a lengthy essay.

In terms of landscape there's a crossover, but Hothouse's setting is far more primordial, with no remnants of society, and all the predators are plant-based (and the protags are little green people.) Whereas the Drowned World still has vestiges of civilisation, which Ballard loves to contrast surreally with primordial symbols; iguanas in board rooms, submerged submariums, giant crocodiles led by a man in a white suit, etc.

Thematically, I recall Hothouse had a lot in it about imperialism (the morel) and Carl Jung's archetypes characterise some of the setting. Ballard was more single-mindedly writing about psychotic regression - but he clearly has also read Jung (the warm waters are like a womb.) There's also a womb-like vegetation in Hothouse which seduces people subconsciously.

But yes, in broad strokes, they're both about a hotter planet making people act less civilised. In Hothouse the regression is thousands of years along.

>submariums

planetariums

>reread His Dark Materials
Why couldn't Lyra have traveled with Will until he closed all the windows except for the one in the world of the dead, and the one between their two worlds?
Why rebuild the Republic of Heaven especially when the fight was against them in the first place?

Then it would have been a happy ending and Pullman's friends would have laughed at him.

What's the best cosmic horror out there? Not so much scary aliens who rip you to pieces, but shit like
>oh hey, it turns out that this FTL drive technology actually works by tunneling you into the dimension on the other side of the Shining Trapezohedron, oops

Are there any good mixtures of "high quality" pulp scifi with cosmic horror elements? Sort of like, it's revealed that this godawful horrific shit simply exists, as a matter of course, as an element of an otherwise bog-standard scifi setting?

I remember reading Warhammer 40k fluff blurbs with obvious Lovecraft inspiration as a kid, and they were always short and gnomic enough that they really got my imagination going. The setting as a whole is left intact, you're just given these little bits of information that imply horrific things are happening all over the place as part of normal business.

When is this gonna get an anime adaptation?

We know your mew book is coming out. Stop posting about it.

Hull zero 3

Any of you read the new powder mage books? How is it?

dropped it at le edgy duelist and haven't been back

way of kings free for 2 days

tor.com/2017/03/20/march-2017-free-download-way-of-kings/

Peter F. Hamilton's "The Naked God" has a bit of this.

There's a alternate dimension that's kind of like an afterlife where a bunch of souls are stuck in a very cold sea that exists in kind of a void, and because of the cold none of them can gather enough energy to escape because it dissipates too fast.

There are also cultists that are doing some magical bullshit to conquer planets and absorb the souls of people in them, if I remember correctly.

I read it quite a long time ago, though, so I don't remember if it was good or not. I enjoyed it, but I was 14 at the time, so no promises.

sequels out lad

it's building up to a war

>doing a piss poor job of shilling a book no one is interested in
Not even surprised

Is the Second Foundation fanfiction worth reading?

Just got to that part in Dust of Dreams where Olar Ethil claims she's Burn and talks about scourging humanity from the earth.What the fuck is going on. 9 books in and everything I know is turned upside down again.

My head was full of fuck at that point too. Didn't really become less full of fuck as the book went on either.
t. TCG reader.

Doesn't make up for stopping the Malazan Reread when other rereads can continue tbH.

What are guys reading? You aren't talking, so it has to be you're reading who are you fooling? You have no life outside reading and posting in Veeky Forums

What a terrible title.

female warriors ruin books

Why are you trying to force a meme? It's not going to catch on. I will not make a macro for it because it's stupid.

>rereading Asimov
>muh sardines
>muh anti-intellectualism
Jesus this is literally t. the author

>REQUEST sci-fi with no commerce, empire or military?

I want to go to a far future I barely recognise, I'm bored of military and mercantile terminology and mere extrapolated components of our culture, maybe something utopian...but strange and almost alien, though I'm not into aliens or anything too fantastical, I want to read about a really culturally evolved humanity, instead of just technologically evolved.

Any suggestions?

Almost finished Malazan 1. Interesting book, will read the rest. Liked Kruppe and Crokus.

House Of Suns, by A Reynolds?

>Molly Millions

Refuted.

>every cunny akka has had has been stolen by chads
>he even dreams about being cucked
>akka biggest cuck in existence

Have you tried bv larson?

Any good series that involves the main protag growing up into an adult as the story progresses? Or generally series that involves drastic character developments?

Painted man. Though it isn't exactly good.

I'm a kissless virgin and reading bakker has turned me away from women. I never knew it's so easy for someone to talk the panties off a woman. I don't want to be cheated upon. I don't want to be burt. If that means I die a virgin, so be it.

>I don't want to be burt.
Nobody does.

The Golden Age
The Dying Earth stories
Dune
The Book of the New Sun

Speaker for The Dead series, and Ender's Shadow series.

Is there any scifi that functions like generic fantasy where instead of getting new/stronger magical powers the protag just gets more impressive tech?

There's quite a few series like it i.e. Vorkosigan Saga started with the protagonist's parents meeting and in the latest book he's in his 40's

Gemmell's Drenai books too do a similar thing

start lofting and get the testosterone back into your body bruh

Orson Scott Card, Treason.

Actually it's magic powers but it's called tech.

Only if you are that desperate to retcon the ending of Foundation and Earth in a manner that still makes some level of sense.

Ok, time travel is involved, but Asimov previously used it in one of the First Galactic Empire novels so it isn't like it was introduced with no basis.

Who hype here?

>Dalinar's book
>his edgy fedora niece gets the front cover
suffering

I-is that muh waifu Jaznah?

Dark Forest-user here, just starting Deaths End. Cixin, or the translator, is really getting better at writing as the trilogy progresses. He can really capture the essence of a global initiative and the UN in a way I've only read before in the autobiography of the ex-head of UNAIDS. He's climbing my ladder of authors.

On a side note, Peter Watts is incredibly good at responding to mail. He just sent me a lovely tit-bit my way after I shared an interesting article with him about octopus evolution. If you finish reading his stuff don't hestitate to e-mail the dude.

That concludes my thoughts.

I kinda fell in love with Greg Egan's works, especially the earlier ones where his imagination seems much stronger than his literary talent. Are there any similar authors and books?

>Orson Scott Card, Treason
Not him but will try. I heard yall shilling this last year. Imma finally give.

>8 months away
might as well be 100 years away right now

>lofting
?????
All my 10 years on 4chins I visited Veeky Forums twice. And this was back when it was fitness and health. When they had actual doctors lurking there. Don't know your aesthetics memes Sorry.

>doctors on Veeky Forums
That's the real fantasy

>actual doctors lurking
I wish we had a /med/ board so anons could try to top each other with fake malady/med school stories all day.

american covers suck

Yes. Get fucking hype. Apparently it's from a scene in the book where giants invade a city.

I'm reading Malazan 8, toll the hounds.
Unfortunately I already read spoilers about how Hood dies to dragnipur so I kind of fucked myself in the ass, but it's still a fantastic book.

I can't wait to see Mappo and Icarium's reunion (if there's one, no spoilers please).

They used to be there. They left (?? like I said I haven't been there since 2012) when moot made it a fitness only board and took away the health.

Kevin stop making up random fairy tales and go read them instead.