Sup Veeky Forums

Sup Veeky Forums

What's the earliest occurrence that you can think of, in any mythology, of artificial bodies, as in, human soul/spirit/whatever with a man/God-made body?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_pluralism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuada_Airgetlám
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

genesis

Can you give me some examples, Satan?

Genesis 2:7 "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

I have a similar question. When were aliens first hypothesized to exist?

Since we've known about other planets since ancient times someone must have thought maybe there was life on them. Or on the moon for that matter.

Golems have existed in Hebrew mythology for quite some time. They're at least as old as the Talmud but probably much older.

Bruno did say about other planets and people on them, at least. That kind of shit is what he was burned for, not exactly the heliocentrism

The ancients described the planets themselves as living beings though; Jupiter Mars et al

Planets weren't originally thought to be like Earth. They were assumed to be stars. The thing that made them different from the other stars and that got them a special name is that they would move. The word 'planet' actually comes from the old Greek word for 'wanderer.'

If armies ever start using robots for combat it would be really cool if Israel called theirs golems.

Was that literal?

Hephaestus had a couple of "robot" servants to help at his forge.

Impossible to say really. May have depended on the individual

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_pluralism

since le greeks, at least on some level

Nuada of the Irish pantheon had a silver arm that replaced one lost in battle. Of course back then that meant you could no longer be King as they were supposed to be flawless. He later found his arm preserved in a bog, reattached it and reclaimed kingship.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuada_Airgetlám

lol irish are so stupid

I too always forget where I put my arm

>PATRICK ME SON
>YE ARE MAN, NAO
>YE MOOST CHOOSE
>WILL YUO TAKE BYUUTFYL SILVER ARM FROM HEAVENS ABOOVE, IMBUED WITH POW'R OF YE GODS
>OR WILL YUO TAKE ARM FROM 70-YEAR OLD CORPSE ROTTING IN YE BOG

Enkidu in the Epic of Gilgamesh you can't find an older story

>AW DAMM, THATSA TUFFIE
>CAN AH NAWT GIT A DRINK FIRST EN THINK AEBOUTIT?

OP here
Golems are hiffy because they're completely artificial, including their souls.
I'm talking about
>you take man
>he gonna get ded
>put his soul into artifishul body
>he dont ded
This is more what I'm talking about.
I'm writing lyrics about transhumanism and needed some inspiration

Thought of his automatons too but they weren't living beings in the proper sense, they were just machines that could walk and do shit for him.